Sponsored by:

Oil Light Indicator -15%

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Light Indicator -15%

Guys.

I have a 04'-05' TL and well the oil percentage display shows me at -15% I am sure this means how good the oil is, meaning 100% is good viscosity and the less the worse the condition the oil is. I did an oil change a while back so no worries, but how do I reset this thing?

Also anyone know if this is a good indication of when to change oil or is rule of the thumb to just stick with every 3,000 miles?

Thanks any help with be necessary.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
There are a zillion posts on how to do this - go to 3G Garage and search.

You are a bit misguided about the Oil Life display - it does not measure viscosity, which can go up or down as the car piles on miles. The MiD uses an algortithm that looks at things like RPM, start/stop cycle lengths, speeds, etc. The real "wear" factor in oil is its TBN number (total base number). As the additive pack is depleted, acidity goes up, and when TBN falls below about 1, there is risk of high engine wear, as the oil is "naked" to the byproducts of combustion and wear that are normall dealt with by additive chemsitry.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

The way it is supposed to work, is when the oil life gets below a certain percentage (i believe 10%) the service light should be triggered. At the dealership when they change the oil, they reset the light. If your doing oil changes yourself, i'm not sure of how you would reset the light (there are tools for this sort of thing, but i'm not sure where you would be able to buy them). The idea is that the lenght of time between oil changes is determined by the quality of the oil, not by an arbitrary distance.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Road Rage
There are a zillion posts on how to do this - go to 3G Garage and search.

You are a bit misguided about the Oil Life display - it does not measure viscosity, which can go up or down as the car piles on miles. The MiD uses an algortithm that looks at things like RPM, start/stop cycle lengths, speeds, etc. The real "wear" factor in oil is its TBN number (total base number). As the additive pack is depleted, acidity goes up, and when TBN falls below about 1, there is risk of high engine wear, as the oil is "naked" to the byproducts of combustion and wear that are normall dealt with by additive chemsitry.
If you waste the time in writing this why not tell me how to do this then telling me where to go? I never understood that? Anyhow thanks for your explanation...
Old 09-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by artdoesart
If you waste the time in writing this why not tell me how to do this then telling me where to go? I never understood that? Anyhow thanks for your explanation...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84831
Old 09-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
The procedure on page 196 of the manual is incorrect. In paragraph 3a of the manual, the requirement to hold the button for 10 seconds the second time it is pressed is omitted. If this is not done, the display will not reset.

Here’s the full procedure to reset the MID display.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Select Trip A or Trip B (You can use either one, so if you are using one to record data for something, use the other one to reset the Oil Life Indicator).

3. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

4. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.

a. If you are sure you want to reset the display, press the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds again. (This is the part omitted from the manual.)

b. If you do not want to reset the display, press the < or > button to select “Cancel”
Old 09-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I was trying to educate you, and you rip ME? That apparently was a waste of time, as you either have no interest in learning, or are incapable. What happened to self-help? honestly, the attitude evades me - all you had to do was go to 3G, but you want someone else to post it for you? I see someone did, likely out of pity.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Who cares

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I was trying to educate you, and you rip ME? That apparently was a waste of time, as you either have no interest in learning, or are incapable. What happened to self-help? honestly, the attitude evades me - all you had to do was go to 3G, but you want someone else to post it for you? I see someone did, likely out of pity.
I agree with him you could have given him a link or just explained it to him!! It seems kind of anal the way you handled it!!