3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never buying an Acura again

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Sorry that you had the unfortunate ugly duckling. It sucks when everything seems to go wrong at once.

That said, I wouldn't slander an entire company because of one car. Even with as little as 24K miles on it, that's more than enough time for someone to abuse and neglect even standard maintenance.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!! About 6 of issues above i have already been through with my car since i bought it 5 months ago. It's been only 5 months and next week i have to bring it in again because the car is steering to the right when trying to go straight. Turns out, the caster on the front right side is shorter than the left.

I love to driving the TL-S so for now whatever that can be done to fix it, I'm cool with it. Although, it is a little frustrating.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
eh Caster? isnt caster something that's not adjustable? Has the car been in an accident?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not on paper anyways, bought it with a clean record through only 1 owner. Front bumper looks pretty clean, intact with body and matches perfectly.
Guy at the shop said they can't replace it either. So not even sure.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I suggest you trade it in for a domestic so you really see what problems are or better yet a vw.....
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Should've bought a base TL
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by foreverhonda
I suggest you trade it in for a domestic so you really see what problems are or better yet a vw.....
Ignorance at it's worst.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SimonCL-S6
No surprise you agree, you're the guy that thinks Acuras are fast.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
double
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
triple
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quadruple
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM
B A N N E D

Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
No surprise you agree, you're the guy that thinks Acuras are fast.
No, i just know american cars are shit I know acuras are fast i raced a ferrari california yesterday on the highway and i had no trouble beating him.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprstar
It sounds like you purchased a lemon.
^+1 i was in the same boat with my 2006 TL i purchased it with 25k WDP it was in the best shape and lowest mileage of all the other TL's that they wanted .......way more for ..............
The first 2 years no issues regular maintenance......the past year 2010 i had plans on moding it out............money saved up to go the distance ...........

started with gas line issue dealer fixed .........coouple months down the line engine mount ....fixed 2 months later engine mount fixed .....still like owell............started hearing this sqweeky noise take it in the change the steering rack.............after i get it back from that job it started making this crazy sound when ou turned the car on and even louder when you try to turn the wheel that was the last draw..............

so you are not alone there ........good luck on whatever you choose from this point on .......i just got another acura but new this time................
Old 03-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Quintuple
Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, sextuple.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
^+1 i was in the same boat with my 2006 TL i purchased it with 25k WDP it was in the best shape and lowest mileage of all the other TL's that they wanted .......way more for ..............
The first 2 years no issues regular maintenance......the past year 2010 i had plans on moding it out............money saved up to go the distance ...........

started with gas line issue dealer fixed .........coouple months down the line engine mount ....fixed 2 months later engine mount fixed .....still like owell............started hearing this sqweeky noise take it in the change the steering rack.............after i get it back from that job it started making this crazy sound when ou turned the car on and even louder when you try to turn the wheel that was the last draw..............

so you are not alone there ........good luck on whatever you choose from this point on .......i just got another acura but new this time................
gas line- not quite sure
mounts- pretty common issue, not the best out there, and i have seen posted them going out at like 39k already
squeaky/noise- sounds like the p/s line along with the o-ring that there is a TSB about

basically the easiest way to put it, is that no car is perfect (how many different parts go into a car afterward.... something like 10,000+ especially on more "luxurious" cars, it's alot of parts to get "correct"

Last edited by friesm2000; 03-28-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
basically the easiest way to put it, is that no car is perfect (how many different parts go into a car afterward.... something like 10,000+ especially on more "luxurious" cars, it's alot of parts to get "correct"
^ i agree with you ....even my boys who own B.M.W's say their cars always has signature problems when it hits certain mileage...........every car has it's own signature problem's ...............
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

septuple?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Honda The Most Reliable Car Manufacturer!

Have a read folks, and buy the way, is this not the acura forum, who's side are you guys on anyway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ar-report.html

Buying a used vehicle is always tricky, you never know what abuse has been done to the vehicle when you purchase it, especially if it has come of a lease. So my comment about trading it in for a domestic or a VW I stand buy it and facts are facts.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM
B A N N E D

Have a read folks, and buy the way, is this not the acura forum, who's side are you guys on anyway.

Buying a used vehicle is always tricky, you never know what abuse has been done to the vehicle when you purchase it, especially if it has come of a lease. So my comment about trading it in for a domestic or a VW I stand buy it and facts are facts.
FYI: ACURA IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT lol

with alot of luxary features, you barely see on honda's, but are standard features on Acura
Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Cool
Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Its all starting to add up honestly just a few weeks ago i was going to my car and i found a lemon on the floor that rolled down the hill from a supermarket...
Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Sell It!!!

