Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Normal"? W T F!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Normal"? W T F!!!

I was told by my local Service Dealer that the fact my Parking brake allows my car to roll is perfectly normal. I did not know whether or not to laugh or pull my hair out. Funny, I thought it used to be called an Emergency Brake. If I put my car in Neutral, and have the Parking Brake on - it is not supposed to move. Period.
Been driving enough cars all these years to know and have used a Parking Brake with all of them. At a minimum, put your car in Park and apply Parking Brake, release brake, car should NOT move. No if's and's or but's. This will certainly be an entertaining visit to the dealer - I am looking forward to it. :P
Old 06-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Advanced

that's pretty retarded. I've had my car in D with the emergency brake yanked and the car did not move...

what a lame service dealer.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Racer

I've noticed that if the e-brake is only partially pulled up, the car will roll, but never have been able to move it with the brake fully engaged.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Pro

The car should not roll, especially with rear disc brakes. That guy is a fn moron.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:12 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 06-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

that is funny, people make up the stupidest answers sometimes.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thats kinda what I figured - kinda scary when the service dept. is telling me this.

Oh joy! Can't wait to see how they attempt to repair my other issues ...to be continued....
Old 06-07-2004, 10:55 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
Thats kinda what I figured - kinda scary when the service dept. is telling me this.

Oh joy! Can't wait to see how they attempt to repair my other issues ...to be continued....
Yep, this was one of my first issues, the car rolls and rests on tranny vs the e-brake, it was even more strange when the regional told me it is normal, just wait.

To me it is a design issue, and they say normal, as it is normal for this car (not normal in general).
Old 06-07-2004, 10:59 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

the car DOES NOT roll when the emergency brake is FULLY engaged. The car (any car) can (and does) roll if the brake isn't COMPLETELY engaged. If your car is rolling WITH the emergency brake engaged, then YOU are not pulling up on it hard enough. Eat some wheaties and try again.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Racer

harsh caps there bunka... anywho i know there is a hill where i live that has yet to pass the ebrake test on anycar... its funny to see that there arnt any cars parked on that section... but i mean that hill is steap, and i dont think it should be driving legal (must have been a steep hill and they just poured the concrete down the hill). but thats in an extreme case...

the ebrake shouldnt roll back on you like that, even on san fran streets...
Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ndabunka
the car DOES NOT roll when the emergency brake is FULLY engaged. The car (any car) can (and does) roll if the brake isn't COMPLETELY engaged. If your car is rolling WITH the emergency brake engaged, then YOU are not pulling up on it hard enough. Eat some wheaties and try again.

you are the f*cking retard. The indication that it is FULLY engaged is when it stays erect after you pulled. You cant incompletely engage the emergency break because it would just lay in the flat position. stop talking trash about other members when you are the retarded one
Old 06-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Renaissance Man

Originally Posted by MasterTL
you are the f*cking retard. The indication that it is FULLY engaged is when it stays erect after you pulled. You cant incompletely engage the emergency break because it would just lay in the flat position. stop talking trash about other members when you are the retarded one
ndbunka is right, even if he does use some choice words instead of explaining himself
The e-brake isn't an on-off switch. It's just like the rest of the brakes on the car, but with a ratchet. You can ratchet it one click and it will stay "up" but won't do crap to stop the car or keep it stopped on more than a 1% grade. If it were an on-off switch, the term "emergency brake" would refer to the outcome, rather than the cause, of using it.

<mitch hedberg> They shouldn't call it an emergency brake. They should call it an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.</mitch hedberg>

My father's MDX rocks backward on a hill (resting on the tranny) even when you put the parking brake on before shifting into Park and releasing the brake pedal. It may be a Honda design.

Sean

PS TBone, this wouldn't happen to be Acura of Ocean, would it?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Yo. Couple things - first, the car ain't 'rocking' back - she will roll down the street and get a speeding ticket along the way. I don't care if the knuckleheads at Acura feel this is Normal - it is totally wrong - "Emergency", "Parking" all are followed by a key word .... can you guess what it is.....BRAKE. Heck, in my friends old Sunbird, he would fly down the road and without warning pull the 'whatever' Brake and do a 180 to head back in the other direction! After you got over the shock the first time he did it - it was really a lot of fun...don't try this at home kids..

Now, wheaties? Is it pulled up enough. C'mon - er, uh my car won't start - "Duh, does it have gas dude?" C'mon. I got that friggin thing yanked back into the rear seats - I guess next time I can put my foot on the dash to get some more leverage - uh yea, cause that is how something is designed to work....

I thought if you were parking on a hill, the brake was supposed to keep the car from sitting on the parking gear - which depending how steep hill was, you could not get car out of gear otherwise...I guess they have made some "improvements" to how E-brakes work these days.

