Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinion: '06 Acura Auto TL vs. 1st Gen TSX Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Need Opinion: '06 Acura Auto TL vs. 1st Gen TSX Manual

All right guys..need your opinion... I have ACM base 06 Auto TL with a 117k.. all belts have been done. ATF and 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches have been done since owning at 90k miles. REcently did OEM ATF fluid at 115k. I'm the second owner..only lowered on Tien Springs and Progress RSB. I do commute 65 miles a day round trip especially for you So Cal drivers who drive on the 91 Daily. (Irvine to Corona)

I've been really thinking of selling it and looking at 1st Gen TSX's in manual. I think i just really miss having a manual car and also something a little better on gas especially for my commutes. If I do end up selling it, I plan to just sell it & pick one up in cash. Dont really want to deal with car pmts at the moment. So, what do you guys think.. thanks...
Old 08-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
The mpg between the TL and TSX is only a 2mpg difference, according to various sites, real world varies of course. Considering they're so close in mpg, I don't think you'll notice a significant difference overall if you switch to a TSX. (Though I'm sure the TSX takes 87 fuel right?)

If you feel the TSX is a better fit for you then by all means go for it. Both are great cars that fit different people. I think what the TL offers is made up in the difference in mpg between the two personally.
The following users liked this post:
aboysua6 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I owned the TSX and now own a Type-S

Originally Posted by dezymond
The mpg between the TL and TSX is only a 2mpg difference, according to various sites, real world varies of course. Considering they're so close in mpg, I don't think you'll notice a significant difference overall if you switch to a TSX. (Though I'm sure the TSX takes 87 fuel right?)

If you feel the TSX is a better fit for you then by all means go for it. Both are great cars that fit different people. I think what the TL offers is made up in the difference in mpg between the two personally.
Sorry, but the TSX requires Premium Fuel as well.

I sold my 06 TSX to acquire my 07 Type-S

Here's my quick impressions between the 2

Performance wise the Type-S is hands down killer compared to the TSX but even the base TL will get a nod, it's V6 vs a V4. The old saying there's no replacement for displacement etc etc.

The interior build quality on the TSX was to a higher standard.

The interior ROOM however, again nod goes to the TL for being slightly more spacious.

Ergonomics of the interior controls and lighting, nod goes to the TSX imho.

Exterior styling, nod goes to the TL, especially the Aspec'd Base or Type-S either stock or Aspec'd.

Gas mileage was slightly better in the TSX, but not been too horrible so far - though to be fair I have barely driven my TL-S as it spent nearly 5 weeks at the dealer for various cosmetic and 1 mechanical repairs, and I took it in for all that work after having it home for only the weekend when I took delivery.

I'll be happy to answer any more specific questions in as much detail as I can, but I will say that I kept my TSX 100% stock so I can't answer mod related questions.

Hope this helps som.

Rev
The following 3 users liked this post by revolutn:
aboysua6 (08-18-2014), dezymond (08-18-2014), justnspace (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^awesome post, Rev!
aboysua6 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by revolutn
Sorry, but the TSX requires Premium Fuel as well.

I sold my 06 TSX to acquire my 07 Type-S

Here's my quick impressions between the 2

Performance wise the Type-S is hands down killer compared to the TSX but even the base TL will get a nod, it's V6 vs a V4. The old saying there's no replacement for displacement etc etc.

The interior build quality on the TSX was to a higher standard.

The interior ROOM however, again nod goes to the TL for being slightly more spacious.

Ergonomics of the interior controls and lighting, nod goes to the TSX imho.

Exterior styling, nod goes to the TL, especially the Aspec'd Base or Type-S either stock or Aspec'd.

Gas mileage was slightly better in the TSX, but not been too horrible so far - though to be fair I have barely driven my TL-S as it spent nearly 5 weeks at the dealer for various cosmetic and 1 mechanical repairs, and I took it in for all that work after having it home for only the weekend when I took delivery.

I'll be happy to answer any more specific questions in as much detail as I can, but I will say that I kept my TSX 100% stock so I can't answer mod related questions.

Hope this helps som.

Rev
Oh I thought it was just "recommended" premium. Had I gotten a TSX over the TL, I would've used the recommended fuel anyway. Best to not cheap out on type of fuel.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:16 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Quick version- don't do it, unless you REALLY want the TSX with MT (you're tired of the TL and want something different). The relatively minor gain in mpg isn't worth it and you likely won't know the maintenance history on the TSX you choose. Your car is I assume paid in full with all the maintenance done. Stick with what you know (AKA the devil you know is better than the one you don't). The price differential in gas would likely be fairly small between the 2 cars (meaning the price of gas per week between the 2 cars).

Last edited by erdoc48; 08-18-2014 at 06:18 PM.
aboysua6 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
Quick version- don't do it, unless you REALLY want the TSX with MT (you're tired of the TL and want something different). The relatively minor gain in mpg isn't worth it and you likely won't know the maintenance history on the TSX you choose. Your car is I assume paid in full with all the maintenance done. Stick with what you know (AKA the devil you know is better than the one you don't). The price differential in gas would likely be fairly small between the 2 cars (meaning the price of gas per week between the 2 cars).
Yes the car is paid in full (clean title of course)... I do have some Service History records, but not all. Reason why i did the Maintenance schedule. I even changed the front and side eng mounts as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Keep your car.
96SC4 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
^^i agree
You'll lose money, in the long run
If you really want manual transmission, sell your car.
But you'll be losing money. Any way you look at it.
aboysua6 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd keep the TL.

My brother has a 2004 TSX that used to belong to our father. It's an automatic because my father wanted an automatic so my mother could drive it (she can drive a manual but hates doing so). Fun car to drive, but if you're used to a TL, the first-generation TSX will feel like a comedown. It's smaller (it's essentially a rebadged European Accord) and it feels smaller. The engine is plenty strong and peppy, and I'd imagine it's even better with the manual. But the seats feel too small to me—the seat portion (where you park your butt) is notably shallower front to back than the TL's seats and it feels unsupportive to me.

Don't get me wrong, the first-generation TSX is nice, but the TL is much nicer. The most recent generation TSX is far more comparable to our TLs. I've had a few as service loaners and was really impressed with them, other than the annoying automatic gearboxes all the loaners have.
aboysua6 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:07 AM
08 TL

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Keep your car, you already know the maintenance history, the ups and downs of yours, the TSX is a nice car too but not as nice as the TL, cool thing bout the TSX is you can get more aftermarket parts....my