3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New roof rack thread, what are people's experiences with a bolt-on solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New roof rack thread, what are people's experiences with a bolt-on solution?

Hey all,
I'm thinking about getting a TL, and one of my big hang-ups is how to put bikes on top. (I know I want a roof rack for my next car, no trunk or trailer hitch.) From searching this forum it's clear that Acura gave no consideration to this problem, and the off-the-shelf kits from Yakima and Thule clamp on with universal brackets that hook underneath the roof frame where the door closes. Fugly and not acceptable as a permanent solution on a nice car. Especially if the car is white.

For anyone who has tried a bolt-on rack foot, how has that worked over the long term? I'm talking about something like this, http://rackattackboston.wordpress.co...k14-430r-rb43/
where the bracket actually bolts to the sheet metal with an expansion nut. It seems like after a few years of driving around with bikes on top, the sheet metal might pull up. So I thought I'd check in, now that the roof rack threads are aging, and see how people's racks are working out for them.

Also, has anyone gone the distance and pulled out the headliner and actually found a solid anchor point under there? It's the kind of thing I'm willing to do if I know it will work.

Dan
Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not bolt a permanent use rack on a TL. I did however mount a Thule roof rack with correct fitment kit onto mine for carrying a cargo box or bikes.

It was difficult to say the least, trying to get them mounted the first time and took me 6 hours of trying and retrying

Once it was installed (with the extension mount) I was able to take it off again with no troubles and can put it back on in a matter of minutes now.

Once I had it on the first time for 2 weeks. When I took it off I saw dents in my roof where it clamped on and pressed into thte roof. From a distance it's not noticable, but up close it bothered me. I'm into it now so no matter

There is a reduction in mileage when the rack is mounted. Moreso at higher speeds. Around town I don't think I could tell any difference, but on the highway the mileage came down about 2 mpg.

IIRC the mount I used was 400XT with 50" crossbars.

I purchased my rack used off of Craigslist for a little less than new and it was unused. I then purchased the extension bracket that allows you to separate the bars to 26" for more stable support for my cargo box.

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by SmileyOr; 08-10-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow, so you are willing to drill holes through your roof for a rack! thats crazy haha.. but if you are going to use it ALL the time I guess its a good idea.

I have a Yakima roof rack with the universal foot pads and correct brackets. I love my roof rack, no dents or scratches here. I did not listen to Yakimas directions as far as where to mount my racks and mounted it more forward towards the windshield so that my sunroof would not be obstructed. Works great.

Transported my 2 bikes 3 hours and no problems! And I think that the bolted on version you are looking into look almost the same as the universal non bolt ones. At least with the universal ones you can take them off when you dont need it. I remove mine in 15 minutes and can put them back on in 20 minutes.

Here is a pick of the Yakimarack with 2 steelhead fork mount bike racks on my car..

And a pic with the bikes off:

IMO the bolted one looks out of place.. looks to narrow for our car. Here is a pick from your link.. the fairing is to small! :