Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No MP3 capability for '04 TL :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 2004TL
I was crying over why the new TL does not have MP3 CD Player, but if the TL can play normal MP3's converted to CD format than put on a DVD, thats like MP3 CD only with greater quality sound, maybe when Acura said they didn't put MP3 CD because there is too much technology, they were right

So if the DVD-A Player can play Normal DVD CD's than you can get about 5 Audio CD's in one, better than MP3 CD and MORE QUALITY!

You cannot add more sound quality to a track. True DVD-A's are true 5.1. I'm not sure if you can make one, but if you can, no way you can make true 5.1 out of an mp3 track. The MP3's quality is a limiting factor here. When you copy an MP3 to a CD-Audio, it doenst get better quality. It works with what it has.

Dont be fooled. If you make DVD-A's from normal CD's and MP3's, you will NOT hear DVD-A quality.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Sony MP3

Here is a Crappy picture I took at night with the Sanyo cell phone.

About the cleaness of the car....I like it a Lot. Anybody who gets in my car really likes it as well, and thinks I spent an incredible amount of money.....It was only around 200

Oh yeah...
I'm still pissed about the 04 not having MP3 capability
Old 09-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by lovemyTL
You cannot add more sound quality to a track. True DVD-A's are true 5.1. I'm not sure if you can make one, but if you can, no way you can make true 5.1 out of an mp3 track. The MP3's quality is a limiting factor here. When you copy an MP3 to a CD-Audio, it doenst get better quality. It works with what it has.

Dont be fooled. If you make DVD-A's from normal CD's and MP3's, you will NOT hear DVD-A quality.
First of all Converting MP3 to CD-A Format or .wav file does make better quality, if u play the song from cd and play it from a mp3 file there will be a difference..

and second I was talking about using normal CD-A Format but using the space of the DVD-R..

It has already been confirmed that it is possible to do by someone on A-TSX.com...
Old 09-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you play an mp3 what do you think it does? It converts it and plays it. So if you convert it and then put it on CD and play it instead of putting the mp3 on CD and having your deck convert it..how is that different? Once you convert an original to mp3 the quality is LOST..sorry:/ Same thing with .jpg etc..
Old 09-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Correct - bets u can do is maybe run dolby pro logic II or to to simulate 5.1...
can no, nobody cant create DVD-audio disks, only multi-million dollar professional studios...

Old 09-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Instructor

U WRONG..
Once .au or .wav is converted to MP3 - all the extra information is thrown out, so converting mp3 back to CD audio or wav format will not put that information back... Therefore, u will not get better quality.. 192+ mp3s are fine here, cd quality to my ears... Especially 320kbps encoded mp3s..

First of all Converting MP3 to CD-A Format or .wav file does make better quality,
Old 09-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

amdmaxx - we're right.

Assuming you dont use a sound editing program, converting from MP3 to CD-A does not ADD quality. You're basically decompressing a file. The computer does not know what was thrown out during the compression, nor does it add new information. Now, if you use the lowest compression (best quality) of 320mbps on an MP3, then you're really close to CD quality. A computer can probably tell the difference, but probalby not one of us.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004TL needs a lesson in signal processing and compression. When encoding and decoding any type of signal content, the best one can hope for is an exact duplicate of the original. It is impossible to end up with something better than what you started with.

MP3 is a lossy format (it is highly compressed). Whenever you convert a raw audio file (e.g. WAV, PCM) to MP3 you lose information. When you decompress the MP3 back to raw, uncompressed audio (e.g. WAV, PCM, to put on a CD), the end result is NECESSARILY of a lower quality than the original, uncompressed stream. This fact is not debatable. What is debateable is at what sampling rate this compression/extraction process becomes undetectable to human ears.

There are methods which purport to "artificially" add quality to a sample using complex DSP techniques. This is a controversial topic and beyond the scope of this discussion.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Bottom line - unless you plan on buying DVD-Audios, all its good for is making larger audio CD's than normal (assuming 2004TL is right - I have no clue on this). However, the upgrade of DTS will not accompany your custom DVD.

