Sponsored by:

Negotiation Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 02:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negotiation Question

1) I'd like to know if the following method is likely to succeed:
I want a TL/Navi, so I am thinking of using CarsDirect for leverage and emailing the manager of the dealership, instead of going in person, and telling him in effect, "OK, CarsDirect is guaranteeing me the price of $33,920 including destination, so if you'd like my business, I propose to take $220 off of that and buy the car for $33,700. This seems reasonable to me, and if you agree, then I'd be more than happy to bypass the haggling, come in, and sign on the dotted line."
Do you think this kind of upfront offer based on a fair price derived from the CarsDirect price will elicit a response in the affirmative?

2) I would also like to understand what dealer holdback and the Consumer Reports wholesale price is. The information is as follows, as I found it from another posting:
Total Dealer Invoice.............. 32,120
Dealer Holdback.................... 1,040
C.R. Wholesale Price................ 31,080
In addition to what those figures mean, I'd like to know what significance they hold for bargaining purposes and whether it's reasonable to seek a price even lower than $33,700 (that includes destination).
Old 04-20-2004, 04:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pilot7x7
I want a TL/Navi, so I am thinking of using CarsDirect for leverage and emailing the manager of the dealership, instead of going in person, and telling him in effect, "OK, CarsDirect is guaranteeing me the price of $33,920 including destination, so if you'd like my business, I propose to take $220 off of that and buy the car for $33,700. This seems reasonable to me, and if you agree, then I'd be more than happy to bypass the haggling, come in, and sign on the dotted line."
Do you think this kind of upfront offer based on a fair price derived from the CarsDirect price will elicit a response in the affirmative?

2) I would also like to understand what dealer holdback and the Consumer Reports wholesale price is. The information is as follows, as I found it from another posting:
In addition to what those figures mean, I'd like to know what significance they hold for bargaining purposes and whether it's reasonable to seek a price even lower than $33,700 (that includes destination).
you can disregard part 2)...i've got my answers to that part
Old 04-20-2004, 04:46 AM
Advanced

Check other threads, depending on how much haggling you want to do you should be able to get a better price. I played all the local dealers against each other and got 300 under invoice.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I personally do not hold much stock in doing things over the phone or by email. I have found I can get a much better deal in person by dangling my checkbook in front of them rather than being a "potential" customer over the phone. No dealer is going to give a super low price to a faceless person. Face to face is best - offer $32,500 as your starting point - absolute max should be $33K.

Originally Posted by pilot7x7

Old 04-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TBone2004
I personally do not hold much stock in doing things over the phone or by email. I have found I can get a much better deal in person by dangling my checkbook in front of them rather than being a "potential" customer over the phone. No dealer is going to give a super low price to a faceless person. Face to face is best - offer $32,500 as your starting point - absolute max should be $33K.
You are absolutly correct! A live person in the dealership ready to buy will always get the best price. It looks like the best deals are out east. You guys are getting some pretty good deals. In TX, supply and demand is driving the price on the TL, most are selling at $1000 off. Navi units are in high demand here.

Good Luck Pilot!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

if you are willing to pay 33,700 for the car there are alot of dealerships who would roll with that price. my price was a little lower than that with no hassles. i just told them this is the max i was willing to pay and it was a done deal. turnersville in nj constantly advertises an internet price of 32,800 w/Navi. i have never dealt with them but there have been some happy customers on this board. check them out and see what's the deal with them.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Advanced

I had wanted to pay no more than 33K with Navi. With great agony and negotiations in February, the best I could do was about $33,600 for an April delivery from a PA dealer, after shopping around. Unless you go to Turnersville in NJ, which I've heard mixed things about, I don't know that you could get all the way down to 33K. They wouldn't even engage when I started with invoice plus a small profit, and that was back in Feb before all the Consumer Reports hype etc. I think if you get 33.7 that is a pretty good deal. Now that I have the car, I think even more that I got a lot of value for money (which I understand that even Calif. folk that paid MSRP think as well).
Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

It all depends how much running you are willing to do and how cool you stay while negotiating. I noticed that if you don't look desperate to get this car (even though inside you might be) you can definitely get a better deal at least here in NY. I bought my car in NY. The wait time was 2 weeks. The price I paid with Navi was $32,620. I had to play 2 Acura dealerships and also brought in the picture Audi Dealership saying that my father's friend works there and he'll give me a heck of a deal on a new Audi. After I got my car from them, my 4 friends are going to the same dealership to buy MDXs. SO, anyone need help in great deals in NY-I can help since now the know me pretty well there!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Is $200 really that big of a deal?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SniperProducer
It all depends how much running you are willing to do and how cool you stay while negotiating. I noticed that if you don't look desperate to get this car (even though inside you might be) you can definitely get a better deal at least here in NY. I bought my car in NY. The wait time was 2 weeks. The price I paid with Navi was $32,620. I had to play 2 Acura dealerships and also brought in the picture Audi Dealership saying that my father's friend works there and he'll give me a heck of a deal on a new Audi. After I got my car from them, my 4 friends are going to the same dealership to buy MDXs. SO, anyone need help in great deals in NY-I can help since now the know me pretty well there!
shoot you would have saved me some money when i was buying one. oh wells can't complain now. 32,620 is the best price i have seen so far. did that include all bs charges. obviously tax title and tags are not in that price but i assume destination and doc fees(bs) are in there.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

SniperProducer,
does your price of $32,650 include destination?
thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by caball88
if you are willing to pay 33,700 for the car there are alot of dealerships who would roll with that price. my price was a little lower than that with no hassles. i just told them this is the max i was willing to pay and it was a done deal. turnersville in nj constantly advertises an internet price of 32,800 w/Navi. i have never dealt with them but there have been some happy customers on this board. check them out and see what's the deal with them.
caball88,
$32,800 with destination? constantly advertised by turnersville acura? where? is that still available?
thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned

$32,620 is the price for the vehicle and destanation charges. On top of that I had to pay for:
1) License & Title fee - $45
2) N.Y. State inspection - $10
3) Dealer Fee (whatever that crap is) - $45
Taxes were obviously extra.
And that was it.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:41 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
So who's the lucky dealer?