Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not again! my poor baby

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:59 PM
100k miles club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry not again! my poor baby

this is the second time my baby was hit while parked. i was at mcdonalds an hour ago. i sat where i can see my car. i see a ford taurus pull in to park next to me. i thought to myself, hmm he's kinda close coming in. he gets out of his car and goes about his business. so i thought he cleared my car. but that same scene keeps playing in my head.

i decided to walk to my car and make sure while keeping an eye out where he's headed. and there it was, the damage. so i chase him down. here's the convo...

me: excuse me sir, did you know you just hit my car?
a-hole: oh i did, i thought i may have just bumped it ( :wtf: like he doesn't even care )

so he comes out with me to check it with me. he starts feeling it...

me: what are you doing?
a-hole: just wanna make sure it wasn't there already
me: sir, you did that. i saw you at mcdonalds pull in. look at your front bumper. the damage matches mine!
a-hole: so how do you want to do this?
me: let me get your info
a-hole: i'll give you my number and you can call me with the estimates (i am not gonna hunt for this fool so i demanded for his insurance info)
me: let me just get your insurance and license
a-hole: looks like it could just be buffed out. i'm sure you won't need a new bumper
me: doesn't matter, i'd rather have the insurance company hassle with this than me

so we exchanged info. how can someone have any disregard? and for him to even check to see if it was an old damage. didn't he see the acurazine.com sticker. you think i don't know every inch of my car and where scratches and damage exists?

i'm so pissed! he was just gonna ignore the whole situation. i know the damage doesn't seem that bad but i take good care of my car. guess i'm teritorial and sensitive about things i work my a$$ off to get. thanks for letting me rant. here are some pics

Old 03-02-2006, 05:06 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
damn that sucks bro............... I got hit & run few days ago.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Advanced

I CAN'T believe he tried to deny that!! That's unbelievable! I was reading the situation before I looked at the pics, thinking that it wouldn't be as bad, but crap... he got ya good!!!

Some people these days....

Good thing that you didn't settle with just his number... he probably was thinking that he could give you a phony one. Good job with the pic of his car also!! (Evidence)
Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
damn that sucks bro............... I got hit & run few days ago.
fuk that, i made sure i know where he was headed and followed his a$$.

i'm worried about the paint and bumper
Old 03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by mdt0034
I CAN'T believe he tried to deny that!! That's unbelievable! I was reading the situation before I looked at the pics, thinking that it wouldn't be as bad, but crap... he got ya good!!!

Some people these days....

Good thing that you didn't settle with just his number... he probably was thinking that he could give you a phony one. Good job with the pic of his car also!! (Evidence)
ya man, and of course he got some off the wall insurance company. guess i'll be paying my deductible and getting it fixed asap, have my insurance co hassle, and wait for my reimbursement. he sure did get me good. i already had a bad feeling about parking there but at the time i parked the lot was pretty empty
Old 03-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Good thing for camera phone. People like that need a kick it the butt for stupidity

I only had my TL for about 3 months, I still park far away so no one else parks near me. Really sorry to see the mishap. From the looks of the bump that doesn't look like it'll buff off.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:16 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
holy s**t, that can definitely not be buffed out. i can't believe he said that. good thing you chased him down and swapped that info.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I had someone put a door ding our almost new MDX as I sat in it. I made the mistake of just getting his phone and address. (always get the insurance info) - $75 lesson - (not to mention my time) a dent place did a perfect fix
Old 03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Face it, if this guy gave a shit about anyone but himself he would have hunted you down, apologized, exchanged info, apologized again and left. Happened to me a while ago to a much lesser degree.

This older guy pulled up behind my parked car and rolled his car into my bumper, parked and left it. I waited for him outside, he pulled his car away, I inspected what was only a few dings. There was no one parked in back of him. I purposely parked so that who ever did park in back of me had sufficient room.

So there he was staring at the ground, fumbling for his wallet, asking me what I wanted. I told him what I wanted was just an apology. After 10 seconds of silence I got it and headed home, still angry, yet amazed.

I can only imagine with the amount of damage done to your car and the attitude of that idiot, what you must have been feeling. Glad cooler heads prevailed and you didn't let him BS you with not exchanging insurance info.

Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's sucks bro. Glad you got all his info.

I'm like you. I know every square inch of my car.

I would have
Old 03-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Advanced

omg SHOULDA KICK HIS AZZZZ ASK ? TIONS LATER!!! OOPSE SORRY I AM SO VIOLENT.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:52 PM
100k miles club

thanks guys, i love this place coz i can just rant. i kept my composure during the exchange. though my hands were clutched and teeth just grinding. i didn't want the unfortunate situation escalated. besides, it was some old dude. so it's worse than it seems? new bumper then i guess? or what? coz SSM bumpers have a different shade than the body and there's so many horror stories of repainted bumper in this forum
Old 03-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Good eye for catching him in the act man. Sorry to hear about the incident. Nice license plate though.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

Buffed out? Wow he is insane...
Old 03-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Ouch! I saw the pictures before I read the post. Sorry dude!

