Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Honda ATF DW-1?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM
B A N N E D

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool New Honda ATF DW-1?!?

Ok guys, specially IHC and INACCURATE, I am aware of your thoghts on the ATF Z1, and combining the LIGHTWEIGHT Redline, Shift AMSOIL and a few more and the Type F lubs.What feedback, if any, has anyone heard about this new ATF? I know it is new, but I wonder if test's have been conducted? Is it better than the Z1?

Honda say's:

* Meets Honda Quality Standards
* Smoother shifting at low and high temperatures
* Lower viscosity for improved fuel economy
* Protects seals and "O" rings with special additives
* Low oxidation rate for longer improved long-term stability
* Formulated specially for newer Honda vehicles

Comments please!

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 02-24-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
DW-1 is for newer Hondas. I'm not sure whether it's backwards compatible or not. I've heard both.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Ricky you don't need to bump your thread every half hour. Give it some time, you should get some responses.

And I fixed your typo.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
I dunno too much about it outside of the several other threads on here about it... but what has Honda ever done to give you any confidence that this fluid is any good? It appears that soft shifts are still at the forefront and longevity and minimal wear are not.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by jda123
I dunno too much about it outside of the several other threads on here about it... but what has Honda ever done to give you any confidence that this fluid is any good? It appears that soft shifts are still at the forefront and longevity and minimal wear are not.
My feelings too. I tried to do a Google on the new fluid a few months ago, and I found nothing enlightening. jda123's quote above sums it up nicely.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I'm in the ER and being injected with Morphine every few hours so I hope this makes sense. Number one is this fluid is meant to comply with increasing mpg requirements. Basically its just a lower viscosity fluid that might have a better base oil to meet wear requirements with its thinner viscosity. I saw one of the patent papers and it looks like it might contain less FM but knowing Honda I would guess it still has a lot.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Why are you in the ER getting moriphine?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:35 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm in the ER and being injected with Morphine every few hours so I hope this makes sense. Number one is this fluid is meant to comply with increasing mpg requirements. Basically its just a lower viscosity fluid that might have a better base oil to meet wear requirements with its thinner viscosity. I saw one of the patent papers and it looks like it might contain less FM but knowing Honda I would guess it still has a lot.
You're in the ER on Morphine and you're still browsing and posting on the forums??? You need to get your priorities straight here.

Stop taking the morphine so you can browse and post without being all loopy.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Because....... where else can a guy get quality morphine at this time of the night

IHC - What happened buddy???? Are you ok ?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/honda-discontinues-z1-atf-effective-2011-a-785893/
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I would just stick with Redline fluids or Amsoil. Like it was stated earlier, by Honda switching fluids does it make you feel more confident in them. I'd like to see after a 3x3 what the fluid looks like and if they are metal shavings. I mean there may be less shavings who knows but what ill effects will this new fluid give off in the long run. And I am in no means an expert or as knowledgeable as IHC or Inaccurate in this field either just basing my opinion on what I gathered thru the many ATF threads.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I just had my tranny replaced in my 06. I asked about the new ATF and they said it was only for the newer years, 10 and up I believe was the answer. They refilled my new tranny with Z1.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
I did a 3x3 with DW-1 and replaced my pressure switches a couple of months ago on my 06 TL which has 36k on the clock. My transmission is operating flawlessly and is a joy to drive. Shifts are quick and precise. So far, so good, but only time will tell.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Because....... where else can a guy get quality morphine at this time of the night

IHC - What happened buddy???? Are you ok ?
I'm fine. Jut got out of a small dental surgery to remove what was left of my tooth. I got hit so hard I still don't remember what part hit me but it was either the butt or barrel of the gun attempted carjacking I think but I don't remember much. I can't say much because he's still in the hospital and in bad shape but i'll be taking it easy for a few days. My hands are barely usable but not broken fortunately. At least I can still type decently. I have no memory of posting in here the other day lol.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
IHC, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you have a quick recovery.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 3gstealth
IHC, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you have a quick recovery.
Thank you. I'm going back to work tomorrow. Finally off the Morphine, that was the worst experience ever. I was nauseated the entire time they had me on that stuff. Luckily my TL is fine with just a little blood that cleaned up pretty easily.

Sorry for taking this off topic, I must have been completely out of it when I posted that original post. It was surprisingly well written for the state of mind I must have been in at the time lol.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok IHC.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IHC, so basically someone attempted to steal your car (06 TL)and your beat them badly in self defense! right.... was there multiple ppl?? how did they get the best of you?? what happen to them???? i wish you the best too, but azine.com needs there top guy @ 100%
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rkan121
IHC, so basically someone attempted to steal your car (06 TL)and your beat them badly in self defense! right.... was there multiple ppl?? how did they get the best of you?? what happen to them???? i wish you the best too, but azine.com needs there top guy @ 100%
I barely remember any of it. I still don't remember the ride to the hospital. I don't know if they were going for the car or just a random beating?? I remember getting hit so hard that I didn't know what happened at first. I remember seeing a gun. I was told it ended up on the floor of the TL. Both of my hands are swollen and bruised as is my right shin. There's no evidence it went to the ground which is weird because that's where I would have taken it right away with only one person but I have basically no other injuries indicating more than one. I'll never drive with my windows down in that part of town again. Hell, I'll probably never drive in that part of town again. I can't say why I chose to fight because I can't remember but it probably wasn't the smartest decision.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Racer

