3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Again Will I Buy An Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by triax37
Reallly? NO ONE else commented on this? Everyone else would rather bash the OP, instead of the comment on maintenance of week-long drug benders?
have you ever thought that it was said in jest!?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Dude, after reading your original post and then reading everyone else's response, all I can say is, "sorry to see it's come to this".....
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
For real, agreed with Mr. Bell, LEXUS = Electrical, BMW = Lease Material only. LOLLLL straight up, if you have a luxury vehicle and something happens it is going to be a lot of $$$$$

No car is perfect, but as many have mentioned I think it is your/previous owner lack of knowledge about the vehicle and proper protection which has led you down this road.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
have you ever thought that it was said in jest!?
I know...I just thought it would be much more interesting to build on this comment instead of continuing to harass the OP!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TrustinHFDJ
For real, agreed with Mr. Bell, LEXUS = Electrical, BMW = Lease Material only. LOLLLL straight up, if you have a luxury vehicle and something happens it is going to be a lot of $$$$$

No car is perfect, but as many have mentioned I think it is your/previous owner lack of knowledge about the vehicle and proper protection which has led you down this road.
I would argue most luxury cars should be leased. Once the warranty runs out you will be paying out the ass to fix stuff. Plus, if you lease you are able to upgrade every few years. My .02

Sorry to hear that OP. But I wouldn't write off the whole brand because of a bad experience. But it sounds like pretty much every problem that could happen has. So I could see why you would be pissed.... I would be too.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
Who the fk is harassing the OP? Most agreed with him and are offering solace with the issues he'd have with any car.

I think, if anything, this thread is a good testament to the fact that Acura isn't the issue...seems like ALL new(er) cars, are not built to last like they used to be. Why do the higher end cars have more pronounced problems? It's because they have many more bells and whistles that can break and the manufacturers want to be on the cutting edge so they throw the new technology on the car before it's well tested. Our bluetooth unit failing is no different from BWM thowing halos in the headlights (anyone notice how many of them have 1 side out on a pretty new model?).

J.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by triax37
I know...I just thought it would be much more interesting to build on this comment instead of continuing to harass the OP!
go for it! stop talking about it and start talking about it.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
@rockstar143

That is bull dude that the dealer was going to charge you $1100 for the bluetooth module. The dealership where I go (because mine went out about 2 months ago) stated that this is now a common issue and that the price has been reduce only for the 3g TL to about $225. Luck for me I was still under warranty and just paid the $50 deductable.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks man....
Sorry, let me clarify. Was going to be:
$800 for the BT unit
$1400 for the dash

$2200 total
50% goodwill'd
$1100 out of pocket.

Fk that...
yeah, the BT ended up costing me $170 from Tim from oemacuraparts...and took all of 6 minutes to replace.

I mean, it's a business...so they are there to make money, which I don't mind. But don't rip me...especially not on stuff that SHOULD NOT be going bad!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
I too feel for the OP. Had I had these kinds of issues during ownership, moving on would be at the top of my list as well.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
I was super pissed with my last TL, the tranny took a dump on me, the radio messed up... I was mad at it, and Acura, but I still loved how the car looked and drove when it wasnt messed up. I didnt plan on getting another one anytime soon after that one was totaled but I ended up getting a really good deal on a 04 Aspec 6-speed and Ive never been happier with any of my other vehicles.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm done too, can't wait to dump my RL. Problems are starting to come more frequent. Going to get rid of if before I have tranny issues. Sad the motor runs strong.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Doesn't leave us stranded at least...
Funny, poster above said he got sick of his trouble Acura and replaced with a first model year ILX.

All newer cars have issues eventually...some you can deal with, some you can't.

My CD player doesn't work anymore...
Bluetooth I fixed
had to replace slave cylinder for clutch
dash I covered up.

But man...I LOVE my car. Love shooting pictures of it, love looking at it, love driving it. If you can't deal with the bad, you end up chasing perfection, which doesn't exist. Same with relationships...
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
EvilVirus (08-15-2012), Wacker (08-15-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
damn its gotten heated up in here....

