New TL Type S trying to start off

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013 | 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

New TL Type S trying to start off

I just joined this forum because I recently got a 2008 TL Type S. However, I am already interested in upgrading it. What is a good place to start as far as performance? Cold air intake seems to be the most popular.... What are the disadvantages, and what brands are the best? All opinions are welcome, thanks! I would post a picture but unfortunately I haven't figured out exactly how to do that
Old 10-30-2013 | 11:30 PM

Welcome!

Since you're new to the platform, take a look at the topics discussed in the 3G Garage. The moderators have been building that collection of information since the 3G TL was announced and there's a wealth of knowledge. It's almost certain that any question you have, has been previously been discussed and answered.

As for the best bang for your buck performance upgrade, look into a j-pipe. Multiple vendors produce/sell them and they provide nice horsepower and torque gains.

For posting pictures, upload them to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket, then copy and paste the IMG codes here
The following users liked this post:
nttstt444 (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013 | 11:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Welcome!

Since you're new to the platform, take a look at the topics discussed in the 3G Garage. The moderators have been building that collection of information since the 3G TL was announced and there's a wealth of knowledge. It's almost certain that any question you have, has been previously been discussed and answered.

As for the best bang for your buck performance upgrade, look into a j-pipe. Multiple vendors produce/sell them and they provide nice horsepower and torque gains.

For posting pictures, upload them to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket, then copy and paste the IMG codes here
J pipes are for exhaust correct? I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly it is that they do

[/URL][/IMG]
Here is a photo by the way

Oops.... any way to delete a comment?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-31-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-31-2013 | 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by baylifemichael
J pipes are for exhaust correct? I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly it is that they do
The 3G Garage will clear up any confusion

But in short, yes, the j-pipe is part of the exhaust system.
Old 10-31-2013 | 08:44 AM

there's three parts to the exhaust system.

the catalytic converters coming off the heads.

the jpipe

and the catback.

Here is a quick RV6 crash course, this is rough draft that will eventually be added to the webpage. You can get more details on the rv6 website www.rv6-p.com

The order of exhaust components.
Heads (engine) > precats > Jpipe > 3rd cat > exhaust

Jpipe+3rd cat delete

The RV6 V3 jpipe is our latest design and has the best gains due to its 2.25" long runner design. It replaces both the factory jpipe and 3rd cat in one piece. No check engine lights are triggered since there are no sensors on the 3rd cat. It is recommended that you get the jpipe before PCDs or HFPCs.

Pros:
Good mid and high range gains
Replaces factory jpipe and 3rd cat in open piece
Bolts up no modifications needed
No obvious place for a 3rd cat.

Cons:

May not pass visual inspection in some states.

Precats
There are current 2 RV6 options for a precat replacement. These options are effective because Honda used a very restrictive precat design. They are made with stamped sheet metal to reduce cost and have a small 1.75" out.
Precat deletes or PCDs replace the factory precats with a straight pipe using smooth flowing castings a 2.25” outlet. Precat deletes include special adapters for the O2 sensors and do not throw a check engine light.

Pros:
Maximum performance gains
Low cost compared HFPCs

Cons:
Raspy exhaust
Exhaust smell
May not pass visual inspection
Requires an extra resonator for rasp free operation

High flow precats or HFPCs replaces the factory precats with high flow catalytic converters. They offer the best of compromise between performance and daily drivability. They are also paired with our smooth flowing castings 2.25” castings.

Pros:
No rasp
No exhaust smell
May pass visual inspection

Cons:
More expensive then PCDs
Slightly less power gains compared to PCDs

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-31-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-31-2013 | 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Welcome Michael and congrats on your new ride!

There's a lengthy list of mods in my signature. Let me know if you'd like to know more about any of them or visit My Garage for pictures.

Be sure to join our Type S Social Group from the link below my signature.
Old 11-02-2013 | 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Michael, welcome to AZ. Check out the 3G garage for tons of info We also have a performance section for 3G TL's. Some good reading there.
Old 11-03-2013 | 03:50 PM
9th Gear

Beautiful looking TL you have. I am trying to find one myself, and hope to be a TL owner soon
The following users liked this post:
baylifemichael (11-13-2013)