Originally Posted by rhafikjaan
Its all starting to add up honestly just a few weeks ago i was going to my car and i found a lemon on the floor that rolled down the hill from a supermarket...
You could always sell it and get a pretty good buck for it, as resale values are one of the best in the industry as well. At least you have that on your side but good luck selling it now on this forum....
Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
i still want a type s Tl though...what to do.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Team Owner

How old are you, it's not about sides, it's about being open minded and not blinded by your favorite brand which is obvious. Being on an Acura forum does not mean you must take Acura's "side" in every discussion.

That test did not include Domestics. Keep in mind in these surveys, the car only has to have a problem, any problem. So a Corvette with a burned out light would score the same as a TL with a junk transmission.... lets not forget the class action lawsuit and the near daily transmission failure thread around here.

I don't care for consumer reports but here you go: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...minate-pr.html

Asia in the lead, American right behind and ahead of Europe. The difference is very small these days so making these blanket statements likely based off of no first hand experience is misleading.

My experience having owned both, the imports seem to have less small things go wrong. Interiors seem to hold up better, they generally look better 10 years down the road but I haven't seen the number of large expensive failures in the Domestic stuff and they're usually cheaper to repair when stuff does go wrong. I think Asian imports are more reliable on average as long as you don't count Mitsubishi so I do agree with you but there's not this huge gap. Even though I grew up loving the old turbo awd DSMs, the reliability of most of their products is terrible. I've been very happy with my TL for the past 5 years but I'm not blind to other cars out there.

If you hate American cars or think they're ugly or whatever, fine, but the whole reliability excuse is becoming pretty pointless.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Don't even compare!

Come on buddy you can't even compare the reliability of a Honda to any Domestics they are so far behind thats why there cars sell at at a discount and resale values are garbage. I know first hand and worked as a product development technologist and we manufactured parts for the big three which was our main customers. We could not meet Japanese specs it was impossible to produce material which would comply to there requirements. The only reason GM and Chrysler are still around is because the governments bailed them out. Also the governments falsly accused Toyota of faulty cars (recall) to get there money back from the bailout. They put the best engineers at work from Nasa and couldn't find any problems with Toyota vehicles. (sudden acceleration) all caused by floor mats which every manufacture has had recalls on.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
B A N N E D

How old are you, it's not about sides, it's about being open minded and not blinded by your favorite brand which is obvious. Being on an Acura forum does not mean you must take Acura's "side" in every discussion.

That test did not include Domestics. Keep in mind in these surveys, the car only has to have a problem, any problem. So a Corvette with a burned out light would score the same as a TL with a junk transmission.... lets not forget the class action lawsuit and the near daily transmission failure thread around here.

I don't care for consumer reports but here you go: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...minate-pr.html

Asia in the lead, American right behind and ahead of Europe. The difference is very small these days so making these blanket statements likely based off of no first hand experience is misleading.

My experience having owned both, the imports seem to have less small things go wrong. Interiors seem to hold up better, they generally look better 10 years down the road but I haven't seen the number of large expensive failures in the Domestic stuff and they're usually cheaper to repair when stuff does go wrong. I think Asian imports are more reliable on average as long as you don't count Mitsubishi so I do agree with you but there's not this huge gap. Even though I grew up loving the old turbo awd DSMs, the reliability of most of their products is terrible. I've been very happy with my TL for the past 5 years but I'm not blind to other cars out there.

If you hate American cars or think they're ugly or whatever, fine, but the whole reliability excuse is becoming pretty pointless.
have you tried Subaru (and NO the turbo models do not have issues with head gaskets like some of the naturally aspirated ones do), and for the most part those head gasket issue have been dealt with and corrected
Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Come on buddy you can't even compare the reliability of a Honda to any Domestics they are so far behind thats why there cars sell at at a discount and resale values are garbage. I know first hand and worked as a product development technologist and we manufactured parts for the big three which was our main customers. We could not meet Japanese specs it was impossible to produce material which would comply to there requirements. The only reason GM and Chrysler are still around is because the governments bailed them out. Also the governments falsly accused Toyota of faulty cars (recall) to get there money back from the bailout. They put the best engineers at work from Nasa and couldn't find any problems with Toyota vehicles. (sudden acceleration) all caused by floor mats which every manufacture has had recalls on.
And here you go off topic. We have: 1.Parts manufacturing. 2.Bailouts. 3.Conspiracy theories. 4.Stuck throttles. 5.Resale and sales. I thought this was about reliability.

So you're saying your company sucked so bad you could not meet OEM specs on a product? Good thing you didn't make aftermarket parts. You make it sound like the Japanese invented a new material which no one else can make. Give me a break. You're completely blind to anything but Asian imports.