OP, i feel bad that your car hasnt treated you well....

in all honesty, if I buy another car it would not be an Acura....the only reason why is I would like to try a different brand....I would like to see what BMW/MB/Audi have to offer....with that said,

Wifey has a 2003 Lexus and she is sitting at 103K miles and damn that engine has gotten noisy....i am guessing after the 105K service it will be fine but damn....

Uncle had a 2001 BMW 328ci (model is right, year I dont remember too well but it was a post 2000 year)....while he was selling that car, I was in the market for a car and wanted to buy his car and he told me "dont buy it man....i love this car but its a money pit....it goes to the dealership pretty often and throws a huge hole in your pocket"

The same uncle now has a 2006 Audi 4.2quattro A6 with the Sline package. The ABS light on it is on and it keeps beeping....she has gone in the dealership multiple times but the problem comes back every other week

Aunt has a 2012 MB GL500? ...she loves it....no issues so far....

I have a 2005 Acura TL with 162K miles and no problems....I have had little little issues light the bulb's going out on the switches but thats about it....she drives perfectly well....my rear caliper seized on me and I replaced that myself....but yeah nothing major (knock on wood)....

I would highly recommend this brand to family and friends because it is such an awesome car....reliable and low on maintenance....
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
You are right.... my old 99 nissan altima that u used as a beater for work and never really took care of it much besides mechanical stuff, always exposed to high heat from the sun and whatnot, never had a discoloration on the dash. It never rattled either
Lucky you!

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
hopefully you will not have problems with your next car. Very happy with my 06 tsx. Going on 144K rattle, problem free miles (knock on wood)
Thanks. Won't be getting a new car anytime real soon as I'm about to purchase a brand new home and then pop the ol' question!

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
So you got a car that's had more problems than some, that's no reason to bash the manufacturer. You could have bought the car brand new and had problems, you just have to face the fact that you took the chance of buying a car. And if you bought it used then that's even more of a risk.

You've been here a while so you know many of us are happy with our vehicles, some are not.

Maybe try looking at the positives, do you enjoy driving it? Is it paid off? Does it serve it's purpose to get you to and from work and/or transport your family?

You're looking at all the costs of owning a vehicle and the risks involved instead of looking at the positives.

As for this...

1. Transmission needed to be rebuilt
2. 3/4th pressure switches quite often
3. RATTLES
4. Dash cracking
5. All my engine mounts completely busted at around 110k miles...like...in pieces
6. Power Steering O-ring
7. Door lock actuators

1. The tranny is a known fault of this car (especially 04-05 models)
2. Those need to be done about every 50k miles and are really easy to DIY
3. Rattles are also a KNOWN issue with this car and again, easy to fix.
4. Dash cracking happens in EVERY vehicle.
5. Engine mounts are a wear and tear item. If you are not the original owner maybe the previous owner put a real beating on the car, there's no telling, maybe you beat the car up? My car is at 91k miles and when I have the 105k service done I will be replacing the motor mounts as well.
6. This was a recall from Acura, they will do it for free, hence "recall"
7. This could also happen in any car.

Just my Hope I helped. Good luck in whatever path you take.
I'm not really "bashing" the manufacturer imo. Just stating the mishaps I've had and wanting to find out what other people have been thinking in this situation as it is quite common for most of these things to happen. HENCE...the manufacturer, not the user. Well....the user to some degree, but Acura even said that they f'd up in the dash, etc I believe. I completely understand that ALL cars will have something that the owner did not expect, did not like or something that didn't go "as planned". But there absolutely no denying some of the manufacturing mistakes on this vehicle.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Name the car brand that will replace your Acura. I can rip them to shreds.

No one is perfect.
Correct. Didn't say anyone was.

Originally Posted by justnspace
its a high mileage 8(at least) year old car.