Luckily you saw it before he could get away. But I think you handled the situation really well. Getting insurance info is the way to go.

Some people..

Hope all goes well on getting that fixed. Dealing with insurance companies is a pain.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Intermediate

Twins! My car has that exact same scrape from some dumbass. Only I wasn't fortunate enough to catch them in the act. Hope you get that fixed up soon.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Instructor

The dude has some major balls. I mean he hit you and then parked his car to go run errands. Those Ford cats, the Taurus probably looks better from the accident.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you were able to catch up with him. After almost a year there are still some places I refuse to take my TL because I know the parking situation sucks and I won't be able to park at the back. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
You got Tore-Assed.

Just out of curiosity... when you call his insurance company, and they tell you the guy is denying all of this, then what are you going to do?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Some 16 year old girl hit my wife in our old Altima last summer...backed out of a parking space right into her..then took off! She follows her for 3 or so miles until the girl pulls over as she's on the phone w/911 reporting her...then the girl says.."oh wow...I didn't think I hit you"...(both the front and rear drivers side doors were completely caved in). Turns out she didn't have valid insurance either...so the sheister parents give us a fake / invalid insurance card in someone else's name, we end up in court trying to get our $$ back. We did get license info, insurance, etc, you name it, get everything you can, the nice judge ruled that they had to give us back our insurance deductible money or else...still took them 8 months to pay us back but eventually we got it back. We even tried to be nice and let them pay for the repairs at a reasonable rate rather than get the insurance and police involved.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:47 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
You got Tore-Assed.

Just out of curiosity... when you call his insurance company, and they tell you the guy is denying all of this, then what are you going to do?
Tore-Assed <-- put a smile in my face, thanks

i already called my insurance company and reported it. if he denies it, well i got pics. hope that's enough evidence. i'm sure they're not gonna think i picked up my car and slapped his taurus with it. my car was already parked before he got there

man i'm still heated. he's an old dude, yet he didn't feel that he hit something? or tried to play it off. people like that shouldn't be driving hope all you peeps are careful out there. anyone got bill or ted's number. i'm thinking of borrowing their phone booth to stop myself from parking there
Old 03-02-2006, 07:48 PM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

damn I would have been pissed.... I have been burned before, not knowing who left the damages..! Glad you tracked him down... ALSO glad you got some good pics...

Good luck...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
This is gonna sound strange...and I would have done EXACTLY what you did times one hundred cause I probably would have been in a rage at that point....but you should have just got his license number and let him go. Then filed a police report...hit and run....no deductible for uninsured motorists coverage claims in Indiana anyway. I know when I have gotten into incidents over the years...one time same as you but got em and they had no insurance....so I paid no deductible....the other time was a hit and run situation....same thing...no deductible.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Do you usually carry a digital camera with you in case you get into accidents?

I'm surprised he didn't hit you and leave...he stayed...shows how dumb he is...

Also, thanks for his license plates in that pic! :-)
Old 03-02-2006, 08:12 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by frank69m
Do you usually carry a digital camera with you in case you get into accidents?

I'm surprised he didn't hit you and leave...he stayed...shows how dumb he is...

Also, thanks for his license plates in that pic! :-)
He used his phone camera....I hear ya, suprised dude didnt bail right away! Question...what is the concern over license plates and #'s? Dont we pass about 4000 plate #'s a day....and we dont think twice about them? Why do people worry about plate #'s on the net....I have done the same thing in pics and skewed out the plate # and always wondered why I was doing this?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks pretty bad. Anyone who says that can be buffed out doesn't know squat. Something similar happened to my neighbor. Someone who lives a few doors up the street from him rubbed against his Toyota against his car while parking. He still left the car there, even though the damage was obviously his. My neighbor's front bumber had a bit of tape sticking to it, which matched the taped up bumper of the Toyota.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
100k miles club

frank69m: i agree with MichaelBenz about the lic plate. anyway, yes i always bring a digi cam with me so i can take pics when i feel like. unfortunately, i left it at work when i went to lunch. i do have a camera on my phone so the smaller ones were taken at the scene with the phone. as soon as i got to work, snapped some more with the digi cam