While I think Acura was trying to get ahead here, it may be jumping the gun a bit. If you cant play DVD's (assumption) or dont have DVD-A's around, the whole DTS system is wasted. It's one of those...nice to have deals but rarely will you benefit from it. My opinion is that it should have been an option. Along with bluetooth...but that's a different story.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Bottom line - unless you plan on buying DVD-Audios, all its good for is making larger audio CD's than normal (assuming 2004TL is right - I have no clue on this). However, the upgrade of DTS will not accompany your custom DVD.
The verdict is still out on converting MP3/CD Audio to DVD Audio. Their is software out there to do it, but it's expensive. Also, it seem that quite a bit of effort is involved in making this conversion. DVD Audio has not gone mainstream, so the tools needed to make the conversion aren't there yet. If DVD Audio gains in popularity I'm sure Nero and other popular burning tools will support this.

I agree that the DVD Audio system should have been an option. There's nothing that suggests that DVD-A will become a popular format. SACD doesn't help its cause either. Acura is leading the market by offering this in the TL before the format has become mainstream. Yeah, a few older owners may enjoy listening to the Netherlands Bach Society and Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra (Boni) in DVD-A. This is not mainstream though. If it never takes off it's a waste having it in the car. And, being that the TL is said to not support DVD-R/RW media, the CD to DVD-A conversion is useless as well. Hopefully something can be done with DVD+R though.

Bluetooth is a different story. A push will force automakers and cell phone makers to incorporate handsfree technology into their products. Bluetooth is the one technology that is maturing enough to make this happen in a short timeframe. I know it still needs a lots of work though.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Instructor

thank you, that is what I was trying to explain...

Originally posted by rhizopod
2004TL needs a lesson in signal processing and compression. When encoding and decoding any type of signal content, the best one can hope for is an exact duplicate of the original. It is impossible to end up with something better than what you started with.

MP3 is a lossy format (it is highly compressed). Whenever you convert a raw audio file (e.g. WAV, PCM) to MP3 you lose information. When you decompress the MP3 back to raw, uncompressed audio (e.g. WAV, PCM, to put on a CD), the end result is NECESSARILY of a lower quality than the original, uncompressed stream. This fact is not debatable. What is debateable is at what sampling rate this compression/extraction process becomes undetectable to human ears.

There are methods which purport to "artificially" add quality to a sample using complex DSP techniques. This is a controversial topic and beyond the scope of this discussion.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Instructor

dude, stop the non-sense.. Nobody is converting mp3 to dvd-audio... There is NO such thing..
U can have your receiver/Pro/Pro take the 2 channel, aka stereo mp3 stream and by using it's powerful algorithm spread that signal to 5.1 or even 7.1 (read on on Lexicon's/HKs logic 7 processing mode, or recently introduced DPL IIx)..

Originally posted by VTECMW
The verdict is still out on converting MP3/CD Audio to DVD Audio. Their is software out there to do it, but it's expensive. Also, it seem that quite a bit of effort is involved in making this conversion. DVD Audio has not gone mainstream, so the tools needed to make the conversion aren't there yet. If DVD Audio gains in popularity I'm sure Nero and other popular burning tools will support this.

I agree that the DVD Audio system should have been an option. There's nothing that suggests that DVD-A will become a popular format. SACD doesn't help its cause either. Acura is leading the market by offering this in the TL before the format has become mainstream. Yeah, a few older owners may enjoy listening to the Netherlands Bach Society and Concertgebouw Chamber Orchestra (Boni) in DVD-A. This is not mainstream though. If it never takes off it's a waste having it in the car. And, being that the TL is said to not support DVD-R/RW media, the CD to DVD-A conversion is useless as well. Hopefully something can be done with DVD+R though.

