3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 01:58 AM
Lastdra900n

need some help, what do you guys think?

so i added some neons, 2 under the dash 1 in the trunk, and the "rough start" problem has been magnified and acura is blaming the lights and ultimately me... any suggestions on what i should do or am i fu*ked
Old 02-28-2004, 10:58 PM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the neons are off when starting the car, then its not the neons thats the problem.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first off, why did you add neons? secondly, take them out and then have them look at it. they'll say that the neons are draining from the battery and making the car work harder to crank over.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by adam209
first off, why did you add neons?
Must be another one of those d*mn teenage TL drivers, don't get me started

Just do me a favor and don't wreck/total it anythime soon, I got sick over all the insurance rate jumps on my previous car due to all the spoiled kids wrecking theirs I was hoping this car may be a little different

Let the flames begin...
Old 02-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bdowell
Must be another one of those d*mn teenage TL drivers, don't get me started

Just do me a favor and don't wreck/total it anythime soon, I got sick over all the insurance rate jumps on my previous car due to all the spoiled kids wrecking theirs I was hoping this car may be a little different

Let the flames begin...

hey hey hey...i'm a damn teenage driver. and wouldn't you know it, i just had my car totaled:wow:
Old 02-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Racer

jeez why dont you pinstripe it, put more neon on and one of those stupid coffee can mufflers too? thats just ****ing stupid tacky. dont forget the racing seat, metal mats and flip out dvd head unit too. jesus christ some people have taste only in their mouth. oh and dont forget some jackass flames and 26 decals.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by digital_b
jeez why dont you pinstripe it, put more neon on and one of those stupid coffee can mufflers too? thats just ****ing stupid tacky. dont forget the racing seat, metal mats and flip out dvd head unit too. jesus christ some people have taste only in their mouth. oh and dont forget some jackass flames and 26 decals.
if he wants to put all those things on, he's entitled to. i just asked why he did it.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:01 AM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by digital_b
is everything ok with you? let him do what he wants its his car. if you dont like it get off the thread. this forum is for helping fellow TLers in problems and fixes not bashing them for what they like. and BTW i like neons too. got a problem?
Old 02-29-2004, 03:22 AM
Racer

TL is NOT a civic.

and i doubt its the neons
do what adam said
take them out and see if the problem still exists

i like neons too.....just think there isnt a need in the TL
Old 02-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Instructor

I'm far past my teen age years, but I think installing neons can be useful & add a special touch to the car if done properly.
I've seen pictures of this TL with blue neon sticks installed pretty far under the dash, hidden out of sight, to serve as footwell lights, they are wired thru a switch to the courtesy lights, so they light up when any door(s) open, but they are not on when the doors are closed (though they can be wired to the parking lights). This way it won't interfere with the starting circuitry; compliment nicely with the blue LED's in dash doard & overhead console. The switch in series disables this feature when you don't want the footwell lights. Similar situation for neon(s) in the trunk, or even under the hood, only on when the trunk &/or hood is open, switch disables this feature. They can provide useful lighting under the hood & additional lighting for the trunk (or replace the trunk light) & matching color to the blue (or other colors, indiv preference) lights/LED's.

I'm not sure your hard-start problem is related to your neon lights, but you might want to check your wiring. If the neons are first turned on while you start the car, they might create problems. They should only be on after the engine started, preferably wired thru a switch, &/or to your parking lights.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:24 AM
6th Gear

Funny you guys all dis us teenagers for fixing up a TL, first of all, it is a HONDA and besides that.....if you look around there is a lot of fixed up everything...u ever go to a import show and look at how many 30 + people are there, quite a few, and what do they have fixed up, BMW, MBZ, TL, AUDI all cars that are a lot of money...if its not your taste thats fine, but don't down it....i have a fixed up IS300 right now and u'd be supprised how many older people ask me about my car....u want to down something, down people who come on fourms to find out how to make there car better and then be a hypocrite.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Racer

hey hey hey...i'm a damn teenage driver. and wouldn't you know it, i just had my car totaled:wow:
good I am Gald. You have a disrespectful mouth towards women.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Racer

