Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member - New WDP TL owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member - New WDP TL owner

Long time acurazine reader, first time poster. I want to thank those who share their experience, fixes and mods for this 3rd gen TL. I acquired my 2006 WDP 6mt TL with nav in June and have been working on a few car problems therefore I havent had the chance to introduce myself to the forum. I'll try to post some pics of the fixes and review that i've done to the car (steering rack/pinion, belt tensioner and serpentine belt, brake pads, front bumper license plate hole fix, a spec kit, tweeter and center speaker upgrade and some ratttles)

I bought extended warranty for the car from the credit union bank for $1020 for 4 yrs or 48k miles. My TL has 46k miles. My quesion is that if i lowered the car on coil over, will that void extended warranty? I feel that the TL looks tall when compared to 5series or lexus gs.

I live in Socal and bought the car in Pelham, Alabama from Donohoo Auto (will never buy car from here again). I paid $19000 for the TL, $750 for shipping, $370 for a round trip flight to test drive the car prior to purchasing, and more $$$ for repair after I acquired the car. The car was listed as clear title with no known mechanical issues, i checked it out with no leak whatsoever. I received the car with a leak on the steering rack/pinion boot and the power steering fluid resevoir would not maintain its level, I had to refill every other day. Extended warranty would not pay for the repair because of prepurchase problem. Factory warranty expired in march 10 so I was stranded with a car with little or no power steering. I called Donohoo auto and they ignored all my phone calls. Send them a letter and nothing replied. If I filed a BBB complaint and AL Consummer Affair against Donohoo (I have the original ad for the car that stated "Thorough dealer inspection with no known mechanical error"), would I win this case or it's a waste of time?

Thanks
Liem
Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Welcome.. sorry to hear about those problems.. hope everything works out. GL
Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Congrats on the TL. As far as the BBB, some people say they are worthless. But I guess it's worth a try. Hope it works out for you.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Ouch!
hope everything works out for you.

oh and 6mt ftw.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
based on what your telling us it seems you are in the right ... hopefully bbb comes through for u
Old 08-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Look into whether or not the o ring was replaced on the power steering assembly. There is a recall for it that might not have ever been taken care of. You'll figure it out and be left with a gorgeous 6speed white TL.

IMO...those extendeds are a waste...they always find reasons why it's not their fault so they basically give you false sense of security. Good news. You can cancel it NOW and they HAVE to prorate the amount and give you your grand back. Then you can take that grand, and get it back to mechanically sound and buy yourself some Tein SS coilovers and get her lowered.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Welcome and congrats Liem! Glad to see another WDP TL owner in the house.

Unfortunately I don't know shit about anything you posted about so I'll let someone else lead you in the right direction
Old 08-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Liem, welcome-but sorry to hear about the problems. I hope they get worked out OK.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys thanks for a warm welcome, i'll file the claim sometime this week.
I bought the extended warranty because of the navigation and other electronics in the car. For the power steering pump, how can you tell if the o-ring was replaced? I put in a A1 Cardone reman rack and pinion assembly for $170 and 350 for labor and alignment from a reputable shop. Guess what Acura dealer quoted $1200 for parts and labor. The steering now is very smooth and soft, i should have gone with type s rack and pinion
Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
2011 M37x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the forum...hopefully everything will work out for you
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by comcongen
Long time acurazine reader, first time poster. I want to thank those who share their experience, fixes and mods for this 3rd gen TL. I acquired my 2006 WDP 6mt TL with nav in June and have been working on a few car problems therefore I havent had the chance to introduce myself to the forum. I'll try to post some pics of the fixes and review that i've done to the car (steering rack/pinion, belt tensioner and serpentine belt, brake pads, front bumper license plate hole fix, a spec kit, tweeter and center speaker upgrade and some ratttles)

I bought extended warranty for the car from the credit union bank for $1020 for 4 yrs or 48k miles. My TL has 46k miles. My quesion is that if i lowered the car on coil over, will that void extended warranty? I feel that the TL looks tall when compared to 5series or lexus gs.

I live in Socal and bought the car in Pelham, Alabama from Donohoo Auto (will never buy car from here again). I paid $19000 for the TL, $750 for shipping, $370 for a round trip flight to test drive the car prior to purchasing, and more $$$ for repair after I acquired the car. The car was listed as clear title with no known mechanical issues, i checked it out with no leak whatsoever. I received the car with a leak on the steering rack/pinion boot and the power steering fluid resevoir would not maintain its level, I had to refill every other day. Extended warranty would not pay for the repair because of prepurchase problem. Factory warranty expired in march 10 so I was stranded with a car with little or no power steering. I called Donohoo auto and they ignored all my phone calls. Send them a letter and nothing replied. If I filed a BBB complaint and AL Consummer Affair against Donohoo (I have the original ad for the car that stated "Thorough dealer inspection with no known mechanical error"), would I win this case or it's a waste of time?

Thanks
Liem
Hi Liem and welcome to acurazine! I'm sorry to hear about your purchase experience. Have you consulted with an attorney to see if it would be worth litigation? I mean spending 5K on a lawyer worth 2K of repair bills?

As far as the car goes, make sure that all the recall's have been performed, esp. the power steering one as it can cause an engine fire! The links for the recall paper work can be located in the 3G Service Dept/Garage at stickied at the top of the forums.

Regarding the warranty, installing coilovers would void the warranty on the suspension components that are covered. For example, suppose you installed the coilovers and then your sway bar links or something non-wear and tear breaks. The warranty company will send out an adjustor to insure that all the I's are dotted and T's crossed and they will probably see the coilvers and thus not cover it. However, suppose you install them and then your car gives a Check Engine Light. The warranty company can't void the warranty on the motor since the suspension doesn't really affect it.