Bluetooth is a different story. A push will force automakers and cell phone makers to incorporate handsfree technology into their products. Bluetooth is the one technology that is maturing enough to make this happen in a short timeframe. I know it still needs a lots of work though.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Well said, VTECMW. Acura is definitely jumping the gun here on an untested music format, especially since the selection of DVD-A discs is very limiting.

As for Bluetooth, the possibilities for market acceptance looks very promising. Cell phones, PDAs, and mp3 players could all benefit from such technology.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Question ?

When it comes to sound quality even the best ears cannot tell the difference between WAV and MP3 when downloaded at 192 or above.

So what the heck everyone arguing about?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by amdmaxx
dude, stop the non-sense.. Nobody is converting mp3 to dvd-audio... There is NO such thing..
U can have your receiver/Pro/Pro take the 2 channel, aka stereo mp3 stream and by using it's powerful algorithm spread that signal to 5.1 or even 7.1 (read on on Lexicon's/HKs logic 7 processing mode, or recently introduced DPL IIx)..
I'm not saying convert MP3 to DVD-A in an attempt to improve the quality of the tracks, or distribute across the additional channels. It could and would not be true DVD-A from a fidelity standpoint. I'm saying convert it for the purpose of being able to store more music on a higher density disk.

If I could store 5 CDs on to one DVD and make some use of the TL's DVD-A system, that would compensate for the format not taking off IMO
Old 09-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm going to convert DVD-A to cassette to really utilize everything the new system has to offer.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Instructor

U could be right about that program... Never heard of it though and as I said, let the processor handle the distribution in my opinion...

I'm not saying convert MP3 to DVD-A in an attempt to improve the quality of the tracks, or distribute across the additional channels. It could and would not be true DVD-A from a fidelity standpoint. I'm saying convert it for the purpose of being able to store more music on a higher density disk.

If I could store 5 CDs on to one DVD and make some use of the TL's DVD-A system, that would compensate for the format not taking off IMO
Old 09-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Instructor

lol, I'd MUCH rather see mp3 cabability rather than that casette in there.. And lemme quote Acura: We r not putting mp3 because it lacks fidelity and wouldnt go well with car's image and prestige??? Gimme a break - cassette player does???

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I'm going to convert DVD-A to cassette to really utilize everything the new system has to offer.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:56 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by amdmaxx
lol, I'd MUCH rather see mp3 cabability rather than that casette in there.. And lemme quote Acura: We r not putting mp3 because it lacks fidelity and wouldnt go well with car's image and prestege??? Gimme a break - cassette player does???
Just put an 8-track in there! :p
Old 09-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Old 09-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Racer

I'd take mp3 over xm radio any day. As for DVD-A....we'll see.
It seems that at least half of the people would rather have mp3 instead of either cassette player or xm. Maybe Acura should consider having it by 2005.....when I shop for a new car
Old 09-14-2003, 11:59 PM
Race Director

You guys do know that they will have a MP3 player option $600-700, and it will be similar to the one the Accord offers, but I hear it has some more special features, I am keeping my fingers crossed to see if it shows ID3 Tags
Old 09-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Instructor

You guys do know that they will have a MP3 player option $600-700, and it will be similar to the one the Accord offers, but I hear it has some more special features, I am keeping my fingers crossed to see if it shows ID3 Tags
What kind of "special features" are you talking about?
Old 09-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Race Director

I dont know, but someone before mentioned that he talked to one of the Accessories manager, and the guy told him that Acura was working on a new MP3 CD Player, Similar to Accord's but It had more features so it was a little more ($600-700) than the Accord Player..
Old 09-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Instructor

It would be awesome if mp3 titles are displayed on the navi screen.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Instructor

agreed and I wanna see some winamp plug-in type of visuals..

$600-$700 is STEEP for something that is already there (cd/dbd laser mechanism)..

