Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern Virginia prices?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Virginia prices?

I'm heading to the dealer tonight to negotiatate for a 2004 TL w/ Auto & Nav.

Edmunds has a TMV of $34,095. MSRP is $35,195. The dealer is telling me that the Nav models are flying off the lot and that there isn't much wiggle room. Can I expect to get the $34k price? What are other folks seeing?

FWIW, I'm talking with Radley & Pohanka.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Northern VA/DC/MD corridor is for some reason a Bermuda's triangle of high TL prices. There are various theories for this - search the threads. Regardless of the reason, you won't get as good a deal around here as in some other parts of the country.

$1100 off MSRP on a Navi is probably better than you can do - but you can come close if you time it right, choose a popular color combo, use the right dealer, and negotiate your ass off.

Personally I didn't bother timing it, I picked the colors I wanted, I picked the most convenient dealer, and I still got $800 off. How much more you want to try to wrangle out of the deal depends on your patience and tolerance for that stuff.

If you have the time and inclination, many people have gone to NJ for much better deals (like, another $1000 off, or more).

If not, try Rosenthal in Gaithersburg if your local dealers won't deal. It's a bit of a drive for you, but they'll give you somewhere between $700-1000 off MSRP on a Navi depending on the tides and moon phase. They are a huge dealership.

Or try the tactic that worked for me. Get a quote from Rosenthal and ask your local dealer to match it. Mine did.

Or, forego the Navi and save more.

But definitely do one thing: buy the car!

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Racer

They sell non-pickups there? Who knew... :lol2:
Old 04-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Team Nighthawk President

I agree with TLgator..the prices in the DC metro area were high..plain and simple. I refused to pay sticker so I went to NJ and yep...got a much better deal and the color combo I wanted (had to wait about 10 days from deal till drive). I refused to compromise on the features or price. Radley will try to disuade you from waiting because they have a wait list for navi's. But you can get $1000 off msrp through the internet on either model from them so use that as ammunition. Anyways...good luck tonight.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Racer

I called Rosenthal in Gaithersburg - they stopped discounting internet sales last week, they will honor e-mail quotes sent out prior to then, but all future sales are at MSRP. There is a long wait list for the TL with Nav.

Neither Pohanka or Radley would provide a quote over the phone, they want you there in person.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Go to NJ. Don't stop asking until you get one for $38200.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was able to do more negotiating on my trade than on the price of the car at Pohanka on a car that was due to arrive 3 weeks after my first visit. Full price on the car, but got $1,900. more for trade in than their first quote.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

I bought from Pohanka in December. I probably could have worked a little harder but that was before I found this board and I was happy to just not be paying msrp. Anyway, my favorite thing about them so far is that the customer service has been great (the service dept is open 6am-11pm). So, good choice.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Also got the TL from Pohanka back in October. They did want to budge at all from MSRP, but that was early in production at the time. Ask for Bill Kemavor, he was real nice and a straightshooter. Car was in yesterday until today for the EL42 tire vibration and seat memory fixes. Have 5K (less than 10% oil life according to MID) on the car and getting 1st oil change for free.

Dutchml.....I'm also in Ashburn, what color is your TL?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tim..
Redondo Red/Parchment
Old 04-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Instructor

dutchml, timnygen9

guys I am also in Asbhurn purchased at Pohanka got 2200 off a non nav back on dec 31. i only have 3750 miles and my oil life is reading 10%. The reminder is kinda of annoying it comes up everytime i start the car up...
Old 04-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by Novice
Go to NJ. Don't stop asking until you get one for $38200.

I believe that Novice meant 32,800. The other nice thing about going to NJ is that I did not pay VA's stupid $299 processing fee. I payed the price I negotiated for the car plus 3% tax and registered it in VA myself. I had no trade involved. It was nice feeling like I did not get taken plus I got a bonus...I had an excuse to have an extended drive in my wonderful new car. I also dealt with Jacob Inman from Rosenthal, they did not have my vehicle in stock when I was ready to purchase, but one was on the way. When I sent them a quote from another dealer, he told me his boss refused to match it because the vehicle was not in stock yet. Then after I had made my deal and got my vehicle in NJ, he contacts me to say they have good availability of Navi's in stock. I told him too bad...you did not want to deal when I was ready before and now I am loving my TL. :lol1:
Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

We live in NoVA and had the same problem. Pohanka seemed pretty arrogant when it came to dealing. Montclair in NJ gave me a quote over the phone (check prior threads) of 33.5 for an auto-navi with protection package. We used this as a basis for a trip to Karen Radley in Woodbridge - they met the deal, but we paid an additional $245. processing fee. It saved me time and trainfare to NJ as I see it. The color car my wife wanted was not on the lot, but was on their build list. We waited about 4 weeks, and it was delivered two weeks ago.