Yup. I remember WAY back in the day my dad had a old 92 or something accord DD that was prestine. He always says he's a fool for selling it b/c it never gave him problems. My brother did the same thing with a Honda prelude he had throughout H.S. and college. Just saying that it seems like older cars didn't quite have the stupid mishaps that happen on cars today. I'm not sure if it's more marketing to make the car not last quite as long, if it's the materials being used (on purpose or not), etc....again...just a statement/opinion.

Originally Posted by AccordFlex
a car is nothing more than a contained explosion on wheels. Of course you are going to run into problems here and there.
Lol. Very true. That's pretty good

Originally Posted by 350
All in all that's not too bad for the mileage, the TL is the first "import" I ever bought, When I drive my wife's 07 Impala over a rough road it's like being in an unbalanced washing machine. I'm more of a GM guy, the Honda thing is new to me, but I'm not buying another American car unless it's older than my 95 Impala SS.
Lol my g/f's beater is a '97 taurus right now and it feels the same way. You have to admit that an '07 Impala or '97 Taurus aren't exactly up to the standards that an '04+ Acura TL should be though. That's my point

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Maybe all of that audio equipment you have was so powerful that it cracked your dash

In all seriousness I'm sorry to see your dash. I dealt with that issue just a few months after purchasing my car and while I wasn't happy about it, Acura did the right thing and paid the labor cost to have it replaced.

Like others have said, no vehicle is perfect. Switching brands doesn't guarantee you a thing.
Lol maybe. Bass is so upfront and on the dash that the dash cracked! I'm going to have to use that one for awhile

Again, completely understand that every manuf. will have it's problems. My "will never buy an Acura" was more of a thread title/steam blow-off than a direct threat to Acura or whatever some are taking it to be in this thread. Lotta hurt butts in here lol

Originally Posted by UA6
Besides dealing with my tranny issues I've had to deal with attitudes from Acura dealers, service people, warranty departments, etc. Even AFTER I fixed the first tranny out of my own pocket I still have to defend myself about it every time I go to a dealership.
Sucks to hear, sorry about that. Never a fun situation

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I'm more disappointed with the Acura dealership experience than I am with my TL.
Also sucks to hear.

Originally Posted by seven654three
just curious, do you use a sun shield or your dash is constantly baking in the sun?

I'm hoping that my usage of a sun shade will prevent this from happening.
Well it is like 10000 degrees down here in the summer so that doesn't help. Most believe that the dash cracks as a direct result of the expansion and contraction of the material, which makes the most sense to me as to the problems most of having. I do use a sun shade most of the time. I leave my apartment for work before the sun is really up and park in a parking garage all day. On the rare account that I don't put it up, the windows get cracked a little.

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
The transmission could've been built better of course. The interior could've been built with more quality.

But with the bad, you forget about the pros.

The best fucking looking car on the road for the money.
Best V6 MPG without turning off two or 4 cylinders.
A reliable car in general.
A decent size trunk, backseat, and leg room.
Technology in the TL that most other makers finally learned in 2010+.
CHICK MAGNET.
Lol it is a good looking car and has good mpg's. Definitely ahead of the game in '04

Originally Posted by nothome17
Seeing that you are having problems, maybe your AC unit will go as well. Brace yourself for that repair to. ahahah..
Always one of "these" guys on every forum

After looking at your started threads I can't help but laugh at the irony that is you. Post after post in the "problems" section lol

Originally Posted by Acura-OC
How about layout of driver console, just a pure beauty.

Steering feels like you actually control the car. Overall driving experience is great.

But if I'd find my dash crack like OP that would really piss me off.
I was definitely upset at the first cracks over on the drivers side, but I lived with them b/c they were hard to see from my view. When it cracked on the pass. side though and looks like complete ass, that's when I got real upset lol. There are TOONS of cars that sit out in the sun without sun shades for many many more years than mine and they're fine. I'd really like to find out if there was a manuf. flaw in this design, but Acura would definitely never come clean about it.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Honestly, I don't blame the OP for saying the dash is the 'last straw'. Sometimes enough is enough and you walk and don't look back.