Originally posted by Master-G
It would be awesome if mp3 titles are displayed on the navi screen.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Is there a chance there will be Aux inputs on the stereo? If so, I'd rather hook up my own portable MP3 player for $120.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Advanced

just wandering, is there any car right now that has mp3 as standard feature??
Old 09-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
Originally posted by ghost
just wandering, is there any car right now that has mp3 as standard feature??
Buy a Beatle, get a free Ipod
Old 09-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Advanced

so VW beatle offer mp3 as standard feature???hmn...doesn't seem like it......they offer 6disc cd changer also..
so correct my if i'm wrong, there are currently no cars that come with mp3 as standard feature....why should TL offer them??? CD, while it can't hold as much as mp3 disc, is much easy and hazzle free. Afterall, u can't buy mp3 and put them in the car and listen..u have to have a computer+internet+download songs and put them on, while this may seem like a easy and fun thing for some of us, most ppl just wanna buy the cd and listen to them right away.......
Old 09-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Race Director

The new AUDI Navigation system comes with MP3 CD Capability, Somes Mazdas do too, and some ford rangers
Old 09-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

You never know if there's pressure from the RIAA. They tried to campaign against mp3 players and lost. I'm not saying there IS pressure or there ISNT, but it's just a thought.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Ye, new Audi NAV comes with mp3s.. Should be in USA soon..
Acura - remove the USELESS cassette and put mp3 cabability please.. U bet u will save money by removing $100 cassette deck and some weight/space also..
Old 09-17-2003, 02:20 PM
Advanced

i have to agree the cassette is pretty useless......even my mother who listens to oldies uses CD now...not to mention removing casette would allow more space under front console to put stuff like cellphone....change....cds..etc
Old 09-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Advanced

IPOD Owners.. don't waste your time with any of those FM transmitter and send the music wirelessly. They reception is like a bad radio station. My friend took his car n to a car-audio place, they installed a siple plug out from the dash or console and he just plugs in his iPod directly. Sound is amazing. 10,000 songs ready to go, and no more cd's in the car. It's great.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
and it all comes backt to wanting an MP3 player instead of a format (dvd-a) that nobody uses or can convert music to. i would like to see the tape player gone in favor of a mp3 player. i also wouldnt mind seeing a firewire or usb-2 connection to attach such devices as an i-pod.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by fsttyms1
and it all comes backt to wanting an MP3 player instead of a format (dvd-a) that nobody uses or can convert music to. i would like to see the tape player gone in favor of a mp3 player. i also wouldnt mind seeing a firewire or usb-2 connection to attach such devices as an i-pod.
You would also like the price to go up with a Firewire Connection

I wouldn't trade DVD-A for a MP3 Player, its not just the technology, but it has good sound system, even with normal cd's.. DVD-A is not there only for DVD Audio CDs, it will make a huge diff in the sound diff, it might even reach up to Mark Levinson System (The Standard)..

But I would take the Cassette player out for the MP3 Player, I mean, on Accord they sell MP3 Player for $500 and Cassette for $400, so It wouldn't be that much more..
Old 09-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

It should be integrated or nothing, IMO. Unless there is a flash card slot, I think it is silly to have two CD-drives.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
It should be integrated or nothing, IMO. Unless there is a flash card slot, I think it is silly to have two CD-drives.
I agree with you, the clean look is good, but Its better to have a MP3 Player that shows ID3 Tags, and looks nice, than have nothing.. Plus something to make the TL more colorful
Old 09-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Guys, lemme explain something to u.... There is NO need for the second drive, tray, etc.. The laser mechanism is already there, and it's a GOOD one, since u need a better, finer laser to read DVD-Audio disks (all dvd-audio disks will read cd disks (backward compatibility)... All they need to do is implement a $5 CHIP into Head Unit to decode the compressed mp3 files, that is ALL.. If u look into prices of portable CD players and portable CD/MP3 players u will find minimal price differences if ANY.. RIO SP150 - a very good CD/mp3 player can be found online on sale for around $30!!!
And it does look like the decision is ANONYMOUS - NOBODY wants a Cassette player and almost everyone would like to see MP3 player in there, or at least have it as an option (and we want scrolling 2 line ID3 tags on the screen....)

Quick Reply: No MP3 capability for '04 TL :(