If you go to Karen Radley, ask for Joel - he did a good job.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Mattg54321...you probably got the best price of a TL actually purchased in VA to date...congrats on that. The 4 weeks would have killed me. I had to wait 10 days and they were LONG!!!! But what color combo did you get? You may want to include this on your signature so you won't get this question. Welcome to the club and enjoy.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I read many discussions on this board on Radley vs. Pohanka. I've talked to Rosenthal as well. Pohanka is the closest to me, and thats where I bought my RL.

Has anyone else worked with Karen Radley in Woodbridge? Have not heard many deals reports on them. Or how about Chevy Chase Acura?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by baby_igor
I read many discussions on this board on Radley vs. Pohanka. I've talked to Rosenthal as well. Pohanka is the closest to me, and thats where I bought my RL.

Has anyone else worked with Karen Radley in Woodbridge? Have not heard many deals reports on them. Or how about Chevy Chase Acura?
When I dealt w/Karen Radley they offered internet pricing of 1k off msrp..refused to move on the processing fee...

Chevy Chase didn't have color in stock..unwilling to move on price.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ibeplato
I called Rosenthal in Gaithersburg - they stopped discounting internet sales last week, they will honor e-mail quotes sent out prior to then, but all future sales are at MSRP. There is a long wait list for the TL with Nav.
Amazing...a lot of us were thinking that by now the Navi supply would be catching up with demand...of course, they might just be selling you a fish tale over the phone...you could try just walking in and seeing if any Navis on the lot are available...when I spoke with Rosenthal in March they had a couple on the lot and would deal a little more on those.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Racer

I bought a TL Auto w/Nav tonight for abuut $600 under MSRP. The dealer (Pohanka) had six of them on the lot, all but one was White/Parchment. They were willing to go about $1,100 under MSRP if I would take one of the white ones. Instead, I bought the only Silver/Ebony one that they had.

The car is a dream (so far anyway).
Old 04-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Racer

I must admit that I was extremely impressed with Pohanka, they were straightfoward and they didn't try to push stuff on us like leather treatments, extra trim or pinstriping that i've come to expect from the Rosenthals of the world. We were there very late and they still didn't want to let us leave until they had explained everything and were sure we were happy. Great group of folks.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Team Nighthawk President

I would have told Pohanka I would been happier if they knocked some more off of the 500. Did you pay the $299 processing fee? Enjoy the vehicle. Welcome to the club!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:31 PM
7th Gear

I got a non nav TL in late Jan from Radley for $1600 off MSRP.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Instructor

not that it is n virginia but in annapolis they did not give me a brake at all....ofcourse i found this sight after I bought my car...probibly could have saved a little.. ohh well there was alot of people looking at this car so i did not think i had much chance in negiotations..ohh im sorry that is criswell acura......
p.s. my bargaining skills suck!!!
jjay slvsixspd nav 18"rims spoiler ect ect
http://cardomain.com/memberpage/550993
Old 04-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Cruisin'

I just put money down on a silver/ebony Auto w/navi from Pohanka for $1000 off of MSRP. I think I could have done better since it was not real hesitation and only one "trip" to the senior sales manager. FYI - start your shopping with autobytel.com that initially knocked off $750.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro

I bought my NAVI TL from Montclaire Acura in NJ in December for $1,700 off MSRP. Neither Pohanka nor Radley would take off more than $500 from MSRP (I had a deposit at both of these places), plus they have these horrible doc fees. Buying from Montclaire was a great experience. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by endy
I just put money down on a silver/ebony Auto w/navi from Pohanka for $1000 off of MSRP. I think I could have done better since it was not real hesitation and only one "trip" to the senior sales manager. FYI - start your shopping with autobytel.com that initially knocked off $750.
I was over there today and they had a Silver/Quartz Auto/Nav on the lot if you want one sooner.

I got $600 off MSRP from them on one they had on the lot after about 3 trips to the sales manager. Isn't it amazing, it used to be that if you bought off the lot you could drive a better deal. On a hot car like the TL they bargain harder on the ones that are on the lot due to the demand.

