Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No forced entry "break-in"

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 03:42 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No forced entry "break-in"

My co-workers "04 TL was burglarized twice in two weeks. Says he was sure the doors were locked when he left the car in a mall parking lot. There was no sign of forced entry. A few items were stolen both times. He suspects an electronic device was used to deactivate the alarm and unlock the car (similar to the ones used for garage doors). He called the local Acura dealer to find out if they were getting reports from other owners having experienced this violation of there vehicles. They told him the did receive several calls from other frustrated RL, TSX and TL owners. They have no idea as of yet or any recommendations as to how to stop this from happening. Anyone else experience this problem? Anyone have a remedy other than to go out and buy a new alarm system?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Has not happened to me but sounds kinda scary.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Instructor

I thought I remember seeing a thread a month or 2 ago about the same thing.

Someone on here had there car getting broken into, they were wondering if there was some kind of master key

Havent heard anything since....
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by becker800
I thought I remember seeing a thread a month or 2 ago about the same thing.

Someone on here had there car getting broken into, they were wondering if there was some kind of master key

Havent heard anything since....
I think traditionally, that was the how many theives were getting away with the stolen Hondas and Acuras. I don't see any reason why it couldn't happen again. I really wanted to post this thread as a reminder you just can't rely on or take for granted the built-in security systems in our cars.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Instructor

i think the problem can be attributed to the auto open window feature that allows for the key to open all windows and sunroof from the door... all they have to do is stick something in the keyhole and turn for the windows to drop... its not that cut and dry, i understand, but a more sophisticated tool can be how this is happening.

this is how a friend of mine got his headlights stolen on his infiniti fx... they didn't have to touch his bumper, just opened his windows and popped his hood to remove the lights... they even put the windows back up for him!

scary to think its that easy... shave your door locks!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ If you can stick something into the keyhole and turn it, why bother waiting for all the windows to go down? Before the windows are rolled down, the doors are already unlocked and you can do whatever you want with the car.

Anyways, I think this is more because Acura/Honda doesn't use rolling code with their keyless entry. Without rolling codes, anyone with a transceiver can basically copy the radio signal transmitted from the remote. Once the driver has disappeared, the bad guys can retransmit the signal and unlock the car.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

no forced entry break in

I have a customer that complained about the same thing happening. My question is does Acura have an inferior alarm system than it's competition? Or does everyone have the same level of security? My service department said they can't do a thing about it, which appears to be the case.
Regardless, I don't see how Acura can do anything about the problem at this point in time.

Originally Posted by cvillanu
My co-workers "04 TL was burglarized twice in two weeks. Says he was sure the doors were locked when he left the car in a mall parking lot. There was no sign of forced entry. A few items were stolen both times. He suspects an electronic device was used to deactivate the alarm and unlock the car (similar to the ones used for garage doors). He called the local Acura dealer to find out if they were getting reports from other owners having experienced this violation of there vehicles. They told him the did receive several calls from other frustrated RL, TSX and TL owners. They have no idea as of yet or any recommendations as to how to stop this from happening. Anyone else experience this problem? Anyone have a remedy other than to go out and buy a new alarm system?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bert Kanne
I have a customer that complained about the same thing happening. My question is does Acura have an inferior alarm system than it's competition? Or does everyone have the same level of security? My service department said they can't do a thing about it, which appears to be the case.
Regardless, I don't see how Acura can do anything about the problem at this point in time.

Yes - Acura has a POS alarm. There have been several of us who have posted to this web site (several in San Francisco) that have the unfortunate experience of having multiple breakins. Search for my alarm posts and you will get the sorted details. In short, my 04 TL was broken into 1 time, my 05 TL 3 times and a loaner TSX 1 time. The alarm NEVER went off in any of the breakins. They are not grabbing the codes out of the air because the loaner TSX didn't come with a remote yet they broke in easily. They could be using a code generator as the TL alarm has a set code that doesn't roll. I changed my code and that didn't stop the breakins. They could be sticking something into the door lock (master key or pick) and turning the tumbler - this deactivates the alarm. The key fob isn't required to deactivate the alarm.

My breakins have completely stopped - no thanks to Acura. I invested in an aftermarket alarm, deactivated my POS factory alarm and blocked access to the key hole. If someone really wants the car, they'll get it but the petty breakins are a thing of the past.

