Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of a leather repair kit...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
In need of a leather repair kit...

So during my coilover install about half a year ago, while removing the backrest no one notified me (not the DIY guides anyways) that there is a very sharp metal stake protruding from underneath the backrest of the seat.

I removed the backrest and sat it onto the leather seat and dragged it out from the rear passenger door. After I removed the backrest, this was left....

Does anyone know of any reputable or good leather repair kits I can get for my taupe colored seats? Looking for something >$50. Was thinking about looking on eBay but decided to ask here first.

I know that spot will never look PERFECT, but I'm just simply looking for something that will take this eye sore away. Something that will make it a lot less noticeable.

In the state that it's currently in you can glance in my backseat standing outside the car and notice the rip. I'm looking for something that will hide it and will only be noticed if you are sitting in the back seat and taking a good close-up look at it.

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Hey bro sorry to hear!

Did you use DeathMetal's DIY?

I was EXTRA careful with the seats when I read:

Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Hey bro sorry to hear!

Did you use DeathMetal's DIY?

I was EXTRA careful with the seats when I read:
Sigh.... Maybe I did, Maybe I didn't. I really don't recall. If I did use his guide, shame on me for not fully reading.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah

Does anyone know of any reputable or good leather repair kits I can get for my taupe colored seats? Looking for something >$50. Was thinking about looking on eBay but decided to ask here first.

Any ideas?
Sorry to hear about the seats - that would really depress me. As for a kit - I don't know of any kits, but there are leather interior repair people that can fix something like this for ~$100 or so. They melt some color-matched vinyl into the crack, patch the two sides, then use an imprinted material to leave the appropriate texture. The result would be what you mentioned - from 2-3+ feet away you wouldn't see any repair.

I've seen Dent Wizard technicians perform this on used cars going for resale, but if you talk to a dealer's service department or any interior place in your city, I'm certain they will refer to you a repair person.
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
M3RKED

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DAMN! leather repair kits never worked for me. i tried them twice. ended up having to get a new interior
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
So during my coilover install about half a year ago, while removing the backrest no one notified me (not the DIY guides anyways) that there is a very sharp metal stake protruding from underneath the backrest of the seat.

I removed the backrest and sat it onto the leather seat and dragged it out from the rear passenger door. After I removed the backrest, this was left....

I know that spot will never look PERFECT, but I'm just simply looking for something that will take this eye sore away. Something that will make it a lot less noticeable.

In the state that it's currently in you can glance in my backseat standing outside the car and notice the rip. I'm looking for something that will hide it and will only be noticed if you are sitting in the back seat and taking a good close-up look at it.

Any ideas?
You can take it to an upholstery shop and they can "repair" it for around that price. Basically they take a glue type patch and put it under the torn leather. They put the leather back together by holding it from the back and activate the glue via heat. Then they can melt some plastic/liquid leather stuff ontop of it to help it look a lot better and to keep the tears from being that visible.

Another option is to have them just take off the seat cover and just replace that section of leather. That's going to be a bit more, like 100-200 dollars since the leather will need to be taken off the cushion and then restitched on.
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM
M3RKED

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
You can take it to an upholstery shop and they can "repair" it for around that price. Basically they take a glue type patch and put it under the torn leather. They put the leather back together by holding it from the back and activate the glue via heat. Then they can melt some plastic/liquid leather stuff ontop of it to help it look a lot better and to keep the tears from being that visible.

Another option is to have them just take off the seat cover and just replace that section of leather. That's going to be a bit more, like 100-200 dollars since the leather will need to be taken off the cushion and then restitched on.

That's what I had done (the glue) and it looks like a weird seam and ended up comming apart. Doesn't help that the TL has all those dots in the leather. I'd go with a panel replacement.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i used one in my monte that was ok, but it was a dark gray leather so it was easier to match. it also had holes in the leather. it wasnt perfect but it held up, and it was the driver seat so it got a bunch of abuse from me "using" it daily. not sure brand though. i know it was a glue and some colored paints that you mix with the glue. they had pieces of fabric that you placed behind the tear and then you glue the leather to the material and hold it together until it dried. i remember the hardest part being the whole holding it together part. the leather was pretty tight and it was hard to stretch the two sides so they could meet. good luck!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blkaspec
i used one in my monte that was ok, but it was a dark gray leather so it was easier to match. it also had holes in the leather. it wasnt perfect but it held up, and it was the driver seat so it got a bunch of abuse from me "using" it daily. not sure brand though. i know it was a glue and some colored paints that you mix with the glue. they had pieces of fabric that you placed behind the tear and then you glue the leather to the material and hold it together until it dried. i remember the hardest part being the whole holding it together part. the leather was pretty tight and it was hard to stretch the two sides so they could meet. good luck!
Do you remember where you purchased it from?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it'll probably cost you ~300 given the fact that it went into the perferated leather, that whole section will have to be replaced, they can probably fix the non perf. part.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
My dog ripped my seat, its not perfect but so far the autozone repair kit is holding up.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
My dog ripped my seat, its not perfect but so far the autozone repair kit is holding up.

Looks pretty good; especially considering that it was a DIY kit from Autozone!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
This is the exact kit

It was like 5 bucks so i figured what the hell the worst case scenario is I have to get the seat repaired anyway.

I followed the directions, it was a basic clear glue and a wax paper deal, to strengthen the area I added a piece of scrap leather under the rip and put the glue on that and then laid the rip back together.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you remember where you purchased it from?

Sorry, I dont. It was years ago and I am not sure it was even me that purchased it. So I guess not that helpful. But these kits are at least worth a try, at least for the short term. And since its the backseat it probably wont get as much wear and tear after the repair, so it should hold up pretty well.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
This is the exact kit

It was like 5 bucks so i figured what the hell the worst case scenario is I have to get the seat repaired anyway.

I followed the directions, it was a basic clear glue and a wax paper deal, to strengthen the area I added a piece of scrap leather under the rip and put the glue on that and then laid the rip back together.
Wow that looks good! Was your leather seat ripped as bad as mine was?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we able to put a seat cover on the seats?
Except those which would cost us several hundreds.

I mean universal ones