Who was your sales person?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Fletcher

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77650

Read and weep
Old 04-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Pro

I just put money down on a silver/ebony Auto w/navi from Pohanka for $1000 off of MSRP.
If you're paying their ridiculous $299 documentation fee, it's only $700 off MSRP.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by arro33
Read and weep
Hey, we're happy for you. No need to be an ass about it.

Many of us in the DC/VA/MD area knew about the NJ deals and still chose to buy locally. People had different reasons for doing so, and you obviously wouldn't agree with those reasons since you went to NJ. Great, enjoy your car! Just don't get all smug around here - you'll find the vast majority of people on this forum are neither stupid nor rude.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLGator
Hey, we're happy for you. No need to be an ass about it.

Many of us in the DC/VA/MD area knew about the NJ deals and still chose to buy locally. People had different reasons for doing so, and you obviously wouldn't agree with those reasons since you went to NJ. Great, enjoy your car! Just don't get all smug around here - you'll find the vast majority of people on this forum are neither stupid nor rude.
Correct TLGator. BTW I was in UF's class of '92 and '96.

My own reasons... I am blessed enough to be a partner in a business that would loose more money for me and the company because of the time it would take to drive up and get the car on a weekday. If it was on the weekend and I was not working the time would cut into the time I like to decompress.

Looking at my sheet it looks like I did get $1000 off but with the doc fee is still there so it brings it back down to $700 or so. Hey but i got free wheel locks :toothless I not going to worry about it to much since I am willing to pay more for less stress in my life.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Modeler
I bought my NAVI TL from Montclaire Acura in NJ in December for $1,700 off MSRP. Neither Pohanka nor Radley would take off more than $500 from MSRP (I had a deposit at both of these places), plus they have these horrible doc fees. Buying from Montclaire was a great experience. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
If you buy from Montclair as an out of state buyer, are they allowed not to charge sales tax?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

BTW I was in UF's class of '92 and '96.
Another Gator! Welcome!

You may be interested in this very short-lived thread:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77345
Old 04-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro

If you buy from Montclair as an out of state buyer, are they allowed not to charge sales tax?
They will register the car in your state (Virginia in my case) and you will pay Virginia sales tax. In other words, you do NOT pay NJ tax or TTL fees.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Fletcher

Angry

Dearest Gator, :rocketwho

Read and weep is a very old card playing expression. Certainly not meant to be smug, stupid, rude, or asinine. It is a colloquialism. Perhaps a tad facetious, maybe even a hint of recent financial self congratulatory pleasure. But certainly not one that gives rise to receiving a slew of insults….I believe you heaved, not one, but four derogatory terms....

I worked my ass off locally to get a good deal and ultimately failed. Had you bothered to read my post (can you read?), you would have seen that I thanked the members of this board profusely....several times!

Additionally, without prompting (I’m brand new to this board), I shared my good fortune quickly with others. Why? Not to be "smug" or "rude" or "Stupid" or "assinine", but to turn others onto a great deal in relative proximity to the DC region. Additionally, it served to educate DC regional buyers that our dealerships stink when it comes to bargaining from the MSRP.

I will not lower myself to your name calling standards, because you obviously totally missed the boat when it came to my post(s). Perhaps a bad night’s sleep, bank account more depleted than it should be, haven’t had any in a while, who knows…not my problem….. :devil: Perhaps you should read the referenced post again before you fling insults. I have re-read it and I can find nothing derogatory or negative in it....It is gracious and informative. Something your prose lacks….Perhaps you need to think twice before slinging uninformed insults towards others you don’t even know. Anyway, I’m glad I shared my tale and hope, in all honesty, that others may benefit.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

arro - Sorry for offending you, bro. You're right, my choice of words was unnecessarily derogatory. I apologize and retract all of them.

Except smug. I think smug still fits. What exactly is the difference between what I call "smug" and what you call "self congratulatory pleasure"? Except that your choice of phrase is three words long and requires 22 extra letters. And two spaces.

And when you refer to your own posts as "gracious" well that's a bit smug too. Especially because this topic has been well covered for months and your "gracious and informative" post is not especially either.

Also, "read and weep" is a very old SMUG card playing expression. And this isn't about a hand of cards. It's about a thousand dollars or more, which some people can get a little sensitive about. Again, my apologies for being too sensitive.