I'm very disappointed in Acura's non-response to this problem. I don't agree it happens to 'any' car. Our '02 is 10 1/2-years old and has been parked outside 24/7 for 5 years. No dash cracking.

I also think it's a legitimate safety hazard. Who knows how many flying pieces of shrapnel a cracked dash will turn in to if the front passenger airbag deploys?

Not to mention how expensive this non-normal failure is for a 'typical' owner to repair.
This.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Funny enough, OP and I had the same initial reaction when this happened. Probably didn't help that the bluetooth unit took a dump at the same time.

Acura was willing to 50% percent it, which is admirable for an almost 9 year old car...but I still wasn't willing to pay $1100 for something I didn't do anything to cause.

On the contrary, car always in the shade or sun shade up, religiously applied 303 protectant and STILL mine split. What really irked me was the service sales guy giving me the regular customer spiel on 2 different occasions about how Acura's engineers had determined that you shouldn't put anything on the dash...he's clueless what 303 is...then 2 weeks later, he forgets he told me that and tells me that Acura recommends to put 303 to preserve it.

Not cool...plus, I've got loads of aftermarket wiring and crap...and I've heard nightmares about ill fitting replacement dashes and creaks etc...and what IF...it cracks again!!!

So, I got over it...bought a Sedona Suede dash cover and I'm happy with it. Went online and bought a bluetooth unit for $170...and the dash cover for $80 and DONE.

Now, I have title in hand...and I love my car.
I've used 303 a few times, but I maintain my car with nothing but a microfiber. No need for an armor-all'd dash lol. Not to mention the paint and clear coat aren't too hot on these cars also. Using a PC with some Poorboy's, Zaino, etc helps a little, but I wish this would be a little better also. Definitely better than some cars though!! Just saw a newer Hyundai that had orange peel like CRAZY

I was following your thread when your dash cracked and you got that mat. Always said I'd get that one if it ever happened b/c it's somewhat low profile, fit's like a glove it seems, etc. I'll be sending you a PM sometime I'm sure to see what tips/tricks ya might have

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I feel for the OP. I have to assume the OP bought used and possibly some of these things pre-existed his purchase, like the dash and the pw steering hose for example. I can't help but wonder if he would have had a better experience if he had bought NEW. I had the PS hose recalled 4 years ago and that is only my 2nd and last trip to the dealer in 6 years of ownership. That's not bad for me anyway.

The things missing from the vent are:

1. cases where the car left him high and dry needing a tow. I know a few BMW drivers that can't say that.

2. how many times he went to the dealer for the same problem- that is the basis for the definition of a lemon which I heard nothing about. I have heard nothing about the same problem occurring like many other drivers deal with of lessor makes.

3. While I don't have the dash issue, it has been long discussed in this forum. Perhaps the OP should have done some better research and not buy the car in the first place. Perhaps the extremely high heat we have had this summer caused this dash issue to occur recently? Perhaps the car isn't garaged and is left baking in the sun all the time. Who knows.

Based on the signature, looks like the sound system is a major part of the OPs priorities and possibly that clouded his vision for some of the more glaring issues?
New is out of the question as I was still in school and drove 80 miles a day when I worked in downtown OKC. Now I get to drive this EVERY DAY! YAAAY!

1. It left me high and dry one time...and that one time was HUGE. I was heading out to Canyon City, CO for my 6-week summer course (capstone) and about 15 miles past Shamrock, TX (yeah..) my tranny went out. Had to have it towed all the way to Amarillo for a rebuild and was without a car for 6 weeks while I was up there. Thank goodness my buddy was driving with me so I hitched a ride with him.

2. I don't go to the dealership for a problem for a few reasons. One, b/c they won't do anything about it unless you pay them an exorbitant amount of money and two, the closest Acura dealership is about 100 miles.

