Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tire & steeting wheel fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tire & steeting wheel fluid

i just got my TL servied for 30K miles & the dealer told me I need two new tires & power steering fluid replaced. cost 600/- for two tires & 139/- for steering fluid.

any of you guys can shed some light on where i can get the best & cheapest bridgestone tires & where i can get the power steering fluid replaced and typically how much

thanks guys.

by the way i got my 30K miles service from dch montclair dealy & he charged me 259/- others were quoting above 459/- just to let u new jersey drivers know
Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 PM
East Coast Crew

Try tirerack.com for the tires and I don't think you really need to replace the power steering fluid....but don't quote me on that.

I go to DCH Montclair a lot for my services. They are great.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Advanced

What service or repairs were done at 30,000 miles? I have 32,000 and MID states I will be needing to perform an A1 Service.

At 30,000 miles did you experience any changes in the cars performance, such as braking system or steering system?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sara
i just got my TL servied for 30K miles & the dealer told me I need two new tires & power steering fluid replaced. cost 600/- for two tires & 139/- for steering fluid.

any of you guys can shed some light on where i can get the best & cheapest bridgestone tires & where i can get the power steering fluid replaced and typically how much

thanks guys.

by the way i got my 30K miles service from dch montclair dealy & he charged me 259/- others were quoting above 459/- just to let u new jersey drivers know

Well,
you basically paid $259 for an oil change and tire rotation. $739 for two tires and the PS fluid!!!!?? Pure FRAUD!! Subtract about $350-$400 and it would be more realistic..
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts

Don't bother with flushing or doing anything to the power steering fluid unless there is a problem with the pump. If your car's steering fluid is low, just add fluid. Cost: $0-$3.

2 new tires: try Costco - the most expensive (Michelins) are about $230 each, but there are a few cheaper tires. IDK if Bridgestones in the TL sizes are available at Costco presently (check costco.com).

Otherwise, peruse tirerack.com and check the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions (rather than the stock Turanzas). Many tire stores (Discount Tire, America's Tire) will match or come close to the Tire Rack price. The tires should be less than $400 total, including installation and balancing.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
They're trying to make more money off of you. I would rather stay away from the dealer for things besides service. When they sell you stuff it's usually priced higher than it should be.

As Will stated, the power steering fluid never needs to be changed. It doesn't matter how old your car is. The only reason it would need to ever be changed is if their is a problem with the power steering pump. You shouldn't even need to add any either. If you do then you have a leak somewhere.

That price is a rip for tires. Costco is really cheap, and check prices on tirerack.com too. I'm not sure of the place but my dad got 4 new Hankooks balanced, mounted and they come with road hazard insurance so if he gets a flat, he'll get a new tire balanced and mounted for free. Price: $400. Every single person that has ridden in his car, him and I both included, have noticed that the ride is much better, and the tires make much less noise.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

at 30k miles they did complete B service(MID) which is mentioned in the manual. it did include braking, safety check which includes steeering, suspension etc.

at A1 - i think you only need oil change & tire rotation which can be done by anyone at much cheaper price.

Originally Posted by SSM-TL
What service or repairs were done at 30,000 miles? I have 32,000 and MID states I will be needing to perform an A1 Service.

At 30,000 miles did you experience any changes in the cars performance, such as braking system or steering system?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

hello!

i checked costco & they carry only michelin & BF goodrich so no luck there with bridgestone.
i checked tirerack & they quote 175/+ shipping app 7-8/- per tire. According to their website i hv to go to another person for installtion which is app 20/- per tire. this rough makes it 205 per tire.

do anyone know if tirerack only ships & have no stores like any brick & motor

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Don't bother with flushing or doing anything to the power steering fluid unless there is a problem with the pump. If your car's steering fluid is low, just add fluid. Cost: $0-$3.

2 new tires: try Costco - the most expensive (Michelins) are about $230 each, but there are a few cheaper tires. IDK if Bridgestones in the TL sizes are available at Costco presently (check costco.com).

Otherwise, peruse tirerack.com and check the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions (rather than the stock Turanzas). Many tire stores (Discount Tire, America's Tire) will match or come close to the Tire Rack price. The tires should be less than $400 total, including installation and balancing.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
... do anyone know if tirerack only ships & have no stores like any brick & motor
Correct- you need to get Tire Rack to send the tires to a shop that can install, or buy full wheel/tire sets.

That's why you should contact a local tire shop or two, after getting the Tire Rack price: some of the local shops will match or come close to the Tire Rack price, and you won't have to pay shipping, wait, etc. IIRC, Discount Tire is also used often to install tires for Tire Rack, and some AZers have gotten price matches from it. When you get a price quote, make sure that disposal fees, balancing, stem charges, taxes, etc. are all in it to avoid any surprises.

Oh, and worse comes to worse, you can get the Michelin Pilot A/S tires from Costco (the Michelin MXM4s are stock on the Navi TLs, but are more expensive and probably not as sticky as the Pilot A/S).
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
sara- call up your local Honda dealer and ask them how much they want for the power steering fluid change.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Racer

I can't speak for the Power Steering, but I just got a new tire for my TL-S. I picked up a nail and it was too big to patch.

Rallye Acura charged $279 for the tire plus labor and tax. Total came to around $350. I initially thought this was very high, but I looked on-line (Mavis Tire) when I got home and the tire was selling for $252 plus installation.

I feel pretty good about the dealer now. They weren't the cheapest, but they weren't out of line either.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI - Honda uses a different power steering fluid than every other manufacturer, be sure not to use the standard DOT 3 fluid...make sure it is Honda branded or made for hondas