Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Blind Spot (3G Garage E-043)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Blind Spot (3G Garage E-043)

I have been using this method for almost 2 years since I heard about it on Car Talk, and though it takes awhile to get used to I totally love it now.

The trick is this:

1) (while parked) Place your head against the left window, and adjust the mirror so the side of the car is just about out of sight (mirror's view is basically paralell to the side of the car.) When you return your head to driving position, you'll probably be disoriented because the mirror is pointing out into the middle of nowhere.

2) Lean over over the center console, and do the same to the right mirror. Again, when you return to driving position, your right mirror is showing you some wierd out of the way view.

3) Now adjust the rear view mirror to center on your rear window.

As you drive, its wierd because what you see through the side mirrors is a rush of whatever your passing, always constant motion. That was the most disorienting part for me originally. However, you'll see someone behind you in your rearview mirror, and as they pass you it's like magic -- they leave your rearview mirror only to appear in your side mirror. By the time their leaving your side mirror, their right beside you and you can see them out the window.

Give it a shot! It takes awhile to get used to, and most people I've told it to can't stand it, but for me it has made a world of difference.
The following users liked this post:
masterstone (02-18-2013)
Old 06-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i tried it but can't stand it. its too dis-orienting when i am staring at the side mirror into nowhere and have to adjust my mind. i just do the quick peek at the side when i turn(i know some will argue its dangerous).
Old 06-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Mylriahd is right. There was a thread on this a couple of months ago, and I said what the hell, I can't see anything now so I will try the new method.

It really works. Especially the right side. If you have the mirrors adjusted far enough out there is virtually no blind spot.

Takes some getting used to, but if you use the inside mirror to see what's straight behind the car, and the side mirrors to see what's on the side, then usually a really quick glance, not even turning to look backwards, will do the trick.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Drifting

I can't believe anyone would not adjust their mirrors like this. Most people have never been taught properly how to adjust mirrors. The idea is to see other vehicles, and if you are looking at nothing, then that means there are no vehicles to hit. When people adjust their mirrors to see the side of their car just to keep from being disoriented....they are useless. Do it right and you will never go back. The problem is driving instructors never taught it properly in the first place. This is so basic!!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:56 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a weird method of being able to see blind spots. my side mirrors are adjusted the way i want (so i can see just a little bit of my car). all i do is lean forward and look in the side mirror if i can't see what's in my blind spot. i know, it's weird but it works for me please don't hate.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

seems like it would work for cars that are already close to the TL and are moving at a normal or constant speed. but are there risks for any fast moving cars that are moving fast in either the left or right lane of the car that you may need to see.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:47 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
YUpe! It works and have been working fro me since I started driving. However, if you do not adjust it properly, you tend to miss lane splitting bikers.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

There was a thread on this a month or so ago and I decided to try it.

After one week I had become adjusted to the new mirror angle. The way I measured the angle to set mine, instead of leaning my head, I adjusted to a slight overlap between the side mirror and rearview mirror. This overlap prevents cars from being caught in a blindspot.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Team Anthracite

i always use my shoulder... always
Old 06-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by smiranda69
seems like it would work for cars that are already close to the TL and are moving at a normal or constant speed. but are there risks for any fast moving cars that are moving fast in either the left or right lane of the car that you may need to see.

For cars further back or moving at a faster clip, you can always spot them with the inside rearview. I was following a G35 in my mirrors last weekend coming up to me real quick weaving in and out of lanes. I was in the #1 lane doing about 80-85 in a 65 zone. Once he caught up, he just tailed me (not close) instead of passing me. Dude kept on changing lanes to keep pace behind me even though he could have passed me. I think he was just checking out my ride. Anyways, it went on for a good 10 miles before I exited, but I never lost sight of him in my mirrors.

I've been using this method since getting the TL and hearing about it on this forum. Now I try to preach it to everyone. It took some time to get used to, but works amazingly well. Once adjusted properly, you virtually have no blindspots. I use the same method with my SUV and the results are the same. I only wish I read about this method 15 years ago when I first started driving. This should definitely be a part of Driver Ed.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Interesting...Thanks Big...I think I'll give this a try.

