3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nighthawk Black Owners: Do You Have Swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nighthawk Black Owners: Do You Have Swirls?

I love the nighthawk black pearl color on the TL...sleek, sexy, sophisticated, stylish. But I've owned black cars in the past and always regretted it because the black paint so vividly shows swirl marks from washing and/or waxing. I've seen some posts by TL owners who are unhappy with the paint on the TL. So my question is: How bad are the paint swirls with Acura's nighthawk black pearl paint? Is it still an issue or are swirls more or less evident.

I'd like to get black, but I hate to look at my car when the sun is shining on it and see all the swirls in the finish. Sure, the more careful a person is during cleaning and waxing the less likely swirls will appear. But let's be honest, after a year or so of cleaning/waxing even the most careful person will scratch the paint surface... Have I just answered my own question?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Racer

yes.

In time, no matter how much you cared for your car, you will get swirl marks.

You will get all the rock chips and sometimes scratches that appear our of nowhere. especially everytime your wash your car there is a new one being discovered.

I wash my car, and when I see those scratches, man I tell you, I get pretty pissed. But afterwards.....after waxing that baby up...especially with Zaino in my experience.....it is most rewarding.

I love my NBP. No other color looks better after wash.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Yes
Old 03-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Team Nighthawk Whiner

Originally Posted by fotodad
I love the nighthawk black pearl color on the TL...sleek, sexy, sophisticated, stylish. But I've owned black cars in the past and always regretted it because the black paint so vividly shows swirl marks from washing and/or waxing. I've seen some posts by TL owners who are unhappy with the paint on the TL. So my question is: How bad are the paint swirls with Acura's nighthawk black pearl paint? Is it still an issue or are swirls more or less evident.

I'd like to get black, but I hate to look at my car when the sun is shining on it and see all the swirls in the finish. Sure, the more careful a person is during cleaning and waxing the less likely swirls will appear. But let's be honest, after a year or so of cleaning/waxing even the most careful person will scratch the paint surface... Have I just answered my own question?
I've wax'd mine about three times. When I had it done professionally I could not detect swirls at all. It's hard to keep clean, but man it sure is pretty when it is. Hard color to beat if you take care of it.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Racer

I have a few swirls. I do the best I can. I still love the way the TL looks in black, swirls and all.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Racer

Yes.
Swirl marks, rock chips, dents are all not preventable on ANY color, it's just easier to be seen on dark color. By looking closely, I could see swirl marks on my silver Accord too. Choose the color you like the most.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Expecting a new baby (black)

Slightly OT: I looked at a NBP (black) TL in bright sunlight when I ordered mine last Sunday and noticed it had tiny bright blue metallic flecks in the paint. I never noticed that before. I guess that's where the "pearl" comes from?

More on topic: I have a black Jeep Wrangler that gets pretty muddied up in the Everglades. But when I clean it up, it is righteous sweet. It's a '92. No visible swirls. I slap some New Finish on it a couple times a year and it's good to go. :o

So, please don't make me more nervous than I already am as I clean and paint my garage/nursery in anticipation of my new black "baby".
Old 03-31-2004, 04:22 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some black cars will have swirls.....

xpditor- i also noticed.. in the sun... the car does have blue metallic specs.... I think it looks good with these blue specs...
Old 03-31-2004, 04:34 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up No rotating motion and No swirls

I've washed mine at least 10 times in last 3 months. And I've Zainoed twice. I do not have swirls. You might get micro scratches but if you made sure that you do not wash or polish in rotating motion, you'll have less or no swirls. I've always washed/polished in back n forth motion on hood, top and trunk and up n down motion on doors, side panels and I can say I do not have swirls.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I think most of deep/dark-like colors will have swirl-effect after cleaning/washing. It's just the matter of time. I think my 94Legend has the better and thicker paint finish, but its Dark Green begins to have swirl effect after months.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

i just washed and dried our anthracite loaner car. once again i noticed perfect circles in numerous locations. my conclusions are this: they must be from suction cups at the factory; the dealer must not have polished or paint protected the car even though it has a clear bra. my nbp that i returned to the dealer also had these circles.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Drifting

I had 2 black TL's in the past. One was a 2001 TL, the other a 2002 TL-S, and both had swirls no matter how I took care of it. I just gave up and got anthracite for my 2004 TL. The black cars were garaged, never driven in the rain, and covered when indoors for more than a few days without driving. These cars were a nightmare trying to keep looking good and I just couldn't take it any more. My anthracite car looks great even covered with dust. BTW....a few weeks ago I was in the dealer showroom and looking at another Acura with nighthawk pearl paint. I just touched the paint and I noticed swirl marks where I rubbed it...it brought back horrors from the previous black cars I've owned....NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Team Nghthwk Whipping Boy

I'm waiting for my Zaino order to arrive. If it can get the swirls out I'll be truly impressed.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Racer

Zaino is not that magical. I have 4 coats (2 Z2s, 2 Z5s) on my NBP already, still see swirls.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Not yet, but...

Swirls are part of life- you can minimize them, you can conceal them but, like wrinkles post 40, they always start to show up.

Personally, I'm going to do my best not to obsess about my NBP/Ebony TL. I want to drive her and enjoy her...sorry, I keep thinking of my TL as female for some reason Anyway, if I get too tense about every little thing it will ruin my pleasure in driving.

And, although I plan on washing by hand and doing my polishing myself, I won't freak out if my dealer washes my car for me. I also will do my best not to fret about the "six layer hand rubbed beauty" of Zaino and will, instead, be happy with my easy to buy/apply and less expensive Maguires. I also swear to...

Hmmm, just a second: this all started to sound like I was entering an addiction counselling program or something...
Old 04-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Talking

Yep, have a couple of swirls...still love the black pearl....

Ok, Ok, Ok...seriously now. I do love my choice in vehicle color. I did think about the Anthracite for the dirt hiding qualities but I am not sorry I got the black. I love it. You see less of them around and I like the uniqueness of that too. You cannot wrap the car in a bubble and protect it although sometimes I feel myself crossing that line....

Enjoy the TL, I am so glad I have the chance to own one!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:52 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK AP

Zaino

I have NBP too and have found some swirl marks. I am going to be getting Zaino any day now and have to work on getting it put on my car soon. The weather is not too favorable now though.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Yes
Old 04-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Racer

No swirls yet (knocking on wood) after 4 months of washing and 3 coats of Zaino. I even looked down on the hood after the Zaino treatment and didn't notice any thing but reflection (damm, I look good).

I don't think washing or waxing in circular motion causes this. I think it's more of metal flexing under the paint and the paint isn't as mallable as the metal thus is showing fishers (tiny cracks).

I also think the blue under the black is cool. I first noticed it after filling up at a gas station at night. I went inside the store to buy a coke and when I returned, I thought that my car was gone and some other TL was coincidently at my spot.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 PM