Does anyone know if it is even connected to anything? Maybe it is just for show?

Here I come Acura...this is gonna be fun!! To be continued..... :bananahump:
Old 06-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Team Anthracite Member

What one second. I just got back from some serious thinking :shit: .

Are any of the 6MT drivers out there complaining about the brake?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Team WD Vice-President

Are any of the 6MT drivers out there complaining about the brake?
Mine works just fine.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Team Anthracite Member

seriously? It will hold the car in neutral no problem on a slight incline?

Originally Posted by KHill
Mine works just fine.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Shift_faster

I have a 6MT, and on a slight incline it holds it just fine in neutral. On a steep hill, I leave it in gear (either 1st or Reverse) and engage the parking brake. It rolls about one inch and then holds. I expect that though, because the hill is pretty steep.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks for all the feedback - I will share this with the Service folks when I take it in next week....
Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

seriously? It will hold the car in neutral no problem on a slight incline?
only on the most severe inclines (read somethink like san fran's steepest streets) do I put the car in first in addition to the parking brake, and that is only as a precaution.

Otherwise is stays planted. I do give it a pretty good tug though as its been habit for driving manuals so many years.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by spidey07
only on the most severe inclines (read somethink like san fran's steepest streets) do I put the car in first in addition to the parking brake, and that is only as a precaution.

Otherwise is stays planted. I do give it a pretty good tug though as its been habit for driving manuals so many years.

My last car was stick so thats why I was offended by anyone asking - "did you pull it up high enough?"...and my stick held like a brake should....

ok..armed and going in to battle with dealership....
Old 06-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

I was told by my local Service Dealer that the fact my Parking brake allows my car to roll is perfectly normal. I did not know whether or not to laugh or pull my hair out. Funny, I thought it used to be called an Emergency Brake. If I put my car in Neutral, and have the Parking Brake on - it is not supposed to move. Period.
Been driving enough cars all these years to know and have used a Parking Brake with all of them. At a minimum, put your car in Park and apply Parking Brake, release brake, car should NOT move. No if's and's or but's. This will certainly be an entertaining visit to the dealer - I am looking forward to it. :P
When I bought my used Silverado, I asked the dealer if they could align it for me because during the test drive I noticed it pulled to the right some. He told me it was designed to do that in case you fell asleep at the wheel you would head in to a ditch instead of going straight or into on-coming traffic. I hate to admit, but I believed them and never got my alignment. Oh well, that was years ago.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flanagan
The e-brake isn't an on-off switch. It's just like the rest of the brakes on the car, but with a ratchet. You can ratchet it one click and it will stay "up" but won't do crap to stop the car or keep it stopped on more than a 1% grade. If it were an on-off switch, the term "emergency brake" would refer to the outcome, rather than the cause, of using it.

<mitch hedberg> They shouldn't call it an emergency brake. They should call it an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.</mitch hedberg>
I would have to agree.

P.S. Mitch Hedberg is hilarious.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MasterTL
... when it stays erect after...
Hee, hee, you said erect.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Team WD Vice-President

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I have a 6MT, and on a slight incline it holds it just fine in neutral. On a steep hill, I leave it in gear (either 1st or Reverse) and engage the parking brake. It rolls about one inch and then holds. I expect that though, because the hill is pretty steep.
That's exactly the way mine works and I do the same on a steep hill.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro

Mine works great. It will hold the car even on a steep drive.... I do have to pull it a bit harder, but it will hold. I always then put it in gear as a second hold, but it has never moved to the gears...
Old 06-08-2004, 01:59 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Yo. Couple things - first, the car ain't 'rocking' back - she will roll down the street and get a speeding ticket along the way. I don't care if the knuckleheads at Acura feel this is Normal - it is totally wrong - "Emergency", "Parking" all are followed by a key word .... can you guess what it is.....BRAKE. Heck, in my friends old Sunbird, he would fly down the road and without warning pull the 'whatever' Brake and do a 180 to head back in the other direction! After you got over the shock the first time he did it - it was really a lot of fun...don't try this at home kids..

Now, wheaties? Is it pulled up enough. C'mon - er, uh my car won't start - "Duh, does it have gas dude?" C'mon. I got that friggin thing yanked back into the rear seats - I guess next time I can put my foot on the dash to get some more leverage - uh yea, cause that is how something is designed to work....

I thought if you were parking on a hill, the brake was supposed to keep the car from sitting on the parking gear - which depending how steep hill was, you could not get car out of gear otherwise...I guess they have made some "improvements" to how E-brakes work these days.

Does anyone know if it is even connected to anything? Maybe it is just for show?

