Newby, please be gentle

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010 | 04:23 PM
7th Gear

Newby, please be gentle

Contemplating buying my teen daughter an 05-07 TL or 05/06 RL.

Safety then reliability is by far the most important things. We're considering all certified, except for the 07 (simply can't afford). These are all TL's.

Does the 07 have any greater advantages over the 05-06's?
Are there any reliability issues that cropped up on any of these TL's.

Anyone who can tell me about their exp w/an early RL and will it be (SIGNIFICANTLY) less reliable than TL's

Thanx in advance
Tacoman
Old 04-08-2010 | 04:32 PM
Instructor

You shouldn't have too many problems with either the RL or TL. They will need more maintenance then a basic 4 cyl Accord but they are both a LOT more car for the money spent.

The only big issue with the RL will probably be propeller shaft whine that seems pretty common ($1600 to fix it). My RL needed 2 new engine mounts at 80k miles ($500). Other then that its been pretty trouble free. I would say go for the newer TL over the 05 RL though because unless she needs the AWD system there is no reason for it. Then there is no rear diff and transfer case to service.
Old 04-08-2010 | 04:53 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by TacomaMan
Rear-view camera on all Navi-equipped '07+ TL (not OEM on preceding years of the 3G TL)
Mini-plug inlet (for iPods, MP3 players) on the '07+ TL was not available on the earlier-year TL.

The 3.5L '07+ TL-S is faster, has Navi as standard and a bullet-proof auto transmission from the RL (the regular 3.2-engine TL's auto transmission is a modified form of the earlier 1999-2003 Honda V6 glass transmissions). The TL-S is also the only '07+ TL available with a stick shift, while all the '05-'06 TLs had manuals as a (somewhat rare) option.
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:05 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Rear-view camera on all Navi-equipped '07+ TL (not OEM on preceding years of the 3G TL)
Mini-plug inlet (for iPods, MP3 players) on the '07+ TL was not available on the earlier-year TL.

The 3.5L '07+ TL-S is faster, has Navi as standard and a bullet-proof auto transmission from the RL (the regular 3.2-engine TL's auto transmission is a modified form of the earlier 1999-2003 Honda V6 glass transmissions). The TL-S is also the only '07+ TL available with a stick shift, while all the '05-'06 TLs had manuals as a (somewhat rare) option.
Nice info from you guys. My daughter+stick=disaster
Didn't know the TL-S had the venerable RL tranny. This def as a new dimension to this search, problem is finding an auto TL-S that is in my wheel house
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:14 PM
Drifting

I think, as a teen, to get the TSX. Since I had to pay for all the maintenance for my TL, I feel there is a big hole in my wallet. I'm not saying that the cars aren't reliable, but when it comes to maintenance time, I kinda wished I had a TSX or other 4 cyl. car. The RL, would be a bad choice in my opinion. It is big, and the priciest to maintain.

The TL, and this is unbiased, is extremely safe. The summer before I got my TL, I was in a friends, we had stopped at a 4 way stop sign, no cars came, so we pulled through. Then, to the left, comes the Ford F-350 (huge ass truck) racing the equivalent sized truck from GMC (3500?). Anyways, the GMC stopped, quickly but the Ford came through the sign doing roughly 75mph according to him, and the police. The TL sure did its job. All airbags deployed, the seatbelts held us tight, and we spun and flipped over. The TL was totaled, and all I had was three one-inch long scratches and my friend had a bruised leg (the driver hit his side) and multiple scratches. That incident was one of the main reasons why my parents got me the TL. Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:19 PM
7th Gear

It helps more than you know

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
I think, as a teen, to get the TSX. Since I had to pay for all the maintenance for my TL, I feel there is a big hole in my wallet. I'm not saying that the cars aren't reliable, but when it comes to maintenance time, I kinda wished I had a TSX or other 4 cyl. car. The RL, would be a bad choice in my opinion. It is big, and the priciest to maintain.

The TL, and this is unbiased, is extremely safe. The summer before I got my TL, I was in a friends, we had stopped at a 4 way stop sign, no cars came, so we pulled through. Then, to the left, comes the Ford F-350 (huge ass truck) racing the equivalent sized truck from GMC (3500?). Anyways, the GMC stopped, quickly but the Ford came through the sign doing roughly 75mph according to him, and the police. The TL sure did its job. All airbags deployed, the seatbelts held us tight, and we spun and flipped over. The TL was totaled, and all I had was three one-inch long scratches and my friend had a bruised leg (the driver hit his side) and multiple scratches. That incident was one of the main reasons why my parents got me the TL. Hope this helps
This helps more than you can ever know!!

The TSX, can't touch the TL in IIHS tests-esp, side impact. I'll pay a little more in service for safety. I can always put the bill on a credit card, but can't buy a new daughter
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:33 PM
9 mpg.

