Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To be?or not to be TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be?or not to be TURBO

ever notice the way the cat is connected to the intergrated ex.manifold,the outlet looks almost perfect to bolt on a turbo ,anyone got any specs on the cat. flange.wondering if theres a turbo that can bolt right up to it?
Old 07-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Soon, those aftermarket products will arrive... Turbo could be awesome...
Old 07-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding a turbocharger or supercharger generally isn't all that simple, although there are some bolt-on kits available for various engines.

The problem with adding a turbo to the TL is that it's already a very high compression engine to which you will try to force feed more air. Unless the engine was designed with an add-on turbo in mind, it probably won't have the internal strength to keep from grenading.

Unless the TLs engine was specifically designed with an add on turbo in mind (doubtul with high compression), you can look forward to rebuilding the engine with lower compression pistons, re-plumbing the intake and exhaust manifolds, and changing the computer to deal with the changes to the engine.

Regards,
Old 07-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

yea, i think i about it everytime i walk to my car and look under.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:49 PM
SOLD

I was just thinking about starting a thred for this before you did! We all know Honda's are great at high rpms and dogs at low. If we had a turbo to compensate for the low end, this car would probably be an amazingly fast sedan. If and hopefully when a turbo can be intergrated, if a controller were available to boost psi up from around 7-9 like normal turbos up to 15 or so, our car could be an M3/Corvette/_____ killer. It does have a very high compression ratio, so unless there is any way around it we are stuck. Then again, comptech is coming out with a bolt on supercharger, sothere MUST be some way around it. TO BE, only a matter of time.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NightRider
I was just thinking about starting a thred for this before you did! We all know Honda's are great at high rpms and dogs at low. If we had a turbo to compensate for the low end, this car would probably be an amazingly fast sedan. If and hopefully when a turbo can be intergrated, if a controller were available to boost psi up from around 7-9 like normal turbos up to 15 or so, our car could be an M3/Corvette/_____ killer. It does have a very high compression ratio, so unless there is any way around it we are stuck. Then again, comptech is coming out with a bolt on supercharger, sothere MUST be some way around it. TO BE, only a matter of time.
comptech supercharger is a very modest boost. the gains are below 60hp. it would be very unlikely to generate 15lbs of boost for this engine without some mdofication. you would have to be able to lower compression to somewhere in the 9 range to get that kind of boost. don't hold you breath for a turbocharger, the 2nd gen TL's have been around for a while now and they have basically the same engine. there is no turbocharger for that car( at least none that i know of).
Old 07-19-2004, 05:23 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by NightRider
If we had a turbo to compensate for the low end,
Turbo is the wrong thing to compensate for "Low End". keep in mind one of the biggest downfalls of the Turbo is Turbo Lag, which is because your waiting till the engine starts to crank out more exhaust in order to spool up the turbo.

A SuperCharger would be a better bet, and even then you wouldnt get much as previously stated.

I wonder if anyone makes an electronically controlled Blow Off Valve. Something like when VTec kicks in or when your above X RPM, to lower the threshold on the valve to lower your boost. I guess you would just stick to a modest boost setting for the entire range and KISS.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by TheOne305
ever notice the way the cat is connected to the intergrated ex.manifold,the outlet looks almost perfect to bolt on a turbo ,anyone got any specs on the cat. flange.wondering if theres a turbo that can bolt right up to it?
The TL is a luxury car with sporty tendencies for 40 year old dad's. Don't make it into something its not. Go buy a Civic for your drives to Ricetown.

Turbo on a TL? What's next? Fish! That's it. Put fish on a Big Mac. That'll work!

BJ
Old 07-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by boltjames
The TL is a luxury car with sporty tendencies for 40 year old dad's. Don't make it into something its not. Go buy a Civic for your drives to Ricetown.

Turbo on a TL? What's next? Fish! That's it. Put fish on a Big Mac. That'll work!

BJ
hmmm fish in big mac sounds kinda yummy....
Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames

BJ

Ya Im hungry now
Old 07-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Racer

yea especialy since im not much of a meat eater. a bigmacfish sounds yummy

anywho getting back on track... I think a Turbo would be nice, but a SC is more ideal since we would have some pretty bad lag (try to think of that train in back to the future, that doc puts in those sitcks to make it go faster and its a huge jolt) well first it would be the turbo kick, then the vetec kick... i dunno our compression ratio seems a little high to work with also :-/
Old 07-20-2004, 11:34 AM