OEM Trunk Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021 | 03:56 AM
5th Gear

OEM Trunk Spoiler

I have a 2005 base tl with no trunk spoiler. I bought a trunk lid with a spoiler same color as my car (white) the one i bought has some minor damage to it. Would you remove the spoiler and install on my trunk or just get the one its on now repaired and swap the whole thing. TIA
Old 02-22-2021 | 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

depending on what spoiler it is you'll have to drill holes in your trunk lid to attach it.
Old 02-22-2021 | 05:31 PM
Advanced

I just installed an OE spoiler on my car. I could have ground off the bolts, I suppose, but I wanted to do it the right way. Took forever to peel off the old adhesive using a heat gun and a plastic scraper, but I was able to obtain a clean surface. Used 3M tape and cut it carefully in order to prevent water from going into the holes and into the trunk. Used the 3M tape to create a barrier wall around both bolt holes.

I also put clear bra film where the 3M tape sits in case I ever wanted to remove it. No one takes an hour long project and makes it a five day affair better than me, but at least it's the way I wanted to do it.

Car looks so much better with the spoiler. I've long held that the TL's spoiler is one of the nicest and most understated spoilers I've ever seen on a car; it finishes off the rear so nicely.
Old 02-22-2021 | 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I just installed an OE spoiler on my car. I could have ground off the bolts, I suppose, but I wanted to do it the right way. Took forever to peel off the old adhesive using a heat gun and a plastic scraper, but I was able to obtain a clean surface. Used 3M tape and cut it carefully in order to prevent water from going into the holes and into the trunk. Used the 3M tape to create a barrier wall around both bolt holes.

I also put clear bra film where the 3M tape sits in case I ever wanted to remove it. No one takes an hour long project and makes it a five day affair better than me, but at least it's the way I wanted to do it.

Car looks so much better with the spoiler. I've long held that the TL's spoiler is one of the nicest and most understated spoilers I've ever seen on a car; it finishes off the rear so nicely.
doing it right > doing it fast.

says my wife

I admire your attention to detail and going the extra mile Did you install the deck lid or the 'Wing'?
Old 02-22-2021 | 06:07 PM
5th Gear

The damage on the bottom right side of lid. Thinking of just fixing that and swapping lids to my car. So that later if i wanna add the lip to mine i wouldn't have to worry about hole i drilled.
Old 02-22-2021 | 06:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
doing it right > doing it fast.

says my wife

I admire your attention to detail and going the extra mile Did you install the deck lid or the 'Wing'?
Thanks! I did the little spoiler thing; doesn't look like it's trying too hard to be cool.
Old 02-23-2021 | 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Meltz07
The damage on the bottom right side of lid. Thinking of just fixing that and swapping lids to my car. So that later if i wanna add the lip to mine i wouldn't have to worry about hole i drilled.
Depends on how much you'll spend fixing the damage. If you fix the damage and spend a lot of money, you could have just drilled the holes and if you need to cover them have a shop weld in plates to fill the hole and paint the trunk. Won't even look like holes were ever there. Go get an estimate on how to fix the trunk, or how much to patch some holes.

FYI, with that wing holes are mandatory. You'll also need to change the trunk lid springs because that wing is way heavier.
The following users liked this post:
Meltz07 (02-24-2021)