Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Metallic Tint really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Metallic Tint really necessary?

I checked all over town to find someone that installed or offered the porcelain type tints and the closest I could get was a place that was going to have it available in the future.

One thing that I know about non-metallic tints is they fade much faster than metallic based (turn purple) and they cost a heck of a lot more than a standard metallic tint.

I weighed all the cons and decided to have some of the regular stuff installed. Ages ago I used to do tint, hate it so much now I wont touch it.. but I know that you can get it off real easy within the first day if you dont like it. Figuring if it really jacked my Navi up then i could peel it.

The tint fella shows up at my house and goes to work. It was obvious that he was much more skilled at installing it than I ever was so I felt at ease. I talked to him about the small rear windows on the doors and he said he'd give it his best shot to fill em up. He actually did really good, one is almost completely edge to edge and the driver side has a small 1/8" gap because the rubber was tighter on that side.

I drove my car after it was all put on and found that it was reading about 100 feet off on the navigation from the map position in respect to the car position. I cant recall if it was right on the money prior to the tint now. I guess I should have noted that. But in any case, i've gone through the set vehicle position a few times and it seems to be within about 40 feet now. I think I can live with this knowing I dont have to get a $500 tint job redone on my car every 2-3 years, maybe even less since I live in Phoenix.

I did notice he popped the door wipes out without having to take off the door panels. I should have payed closer attention to this in case I want to put some moleskin on. For the time being I'll just resort to rolling the windows up and down as little as possible.

So to compare, anyone out there with Navi and no tint right now. Is your map position exact on the highest zoom setting or is it off a little bit?

I'll post some pics as soon as i can locate my camera