3. Just because it's been discussed doesn't exactly mean it is 100% going to happen. If you get on any forum and look up potential problems, you would drive a bike. Yes...a bicycle. Even that sweet ass Schwinn might have a few problems on the Schwinn boards. My point is, I was aware of the potential problems and took that responsibility when I purchased the car. EVERYONE DOES. Problems can arise with any car and at some point you have to pick your poison. Perhaps it's just bad luck? Perhaps.

The major part of the my priorities were working my ass off for my degree and working for my company for the past 3 years. I would like to know how car audio could "cloud my vision on the glaring issues". What issue could have been unclouded? Hell...search my threads. You'll see multiple threads asking about the car, about my car, etc.

Originally Posted by Healingduck
I would argue most luxury cars should be leased. Once the warranty runs out you will be paying out the ass to fix stuff. Plus, if you lease you are able to upgrade every few years. My .02

Sorry to hear that OP. But I wouldn't write off the whole brand because of a bad experience. But it sounds like pretty much every problem that could happen has. So I could see why you would be pissed.... I would be too.
Thanks. Like I said, more of a blanket statement than anything. Just blowing off some steam and wanting to see what others felt that went through this. Murphy's Law is killin me!

Who the fk is harassing the OP? Most agreed with him and are offering solace with the issues he'd have with any car.

I think, if anything, this thread is a good testament to the fact that Acura isn't the issue...seems like ALL new(er) cars, are not built to last like they used to be. Why do the higher end cars have more pronounced problems? It's because they have many more bells and whistles that can break and the manufacturers want to be on the cutting edge so they throw the new technology on the car before it's well tested. Our bluetooth unit failing is no different from BWM thowing halos in the headlights (anyone notice how many of them have 1 side out on a pretty new model?).

J.
Also a good point! More things equals higher percentage of possible mishaps. I will just add that my damn nav hasn't worked for a year now lol. ...just had to throw that in there.

Originally Posted by Turbocoop
I was super pissed with my last TL, the tranny took a dump on me, the radio messed up... I was mad at it, and Acura, but I still loved how the car looked and drove when it wasnt messed up. I didnt plan on getting another one anytime soon after that one was totaled but I ended up getting a really good deal on a 04 Aspec 6-speed and Ive never been happier with any of my other vehicles.
I'm the same way. It's a good looking car and I enjoy the layout, design, etc more than most other things in the price range, but it's the obvious design flaws that just make me want to ask Acura wtf they were thinking. Good luck with the '04

Originally Posted by TXTurbo930
I'm done too, can't wait to dump my RL. Problems are starting to come more frequent. Going to get rid of if before I have tranny issues. Sad the motor runs strong.
Dang sorry to hear that. Does the RL have many of the issue that the TL has?

If you can't deal with the bad, you end up chasing perfection, which doesn't exist. Same with relationships...
You're a poet 'n didn't know it

Originally Posted by swoosh
damn its gotten heated up in here....

OP, i feel bad that your car hasnt treated you well....

in all honesty, if I buy another car it would not be an Acura....the only reason why is I would like to try a different brand....I would like to see what BMW/MB/Audi have to offer....with that said,

Wifey has a 2003 Lexus and she is sitting at 103K miles and damn that engine has gotten noisy....i am guessing after the 105K service it will be fine but damn....

Uncle had a 2001 BMW 328ci (model is right, year I dont remember too well but it was a post 2000 year)....while he was selling that car, I was in the market for a car and wanted to buy his car and he told me "dont buy it man....i love this car but its a money pit....it goes to the dealership pretty often and throws a huge hole in your pocket"

The same uncle now has a 2006 Audi 4.2quattro A6 with the Sline package. The ABS light on it is on and it keeps beeping....she has gone in the dealership multiple times but the problem comes back every other week

Aunt has a 2012 MB GL500? ...she loves it....no issues so far....

