Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member desperate for answers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New member desperate for answers.

I bought a J32A3 the other day for $700 CDN. Complete engine, w/ 6 speed LSD Trans and shift cables. Trans has never been removed, all factory clutch, etc. with 75,000 KM. I guess I should note this is going into a '96 TEG w/ HASport kit.

When it's too good to be true, it usually is.

When I picked the motor up I noticed to crank pulley was off. Didn't think anything of it. Everything else was there, so I bought it. Got it home, did some closer inspections and it all looked good. So on to the compression test to see what's up.

I took out the plugs, setup my gauge and cranked her over. No compression at all in cylinder 1. Weird. Then I notice the cams are not turning!!

I'm a B series guy and I had no idea the keyway held the timing gear and crank pulley in place. So I'm an idiot and I need to know if this engine is a zero clearance. If so, I guess I have bent valves. Though while cranking I didn't hear anything to indicate that. Am I screwed?

Maybe I was the 1 in a million where all the valves are in the perfect spot?

I'm buying a crank bolt and keyway tomorrow from Acura so I can do another comp test to see if Im really screwed.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you already know--cranking it further will only bend more stuff
Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by paton5g
I bought a J32A3 the other day for $700 CDN. Complete engine, w/ 6 speed LSD Trans and shift cables. Trans has never been removed, all factory clutch, etc. with 75,000 KM. I guess I should note this is going into a '96 TEG w/ HASport kit.

When it's too good to be true, it usually is.

When I picked the motor up I noticed to crank pulley was off. Didn't think anything of it. Everything else was there, so I bought it. Got it home, did some closer inspections and it all looked good. So on to the compression test to see what's up.

I took out the plugs, setup my gauge and cranked her over. No compression at all in cylinder 1. Weird. Then I notice the cams are not turning!!

I'm a B series guy and I had no idea the keyway held the timing gear and crank pulley in place. So I'm an idiot and I need to know if this engine is a zero clearance. If so, I guess I have bent valves. Though while cranking I didn't hear anything to indicate that. Am I screwed?

Maybe I was the 1 in a million where all the valves are in the perfect spot?

I'm buying a crank bolt and keyway tomorrow from Acura so I can do another comp test to see if Im really screwed.
$700 is way too cheap for what you got. There had to be a catch and the blown motor might be it. What you have is easily $3000 USD in good condition, I would imagine everything is going to be in pretty rough condition.

Once you get this all sorted out the car is going to be sweet.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
If your lucky the trans might be good out of the deal.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
$700 is way too cheap for what you got. There had to be a catch and the blown motor might be it. What you have is easily $3000 USD in good condition, I would imagine everything is going to be in pretty rough condition.

Once you get this all sorted out the car is going to be sweet.
Well everything looks pretty damn good. There is some over spray on it because it was on the floor of a shop. The timing covers had never been removed, tensioner never removed, everything is here minus a few bits and pieces. Original plugs, original timing belt, trans never off. The oil coating in the intake runners isn't very heavy. It all point to the engine having low mileage, which the seller claimed. Honda oil filter on it, dealer serviced?

I just don't see the engine being "blown" when I got it. I think any damage done, is because of me. I'm still trying to figure out why they would remove the keyway and crank pulley. For another engine? He did have 4 other J30's there. Some partially stripped down.

Plus, the motor was definitely taken out with care, nothing cut or broken. I think it was running when it was removed. The guy had no idea what it was, he said it came from a crashed Acura, didn't even know what model. Or that it was 6 Speed!!

IS THERE A CHANCE that the valves were in that RIGHT spot when I cranked it? I heard nothing to indicate any damage. Or would I even hear it?