Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby, please be gentle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
My 06 was 24, and was near 30 new, thats what im referring to, NEW. I hate how as soon as people see an 18 year old driving my car they give me looks. Its just unfair to assume im an asshole with it.
I understand how much TLs cost new. I bought mine new. For the purposes of the OP though, he stated he was looking for a car several years old ie not new. That completely removes the 30k from the equation. I know lots of members have the proclivity to bash younger members whenever they see TL and an age under 20 in the same sentence - it is just misplaced in this thread as it really has nothing to do with their own personal issues.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newer TSX

If you are willing to go around 25 grand, I've heard (though I'm not 100%) that they have extremely high crash test ratings, though they have a sub-par braking time. I test drove one and loved it.

That said, put me in the camp of "teenagers should have to pay for all or most of their cars." Yeah, it sucked driving a crappy little dodge colt and then a Mazda 626 when I was in High School, but it taught me a lot of responsibility. Then again, this is not a parenting thread, and I don't want to tell you how to parent any more than I want you to tell me how to raise my girls.

I just bought my 05 TL Navi for well under 20 grand OTD from a private party and think that if you are going to let a teenager drive it, then you had better make her read through the instruction book and learn how to control the sometimes-confusing radio and other controls before driving. There is a lot on the car that can distract even an experienced driver, so be careful of that. My wife doesn't like to drive it because it is a little overwhelming to her (she about had a heart attack just sitting in the driver's seat of a Prius). Whatever you decide, good luck!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by TacomaMan
We're driving up to Columbus this summer for the Street Safe Driving School put on by BMW.
She's gonna have to be able to handle a car before we let her out on her own, that's why the driving school. Still, there are way too many fools on the road w/a cell phone texting...

The model of car matters less than the training of the driver.
Once a driver understands defensive driving and how the car reacts in an emergency, the driver has a better chance of getting out unscathed, whether the car is a Nissan Sentra, Lambo Diablo or something in between, like a 3G TL.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 PM
7th Gear

Yes, I'm also considering an 09 TSX

Originally Posted by pererau
If you are willing to go around 25 grand, I've heard (though I'm not 100%) that they have extremely high crash test ratings, though they have a sub-par braking time. I test drove one and loved it.

That said, put me in the camp of "teenagers should have to pay for all or most of their cars." Yeah, it sucked driving a crappy little dodge colt and then a Mazda 626 when I was in High School, but it taught me a lot of responsibility. Then again, this is not a parenting thread, and I don't want to tell you how to parent any more than I want you to tell me how to raise my girls.

I just bought my 05 TL Navi for well under 20 grand OTD from a private party and think that if you are going to let a teenager drive it, then you had better make her read through the instruction book and learn how to control the sometimes-confusing radio and other controls before driving. There is a lot on the car that can distract even an experienced driver, so be careful of that. My wife doesn't like to drive it because it is a little overwhelming to her (she about had a heart attack just sitting in the driver's seat of a Prius). Whatever you decide, good luck!
Found a certified one, in Georgia for 19 and change. So yeah, def.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
Same, the nicest things at my school are my TL, a 2010 Camaro SS/RS (OMG lol), and my buddys Charger and Z06, mostly all beaters and lifted red neck trucks.

When I was in HS, there was a '69 Mach1 Mustang Cobrajet in the parking lot. Midnight blue with camel leather interior. Mint. Damn thing was worth a fortune, even then. Another kid had a '93 911 turbo for about a week before he wrecked it. Most kids drove Lexus or BMW though. And here I was in an '84 Toyota Tercel They could have at least gotten me a Celica. Still slow, but looked much better.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Im 17 and i love my TL, but i am very very very tempted to see what this baby can do. But then again, i have been to a few specialized driving schools with my uncle, who drives a ferrari 458 , lucky ass bastard, so i know how to control it.

not to be sexist, but girl drivers with fast cars = disaster. ive seen too many wrecks caused by teenage girls in nice cars. the TL is a very safe car, so thats always a plus, but all that baby wants to do is go.

oh and yeah alot of kids at my school drive lexus and bmws and corvettes. one kid has a lamborghini. so im in the middle of the pack lol
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 AM
6th Gear

Buy her a under 2k car cus chances are shes gonna wreck it
Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 AM
Instructor

cant hate on the OP for wanting the best for his daughter, or some of the younger kids who have a nice ride, some are just getting into the car they love, maybe they are paying themselves or some help, some people are just rich, i know when i was young, i got my Acura Integra GS, and thought i was on top of the world, sure it was a 1990 and 4 years old, but to me it was a dream come true! still was about $10 G at that time, parents want to do best by there children, even if they are doing what the children want, the OP is looking for whats best for his daughter, if a TL is a safe car, which it is, i see no reason why not to get her that, as pointed out, it may gear quicker in speed, but is a lot safer than a 4 banger, and also pointed out, its about the persons maturity driving more than age, is she is responsible, she should do just as well as she would with a civic, but with a safer car, what the OP is looking for and what i agre with, whats safer is whats best overall, not what she is entitled to or not..just my 2 cents
Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInkredible
Buy her a under 2k car cus chances are shes gonna wreck it
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TacomaMan
We're driving up to Columbus this summer for the Street Safe Driving School put on by BMW.

I'd put her in the TSX if it were safer than the TL, but IIHS and other organizations say otherwise.
http://www.informedforlife.org/demos...sterSCOREr.pdf

She's gonna have to be able to handle a car before we let her out on her own, that's why the driving school. Still, there are way too many fools on the road w/a cell phone texting........... LOL,Imjstdrvng
You can't protect her from everyday life. I am a father and grandfather, so I know where you are coming from. But you have to reach the point whereas how much can I really do?

Driving School is the single best birthday gift you can give a daughter or son IMO.
She will learn to anticipate, and look much further ahead for danger, which will be all around her. That's the best protection you can give her.

I went to the Midohio High Performance School (2 day) at the ripe old age of
54, and what an experience! I sent my wife up the next year for the adult Defensive Driving class.

My grandson has has two savings accounts at age three. One for college, and one for driving school, and he won't be allowed a cell phone until AFTER driving school