BTW...does this mirror set up cause and problems when backing out of a parking space?
Old 06-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
What s/he said....

BTW...does this mirror set up cause and problems when backing out of a parking space?
Does the tilt down function still help when backing?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Racer

I too have my mirrors set this way however, I still use my shoulder to double check. Checking over my shoulder has saved my ass one to many times.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I too switched and love it except for one thing.....in school parking lots you don't get a good view of little children behind the car the way you do with the side mirrors in the 'wrong' orientation.

For that reason, my TL gets the newfangled 'right' way and the wife's Odyssey gets the 'wrong' way.

BJ
Old 06-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by xpditor42

Does the tilt down function still help when backing?
At least in my old 2002 TL, yes. The tilt function not only goes down, but to the inside as well. So reversing, the tilt mirror always goes to the same place regardless of where your mirror points regularly. I get my new TL anyday and will be more than happy to tell you after that fact.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:28 AM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by caball88
i tried it but can't stand it. its too dis-orienting when i am staring at the side mirror into nowhere and have to adjust my mind. i just do the quick peek at the side when i turn(i know some will argue its dangerous).
Actually your supposed to take a quick glance... its called checking your blind spot :P.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Yep GaleForce. This is the way I learned to drive many years ago. Don't they teach this way anymore? Just look over your shoulder before you change lanes. I would never trust mirrors alone.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

True, you shouldn't trust the mirrors alone. But if the mirrors are adjusted properly, the look over your shoulder is just as GF said - a quick glance. With improperly adjusted mirrors you need a longer look away from the direction the car is headed in, and that can be just as dangerous as not checking your blind spot.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by narnia
Yep GaleForce. This is the way I learned to drive many years ago. Don't they teach this way anymore? Just look over your shoulder before you change lanes. I would never trust mirrors alone.
No, we still learn this way. I took Drivers Ed last year. I have no problem glancing over my shoulder and, like you said, I just wouldn't trust my mirrors alone. If you take a quick look and see nothing there you know nothing is there. Don't have to do it all the time, just if you don't know what is behind you.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I tried it on my way to work today and I love it!! It's amazing how you never lose sight of the cars anywhere. I still quickly shoulder check, but now I can do it the proper way, meaning only turning my head a maximum of 60°. I can see everywhere else and the shoulder check requires less time.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:34 PM

Shoulder check requires the minimum amount of time anyway... you shouldn't be staring over your shoulder. You just turn back and then forward again. If there was a car in your blind spot you would know, you don't have to study the area.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:57 AM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

hmmmmmm interesting...will have to try this..
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Holy Bumped Post Batman

As long as its open, when backing up, Can the tilt down mirrors be adjusted and set in memory to a different position? I want to actually see my rear wheel. I've tried before and mine didn't set into memory. In fact when I changed the position and took the car out of reverse the mirrors didn't tilt back up at all.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JoganJani
YUpe! It works and have been working fro me since I started driving. However, if you do not adjust it properly, you tend to miss lane splitting bikers.

That would suck, but then again it wouldn't really be your fault then would it?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Um, why not get some convex mirrors? I have these two small convex mirrors, and they work beautifully. I've had them on every one of my cars.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I've used this method for a while. It is less distracting on highways than side streets. The closer the cars are to you as you go past them (or them past you) the more annoying it can be for some people. In the city is when it can be worst. I personally left just a little bit of overlap between side and rear view mirrors. I still keep blindspot mirrors on some of my cars as it helps to park. For that I just use the little 1.5" or 2" round ones to help out.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:00 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried this method but was not happy with the way I have to adjust my body when I back up into a parking spot...so I'll stick to the 1" round convex mirrors...
BTW, just after High School I joined a tractor trailer trainig facility and not to compare apples and oranges, but I was taught that the side mirrors were to check the "rear" of the vehicle and the convex ones to check for passing vehicles (blind spots) and backing up...
Old 06-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Go B's Go

ive never tried adjusting my mirrors in that way. But for me its just an instinct to make a visual check before changing lanes, so even if i did have no blind i'd still be checking by turning around so it would do no good for me
Old 06-15-2005, 10:01 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by BstonBruin
ive never tried adjusting my mirrors in that way. But for me its just an instinct to make a visual check before changing lanes, so even if i did have no blind i'd still be checking by turning around so it would do no good for me
That's a very good driving habit. I do the same most of the time... but I also rely on my blind spot mirrors.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JetJock
Most people have never been taught properly how to adjust mirrors. The idea is to see other vehicles. When people adjust their mirrors to see the side of their car just to keep from being disoriented....they are useless. Do it right and you will never go back. The problem is driving instructors never taught it properly in the first place. This is so basic!!

