3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New features are nice but has any of the old problems been addressed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New features are nice but has any of the old problems been addressed?

Sure it's nice that some new features have been added for the 2005 model year. However, none of that matters to me if the common problems with the initial 2004 release hasn't been addressed.

I know the issue with the tires seems to be fixed. But what about the:

-headliner issue
-assortment of rattles including the rear deck
-paint peeling
Old 09-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Racer

What new features have been added?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking for "issues" for a year now and still can't find any.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Instructor

this is copied from a pm i sent another board member, hope this helps you in your car search:

my vin is 69xxx, i've had my car for about a month, it was ready for pick-up at the dealer the weds before labor day. my car has no problems whatsoever, no rattles, no headliners falling, no driveline vibrations. i'm not even complaining about the el42s, but to be honest i haven't really been able to test them out yet, especially on wet pavement.

the way i see it, anytime you buy a vehicle there's always a probability that you will get a lemon. there's also always a probability that you will get a quality car...this is true with all carmakers. some carmakers like lexus makes a lot less lemons and far more quality cars.

with that being said,

my famliy has had a jeep grand cherokee for about 8 yrs. tho jeep had a horrible jd rating, i never had a problem with that car and after 8 yrs it is running great.

on the other hand, my family also owned a toyota, a company with a very high jd rating...lots and lots of problems...we ended up selling the car after only 5 years.

my point is anytime you buy a car it's the luck of the draw...sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't

i belive acura makes quality cars and the proof is in the jd ratings. there have been some indiviuals that have unforntually received a few "lemons" and of course first year build cars will get their share of problems.

however, those early buyers have been our guiena pigs(sorry guys but it's true)...acura has fixed those problems for us later buyers. you may have notice the complaints about quality problems have decrease a lot in recent months...i believe acura has fixed up these problems, but remember every first-year model has problems like this, some far worse, others much better. i don't think it is fair to say acura makes poor cars because their first-year cars are not perfect.

cheers, best of luck in your decision
Old 09-29-2004, 05:32 PM
AT1
2004 TL 5AT

great info agenka. for those of who do not yet have a TL, reading everything on this forum can worrysome sometimes. i like to think that most new TLs DO NOT have any problems, it's just that issues get noticed a hell of a lot more than when everything is fine, so that's what gets posted out of proportion (which is completely understandable). it's good to hear somebody simply say that the car is doing well with no problems. i know there are a lot of unlucky people with issues, so i hope it doesn't sound like i'm taking anything away from the validity of what they're saying. just saying it's nice to hear the good stuff too.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Racer

I just saw the new marketing brochure for 2005 and they're really pushing those new "features" you mention - headliner that stays above your head (HTSAYH), rattle-free interior, and Peel-Less(TM) paint.

Duh! Are you serious?!

These are all the types of issues that are fixed throughout a model's life that don't get mentioned anywhere - they just happen.

BTW - I don't have any of these problems other than a minor rattle on the passenger-side door. I wouldn't be too concerned about minor issues like this on a first model-year car even if I did. They're easily fixed.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Great info agenka. Thanks for posting. That's a big help. Right or wrong, I decided to go with an '05 thinking that a few more kinks might be worked out.

Originally Posted by AT1
for those of who do not yet have a TL, reading everything on this forum can worrysome sometimes.
AT1, you are exactly right. I put an '05 on order Monday and I must admit, if you spend a lot of time lurking in the background and reading, you can end up being very apprehensive and worrisome about purchasing. While there are a number of real people, with real problems, it is nice to hear the positives as well knowing the group is also there when things aren't so positive.

Either way, from what I have seen the TL is an outstanding car. Thanks guys, your insight is tremendously helpful to newbies like myself.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:21 PM
AT1
2004 TL 5AT

i'm leaning towards getting a late build 04 to save some money (planning on keeping for a long time). this kind of positive info definitely helps. after reading everything on this forum for 2 months, i was getting into this mindset where i thought that all 04 TLs fall apart, which i eventually realized is a ridiculous assumption. i know it does happen to people, but the forum has a high concentration of problem-related topics that can be a little... worry-inducing.

wallaceoh, congrats on your new purchase!! when are you expecting delivery?