BTW - these guys are not professional car thiefs. They only rummage thru the car and take personal items. They never went for the air bags, Navi, headlights, seats, etc.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 260 HP
^^ If you can stick something into the keyhole and turn it, why bother waiting for all the windows to go down? Before the windows are rolled down, the doors are already unlocked and you can do whatever you want with the car.

Anyways, I think this is more because Acura/Honda doesn't use rolling code with their keyless entry. Without rolling codes, anyone with a transceiver can basically copy the radio signal transmitted from the remote. Once the driver has disappeared, the bad guys can retransmit the signal and unlock the car.

i was under the impression that once the doors were actually opened the alarm would/should go off... reading other posts i guess thats not the case...

i was comparing to my buddy's infiniti, which like i mentioned was broken into this way... doors were never actually opened...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sftroy
Yes - Acura has a POS alarm. There have been several of us who have posted to this web site (several in San Francisco) that have the unfortunate experience of having multiple breakins. Search for my alarm posts and you will get the sorted details. In short, my 04 TL was broken into 1 time, my 05 TL 3 times and a loaner TSX 1 time. The alarm NEVER went off in any of the breakins. They are not grabbing the codes out of the air because the loaner TSX didn't come with a remote yet they broke in easily. They could be using a code generator as the TL alarm has a set code that doesn't roll. I changed my code and that didn't stop the breakins. They could be sticking something into the door lock (master key or pick) and turning the tumbler - this deactivates the alarm. The key fob isn't required to deactivate the alarm.

My breakins have completely stopped - no thanks to Acura. I invested in an aftermarket alarm, deactivated my POS factory alarm and blocked access to the key hole. If someone really wants the car, they'll get it but the petty breakins are a thing of the past.

BTW - these guys are not professional car thiefs. They only rummage thru the car and take personal items. They never went for the air bags, Navi, headlights, seats, etc.
What aftermarket system did you decide on using? Who did the install? I think this is probably are only alternative.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Racer

Exclamation Big Easy Lockout Tool

Or they could be using the Big Easy Lockout Tool.

Big Easy Lockout Tool
Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Dr. Feelgood

If I remember correctly, all of these incidences happened in CA.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Pick the lock and you're in.

They (locksmiths) have these drill-like thingies that you just stick in the keyhole and press a button and the door is unlocked.

There's some wire in the door that disconnects the disarm_alarm when you key-unlock the car. If you cut this wire, the alarm will not disarm when you unlock the door via key. The alarm will not go off if you unlock the door, but it would go off if you opened the door. Not ideal, but hey, it's cheaper than a good aftermarket alarm.

I still haven't gotten around to actually looking at which wire.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
If I remember correctly, all of these incidences happened in CA.
Not true - search the site. If it is happening in CA its gonna happen elsewhere.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Instructor

What aftermarket system did you decide on using? Who did the install? I think this is probably are only alternative.

I got the Clifford Intelliguard 750 - it was installed by CITY CAR RADIO 1665 PACIFIC AVENUE , SAN FRANCISCO , CA 94109 Ph: 4157712039. They did a great job on the install. They were recommended to me by another TL owner who had multiple breakins as well. The glass break sensor is a pain though - it goes off frequently. According to the dealer, it happens when the car heats up in the sun and the leather and plastic expand and pop. Its been adjusted several times but I still get the annoying false alarm from time to time. BTW - if you go with the clifford, be sure to get the remote trunk release added as it is not part of the std install.

The system works OK - the windows don't remotely roll down (could have paid extra for this) and the trunk release doesn't work if you have the trunk lock engaged. I can still manually change the driver settings (I'm the only driver though).

hope this helps.
sftroy
Old 02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Be sure to complain to ACS about this flaw in the security system - they've known about it for quite some time as I (and others) complained about a year ago. Here is the contact info:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Acura Client Services
Mail Stop 500-2N-7E
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-9746
Phone: 800-382-2238
Old 02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
4th Gear

I got the Clifford Intelliguard 750 - it was installed by CITY CAR RADIO 1665 PACIFIC AVENUE , SAN FRANCISCO , CA 94109 Ph: 4157712039. They did a great job on the install. They were recommended to me by another TL owner who had multiple breakins as well. The glass break sensor is a pain though - it goes off frequently. According to the dealer, it happens when the car heats up in the sun and the leather and plastic expand and pop. Its been adjusted several times but I still get the annoying false alarm from time to time. BTW - if you go with the clifford, be sure to get the remote trunk release added as it is not part of the std install.