wow, i didnt mean to pry. when im traveling in the ghettos of pittsburgh I never keep the windows down completely and always have the eyes in the back of my head. I feel for you IHC. I prob would have challedged some random crackheads, but you can quickly be outnumbered and overpowered. i wish i was aloud to carry a piece for my job. i guess ill have to get some bitch spray or something comparable. Was there police involved, prehaps they can provide so closure
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn IHC, at least they didn't get the TL, hope everythings ok in the end.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

he's still in the hospital and in bad shape.
I hope he is not in the same hospital with you. If you find him, you are likely to finish the job. The guy picked the wrong person.

I speak for all of Acurazine by saying that we are thankful that the jerk didn't fire any shots.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I hope he is not in the same hospital with you. If you find him, you are likely to finish the job. The guy picked the wrong person.

I speak for all of Acurazine by saying that we are thankful that the jerk didn't fire any shots.
Thanks, that really means a lot. It's over, I have no hard feelings at all. The funny thing is that tooth has been a pita for the last year. If he would have knocked it all the way out it would've saved me $1,000 lol. From what I've learned, there were two. Somewhere during the struggle he lost the gun on my floorboard. One guy ran, the other did not. He has an extensive violent criminal background. I almost want to visit him to see how he's doing but I don't think that would be appropriate. I have a good life and I'm going to work tomorrow, he's going to jail as soon as he gets better. I get grumpy from time to time but I'm older and I don't like hurting people. Just got to watch my back on an internet forum, it wouldn't be that far fetched for me to get sued.

My memory is reduced to flashes like a slide show, most likely from getting hit in the jaw with a gun. I should post pictures, that would gross everyone out lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

My memory is reduced to flashes like a slide show.

Few words of caution - In cases like this, I think that it is common for a person to gradually regain most memories of the event. This could be disturbing to have those unpleasant thoughts (memories) to flash into your mind without you expecting it.

In closing, please allow me to offer you the following. God had a reason for this event. Something good/spiritual will come from it.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 AM
Get Money

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i hate cars
i'm fine. Jut got out of a small dental surgery to remove what was left of my tooth. I got hit so hard i still don't remember what part hit me but it was either the butt or barrel of the gun attempted carjacking i think but i don't remember much. I can't say much because he's still in the hospital and in bad shape but i'll be taking it easy for a few days. My hands are barely usable but not broken fortunately. At least i can still type decently. I have no memory of posting in here the other day lol.

chl.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Matt- happy to hear that you walked away from this. Get better soon. Hopefully those thugs spend a lot of time in prison.....
Old 02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
B A N N E D

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks, that really means a lot. It's over, I have no hard feelings at all. The funny thing is that tooth has been a pita for the last year. If he would have knocked it all the way out it would've saved me $1,000 lol. From what I've learned, there were two. Somewhere during the struggle he lost the gun on my floorboard. One guy ran, the other did not. He has an extensive violent criminal background. I almost want to visit him to see how he's doing but I don't think that would be appropriate. I have a good life and I'm going to work tomorrow, he's going to jail as soon as he gets better. I get grumpy from time to time but I'm older and I don't like hurting people. Just got to watch my back on an internet forum, it wouldn't be that far fetched for me to get sued.

My memory is reduced to flashes like a slide show, most likely from getting hit in the jaw with a gun. I should post pictures, that would gross everyone out lol.
Matt, glad it was not worst!! Still, glad you had the chance to deffended your self. As they use to say in Hillstreet Blues...Do it to them before they do it to you!! Stay safe buddy!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,058 Likes on 2,521 Posts
I'm fine. Jut got out of a small dental surgery to remove what was left of my tooth. I got hit so hard I still don't remember what part hit me but it was either the butt or barrel of the gun attempted carjacking I think but I don't remember much. I can't say much because he's still in the hospital and in bad shape but i'll be taking it easy for a few days. My hands are barely usable but not broken fortunately. At least I can still type decently. I have no memory of posting in here the other day lol.
Sorry for read of your misfortune, hope you make a full and speedy recovery. Also hope the law gets to the bastard(s) you did this and spend alot of time behind bars.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,058 Likes on 2,521 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricky Pounds
Ok guys, specially IHC and INACCURATE, I am aware of your thoghts on the ATF Z1, and combining the LIGHTWEIGHT Redline, Shift AMSOIL and a few more and the Type F lubs.What feedback, if any, has anyone heard about this new ATF? I know it is new, but I wonder if test's have been conducted? Is it better than the Z1?