The Government did not falsely accuse Toyota of anything. People were getting killed from unintended acceleration and it was investigated. If people were not dying, there would be no problems. I still don't believe it was floor mats for a second. You're saying a CHP officer could not turn a car off with over a minute to think about it? He couldn't pull a floor mat back with over a minute to do it. Get real. I truly believe it's a software glitch and will show itself again and unfortunately will be blamed on floor mats even when several of the cars had no floor mats in them. You honestly think this was a conspiracy by the Big 3 to take sales away from Toyota?

GM had a terrible business model and the problem was around unions and unsustainable benefits, not the quality of their products.

You may want to look past your nose at the financial problems of your own brand.... Honda and Toyota also asked for help as did the Europeans. The whole industry is in the toilet. Again, blinded by brand loyalty. http://www.newser.com/story/52383/ho...bandwagon.html
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...vention-71111/

Let's look at this for what it is. You worked for a company, probably on the assembly line or packaging and heard a few rumors from the big wigs that fit in with your views.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by friesm2000
have you tried Subaru (and NO the turbo models do not have issues with head gaskets like some of the naturally aspirated ones do), and for the most part those head gasket issue have been dealt with and corrected
I like the Scoobies. All of my friends that own them, both turbo and NA have had very good things to say. It's ironic that the NA ones had the HG issues lol. I like the boxer engine in general anyway.

The DSMs will always be special to me because in the mid to late '90s when turbo technology was in it's infancy they were right there with us trying to go fast on as few parts and $$ as possible and always getting creative.

The Buschur guys were always setting new records. By chance I ended up in a random freeway race with one of their quickest cars at the time while cruising up in Ventura.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

GM just cant make 1 quality vehicle the competes with the top JDM cars thats the only fact here.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SimonCL-S6
GM just cant make 1 quality vehicle the competes with the top JDM cars thats the only fact here.
I would expect nothing less out of you.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 PM
B A N N E D

I like the Scoobies. All of my friends that own them, both turbo and NA have had very good things to say. It's ironic that the NA ones had the HG issues lol. I like the boxer engine in general anyway.

The DSMs will always be special to me because in the mid to late '90s when turbo technology was in it's infancy they were right there with us trying to go fast on as few parts and $$ as possible and always getting creative.

The Buschur guys were always setting new records. By chance I ended up in a random freeway race with one of their quickest cars at the time while cruising up in Ventura.
and the NA's having the head gasket issues, part of that was going to too large of a bore (without the right technology and trying to cut costs), so they lost sealing surface around the bore, which was too much
and the turbos did not go the 2.5 displacement till roughly 2004, AFTER most of the head gasket prone ones had been produced (let alone also using better head gaskets due to having to be able to couple with the additional boost)
and what also REALLY bite them in the ass too, is that they had tried using a single layer head gasket, which was not up to the task either (the updated gasket is a multi-layered one, and when repaired properly, the issue does not show back up)

and as far as those DSM's i like the 2g front suspension design

and yeah we don't get as much action out here lol, but subaru is big here though, kinda like the real 4x4 world (not the all "show" shit)
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shring
I have a rattle in the back as well, but I'm almost positive it's from the third brake light cover. And it only rattles when I'm playing bass'y music.
It just could be that cover. I just had mine replaced Saturday.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I would expect nothing less out of you.
Hey, i do what i can
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Instructor

And here you go off topic. We have: 1.Parts manufacturing. 2.Bailouts. 3.Conspiracy theories. 4.Stuck throttles. 5.Resale and sales. I thought this was about reliability.

So you're saying your company sucked so bad you could not meet OEM specs on a product? Good thing you didn't make aftermarket parts. You make it sound like the Japanese invented a new material which no one else can make. Give me a break. You're completely blind to anything but Asian imports.

The Government did not falsely accuse Toyota of anything. People were getting killed from unintended acceleration and it was investigated. If people were not dying, there would be no problems. I still don't believe it was floor mats for a second. You're saying a CHP officer could not turn a car off with over a minute to think about it? He couldn't pull a floor mat back with over a minute to do it. Get real. I truly believe it's a software glitch and will show itself again and unfortunately will be blamed on floor mats even when several of the cars had no floor mats in them. You honestly think this was a conspiracy by the Big 3 to take sales away from Toyota?

GM had a terrible business model and the problem was around unions and unsustainable benefits, not the quality of their products.

You may want to look past your nose at the financial problems of your own brand.... Honda and Toyota also asked for help as did the Europeans. The whole industry is in the toilet. Again, blinded by brand loyalty. http://www.newser.com/story/52383/ho...bandwagon.html
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...vention-71111/

Let's look at this for what it is. You worked for a company, probably on the assembly line or packaging and heard a few rumors from the big wigs that fit in with your views.
Actually you are wrong I worked as a Reserch and Product Development Technologist developing material to meet OEM requirements. Don't try making your self look good its not working. Let me ask you this what made you buy a TL. I for one buy a car for reliability number one then comes all the other stuff.

Quick Reply: Never buying an Acura again