Peace.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

I purchased my Acura TL from Pohanka but after a painful negotiation. When I showed up at Pohanka with $13000 in cash to put down on a new TL, I found out they didn't have the color, auto with Navi that I wanted. They told me that there was one NBP inbound with parchment interior and navi. This was the exact car I wanted, but they of course told me I could put money down that day so they could hold it, but I better think quickly about it because they were going like hot cakes. From their show room I called Radley and Rosenthal and got a quote for $1000 under MSRP. They also said they would wave the processing fee of $245. I turned around and told this to the sales manager who would only come down $500 and two free oil changes. But they had the car in route. I dropped the down payment and left not thinking I had done very well.

That afternoon, I received a call from Radley asking if I was coming to see the TL and talk to the sales manager. I told him that I put a down payment on a Pohanka car. The sales man told me he would beat the price by $1000 off the MSRP, wave the processing fee, give me free oil changes for life and 24 months 24,000 miles maintenance for free along with free lifetime inspections. Wow I thought. This guy really wanted my business.

One week later I get a call on 31 March from the director of sales at Pohanka telling me my car was in and they would love for me to come and take delivery today since it was end of the month and it would look good on their books. I said, "well Gregg....see we have a bit of a problem." I proceeded to tell him about the offer from Radley. He asked me to come down that evening and he would meet the deal.

Pohanka was reluctant but they met the Radley deal plus I had them take off $250 for a spoiler. Therefore, I got a NBP Navi with Parchment interior right off the truck for $1000 off MSRP, no processing fee, oil changes, inspections, and $250 off the spoiler (runs $750 installed).

Moral to the story -- negotiate on the last day of the month when the dealers want to make their numbers.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Cruisin'

93vrfd3s - you would'nt by chance drive down Wilson Ave NW sometimes? I live on Wilson and I saw a NBP drive down the other day.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ibeplato
I was over there today and they had a Silver/Quartz Auto/Nav on the lot if you want one sooner.

I got $600 off MSRP from them on one they had on the lot after about 3 trips to the sales manager. Isn't it amazing, it used to be that if you bought off the lot you could drive a better deal. On a hot car like the TL they bargain harder on the ones that are on the lot due to the demand.

Who was your sales person?
Sorry must have missed this post before.... No one said anythin about a quartz but I went on Sat around noon so it might have been sold by then. My sales rep was Kresin. Hard to miss him with is thick russian accent.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:31 AM
Cruisin'

[QUOTE=93vrfd3s]
Pohanka was reluctant but they met the Radley deal plus I had them take off $250 for a spoiler. Therefore, I got a NBP Navi with Parchment interior right off the truck for $1000 off MSRP, no processing fee, oil changes, inspections, and $250 off the spoiler (runs $750 installed).
QUOTE]

Got a call from Radley yesterday. They will meet the price, drop the processing fee, and I will get the lifetime oil changes. So what does lifetime oil changes mean? If I like to get oil changes done every 5000 miles with mobile 1 regardless of what the TL computer tells me will they do it ? Or does it only cover "scheduled" oil changes?

Plus they want me to have Pohanka to fax them a copy of my deal direct. I am not sure if Pohanka would do that. I could just send my copy.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:00 AM
Team Nighthawk President

[QUOTE=endy]
Originally Posted by 93vrfd3s
QUOTE]

Got a call from Radley yesterday. They will meet the price, drop the processing fee, and I will get the lifetime oil changes. So what does lifetime oil changes mean? If I like to get oil changes done every 5000 miles with mobile 1 regardless of what the TL computer tells me will they do it ? Or does it only cover "scheduled" oil changes?

Plus they want me to have Pohanka to fax them a copy of my deal direct. I am not sure if Pohanka would do that. I could just send my copy.
Pohanka will not do that. What would the benefit be to them?? I would tell them accept my copy or I will have to do business with Pohanka....
Old 04-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=endy]
Originally Posted by 93vrfd3s
QUOTE]

Radley in Falls Church offers the "free lifetime oil changes" to everyone. I got this without even asking on my '03 TL-S. What it REALLY is, they will give you a free oil change, but you have to buy their 7500 mile, 15000 mile, etc "package". So it's really not free at all. Don't buy into that crap. Radley Acura service is terrible. They scratched my Nav screen, then scratched 6 pieces of plastic fixing the scratched Nav screen. Never again.

Quick Reply: Northern Virginia prices?