Honda say's:

* Meets Honda Quality Standards
* Smoother shifting at low and high temperatures
* Lower viscosity for improved fuel economy
* Protects seals and "O" rings with special additives
* Low oxidation rate for longer improved long-term stability
* Formulated specially for newer Honda vehicles

Comments please!
I'm using the new Honda ATF in my wife's 2003 Pilot. Can't say I've noticed any difference. I did not do a complete flush and fill. I do a single drain/fill every 10-15 K miles. I've done two drain/fill so far with the new ATF.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Safety Car

^ From my past experience, the bulk of the changes (if there are any) will be experienced after the second refill.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Holy crap IHC.
That sounds terrifying. Glad you're alright and lived to tell the story.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Pro

Thats why I never got a reply back from you when I sent you a text. I'm back in Louisiana now Matt. Hope you get better soon buddy.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did a drain and fill on my 03 RSX yesterday. My local dealer only had DW-1 and said Z1 isn't available anymore. At least that's what that part guy said. I checked Bernardi and I couldn't order Z1 from there either.

Anyways, I actually felt some improvement this morning, when the car was cold (around 30F this morning). Car shifted smoother. It was smooth when warmed up, but not when cold. It could be different for TL since my car has different transmission. I will try DW-1 on my TL for next oil/trans change period comes.

Just my
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone know if this is a synthetic blend like some people have been stating in other forums? Reason is I was going to do the redline but did a 4x3 of this DW 1 instead for now because it was in stock at my local dealer and I would have had to wait for redline to be shipped. Plus I wanted to try it out. The bottles they sold me talk about improved cold weather performance and smoother shifting but dont list synthetic anywhere on the bottles. Mine were silver colored but the canadian bottols I have seen are black and say synthetic on the bottle. I wonder why honda/acura would not list this on the american bottles if it is a full or synthetic blend. You would think it would be a great selling point. My trans does seem to be shifting crisper with it and less sloppy than z1 that was in there and that was only 4000 miles old. Also I can feel the shifts a little now in a good way as before they would always slip in. Maybe Ihatecars can get some inside info. I probably should have got the redline and may still do so I replaced my pressure switches 14k ago.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
By the way sorry to hear about your misfortune that happened Ihatecars and glad you are doing well and ok. Your knowledge and info you post on this great forum is so valuable and appreciated.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
A blend is no more than the amount of synthetic that a manufacturer cares to put in. 99% dino and 1% syn is a blend. Unless you know the content, stick with a known commodity.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone else done the ATF-DW1 change to their TL?

IHC- sorry that happened, hope all ends well.

Last edited by CamboSoup562; 04-21-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Intermediate

Nvm, found this...

A moderator from www.elementownersclub.com posted this which recently came from Honda:

"The latest info from Honda as of September 3rd:

A new ATF is now available for all Honda vehicles. Honda ATF DW-1 was developed with the intention of improving low temperature fuel economy. DW-1 is capable of maintaining a lower viscosity at lower temperatures resulting in less energy required to move the vehicle during the warm-up period. High/normal temperature viscosity remains the same as the current ATF-Z1.

APPLICATION:
Factory Fill - All 2011+ MY Honda vehicles will come with ATF-DW1.
Mixing - Automatic Transmissions currently filled with ATF-Z1 can be filled or topped off with ATF-DW1. Mixing the two fluids will not negatively affect performance.
Storage - Dealers using bulk storage systems can mix the new ATF-DW1 with the old ATF-Z1 if necessary. However it is recommended that the existing stock of ATF-Z1 be depleted before refilling with ATF-DW1 as mixing the two does deplete the performance advantages of the DW-1."

I'm definitely glad to hear that the new DW-1 synthetic ATF will maintain the same viscosity as the Z1 under normal operating temps yet still have a lower viscosity at the lower temps so that it shouldn't increase wear on the clutchpacks and should provide no less overall protection than the Z1. As a matter of fact Honda has already stated:

The key benefits for the Honda ATF DW-1 are:

Low Temperature, Lower Viscosity:

- Better lubrication

- Reduced friction at low temperature

- Improved fuel economy

High Temperature, Stable Viscosity:

- Maintains film thickness

- Improved protection against breakdown

- Full synthetic, high film strength
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

Doing a quick Google on this atf, google does show a lot of "internet rumors" from chat forums that the DW-1 is synthetic. However, I find nothing from Honda or official sites that say the DW-1 is synthetic.

Honda ServiceNews Article(click here)

The MSDS mentions "Petroleum distillates", which ain't synthetic.

MSDS (click here)

Even checking official Genuine Honda Parts suppliers, they do not sell it as being a synthetic.

Is it synthetic? Is Honda selling two versions, one synthetic and the other not (I doubt this is the case)?

If it was synthetic, I would think that Honda would label it as such on the container. There appears to be two versions of bottles floating around on the internet - One says "synthetic" and the majority don't.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Intermediate

Just did the the first part of my 3x3 change, so far, so good. Noticeable smoother shifter at cold temperatures and also after warmed up!

Quick Reply: New Honda ATF DW-1?!?