Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Race w/ Money Sucker "MB E55 AMG"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrari527
its rediculous to say, "80k is waste of money for car even if you are puffy daddy." its all relative. an e55 to puff daddy is .000001% of his net worth, while an acura TL to you might be 10%, which is the greater waste of money.
No it's not ridiculous to say that. It's not relative. 80K is wasted on a car, period. It a waste no matter how you slice it. Some people are just willing to waste that much money for a material object.

I'm not trying to preach it, just stating my opinion. I have plenty of friends who waste their money on cars, clothes, watches, etc. I still love them. I believe it's actually a fact that it's a waste of money, but people just refuse to admit it. Just because I have alot of money doesn't mean that I have to spend more than I need to.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

apwalsh,

you're wrong in your argument. Somehow you think a TL is not a total waste because you can transport 4 other people, but an 80k car is because you can still only transport 4 people.

I think everyone agrees you don't "need" an 80k car, and in that sense it is a waste of money. But you don't need a TL either so its also a waste of money. A base model Accord dx costs about 13k, and you can fit all the same number of people. So if that Accord Dx is your minimum essential car needs, then by buying a TL, you've "wasted" 18k (and thats being conservative since u can get reliable 5 passenger used cars much cheapers).

Its completely relative If you're income was 30k a year, buying a TL would be a ridiculous mismanagement of money since it would cut into your other other essential life needs. If you're income is 1 million, then buying an 80k (although not necessary) wouldn't be a mismanagement of money since its not cutting into your current or future essential needs.

Because you have a certain wealth level, you don't see a problem with owning a TL. If you had a lower wealth level, you would see it being an issue. If you had a higher wealth level, you wouldn't see an 80k car being an issue.

Now does this mean that millionaires always buy expensive cars. The answer to that is no, because some of them are satisfied with a 20k car and dont care for the additional handling, power, luxury of higher priced cars.

Slink
Old 02-10-2005, 10:55 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by zima76
Man! The 04 MB E55 AMG is FAST! My TL kicked butt that money sucker about a quarter car length on my first and 2nd gear . But, I got my butt kicked after I shifted my gear to 3rd. But, hey, my car is 1/3 price of that E55 AMG. So, who cares, right? Anyway, i am satisfied w/ my TL!
Here is the comparison:
2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Sport
MSRP $81,520.00* (Money Sucker!)
Engine AMG-built intercooled supercharged SOHC 5.4L 24-valve V-8 engine.
Net Power 469 hp @ 6,100 rpm
Net Torque 516 lb-ft. @ 2,650 - 4,500 rpm

2004 Acura TL
MSRP $35,650.00
Aluminum Alloy 3.2-liter, 24-Valve, SOHC VTEC™V-6
Horsepower: 270 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque: 238 lbs-ft @ 5000 rpm
That guy was just playing wit you. 4.4 seconds zero to 60. Worth the $'s...(if you have em)
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by apwalsh
$80K on a vehicle is a waste of money and a very unnecessary expenditure. I don't care if you are Puff Daddy or Vince Neil or some shit.

Keep lurking
Reach in your pocket. Do you have a $5 bill in there? Would you think twice about using it to buy yourself lunch? No, why not? You realize that $5 would buy a LOT of food for someone in the third wolrd, right? You know one of those guys that makes $20 a month would think that $5 is a LOT of money (to him). Same thing here. That $80K is only "pocket change" to some. As such, it's more like... Sure, I'll take three of them in differnet colors.... It's all about persepctive...Dude!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
"whoever said money is the root of all evil....doesn't have any...," Ben Affleck, "Boiler Room"
Old 02-10-2005, 11:23 PM
5th Gear

now why the hell would you race a e55 amg with tl. shit it don't matter you got 6 speed that thing runs mid 13's all day from the factory. it ain't the greatest looking car but it's an awesome sedan. also look out for CLS series. i thought CLS is one of the most gorgeous looking sedan. it's combonation of both CL class and S class. so it's size of s series and got 4 doors but it only seats 4 people. center console is stretched all the way back so there is no middle seat. but fuck i like that new headlight. but tail look like ford taurus.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Slinks
apwalsh,

you're wrong in your argument. Somehow you think a TL is not a total waste because you can transport 4 other people, but an 80k car is because you can still only transport 4 people.

I think everyone agrees you don't "need" an 80k car, and in that sense it is a waste of money. But you don't need a TL either so its also a waste of money. A base model Accord dx costs about 13k, and you can fit all the same number of people. So if that Accord Dx is your minimum essential car needs, then by buying a TL, you've "wasted" 18k (and thats being conservative since u can get reliable 5 passenger used cars much cheapers).