I can always put the bill on a credit card, but can't buy a new daughter
Great Dad, props.
Old 04-08-2010 | 05:57 PM
Area on my XM

I think your daughter will be pleased with the third generation TL. If you can find one within your price range, pick-up a vehicle with the navigation option. Then find a current DVD for it. She will find it very useful in the future, especially if she decides to go to college later on in an unfamiliar city. Safety and reliability are top notch, and so far maintenance costs have been below average for a car of this caliber. I understand that you may want to avoid early-'04 models as they suffered from some of the second generation AT problems. There was a recall done to fix these affected cars, so you can keep that in mind.

I have an '04. If you can find one with low miles like I did (21k in '08, CPO), that will probably be your best bang for your buck.
Old 04-08-2010 | 06:25 PM
Drifting

This helps more than you can ever know!!

The TSX, can't touch the TL in IIHS tests-esp, side impact. I'll pay a little more in service for safety. I can always put the bill on a credit card, but can't buy a new daughter
No problem. To be honest, I didn't know the safety ratings of the TSX. You daughter should like the TL. They are great cars. For me, the only thing major has been a rack and pinion leak and a oil leak. I'd be glad to help on any questions you or your daughter have. I have already experienced a lot with this car and I will surely have an answer for you.
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:11 PM
Racer

I know this view won't exactly be popular, especially with the younger people on here, but thinking back to myself and my friends when I was in high school, I'm not sure a TL is the wisest choice for a relatively new driver. It's got a lot of power and a lot of distractions. Do you really want your daughter to be typing on the navigation screen while flooring it in a 250hp car?

Were I shopping for a teen, I'd be looking at something like a 4 cylinder Accord, or even a Civic. They're gonna drive like a bat out of hell anyway - no need to make it easy on them. When I was that age I damn near killed myself in my dad's Toyota Tercel. I can't even imagine what I'd have done if I'd had a car like the TL, but it wouldn't have been pretty.
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:20 PM
Advanced

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living and what do you drive? In no way am I making any judgment on your decision. When I was in HS, I had plenty of friends and peers that drove TLs, Bimmers, Benzs, etc. I'm just curious as to what kind of job puts yourself in a position financially to be able to afford a TL for your daughter.

By the way you're daughter is very lucky.
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:33 PM
Instructor

do it. don't worry about the type s model for your daughter. i would have killed for one of these at 16 but probably would not have realized it at that age. my cars so far: '93 Mazda 626 ---> '03 Acura RSX ----> '04 TL. never again will i own a coupe.
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:37 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

it is going to be a nice ride for your kid and both are good vehicles so you can't go wrong
Old 04-08-2010 | 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Im also a teen, the TL is my second vehicle, first car. Its a great car, lots of features, mines an 06', its very comfortable. I have yet to have a problem that ACURA hasnt paid to fix for free. Id vote the tl as its a good sized, reliable car.
Old 04-08-2010 | 08:05 PM
I'm Craig

My sister got her 2004 TL when she was 19 and loved it. She's 22 now and loves it just as much- and this is coming from the girliest girl you can ever find. I got my 2005 TL last summer at the age of 16 and love it as well. IMO, having a nice car at this age has made me a better drive as I'm afraid of messing it up.
Old 04-08-2010 | 08:13 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

If you consider yourself to be even REMOTELY concerned about your daughter's safety, you'd be buying her a 4-banger. These are not slow cars, nor will they be driven slowly by a teen driver...you're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.
Old 04-08-2010 | 08:14 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by db78
If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living and what do you drive? In no way am I making any judgment on your decision. When I was in HS, I had plenty of friends and peers that drove TLs, Bimmers, Benzs, etc. I'm just curious as to what kind of job puts yourself in a position financially to be able to afford a TL for your daughter.

Eh, plenty of spoiled rich kids on here, dude. Just gotta get used to it.
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:07 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Originally Posted by DeathMetal

Plenty...I however am proud to say that at 16, I paid EVERY cent for my car....$8800 out the door, and 250 a month for insurance, and all of my gas costs, oil, maintenance, etc.
At school, their are kids driving new s5's, bmws, benzs, g8's, chargers, etc...Brand new...
No offense to anybody on here, op included, but as a 17 year old, I think that responsibility and self support is more important to learn than just getting a new car from your parents.
Old 04-08-2010 | 09:15 PM
I'm Craig

If you consider yourself to be even REMOTELY concerned about your daughter's safety, you'd be buying her a 4-banger. These are not slow cars, nor will they be driven slowly by a teen driver...you're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.
I drive my TL and love it. But...I do very much agree with the above statement. There's a reason my insurance is close to $2k a year. I don't drive like dick as most guys my age do, but there sure as hell is a lot of power under my right foot begging to be tested.