Here I come Acura...this is gonna be fun!! To be continued..... :bananahump:
TBone - Sounds like you've got a real problem. My brake does hold on an incline. Granted, it's not San Fran quality but it does hold. Seems some don't like the way I emphasize words. Too bad. I'm TOO old to change that now...
Old 06-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Formula 350
Mine works great. It will hold the car even on a steep drive.... I do have to pull it a bit harder, but it will hold. I always then put it in gear as a second hold, but it has never moved to the gears...
thanks - I will let them know it works for others...
Old 06-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

I've noticed that the car does roll a bit after I put it in park and pull on the parking brake and it feels like the engine mounts are holding the car in place. The parking brake does hold though cause I've tried putting in nuetral on a hill with just the parking brake. That's just my observation.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Pakman
I've noticed that the car does roll a bit after I put it in park and pull on the parking brake and it feels like the engine mounts are holding the car in place. The parking brake does hold though cause I've tried putting in nuetral on a hill with just the parking brake. That's just my observation.
Engine mounts holding the car in place? Not sure what that means...
Old 06-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Little boy who cried wolf...

Apparently i DIDN'T have my wheaties the other day and was also wearing a dress! I went home tonight and said - we'll lemme check this again. I dunno if I been working out or if the gravitational pull has changed or if the P-Brake just had to break in (no pun), cause now she holds. I even got it to hold only 3/4 way pulled. So I way jumped the gun on this one and just wanted to admit I must have Nancied it when I first tried it.

:-*
Old 06-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Originally Posted by Pakman

I've also notice when i put the car into Park, and pull the handbrake up then release the foot brake, the car will roll very little (maybe the handbrake kicked in?)
Old 06-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Shift_faster

Apparently i DIDN'T have my wheaties the other day and was also wearing a dress! I went home tonight and said - we'll lemme check this again. I dunno if I been working out or if the gravitational pull has changed or if the P-Brake just had to break in (no pun), cause now she holds. I even got it to hold only 3/4 way pulled. So I way jumped the gun on this one and just wanted to admit I must have Nancied it when I first tried it.

:-*
Not eating Wheaties is totally understandable, not sure if I want an explanation of the dress...

Either way, I'm glad things worked out...
Old 06-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by daven8844x
When I bought my used Silverado, I asked the dealer if they could align it for me because during the test drive I noticed it pulled to the right some. He told me it was designed to do that in case you fell asleep at the wheel you would head in to a ditch instead of going straight or into on-coming traffic. I hate to admit, but I believed them and never got my alignment. Oh well, that was years ago.
Wow, that sales guy was quick on his feet. I can just imagine that feature in play. :gaylaugh:
Old 06-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The E-Brake on an Auto will allow the car to settle a little bit when you let off the pedal, but only maybe a an inch or three. It DEFINATELY should not allow it to roll any if you have it engaged to the normal pull it up till it's stiff spot. I had to have mine adjusted already because I was making it to the stop point at full top before it was getting stiff enough to hold, an easy adjustment. The Ebrake on a stick car will hold it dead tho, I do like that better, but my 04TL is definately holding. I have the Automatic and I still set the brake everytime I park, even level, just habit. And I have tested it, it is holding on a hill.

One way you can test is, stop on the hill, foot on pedal, put in Park, pull E-Brake, release pedal, car will adjust slightly. Then, foot back on Brake Pedal, and pull it out of park into reverse, if it is very difficult, then the car was indeed resting on the parking brake, not the hand brake. If it slides right into reverse w/o issue, then it was resting on the e-brake as it should be.

Enjoy
Old 07-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Originally Posted by Sherlock
The E-Brake on an Auto will allow the car to settle a little bit when you let off the pedal, but only maybe a an inch or three. It DEFINATELY should not allow it to roll any if you have it engaged to the normal pull it up till it's stiff spot. I had to have mine adjusted already because I was making it to the stop point at full top before it was getting stiff enough to hold, an easy adjustment. The Ebrake on a stick car will hold it dead tho, I do like that better, but my 04TL is definately holding. I have the Automatic and I still set the brake everytime I park, even level, just habit. And I have tested it, it is holding on a hill.

One way you can test is, stop on the hill, foot on pedal, put in Park, pull E-Brake, release pedal, car will adjust slightly. Then, foot back on Brake Pedal, and pull it out of park into reverse, if it is very difficult, then the car was indeed resting on the parking brake, not the hand brake. If it slides right into reverse w/o issue, then it was resting on the e-brake as it should be.

Enjoy
Yesterday I tired parking the car on an incline. Put the car into Park, pull the e-brake up, my foot off the brake. Then I put my foot back on the brakes, put the E Brake down, then shifted from Park to Reverse.

It was difficult, it felt very heavy, hesitant shifting into Reverse. And when i reached Reverse there was this loud THUMP...
Old 07-09-2004, 06:56 AM
dumber than a box of hair

Great way to fail your state safety inspection. :sqnteek: