Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TL owner ! Intro

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:11 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL owner ! Intro

So I've always been a fan on the 3G TL's but could never find the right one to buy. I finally found one that caught my eye and I decided to pull the trigger.

Quick intro: Got my license in 2011 as a junior in high school. Just recently turned 21 so I'd say I'm probably one of the younger guys on here.
2000 Lexus GS300: Hand me down. I drove it for 6 months and it felt like a tank so I sold it

1999 Honda Prelude: First manual car with an aftermarket stage 3 clutch I had to learn in. Drove it for 4 months and ended up snapping the T-belt. Bought a new/used motor and installed it. Had a full sound system, full cat-back exhaust system, lowered on springs (don't remember brand), and a new set of Enkei's (again don't remember model). Drove it for another 2 months and traded it in. Really lost my ass on this car.

2010 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport:I'm sure most of you are wondering how I afforded this at such a young stage. Honestly my parents hated my Prelude and told me if I found something they agreed on, they would help me out a bit. Well I found this and parents ended up helping out with the down payment as long as I could keep up with monthly payments. I left this car stock besides window tint ( which I don't really count as a mod). I drove it for about a year and decided I wanted another manual vehicle. My sister was also getting her license soon so here was my chance to get rid of high payments and get something a little cheaper as it was not giving much money left over. I searched and searched and finally found my next car.

2002 Lexus IS300 5 speed: I found this car and hopped on it as quick as I could. I drove 2 hours to get it and had the biggest smile driving it back home. Pretty much a non turbo supra sedan . It wasn't completely stock when I got it, but it had hella low miles. I bought it in April 2014 with only 49k. Previous owner had it lowered on HKS coils, P2 Rota's that were curbed so many times I gave up trying to count the spots, Greddy Evo2 exhaust straight piped, short shifter (unknown brand), and a couple other small things. From what the previous owner told me, it used to be a show car and was completely stripped at one point. He was in the middle of putting the car completely back together, but didn't have time and was moving out of state. I bought the car for a steal ( I thought at the time). This car ended up giving me problems I don't even want to get started about (and the mod bug hit me hard with this car).

May 2015: I ended up buying a motorcycle after getting my motorcycle license. I decided to pick up a 2004 Yamaha R6 I found for a pretty good price. (Only been a little over a year and I'm wanting to upgrade again)

Feb 2016: Long story short ~$8k(without paying price included) and 1.5 years later with the IS, I couldn't deal with this car anymore and decided to start looking for something else.

2006 Acura TL 6MT: I found this car online and saw it looked perfect in the pictures with the color combo I've always wanted. As soon as I saw it I wanted to get it. I ended up driving 3.5 hours to Cincinnati, OH, to look at this car and saw that it wasn't exactly perfect. More dings and dents than I wanted it to have. Left front fender is going to need replaced since they had a dent removal guy try and he hit it out too far. Now it looks like a small section of the front fender has hail damage. Went inside talked numbers blah, blah,blah.. 3 hours later I was driving the car home.

The next day I dropped my car off to get tint done (I know I said earlier this isn't a mod, but I still think it is worth mentioning). I had 15% done all around and was supposed to have 40% done on the whole windshield. Turns out I have a small crack in my windshield so they won't tint it. .

Couple days later I swapped my old wheels I had on the IS to the TL and debadged the rear. I like the clean simple look with just the Acura emblem.

Was online shopping one night and accidentally pulled the trigger on a Tanabe Medallion exhaust system. I love the way it look but personally I think the exhaust is a bit too quiet. Been thinking about getting a J-pipe, but I wanna get the 105k service out of the way before any more mods.

Future mods probably Type S tails, coils, intake, black housing head lights, black out the front frill, trans flush (3rd gear has grinded a couple times), and couple other misc parts.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I might as well introduce myself. Like said, a post like this is useless without pics.
Attached Thumbnails New TL owner ! Intro-img_1960.jpg   New TL owner ! Intro-img_1915.jpg   New TL owner ! Intro-img_2483.jpg   New TL owner ! Intro-img_2517.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Congratulations on the TL!!!

I've never messed with schists before so I can't really help you there...

At first, I thought you got the TL EricTheCarGuy just uploaded the engine swap on in Cincinnati, OH...

That thing was beat, but it was a gray 2004 6-speed...

Which one has been your favorite?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-09-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 PM
OsK
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts
Welcome!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM
10th Gear

Congrats on the TL!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome man!

Im new here too....got my 3rd TL recently a 2007 and back in the mix after being a lurker forever.

Check out the 3G garage..lots of great threads about our cars...really helpful stuff.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
welcome! for 6mt, i'd recommend doing the gm friction modified synchromesh fluid switch ASAP. that will alleviate and possibly solve your 3rd gear issues. it's seriously a magic potion in a bottle. i wouldn't even wait for the next flush do it right away.

also look into short shifter, shifter bushings, free check valve delete, and a heavier shift knob to improve the shifting experience.

lastly get the side aspec kit if you can, you already have the front and rear but you are missing the side and that would complete the kit. it's almost completely sold out so i would get on that asap as well. to anyone that closely knows the TL, a missing side piece is very noticeable if the rest of the kit is there.

good job focusing on the 105k service before the jpipe. maintenance!

the car has been around for 10+ years so everything has been discussed, you just need to search for it. always use google plus "site:acurazine.com" to narrow results
Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Congratulations on the TL!!!

I've never messed with schists before so I can't really help you there...

At first, I thought you got the TL EricTheCarGuy just uploaded the engine swap on in Cincinnati, OH...

That thing was beat, but it was a gray 2004 6-speed...

Which one has been your favorite?
Honestly I really miss the prelude.. Still kinda wish I had it

Originally Posted by sockr1
welcome! for 6mt, i'd recommend doing the gm friction modified synchromesh fluid switch ASAP. that will alleviate and possibly solve your 3rd gear issues. it's seriously a magic potion in a bottle. i wouldn't even wait for the next flush do it right away.

also look into short shifter, shifter bushings, free check valve delete, and a heavier shift knob to improve the shifting experience.

lastly get the side aspec kit if you can, you already have the front and rear but you are missing the side and that would complete the kit. it's almost completely sold out so i would get on that asap as well. to anyone that closely knows the TL, a missing side piece is very noticeable if the rest of the kit is there.

good job focusing on the 105k service before the jpipe. maintenance!

the car has been around for 10+ years so everything has been discussed, you just need to search for it. always use google plus "site:acurazine.com" to narrow results
Thanks for the advice and info.. I was wondering if I was missing the side skirt or not. But yeah before any more mods, I need to do my 105k service. Serp belt is starting to squeak. Only at 97k but rather get it out of the way than wait around and have it snap

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-09-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand side of each post.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Congrats on your new ride.....and welcome.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! You made a great decision.