The system works OK - the windows don't remotely roll down (could have paid extra for this) and the trunk release doesn't work if you have the trunk lock engaged. I can still manually change the driver settings (I'm the only driver though).

hope this helps.
sftroy
Thanks sftroy! I will actually give City Car Radio a call. BTW how much did they charge for the alarm and install? Just want to know what to expect when I ask for the same deal. You can bet I will contact Acura about our issues. Thanks again for the contact info.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
That was one of the things I complained about when we got our two TLs. On my other car, I reprogrammed the factory alarm to require the use of the FOB to disable the alarm.

I tried the same on the TL, but it didn't support such a feature. As such, I think the wire is physically connected to the locking mechanism itself, because if you manually unlock the door from inside, it also disables the alarm. That doesn't happen in any of my other cars. The disarm on those are tied to the lock cylinder, because manually unlocking the doors in my other cars will not disarm the alarm.

Just because I'm super paranoid about this kind of crap, (and the fact that I couldn't figure out how to trip the alarm in the TL) I actually contemplated removing the entire rod from the lock cylinder, in addition to snipping any wires connected to said mechanism. That way even a slim jim won't unlock the door. (I think anyways)
Old 02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

if you are that scared then use your key to lock and unlock your cars instead of the remote this way they have no way of getting your codes....(do this in places that you are worried that someone might be near by etc...)
Old 03-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blueglows
if you are that scared then use your key to lock and unlock your cars instead of the remote this way they have no way of getting your codes....(do this in places that you are worried that someone might be near by etc...)
I think you are missing the point. They are breaking in by either using some type of "key" or by using a code generator to trip the alarm. Grabbing the alarm code isn't how they are doing it (at least in my case) - I know this because they broke into a loaner TSX I was driving that didn't have a remote, only a key.

To eliminate the key issue, I cut a blank key and put it in the lock then did the lock cover mod to eliminate the key hole. My driver's door/lock looks just like the passenger's door - no lock is showing. It is completely reversible but takes time to do, something the thieves wouldn't want to spend time doing and would trip my after market alarm in the process.

sftroy
Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Thanks sftroy! I will actually give City Car Radio a call. BTW how much did they charge for the alarm and install? Just want to know what to expect when I ask for the same deal. You can bet I will contact Acura about our issues. Thanks again for the contact info.
It was in the $400 range - don't remember - sorry. Call the dealer that is located in the SF Honda Dealership for a quote. You'll see they are much higher ~$100. You might be able to negotiate with them Try one or two others listed on Clifford's website. I found the dealers in the burbs cheaper (like the one on Steven's Creek) but I really didn't like the characters working there....
Old 03-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced

How can we do this? You got directions and/or pics?

To eliminate the key issue, I cut a blank key and put it in the lock then did the lock cover mod to eliminate the key hole. My driver's door/lock looks just like the passenger's door - no lock is showing. It is completely reversible but takes time to do, something the thieves wouldn't want to spend time doing and would trip my after market alarm in the process.

sftroy
Old 03-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gammah
How can we do this? You got directions and/or pics?
Its called the "shaved door mod." Basically you are ordering a $8-$10 part to replace the current cover on the driverside door.

Check out this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/quick-question-aftermarket-hu-125597/
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
5th Gear

?

Does the car send out a signal a transceiver can copy if you don’t use the remote to lock/open the doors? In other words use the key to lock the doors in questionable (high crime) areas.
Easy solution if it worked.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sweatinmyac
... they even put the windows back up for him!

scary to think its that easy... shave your door locks!
Wow, thanks alot.... fuckin pricks!

Originally Posted by sweatinmyac
i was under the impression that once the doors were actually opened the alarm would/should go off... reading other posts i guess thats not the case...
If my windows are already down, and I unlock and open the door by reaching in the car, my alarm goes off.