I have a 2005 Acura TL with 162K miles and no problems....I have had little little issues light the bulb's going out on the switches but thats about it....she drives perfectly well....my rear caliper seized on me and I replaced that myself....but yeah nothing major (knock on wood)....

I would highly recommend this brand to family and friends because it is such an awesome car....reliable and low on maintenance....
Thanks. My brother has the newer 535i and it's been in the shop quite a bit already. His wife has an '07 or '08 530i and it was a shop queen for awhile too. Under warranty on both, but still....not good! Audi's are sexy, but damn I hear a lot of stories about them on some other sites.

Glad to hear you haven't had any problems. Maybe my issues will be done after this. Went to leave my g/f's parents last night and realized that the light on the passenger front quarter panel has gone out. Go figure lol. Easy fix I assume, but I just laughed and got in.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-14-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM

^^^ yeah if I were to own an Audi/BMW/MB, I will damn sure make the full of the 4 year protection plan that they have where you dont have to spend a dime on getting anything done on the car....and then sell the car before that period runs out....
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Alien from Mars

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
hopefully you will not have problems with your next car. Very happy with my 06 tsx. Going on 144K rattle, problem free miles (knock on wood)
made in japan. thats why. total different quality control concept. and im not just talking about by the book, i mean by culture. if you visit japan, take a tour of a manufacturing factory in any industry

tl's are made in ohio.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
OP = New King of the Multi-Quote.

- Long Live the King.

The following 5 users liked this post by Bearcat94:
MEKO (08-16-2012), NBP-UA6 (08-15-2012), Sean S Thuok (08-15-2012), ttribe (08-22-2013), Undying Dreams (08-15-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado85
made in japan. thats why. total different quality control concept. and im not just talking about by the book, i mean by culture. if you visit japan, take a tour of a manufacturing factory in any industry

tl's are made in ohio.
Yeah, never was a fan of a OH made car

Dash cracking is not going to be QC related, QC really deals with did they make it like it's supposed to be made. Dash cracking is more of a material issue and goes back to design.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Sure there are many factors on somebody's experience with a car. I actually think an OH made care really isn't that bad. The Japanese-built TSX is not without its issues: buzzes, pings, etc.

TrunkMonkey, I wish you the best of luck in whatever your next car is. All I can say is my TL is hands down the best car I have ever owned. I have owned VW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Suburu and all those cars had one issue or another in 6 years time. Every car but my Honda required an unplanned service repair that gave zero warning for needing. The Toyota required a tow job for an igniter that failed, the VW had numerous BS things go wrong with it, the Nissan had window regulator problems, the Suburu had a wheel bearing go out. The Honda Prelude had stupid things like the rear view mirror and cassette deck break.

The Honda transmission issues have been known and I can't help but wonder if the AT was serviced at a reasonable interval (say 20k fluid changes) and if the sensors were ever changed. This information was all known 3 years ago in this forum so I got to benefit from this info with a 2006 car. I kind of doubt that those worthwhile items were done in this situation.

I have yet to have any major issue with the TL- yikes a power steering hose recall that had months notice in which I dropped the car off, got a loaner, and then picked up a clean and fixed car at 5pm- that was a tough time. That and a blown front speaker replacement under warranty is it for service which is not bad for 6 years of ownership.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
OP = New King of the Multi-Quote.

- Long Live the King.

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Sure there are many factors on somebody's experience with a car. I actually think an OH made care really isn't that bad. The Japanese-built TSX is not without its issues: buzzes, pings, etc.

TrunkMonkey, I wish you the best of luck in whatever your next car is. All I can say is my TL is hands down the best car I have ever owned. I have owned VW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Suburu and all those cars had one issue or another in 6 years time. Every car but my Honda required an unplanned service repair that gave zero warning for needing. The Toyota required a tow job for an igniter that failed, the VW had numerous BS things go wrong with it, the Nissan had window regulator problems, the Suburu had a wheel bearing go out. The Honda Prelude had stupid things like the rear view mirror and cassette deck break.