F*ckin Yay!!!!!!!
i am so pissed off right now!!! i hate stupid ass women drivers!!!!!!! some stupid b!tch just f*cked the hell out of my car with her pos american made truck! i was sitting at a f*cking stoplight, and this b!tch was on her f*cking cell phone and

See? Thats a potty mouth
Old 02-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Nicki
good I am Gald. You have a disrespectful mouth towards women.
so because, in your mind, i have a disrespectful mouth towards women, i deserved for my car to be totaled???
Old 02-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Lastdra900n

yea i'll admit adding the neons was a pretty stupid move... i did it to add to the blue guages and the blue ambient and yea.. im 17

the neons are attached to a switch so they don't turn on when the car starts up. acura is saying it messed up my cpu. oh they tested my battery and they said that wasn't a problem
Old 03-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Lastdra900n

well i have good news, the dealer is gonna replace the cpu for free, basically i argued that my dealer never told me not to make modifications and many people on this forum has experienced rough starts. well i guess i lucked out this time
Old 03-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: need some help, what do you guys think?

Originally posted by Lastdra900n
so i added some neons, 2 under the dash 1 in the trunk, and the "rough start" problem has been magnified and acura is blaming the lights and ultimately me... any suggestions on what i should do or am i fu*ked
You may be "fu*ked".

Did you do the installation yourself? If so, how did you power the neons? Neon lights need to establish a few thousand volts (depending on the gas & length of the tube) to get started. If you have the neons powered directly off ignition-controlled fuses, you may be straining the electical system more by asking it to get the arc going on the neon on top or the arc for your spark plugs.

If you had a "professional" install them, you're more at risk, because you have no idea what they have done to your car. They may have nicked some wiring, or powered off the wrong fuse, or who knows what? I have had more problems from "professional" installers than I have from my own installations.

You have an uphill battle with Acura & your dealer, my friend - and that's one reason that I won't make any serious non-dealer installed modifications to my car until after I'm out of warranty 7 years from now.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Lastdra900n
well i have good news, the dealer is gonna replace the cpu for free, basically i argued that my dealer never told me not to make modifications and many people on this forum has experienced rough starts. well i guess i lucked out this time not.
when you say rough starts

how rough are we talkin about
i noticed sometimes mine starts up rough ..but its not that big of deal..i mean its hardly noticable

is urs worse?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Lastdra900n

Re: Re: need some help, what do you guys think?

Originally posted by żGotJazz?
You may be "fu*ked".

Did you do the installation yourself? If so, how did you power the neons? Neon lights need to establish a few thousand volts (depending on the gas & length of the tube) to get started. If you have the neons powered directly off ignition-controlled fuses, you may be straining the electical system more by asking it to get the arc going on the neon on top or the arc for your spark plugs.

If you had a "professional" install them, you're more at risk, because you have no idea what they have done to your car. They may have nicked some wiring, or powered off the wrong fuse, or who knows what? I have had more problems from "professional" installers than I have from my own installations.

You have an uphill battle with Acura & your dealer, my friend - and that's one reason that I won't make any serious non-dealer installed modifications to my car until after I'm out of warranty 7 years from now.
yea it was done professionally so i knew i was in more trouble, but the dealer bought my argument which was basically many people i know have rough starts/im a teen/u guys never told me bout making mods/all the ratting and memory seat issues even though i dont have ratting problems. i juss complained about everything and he is going to replace my "cpu"(which he says that they messed up the wirings for the cpu) for free.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Lastdra900n

Originally posted by ravi
when you say rough starts

how rough are we talkin about
i noticed sometimes mine starts up rough ..but its not that big of deal..i mean its hardly noticable

is urs worse?
mine was barely noticable at first, but after i installed the neons it got a lot worst. somethings it didnt even start, had to try an average of 4 times
Old 03-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Racer

tlxlr8s:
no I dont 'got a problem'. what are you going to kick my ass? typical new yorker.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Instructor

Children!!!!!!

Let's all play together nicely. Do I have to take your TL away and punish you?