Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New StopTech rotors shaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New StopTech rotors shaking

Recently had a friend install new front and rear StopTech slotted rotors (non cryo-genic treated), as well as new front and rear EBC redstuff pads and the brakes shake like when rotors are warped. Wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this?

07' Acura TL Type-S (Brembo front brakes)
H&R wheel spacers
About 1200 miles on brakes

He didn't clean the rotors when installing, but he doesn't think that would cause a problem. I was going to do the recommended bed-in process but haven't done it since the brakes have not seemed right.

Rotors:
StopTech Slotted Brake Rotors Regular or Cryo FREE SHIPPING!
Old 09-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,184 Likes on 891 Posts
Rotors are covered in oil when they're shipped. He didn't clean that off??

Were the previous brakes shaking? Did the new brakes shake right away? Or did they just now start shaking.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
See if you can isolate where or which side it's coming from and re-check the install. I installed new rotors last week for the first time ever and had no issues.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Pad material has built up on rotor surface.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
Rotors are covered in oil when they're shipped. He didn't clean that off??
No. Could this create hotspots, or another issue that could cause the brakes to shake now? If so, is it likely or unlikely?

Were the previous brakes shaking? Did the new brakes shake right away? Or did they just now start shaking.
The previous brakes shook a little bit. They were the stock brembo rotors and pads to my knowledge. The pads were worn all the way down, and not sure how old the rotors were. The new brakes shake more though. I don't really remember the new brakes shaking much the first couple hundred miles.

Originally Posted by treal512
See if you can isolate where or which side it's coming from and re-check the install. I installed new rotors last week for the first time ever and had no issues.
Any tips on trying to isolate? With your new rotors do they shake AT ALL, or can you brake hard on say the highway and not feel any shaking?

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Pad material has built up on rotor surface.
Which is doing what? Not sure what you're suggesting.

Thanks for the replies
Old 09-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

Your friend really should have cleaned the rotors, and you really should have performed the correct break in on the pads.

These proceses can make or break whether you get brake pulsation.

Brake pulsation most commonly happens because the pad over heats and smears the rotor with uneven amounts of pad material.

But sometimes, the caliper alignment or other mechanical failure can cause this.

Did you torque the lug nuts properly? Are the wheel spacers torqued (if they have their own nuts)?

You have a lot going on.
-Your friend did not clean the rotors (what kind of friend is this?!!). Are you sure he installed the rest of the parts properly?
-You didn't read/follow the pad instructions.
-You have wheel spacers.

You don't need special rotors to avoid pulsation. And no...the car's brakes aren't designed to pulsate. Something is wrong with your installation, procedure, or related parts.

Or maybe some other unrelated part is failing. A wheel bearing, ball joint, etc.

We can't do this over the internet. You should have it inspected.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
The first thing to do before you take anything apart would be to do a proper bed-in , since unless there truly as an install error, you're most likely feeling pad deposits on the rotors like Turbonut had mentioned.

If you're constantly easy on the brakes and you don't generate enough heat to "burn" off the previous deposits from the pad, then the new deposits build on top over time as you use the brakes, and eventually you can feel it in the pedal.

You can StopTech's bed-in procedure here: Stock Brake System Bed-in

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Get some cheap metallic pads, do an install and see if they clean the pad material from the rotors.
Should see results in only a few days.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
do a proper bed in and you won't have any issues.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
before you do any of the above, do this...
Un-mount the tires remove the spacers and then mount the tires back on and check under same conditions....Spacers can cause all kind of issues...that would be your first step.........

Then do all of the above....

Sandan
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
bedding in pads is my favorite part!!!
when has test driving ever been so fun!? 60mph to 10mph! almost like a roller-coaster!! put a penny on your dash and see where it ends up! lol
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
side note; always have to buckle in my groceries in the front seat. Just in case, emergency manuver is warranted and sodas end up on floor board
Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcivicsi
Any tips on trying to isolate? With your new rotors do they shake AT ALL, or can you brake hard on say the highway and not feel any shaking?
No, sorry, no tips on isolating the problem other than maybe driving by walls (sound echo) or going to areas where you can hear well with the windows down, etc. to duplicate the symptoms. Just takes some exploring and re-checking on the work done that caused a change in your car. My brakes have no issues and I'll be doing a proper bed-in process soon.

Originally Posted by Sandan
before you do any of the above, do this...
Un-mount the tires remove the spacers and then mount the tires back on and check under same conditions....Spacers can cause all kind of issues...that would be your first step.........

Then do all of the above....

Sandan
Could be, but just as an example my new rotors/pads were installed along with a re-installation of the spacers with no problems. Could be worth the shot if you don't feel you 100% properly installed the spacers though- and if they're not hubcentric.

Originally Posted by justnspace
bedding in pads is my favorite part!!!
when has test driving ever been so fun!? 60mph to 10mph! almost like a roller-coaster!! put a penny on your dash and see where it ends up! lol
LOL
Old 09-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
I've never come across rotors that came covered in oil. You do need to bed in the new pads though.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LeVeL
I've never come across rotors that came covered in oil. You do need to bed in the new pads though.

All iron rotors are bagged covered in some sort of anti-rust solution. It a slippery/waxy/oily substance. Its not water soluble...because that defeats the purpose. So, "oil".
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
All the rotors I've had have been covered in a bag and some residue as well. I've always used brake cleaner on the entire rotor prior to installation