The Honda transmission issues have been known and I can't help but wonder if the AT was serviced at a reasonable interval (say 20k fluid changes) and if the sensors were ever changed. This information was all known 3 years ago in this forum so I got to benefit from this info with a 2006 car. I kind of doubt that those worthwhile items were done in this situation.

I have yet to have any major issue with the TL- yikes a power steering hose recall that had months notice in which I dropped the car off, got a loaner, and then picked up a clean and fixed car at 5pm- that was a tough time. That and a blown front speaker replacement under warranty is it for service which is not bad for 6 years of ownership.
Thanks. I hope that the car gives me many more miles without any more big hiccups. With a new tranny, 105 TB service, DWS tires, etc etc...hopefully it'll run for awhile. I'd like to pick up a new car sometime down the road and pass this off the soon to be fiance. Glad you like yours though! They sure were ahead of their time as far as styling, both inside AND out. Looking at other cars from '04-'06ish...yuck.

You could be right about the AT though. No telling what was done before I owned it at 100k miles. The guy I purchased it from had a receipt showing new AT was put in at I want to say 89k miles or so. Once it started to act funny I research and researched. Ordered the 3/4th switches and bam...tranny went. I definitely need to take mine in for the PS hose/o-ring recall though
Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Other Side of the Coin

The other side. I have a 2005 TL with 109,000 miles. No rattles, no problems. Without question my next car (if I live long enough) will be another Acura.
The following 3 users liked this post by geezer31:
EvilVirus (08-15-2012), I hate cars (08-15-2012), Le0wn (08-26-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Woah! You're the first of that age I've seen on Azine! Good for you man
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado85

tl's are made in ohio.
In agreement as I have been in Japan.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM

at 81...he probably can't hear or feel any of the car's problems!
OR, he's old enough to know not to sweat the small stuff and just love it as a whole package.

Trunk, you got it meng...PM me if you want any install tips or anything when you decide to get one.

I swear, ever since I installed it and took those pictures I haven't even THOUGHT about the cracks under there. I don't care about them...I put up a sun shade anyway...and use a piece of painter's tape to get the lint/hair off of it and always think that I'm happy it's less plastic to keep clean/wipe down/protect.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
EvilVirus (08-15-2012), Trunk Monkey (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
If I gave you a FREE 1991 Acura NSX-T would you buy an Acura?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Doesn't leave us stranded at least...
Funny, poster above said he got sick of his trouble Acura and replaced with a first model year ILX.

All newer cars have issues eventually...some you can deal with, some you can't.

My CD player doesn't work anymore...
Bluetooth I fixed
had to replace slave cylinder for clutch
dash I covered up.

But man...I LOVE my car. Love shooting pictures of it, love looking at it, love driving it. If you can't deal with the bad, you end up chasing perfection, which doesn't exist. Same with relationships...

I have the same issue with my CD player. but now even my tape is dead. no worries though, I feel the same as you, I still love my car

the other minor issues i have are:

burnt out light on transmission shifter (AT)
cruise control light switch out
hazard light switch out

other than those, i feel the same - i love looking at it, i love to drive it. i recently got a beater so as to slow down the milage gain and use my TL as a weekend car. i just cant part with it now.

to the OP - no car is perfect. im sorry to hear about your misfortunes but there will always be bad along with the good. personally, you wont find a perfect car, and the TL is as damn near close to a perfect, reliable car. at least for most of us.
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
I have the same issue with my CD player. but now even my tape is dead. no worries though, I feel the same as you, I still love my car

the other minor issues i have are:

burnt out light on transmission shifter (AT)
cruise control light switch out
hazard light switch out

to the OP - no car is perfect. im sorry to hear about your misfortunes but there will always be bad along with the good. personally, you wont find a perfect car, and the TL is as damn near close to a perfect, reliable car. at least for most of us.
I've got all those problems also lol. Should have gotten my nav drive fixed while it was $158. Kicking myself now that it has doubled!!

