Sponsored by:

New Type-S Owner... Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
New Type-S Owner... Questions

New owner of a 2007 Black/Black Type-S and a few questions for the forum:

- Previous owner had 5% tint (bad news in OH) and had it all removed before I bought except for the rear window (something about defrost/antenna lines being at risk)... looks ok because the car is all black anyway but is this ever done? Just a typical family guy so I'm not going to re-tint but I'll leave the back alone if there's no unwritten rule against something like that.

- Rear section of driver seat was removed to repair seat heating element but the dealer didn't put back on all the way... any trick to getting the bottom clips to pop back on to the seat frame? A little force didn't help so I figured I'd ask before I broke something.

Anything else to watch on this car for issues? Mine has 43k and will need new tires (I saw many recommending Conti's for the snow) and front brakes. With all the electronic gadgets how does the battery hold up?

DS
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
For the seat back issue check here first: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/front-seat-back-clips-augh-623927/

Then check the TSB page for TSB 08-008 (follow the instructions at the top of the post to access the TSB's): https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623927

Battery is sketchy. It'll probably give you problems sooner or later.

Check the Tire & Suspension sub-forum regards tires. If I had a nickle for every "What Tire Should I Buy" thread, I'd be able to buy everyone on AcuraZine an A-Spec kit.

Rattles. Most have fixes. Get familiar with the 3G Garage: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/
Old 04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Battery was the first thing I had to replace. Interstate Mega-tron 800cca. If it's a manual switch out the trans fluid to the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified. It seems that every 6mt eventually develops third gear problems and this is the easy fix. I'd do it right away to prevent whatever wear actually causes it to appear in the first place. I had the Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my Maxima and they were awesome in the snow. Still no where near as good as a dedicated snow tire but amazing for an all-season. Rode real smooth too, at least compared to my Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. As far as your tint, any darkness can be used on the back window and back side windows in Ohio so you're fine, you can go as dark as 50% on the front sides. If it were me I'd go for 5% again on the back sides. Leather isn't the biggest fan of high temps and UV rays so I went as dark as the law allowed. It's amazing how much cooler the car stays. Still hot but not nearly as bad. Sorry, I can't help on the seat back question. I think there's a shop manual posted somewhere on the forum that could help. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ds03
New owner of a 2007 Black/Black Type-S and a few questions for the forum:

- Previous owner had 5% tint (bad news in OH) and had it all removed before I bought except for the rear window (something about defrost/antenna lines being at risk)... looks ok because the car is all black anyway but is this ever done? Just a typical family guy so I'm not going to re-tint but I'll leave the back alone if there's no unwritten rule against something like that.

- Rear section of driver seat was removed to repair seat heating element but the dealer didn't put back on all the way... any trick to getting the bottom clips to pop back on to the seat frame? A little force didn't help so I figured I'd ask before I broke something.

Anything else to watch on this car for issues? Mine has 43k and will need new tires (I saw many recommending Conti's for the snow) and front brakes. With all the electronic gadgets how does the battery hold up?

DS
The plastic pieces are easy to break. The dealer broke both of the plastic cover that goes over the end seat rails and the plastic piece that has the seat control when they replace my seat motor. Clean my car a month later to find out the mess. Went straight to the service manager right after I found out boyy... was I pissed off. Maybe you're in the same boat.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Congrats and welcome to AZ Check out the 3G garage for tons of info. Also register your TL at www.myacura.com in the USA or https://www.myacura.acura.ca/myAcura...ToLoginPage.do in Canada. Save your Navi and Radio codes there.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks. The TSB for the seat was great... I should be able to knock that out one evening soon. I'll worry about tires after summer is over... no need to rush that! Still deciding about the tint... I'm really not a fan but I do see the benefits keeping the interior cooler.

DS