Sponsored by:

New owner of '05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013 | 09:16 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner of '05 TL

Hello everyone!

Just took the beauty home today. Love the NBP color. She has 138k miles on her. I am really excited and also very anxious. I got it at an affordable price (6.7k) and the previous owner already did 105k service, but it still comes with a laundry list:

1. Paint fall off on front quarter panel, small rust spot on roof.
2. Driver door hinge is acting awkward, I suspect the hinge is squeezed and making funny noise.
3. Bluetooth module is probably dead. HFL always shows booting up. No response to voice command.
4. a lot of wear on leather seating and overall interior needs complete cleanup.
5. driver seat back panel is falling off. I need to figure out how to fix the clips.
6. Windshield is cracking BIG...

Now comes the big ticket items:
1. 3rd & 4th power switch & ATF fluid change & external filter replacement.
2. Side engine mount is busted.
3. Both control arm bushings are busted.
4. It seems the resonator & mid muffler are removed according to the previous owner. For the love of god I need to put them back cause it's freakin loud and driving me insane between 2.2-3k rpm...

I live in an apartment complex that prohibits any DIY stuff on parking lot, and with limit budget. with that in mind I'll try to take my time and handle these things one by one. Right now I'm thinking:

1. switches, ATF fluid
2. Resonator
3. Windshield

Let me know if you have any advise, any comments welcomed!

P.S. I searched the forum and it seems Vibrant 1141 is pretty good for quietness. any other recommendation?

Oh and one more thing- I only have 1 key with aftermarket remote.
Oh well gotta have the switchblade key from heeltoe anyway... :p

Last edited by Steven Bell; 07-14-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 07-14-2013 | 09:23 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Sounds like you have lots to keep you busy! Welcome Lutz. Do the easiest stuff first and get that laundry list whittled down one by one. Soon you'll have a great car to enjoy.
Old 07-14-2013 | 09:41 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Marco!

It is truly a mix bag of feeling driving her home today. I just hope she will stay strong for another 100k miles to justify everything.

Oh I missed another thing: she has cracked dash borad (facepalm)

So far the easy things (may or may not costly):
1. Switches & fluid (I think it's a great peace of mind to have them replaced even though she is performing very well in this regard)
2. Resonator
3. Shiny new switchblade key to show off
4. Windshield.

Oh my wallet... I need to sell my old car first!
Old 07-14-2013 | 10:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Congrats on your new ride, lutz. Welcome to AcuraZine.
Old 07-15-2013 | 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
congrats one the new car and welcome to the site, seem like you have alot of work to do and its suck since you live in apartment complex. I would just check to see anyone local to you can do the job for cheap.
Old 07-15-2013 | 04:12 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
congrats on the new ride. i sneak all my work on weekends and after leasing office is closed at my apartment complex.
Old 07-15-2013 | 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Welcome to AZ!! Register her at www.myacura.com. Save you navi/radio codes there for safe keeping.
Old 07-16-2013 | 02:05 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Welcome to AZ!! Register her at www.myacura.com. Save you navi/radio codes there for safe keeping.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Also thank Tim @ oemacuraparts... He correct my order of 05' pressure switches. Otherwise my first service to this car would become an epic fail
Old 07-16-2013 | 08:12 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I'm not sure I would have bought that one as you have no ability to work on it yourself since you said you have a no DIY policy for your apt. complex (but it's too late for that argument now).
My advice:
-don't attempt to make it a show car (it'll cost too much and won't be worth more than it is right now)
-see if you can get the rust repair done relatively inexpensively, so it doesn't spread.
-get a dash cover immediately (roughly $40-50) and the cracked dash won't bother you as you won't see it
-do the maintenance work that's needed (ATF, switches, motor mount, and control arm bushings) to keep the car running. Get the exhaust re-installed immediately (that's a safety thing and you don't want to be pulled over often).
-see if the windshield can be fixed at least so the crack doesn't extend, otherwise, get the windshield replaced (use a non OEM one, such as Safelight glass)
-a little cleanup, interior update (you'd be amazed at what leather shops can do, even with really poor condition seats)
-drive it til the wheels fall off.
-don't bother with the switchblade key- you can use that money for some of the other repairs you need.

I only mention the above as it's seems that this TL will be your DD, so you should use it as such. My wife's son recently bought an old 4 Runner and paid something like $2000 for it. He was planning to do a bunch of appearance mods and after speaking with me decided not to do so. I would never want to convince someone not to mod their car, but it depends on the starting material. If the car was pristine and with low miles, by all means, mod it as you like it. If a beater (like this car sounds like), then fix what's needed and use it.

Last edited by erdoc48; 07-16-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2013 | 07:50 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I'm not sure I would have bought that one as you have no ability to work on it yourself since you said you have a no DIY policy for your apt. complex (but it's too late for that argument now).
My advice:
-don't attempt to make it a show car (it'll cost too much and won't be worth more than it is right now)
-see if you can get the rust repair done relatively inexpensively, so it doesn't spread.
-get a dash cover immediately (roughly $40-50) and the cracked dash won't bother you as you won't see it
-do the maintenance work that's needed (ATF, switches, motor mount, and control arm bushings) to keep the car running. Get the exhaust re-installed immediately (that's a safety thing and you don't want to be pulled over often).
-see if the windshield can be fixed at least so the crack doesn't extend, otherwise, get the windshield replaced (use a non OEM one, such as Safelight glass)
-a little cleanup, interior update (you'd be amazed at what leather shops can do, even with really poor condition seats)
-don't bother with the switchblade key- you can use that money for some of the other repairs you need.

I only mention the above as it's seems that this TL will be your DD, so you should use it as such. My wife's son recently bought an old 4 Runner and paid something like $2000 for it. He was planning to do a bunch of appearance mods and after speaking with me decided not to do so. I would never want to convince someone not to mod their car, but it depends on the starting material. If the car was pristine and with low miles, by all means, mod it as you like it. If a beater (like this car sounds like), then fix what's needed and use it.
Thanks for the advise. I couldn't agree more about what you suggested. For sure I would focus on critical issues first. Just to clarify, even with the issues listed, the car is running great. It's just my preference to have them replaced/serviced.

But, I'll admit I like to invest some money once a while to feel good. i.e. shiny new key (well I only have 1 key right now)

I have arranged a time to have pressure switches & tranny fluid change serviced. I'll also be able to have a good look about the exhaust by the time.

We'll see....

P.S. how accurate is the trip computer about MPG? I have it at 23 and wonder about it's credibility.
Old 07-16-2013 | 09:56 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've manually computed the MPG and compared against the MID MPG several times, and has always been spot on for me. And BTW, I'm currently getting 23 MPG on my 6MT around town.
Old 07-16-2013 | 11:15 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 6MTrules
I've manually computed the MPG and compared against the MID MPG several times, and has always been spot on for me. And BTW, I'm currently getting 23 MPG on my 6MT around town.
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013 | 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 595 Likes on 458 Posts
Service it, enjoy it, and as always if you have questions we are here to help. The pressure switches and the ATF change are mandatory. Sounds like you just need to add a resonator to get rid of some of the rasp. for sure the windshield. The switchblade key is a waste, cost for cutting and programing is way better spent elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2013 | 12:57 AM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
My advice:

Good advice.