MichaelBenz: with my insurance, state farm, i think there's still a deductible no matter the incident

i got my new ROTORA brakes and pads waiting at home for me, so it cheered me up a little bit, dunno for how long though. i love this forum, makes me feel a little better when peeps reply

thanks guys and gal
Old 03-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 292 Likes on 173 Posts
Dude....I would call the police to get a accident report at the premise. If he decided to leave, then just jog down his license plate and report a hit and run. Doesn't matter if it was a minor hit or what not. It's better to get a 3rd person. What if that person who hit you changes the story. At least if you have a police officer, he can't argue of what's right or wrong.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Having police there doesn't mean it will help. I had two officers at a recent accident. They listened to both sides of the story and did not file a report cause the damages were not servere enough and no one was injured (new CA law I guess). One of them took down the info of the other party and handed it to me. I later found out that the other guy's policy was expired (since a year ago).
Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Racer

I think when I get mine I'm going to park taking 2 spaces so no one can park next me. I would go ballisitic if someone did that to my car. I used to hate when people parked using 2 spaces, but now I understand why they do it.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Instructor

I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago. I was in a restaurant parking lot. I wouldn't have parked in the lot but it was like single digit weather, and I was with a date. When I came out, the car that was next to mine when I had parked was already gone. I go to put the left-overs in the back seat, and thats when I almost cried. My damage was in the same spot as yours, but on the driver's side and there were a few dents over the wheel well. I was in an angled lot, and the guy must've turned the wheel too soon when pulling out. I got it fixed this week cuz it bothered me so much. It ended up costing me $700, but it made me feel a lot better. I would say to get that repainted, you're looking at around $500. Sorry to see that happen to you. I hope you're able to get reimbursed, good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
At least you caught the guy. I'd say 99% hit and run.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, sucks man, glad you saw it and had a cam ready and caught him in the act.

Just know, that since your car was shut off, and legally parked its 100% his fault, and his insurance should settle it.

goodluck with the repairs............and dont think its just you being teritorial, people should be more careful and shouldnt be complete liars..........
Old 03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Instructor

OH NO!!! it just pisses me off ppl dont have respect for other peoples damn property. This ahole knew he hit u and he just passes it off as nothing. lets kick his ass w1n.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened, That truely does suck... but as bad as the situation is just be glad that you caught the guy or you would have had to pay this out of your pocket... why did you not want to get a police report? Plus i don't think your being too sensitive i'd be pi**ed off if this happened to me as well. For some reason it would not feel as bad if you did something to your own car. hate when others have to come F$# things up
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
This is gonna sound strange...and I would have done EXACTLY what you did times one hundred cause I probably would have been in a rage at that point....but you should have just got his license number and let him go. Then filed a police report...hit and run....no deductible for uninsured motorists coverage claims in Indiana anyway. I know when I have gotten into incidents over the years...one time same as you but got em and they had no insurance....so I paid no deductible....the other time was a hit and run situation....same thing...no deductible.

You are correct in most states UM coverage does not require you pay a deductable, however if you get the tag number and it is correct the police track him down and if he has insurance you are back to the same situation.

If you have a hit and run and do not get a tag number (or other info that results in finding the car) most states require a witness which is NOT either the owner or current operator of the vehicle, the dreaded John Doe driver. Point of this is you need to be very careful trying your plan as it can backfire.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by w1n78
me: excuse me sir, did you know you just hit my car?
a-hole: oh i did, i thought i may have just bumped it.
The a-hole's initial statement shows his character. What honest person thinks they "just bumped" someone else's car with their own, and just walks away without checking for damage? It takes all of 3 seconds to check for damages.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Racer

Oh shit wtf?

Sorry to hear that Sherwin. Don't worry, the bumper should match if you take it to a good shop i.e Caliber Collision Center.

I get paranoid also when I park in a shitty ass area... gotta watch the car man!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:39 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perfect!

You took pics, got his licence plate and got is insurance info. this is exactly what you need to do when this happens.

Don't laugh, many people don't know how to protect themselves against this BS.

If he were to run... it's a hit and run which is a criminal offence. Always get the guys licence plate. Always!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:49 PM
100k miles club

TL'n IT UP: the a-hole is an old dude. i didn't want to take it out on him seeing his condition. i did want to F up his car, doubt he'd even care though.

aznkikaz: ya gonna take it to the chino hills location most likely. that's where i took it when i got hit the first time (yes there was another time my car was backed into while PARKED). hope i get it fixed by the next meet - new bumper/paint and new ROTORA rotors

datmrman: also heard from a co-worker that police don't come out to private property. is a mcdonalds parking lot considered private property? anyways, in past accidents, police they take their time coming out if there are no injuries. i was already upset, i didn't want to wait for them. i just made sure i got as much info on the dude and bounced

that was the worse spicy chicken sandwich ever! might have been good if the incident didn't happen

Quick Reply: not again! my poor baby