Luckily you're looking at this car for your daughter. Girls are less of an issue than guys when it comes to that kind of stuff. Get her a TL. Good to see you're looking outside the box- not looking at used BMW 328i's, etc.
Old 04-08-2010 | 10:00 PM
Area on my XM

I never understood this theory.

An Accord or Civic will both do 100 mph. The TL just gets you there a few seconds quicker. However, I would opt to say that with the additional standard safety equipment on any given 3G TL vs a run-of-the-mill compact and mid-size sedan, the TL will fare better in most, if not all, crash situations.

I would gladly give my teen a TL over a Corolla, Civic or Accord any day. No kidding.
Old 04-08-2010 | 10:04 PM
Advanced

My best recommendation would be an 06 TL with as low miles/best record as you can find for the price. What a good father to consider this car for his daughter! She is lucky. The 07-08 model does have some creature comforts but TPMS is the only thing that I'd say is safety-related other than the mentioned back-up cam. I have heard many still rave about their 1st Gen TSXs though and they can be found for a great price these days.
Old 04-08-2010 | 10:13 PM
Drifting

Regarding the TL is not for young people.

The TL is NOT the best car for a teen or first driver. Yes it is quick and yes it does have distractions. But that is a risk to take. Honestly...it is year 2010...and a 04 TL is 6 yrs.-7yrs. old. It would be much better than getting a 08 Accord or something similar to that. If the OP feels he can afford the expenses and risks that come with a TL, then let him buy it. And we don't know if it is her first car or not. His daughter could be 19...which means possibly 3 yrs of driving experience. So it may not be her first car. It could be a graduation gift or something.
Old 04-08-2010 | 11:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
I never understood this theory.

An Accord or Civic will both do 100 mph. The TL just gets you there a few seconds quicker.
And that makes all the difference. It's a lot harder to lose traction in a corner and crash into a tree in a car that isn't very powerful than in a front-drive car with 250 horses under the hood. It's a lot less tempting to get into a stoplight drag race in a 4 banger that you know you're gonna lose in than in a TL that can walk away from most of the cars the average high school kid can afford.

Hell I'm 33 and the temptation to floor it at every stoplight is still there. Imagine how tempting that'd be to a high school kid.
Old 04-09-2010 | 12:17 AM
One on the right for me

Old 04-09-2010 | 12:39 AM
Advanced

Don't worry I am. I had a kid in HS whose parents were literally billionaires. He rotated between a 745, Cayenne, and a S500.

Originally Posted by shadowkahn
And that makes all the difference. It's a lot harder to lose traction in a corner and crash into a tree in a car that isn't very powerful than in a front-drive car with 250 horses under the hood. It's a lot less tempting to get into a stoplight drag race in a 4 banger that you know you're gonna lose in than in a TL that can walk away from most of the cars the average high school kid can afford.

Hell I'm 33 and the temptation to floor it at every stoplight is still there. Imagine how tempting that'd be to a high school kid.
Not to sound sexist, but I have yet to see a single teenage/college girl decide to floor it at a stop light. Personally, I'm a 21 male and I have no desire to floor it at all, nor did I have that desire when I was 16. It really depends on the kid, and I think teenagers are perfectly capable of handling a TL. If he/she is a reckless driver, it'll happen in a TL or a 4 banger.
Old 04-09-2010 | 05:37 AM
7th Gear

I teach school in MS

We're very careful w/our $ and try to buy things that may cost a little more in the short term but last longer and provide value.
Old 04-09-2010 | 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ANC297
Plenty...I however am proud to say that at 16, I paid EVERY cent for my car....$8800 out the door, and 250 a month for insurance, and all of my gas costs, oil, maintenance, etc.
At school, their are kids driving new s5's, bmws, benzs, g8's, chargers, etc...Brand new...
No offense to anybody on here, op included, but as a 17 year old, I think that responsibility and self support is more important to learn than just getting a new car from your parents.
So just because I drive a 30 thousand dollar car at 18 makes me irresponsibile? I maintain my car, truck and my dads vehicle, so I dont see it... some kids are yes, but not all.
Old 04-09-2010 | 07:20 AM
Drifting

Don't worry I am. I had a kid in HS whose parents were literally billionaires. He rotated between a 745, Cayenne, and a S500.
I have also experienced this. A kid in my school got a new 2010 Rangerover Sport, and he wanted the Sport Supercharger, so HE FUCKING WRECKED IT ON PURPOSE! And you know what his dumbass parents did? Buy him another one, this time Supercharged one. It was ridiculous. Also there are kids who walk around with new 328i's and one girl received a MB SL550...that is insane. So you guys complaining, saying the TL is too good for a first driver, come see my parking lot. I will say maybe 35% of the kids in my school got USED cars. Then again, there are some kids who would honestly trade their brand new Bimmers for my TL...
Old 04-09-2010 | 07:34 AM
Advanced

I would have been lucky to have my parents get me a car like this when I was that young. I say do what you feel is right to protect your kids and your finances at the same time.