exactly!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:05 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by deandorsey
exactly!
????..........My next question is...do you back into parking spots or pull in?....and so do you turn around?...I use my mirrors... and allways back in...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I've had my mirrors adjusted this way for years. I always hated it whenever I let anyone else drive and they'd fuck up the mirrors to show the side of the car. The TL is my first car with the memory setting for that stuff and it makes life a LOT nicer in that regard. I don't understand why anyone would want to see the side of the car in the mirror. Really, what's the point? (I do think that viewing the side of the car is why some people think that the sideview mirrors are called "rearview mirrors.")

In response to HEK's point, I never back into parking spaces. Never saw the point. I do pull through sometimes if I'm in a place where that's feasible, although the top prioritity is to try to get a space that's sheltered from other vehicles on as many sides as possible.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:48 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I, too, always back into parking spots using my mirrors. It makes pulling out of the area a lot easier rather than having to back out slowly just to go forward again. I had heard about this mirror adjustment before, but never really tried it. It's just a habit for me to look over my shoulder quickly if I'm making a lane change.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
This whole mirror thing is interesting...definitely not what they taught me in driver's ed, definitely not how my parents set up their mirrors, etc. I'm intrigued about it...might have to try it...I still prefer looking over my shoulder and turning around to back into spaces (I trust my eyes more than a mirror), but I'll check it out.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

This is from the National Motorists Association on adjusting rear view mirrors and yes, it does work as the others have attested to. It does take a little bit of getting used to, and when you finally make the adjustment, no blind spot.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:54 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JetJock
I can't believe anyone would not adjust their mirrors like this. Most people have never been taught properly how to adjust mirrors. The idea is to see other vehicles, and if you are looking at nothing, then that means there are no vehicles to hit. When people adjust their mirrors to see the side of their car just to keep from being disoriented....they are useless. Do it right and you will never go back. The problem is driving instructors never taught it properly in the first place. This is so basic!!

It's no wonder there are so many clueless drivers out there...and I can't believe that they are on this forum!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:47 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by SBTL

It's no wonder there are so many clueless drivers out there...and I can't believe that they are on this forum!

clueless?...whatever works for you I'd say, I have not side swipped anyone off the road in all my 30 years of driving never mind being involved in an accident that was caused by me being clueless....Sorry I'll stick to my cheap convex mirrors....

Carry on
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
This is from the National Motorists Association on adjusting rear view mirrors and yes, it does work as the others have attested to. It does take a little bit of getting used to, and when you finally make the adjustment, no blind spot.
The NMA's site is where I first learned about it back in 1995 (their site religiously tracked the repeal of the National Speed Limit, so back then I checked it daily for updates).
Old 06-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Racer

I tried this setup last night and I must admit it's actually a better set up. It still needs getting used to but overall I'm very impressed. Usually I never really use my side mirrors often, especially the passenger side. I always turn to check. I think that is the hardest part of this transition is because I've never ever been dependant on my side mirrors. But I'm finding it alot easier to enter the freeway and change lanes. Right now I'm still in the fascination phase. I find myself just checking out cars passing by watch them come from the rear view mirror to the side view mirror. It's weird yet so fascinating. Another weird thing is that now that I see the cars to the side of me, it seems like everyone is always looking at me. I'm used to looking to the back and see the guy looking back, but now I see the people on the sides looking back as well. Weird stuff. Thanks for the tip guys.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
They're all looking because they wish they had a TL!

I'm going to try this this weekend...see how it is when I don't have to deal with rush hour and people who can't drive (well, at least not as many).

Quick Reply: No Blind Spot (3G Garage E-043)