Its completely relative If you're income was 30k a year, buying a TL would be a ridiculous mismanagement of money since it would cut into your other other essential life needs. If you're income is 1 million, then buying an 80k (although not necessary) wouldn't be a mismanagement of money since its not cutting into your current or future essential needs.

Because you have a certain wealth level, you don't see a problem with owning a TL. If you had a lower wealth level, you would see it being an issue. If you had a higher wealth level, you wouldn't see an 80k car being an issue.

Now does this mean that millionaires always buy expensive cars. The answer to that is no, because some of them are satisfied with a 20k car and dont care for the additional handling, power, luxury of higher priced cars.

Slink
Holy shit, please re-read my post. I did not say anything about 4 passenger car not being a waste. All I said was a Civic is not practical, so a Civic or Corolla does not apply. I already said that a 30K car is a waste of money also. I never tried to dispute that fact. I merely stated that 30K is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a car. Is it a waste? Yes.

You are also making assumptions about my wealth, which you do not know anything about. I don't see any issue with spending 80K on something that is going to increase in value, or even if it remained the same.

You are absolutely correct, I could have an Accord DX for 20K or whatever. It's not fucking wizardry, it's actually in my post that you obviously read, and didn't comprehend. My last car was a Nissan Altima. My car before & during that was a Sentra. Before that, a Honda Accord. I splurged on the TL as sort of an impulse buy. I can be driving any car I want. I choose to drive the TL.

Maybe when I'm 55, I'll change my mind. Right now, it's still a waste of money to me.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Reach in your pocket. Do you have a $5 bill in there? Would you think twice about using it to buy yourself lunch? No, why not? You realize that $5 would buy a LOT of food for someone in the third wolrd, right? You know one of those guys that makes $20 a month would think that $5 is a LOT of money (to him). Same thing here. That $80K is only "pocket change" to some. As such, it's more like... Sure, I'll take three of them in differnet colors.... It's all about persepctive...Dude!

I agree. People do have that perspective. To me 80K is 80K. Money has not changed my view on life. I live an easy, but I remember how many people are not as lucky as I am. Everyone on this board lives an easy life, come to think of it.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro

Hey lessismore, this is a direct shot out to you. Shut up. Why do you have a TL if all you are doing is stating that it is a big waste of money. At the age of 55 why don't you go buy a 55 and go have your midlife crisis. Damn. Don't bag on people who decide to spend the money the way they spend it. It is their choice. Everyone learns different ways and some just need to experience it. Go back to lurking.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

ap,

I think the basic issue is your original statement (and a few follow-ups) sounded like a general statement -- "if one spends 80k one is wasting one's money"; when actually I guess you meant "if i spent 80k it on a car i think its wasting my money". The latter is an alright statement. The former is illogical (since you would be subjectively making the cut-off line as to what waste is).

Now in this case, I agree that I also think that for myself, spending 80k on a car is a huge waste. I struggled with the idea of spending 30k on the TL since like you seem to be, I'm big on investing and was not sure if spending such money on a depreciating asset was worth while. In the end I made the decision that 30k from my perspective was worth while to spend.

Whether a civic is practical or not also comes from your perspective of money. If you're working a minimum wage job, a civic is more than practical to carry around your friends and commute. If you've got a higher standard of living, then other things become "necessities" and then a civic in your perspective because impractical.

Bottom line is people have varying amounts of current wealth & future expected earnings, and based on those expectations people buy different things -- houses, cars, clothes, food, give to charity, etc.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
ap,

I think the basic issue is your original statement (and a few follow-ups) sounded like a general statement -- "if one spends 80k one is wasting one's money"; when actually I guess you meant "if i spent 80k it on a car i think its wasting my money". The latter is an alright statement. The former is illogical (since you would be subjectively making the cut-off line as to what waste is).

Now in this case, I agree that I also think that for myself, spending 80k on a car is a huge waste. I struggled with the idea of spending 30k on the TL since like you seem to be, I'm big on investing and was not sure if spending such money on a depreciating asset was worth while. In the end I made the decision that 30k from my perspective was worth while to spend.

Whether a civic is practical or not also comes from your perspective of money. If you're working a minimum wage job, a civic is more than practical to carry around your friends and commute. If you've got a higher standard of living, then other things become "necessities" and then a civic in your perspective because impractical.

Bottom line is people have varying amounts of current wealth & future expected earnings, and based on those expectations people buy different things -- houses, cars, clothes, food, give to charity, etc.
Correct.

80K is wasted on a car, period. It a waste no matter how you slice it.
If you really want to push the justified spending envelope, the purchase of any car (read: depreciating asset) is a waste...Chevy Aveo through Ferrari Enzo.

I merely stated that 30K is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a car. Is it a waste? Yes.
...and to Bill Gates or Michael Dell, I'm certain $80k is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a sports sedan.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Pro

ap,

To tell the truth, my statements do not have anything to do with my perspective of money. I was one step away from a truck because I frequently carry alot of cargo and/or passengers.

