Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Additives

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
acurazine sucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Additives

See my post below regarding "B" Service.

Also, the dealer said the Service Kit 3 included oil additives. Please note the paste below from Acura's Owner Link web site. Who do these guys at Courtesy Acura think they are?

What about oil additives?

American Honda recommends against the use of any oil additives other than those already blended in the stock oil. Such supplemental additives are unnecessary when using quality oils displaying the Starburst certification symbol. Additives cannot prolong the life of a used oil, because the oil molecules have been broken down. The use of oil additives will increase your cost of ownership, and can lead to engine damage.

Ed
Old 11-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that the "Service Kit 3" is a scam in the guise of a legitimate scheduled service package. Just another money-making ploy. Shame on your dealer! Your oil should require no additives to properly lubricate the engine. Not only Acura, but most auto manufacturers recommend against additives to the oil.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I will wage money that they are BG Products - totally unnecesary, and in some cases, possibly deleterious. I "debated" the local BG guy on TV once, and as a former tribologist, I cut him to ribbons (knowledge, not mean).

Check out some of my posts listed in the bottom of the 3G Garage - they will link you to my stickies at www.s2ki.com.

Here is the short version. Additives are carefully blended into quality oils. Adding more is not better, and can be worse. In some cases, the additives use colloids in suspension (ground up particles in a carrier oil) as anti-wear, anti-friction elements. But oil also look for "dirt", the by-products of combustion and imperfect air filtration. It "surrounds" the dirt to keep it from settling out, or grinding you engine away, later to be removed during the oil change. But some oils will see the new additives as dirt, emulsify them, and then your engine is left exposed to the REAL dirt.

The only additive I recommend for the engine is MaxLife Engine Protector, and that is a one-time add, for those who changed out the break-in oil early.

I only recommend the occasional use of fuel additives - I posted on fuel additives in "The RR Journals", which see (quo vide). BG's is not very impressive, and very strong - it has been known to melt the nylon in-take filters on the fuel pump, and I have seen cases where it delaminated the windings on some older fuel injector designs. 44K is designed for severely dirty top engine parts - for regular cleaning, Redline SI1/SI-2, Chevron Techron, and Pennzoil's Regane are the best, and perfectly safe.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Road Rage,
Going thru my boating forums I find a new (to me) additive called "Motor Silk".
It uses boron technology and is a one time treatment.
All the spec/performance data seems (of course) to greatly support this additive and it's
wear,temp,friction reducing properties.

Just wonder if you have heard of it and your opinion.
Thx,
Craig
Old 12-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by synoil
Road Rage,
Going thru my boating forums I find a new (to me) additive called "Motor Silk".
It uses boron technology and is a one time treatment.
All the spec/performance data seems (of course) to greatly support this additive and it's
wear,temp,friction reducing properties.

Just wonder if you have heard of it and your opinion.
Thx,
Craig
I never use them execpt for the MLEP for premature oil changes. Oil addtives are like snake oil to me - there are always new ones, and they always fail. Go the the EPA site - it is littered with false claims for oil addtives.

Lubrication Engineers oils are what i use - they are high in boron, but also have a well-tested and COMPLETE engine oil/additive composition. Adding anything willy nilly to the engine oil is a mistake, in my opinion. In some cases, the oil's dirt handling addtives will view the additives asa dirt, depeting themselves, and leaving the engine susceptible to damage from REAL combustion byproducts.

Plus, I do not believe there is such a thing as a one-time addtive. All the anti-wear and anti-friction compounds need replenshing.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:13 AM
Instructor

I agree. thought I'd ask as LE also uses boron. I'm not sure if boron is a solid like PTFE and a clogger of small oil passages.
Craig