Side note: I am very impressed with the maturity I've seen thus far on this forum with younger people and an expensive car. Coming from the Evo world for the last 6 years...it's a refreshing change
Old 04-09-2010 | 08:37 AM
2007 TL

I see both sides of the safety vs buying a underpowered car. My first car was a 94 ranger with like 80 HP. Thing was slow. I still found ways to do stupid stuff in it though. Also it being so old it caused me problems. I think for a new teen driver it would be better to get a civic, fit, or something like that.
Old 04-09-2010 | 08:49 AM
Instructor

Not to sound sexist, but I have yet to see a single teenage/college girl decide to floor it at a stop light. Personally, I'm a 21 male and I have no desire to floor it at all, nor did I have that desire when I was 16. It really depends on the kid, and I think teenagers are perfectly capable of handling a TL. If he/she is a reckless driver, it'll happen in a TL or a 4 banger.
^ This is true.

My first car was a Buick century, thing was a tank and cost $2000 with like 20k miles. Of course I wrecked it, punched a hole in the tranny after a year. A car can be cheap and safe at the same time, I would never buy a teenager a $30k car, but to each his own

Last edited by Jared234; 04-09-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2010 | 09:05 AM
Banned

Contemplating buying my teen daughter an 05-07 TL or 05/06 RL.

Safety then reliability is by far the most important things. We're considering all certified, except for the 07 (simply can't afford). These are all TL's.

Are there any reliability issues that cropped up on any of these TL's.

Anyone who can tell me about their exp w/an early RL and will it be (SIGNIFICANTLY) less reliable than TL's

Thanx in advance
Tacoman
07-08 are night and day different from 04-06. Many many changes/improvements. 04-05 had tranny problems. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2010 | 02:50 PM
One on the right for me

What the hell used 05-07 TL still commands 30k? Some of you need to get over yourselves
Old 04-09-2010 | 03:08 PM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
I have also experienced this. A kid in my school got a new 2010 Rangerover Sport, and he wanted the Sport Supercharger, so HE FUCKING WRECKED IT ON PURPOSE! And you know what his dumbass parents did? Buy him another one, this time Supercharged one. It was ridiculous. Also there are kids who walk around with new 328i's and one girl received a MB SL550...that is insane. So you guys complaining, saying the TL is too good for a first driver, come see my parking lot. I will say maybe 35% of the kids in my school got USED cars. Then again, there are some kids who would honestly trade their brand new Bimmers for my TL...

I think it's just because I live in a cornfield almost, but at my high school its mostly retarded old beat up trucks that are lifted, etc. Nicest cars in my HS parking lot are my TL, an Audi A6, a few Hummers, and maybe two or three BMWs. And mostly a lot of new cheap cars. By no means is the area I live in "poor" either. Funny how different areas of the country have different mindsets.
Old 04-09-2010 | 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

SAVE THE BUCKS!

Put her in a TSX, and send her to driving school (MidOhio, etc)

Both are too much for a teenager!

You might save her life
Old 04-09-2010 | 04:39 PM
7th Gear

Game, Set, and Match

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos...sterSCOREr.pdf
Old 04-09-2010 | 04:43 PM
7th Gear

Wow!

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
SAVE THE BUCKS!

Put her in a TSX, and send her to driving school (MidOhio, etc)

Both are too much for a teenager!

You might save her life
We're driving up to Columbus this summer for the Street Safe Driving School put on by BMW.

I'd put her in the TSX if it were safer than the TL, but IIHS and other organizations say otherwise.
http://www.informedforlife.org/demos...sterSCOREr.pdf

She's gonna have to be able to handle a car before we let her out on her own, that's why the driving school. Still, there are way too many fools on the road w/a cell phone texting........... LOL,Imjstdrvng
Old 04-09-2010 | 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I wish my dad liked me
Old 04-09-2010 | 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cjTL

I think it's just because I live in a cornfield almost, but at my high school its mostly retarded old beat up trucks that are lifted, etc. Nicest cars in my HS parking lot are my TL, an Audi A6, a few Hummers, and maybe two or three BMWs. And mostly a lot of new cheap cars. By no means is the area I live in "poor" either. Funny how different areas of the country have different mindsets.
Same, the nicest things at my school are my TL, a 2010 Camaro SS/RS (OMG lol), and my buddys Charger and Z06, mostly all beaters and lifted red neck trucks.
Old 04-09-2010 | 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subinf
What the hell used 05-07 TL still commands 30k? Some of you need to get over yourselves
My 06 was 24, and was near 30 new, thats what im referring to, NEW. I hate how as soon as people see an 18 year old driving my car they give me looks. Its just unfair to assume im an asshole with it.

Quick Reply: Newby, please be gentle