I did not mean to make decisions for other people. 80K on a car, I know is a waste of money to me. I also think that 80K is a waste of money for anyone, and I don't expect everyone to agree, but that is my belief.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by F23A4
If you really want to push the justified spending envelope, the purchase of any car (read: depreciating asset) is a waste...Chevy Aveo through Ferrari Enzo.
I pretty much said that already. I agree with you.

Originally Posted by F23A4
...and to Bill Gates or Michael Dell, I'm certain $80k is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a sports sedan.
Just because they can buy it, doesn't mean it's not wasting money. If you throw out half a hamburger, it's no big deal because you weren't hungry anymore, and you have another $5 to buy another burger if you want. But you still wasted it. Waste is not a subjective term. Something is either wasted or it isn't. Some people don't mind wasting as much as others, and I completely understand that. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions here, just standing by mine.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as holier than thou, that is completely not my intention. I don't look down upon or judge people based on their spedning habits, and no, I don't hug tress either!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Advanced

How a person spend his/her money is his/her own business.

One can say "For me to pay $80K for a car is a waste of MY money."

It doesn't necessarily apply if one say "Spending $80K on a car is a waste of money."

But, we are in USA (well most of us), where one is entitled to his/her own opinion.

Opinion, is like (you know what), everybody has one.

Let's jusy voice our own opinion and not spend too much time on correcting others'.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
I pretty much said that already. I agree with you.

Just because they can buy it, doesn't mean it's not wasting money. If you throw out half a hamburger, it's no big deal because you weren't hungry anymore, and you have another $5 to buy another burger if you want. But you still wasted it. Waste is not a subjective term. Something is either wasted or it isn't. Some people don't mind wasting as much as others, and I completely understand that. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions here, just standing by mine.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as holier than thou, that is completely not my intention. I don't look down upon or judge people based on their spedning habits, and no, I don't hug tress either!
Dont get me wrong. If you feel it's a waste of money no matter what, so be it. I personally commend you for this statement:
To me 80K is 80K. Money has not changed my view on life. I live an easy, but I remember how many people are not as lucky as I am.
IMHO, it means that you are well grounded and I generally concur with you. In my case though, the fact that others cant afford what I can would not prevent me from buying something. I've been blessed with the ability to earn what I own and I wont apologize for it.

With regard to the $80k outlay on the E55, the Car & Driver side of me overrides the Consumer Reports side.

F23A4, who WILL have an E55 in his garage once he hits the Powerball lotto jackpot.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
let it go...

god's sake let it go.. all cars are a waste of money unless they yield a ROI. The ROI should be in the form of appreciated value and not entertainment value.. OK!!!

Some people on this forum would give thier left nut/breast for a TL... It is all personal choice on where you spent your cash. It's like saying I do not need a 3000 sq foot home just for me and my dog. It is a waste etc etc etc...

But it is how I want to waste it!!!

Anyone can convince themselves that they have the best car.. .or the best car for the money or the fastest in its class.. or more reliable.. regardless the thing will age, wear and get scratches. It is a fact of life.. I do not look at the xlr in the next lane that the guy shelled out 80K for. Admire the machine for what it is...

And do not worry abut if you change the dam oil at 3000, 3500, or 4000 miles just change the dam oil now and then and do not worry about if it is 5-30 0-30 synthetic etc. It is all oil ... keep it filled and check it now and then..

For some it is their first experience with a car that has more that 150 ponies... that's great.. just remember to know how to control then and not race the dam car against and overly matched model that can kick your ass on a lane drop with your kid in the car... You might find ourself less a kid and with handcuffs on.

We all have the greatest car on earth, a lemon, the fastest, most reliable, cheapest, and most economical... All depends on how view the car..

End of story!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Mile High

Originally Posted by ravingstylez
omg he was toying with you .... my friends arby has one htis kid is 19 and has owned an mb cl55 amg/ mb e55 amg / audi s4/ and hwen he had the e55 .. he toyed with evrything and bam it wasnt even close ... the e 55 amg is the fastest of the amg models and this is an amazing machine. but there is no way you could 0f even came close to him if you shifted on youre best day.
1st.) Learn how to type and spell correctly

2nd.) E55 is not the fastest AMG model. have you ever heard of the SL, CL 65?

and for all of you that say E55 is a waste of money. you know damn well if you had a nice bank account you would not hesitate to get a fast car for 80k. you would not be driving a TL if you had 3-10mil in the bank
Old 02-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 is def not a waste of money for the power and performance it delivers. Too young to have one now, but hopefully i will albe to own one before i get to medschool. I would convince my father to get it ,who is looking to by a nice sports car for himself. Not too expensive, and is realisticly affordable.