Need to replace the side marker light too as that sucker burnt out on me a few days ago. I have NO CLUE how to put in new lights for the shifter area or the CC. My entire right side is out
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Well, I'd suggest getting a bunch of the bulbs...they're like $2 from Acura and when you take your center console apart, you can pretty easily get at the old bulbs to swap out.

yeah, I'm tempted to replace my cd player, but with XM, radio, and Ipod functionality too...I don't NEED the CD player that much.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Know of any DIY on here for the location of the shifter bulbs or how to take apart the center console? Haven't done that yet lol

I agree with you though. If my CD player ends up going, I'll just use my aux from the MS-8 for my iphone. Love the dvd-a though so lets hope it doesn't give out
Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Re: the dashboard. Periodically re-moisturizing it with a (non alcohol based) conditioner + application of an SPF protector will do wonders for protecting that dash.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM

ask and you shall receive:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-conversion-part-0-retrofit-oem-bayonet-housings-led-747846/ - Part 0 Retrofit of OE Bayonet Housings with an LED
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-conversion-part-i-map-light-console-746609/ - Part 1 Map Light Console
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-conversion-part-ii-rear-door-window-switch-w-handle-leds-746947/ - Part 2 Rear Door Window Switch w/ Handle LEDs
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-part-iii-steering-wheel-leds-audio-cruise-modules-763640/ - Part 3 Steering Wheel LEDs (Audio and Cruise Modules)
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-conversion-part-iii-steering-wheel-746972/ - Part 3 Overview
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-conversion-part-iv-center-vents-747870/ - Part 4 Center Vents
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-conversion-part-v-cluster-console-easiest-bunch-747874/ - Part 5 Cluster Console (EASIEST OF THE BUNCH!)
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-part-vi-front-passenger-door-w-rl-door-handle-led-750657/ - Part 6 Front Passenger Door w/ RL Door-Handle LED
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-part-vii-front-driver-door-w-rl-door-handle-led-750671/ - Part 7: Front Driver Door w/ RL Door-Handle LED
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-part-viii-knee-panel-lights-vsa-mirror-etc-750880/ - Part 8: Knee Panel Lights (VSA, Mirror, etc)
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-part-ix-heated-seat-switches-755070/ - Part 9: Heated Seat Switches
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-100-diy-led-interior-part-x-cupholder-illumination-755388/ - Part 10: Cupholder Illumination!
The following 2 users liked this post by swoosh:
Sean S Thuok (08-15-2012), Trunk Monkey (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
I've got a question. What is this "303" stuff people are saying you should put on the dash?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM

http://www.detailedimage.com/303-M2/...-P12/16-oz-S1/
splew (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
^Thank you.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM

^^^ you're welcome
rockstar143 (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by leedogg
Re: the dashboard. Periodically re-moisturizing it with a (non alcohol based) conditioner + application of an SPF protector will do wonders for protecting that dash.
I wonder if this would have helped my cause. I didn't put anything on it as I could clearly see the depression of the airbag in the dash. I figured I'd just leave it so it didn't get worse. I've used that 303 Aerospace before, but can't remember if it has any SPF benefits. Any recommendations Leedogg??

Btw...thanks Swoosh
Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Dang Anil, you are one helpful mofo.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM

^^^ I try
Old 08-15-2012, 05:45 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
I wonder if this would have helped my cause. I didn't put anything on it as I could clearly see the depression of the airbag in the dash. I figured I'd just leave it so it didn't get worse. I've used that 303 Aerospace before, but can't remember if it has any SPF benefits. Any recommendations Leedogg??

Btw...thanks Swoosh
basically treat the dash like you would skin. moisturize and protect from the sun. Because you didnt moisturize it, it essentially shrunk, dried up and cracked. 303 aerospace protects BECAUSE it has SPF in it. I use a combination of Poorboy's Natural look and 303 without issue.

Last edited by leedogg; 08-15-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Never Again Will I Buy An Acura!