Need Help Installing Type S Splash guards.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Smile Need Help Installing Type S Splash guards.

Ok guys, so I just bought my second 3g, except this time its a WDP Type S. I absolutely love the thing but it came with no mud flaps . Despite mixed reviews, I actually love the way the flaps look on the car esp since they are painted.

Does anyone have any instructions or DYI's on how to install the flaps??? Will i have to drill the rear bumper at all?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys and sorry if this was already addressed with another thread.
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:24 PM
Safety Car

I agree the OEM painted splash gaurds looks real nice on the TL and almost give it a slight ground effects appearance I think. Installing these are incredibly simple. Only tool you need is a phillips screw driver.
I dont have a link to a DIY, but for the fronts simple undo the 3 or 4 screws behind the tire (forgot how many there are, then place the splash gaurd in place and re-install the screws. There is a little tab on the gaurd which catches the side skirt under the car. So make sure you place the splash gaurd correctly so that lip goes on top of the side skirt. It doesnt do much but ensure the inner most part of the splash gaurd stays in place.

As for the rears for the most part its the same thing. The rears however come with a small metal bracket that the splash gaurd attaches to since it needs to be furthur out from where the screws are. So remove the original screws then install the metal bracket, then the splash gaurd attaches to that. There may also be a tab you need to hook onto the lower bumper similar to what I was explaining for the fronts with the lower side skirt. Once you start installing them its 100% self explanatory. You will however need to jack the car up to gain enough clearance to get the screws out and re-installed. Jacking the car up should be enough or you could remove the wheels all together doesnt matter.

So not only do the OEM painted splash gaurds looks great but they are functional as well and really do help to keep the side of your car from getting all sorts of crap on it. Also protects your rear quarter panels from chips. Luckily they were installed on my car when it was brand new.

Hope this helps.

James
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks JTS87Z28. For the rear ones, are you sure I won't have to drill any holes into the bottom of the bumper?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rzarezai
Thanks JTS87Z28. For the rear ones, are you sure I won't have to drill any holes into the bottom of the bumper?

Thanks
you won't need a drill, just the the bolt and the screw driver,they are so simple to install. Where are you located? I can do it for you.
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:38 PM
Safety Car

Thanks
100% sure. I have installed them before into a previous Type S I have had. Simply remove the two screws, replace them with the metal bracket in place then install the splash gaurd and your done. Now that I think of it there might be a screw on the bottom of the bumper that you attach as well I cant remember. Either way though no drilling. Takes 30 minutes at most for all four gaurds. Also, for the fronts you can install them by turning your front wheels to access and get a screw driver in there. The rears you either have the jack the car up or remove the wheels. Unless you have a super short screw driver.

James
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:51 PM
Instructor

I got the OEM splash guards on my car and I will say they give it sort of a ground effect look does anyone else feel this way? Reason being I was looking at an aspec kit, but should I just leave the mudguards on and call it a day?
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you guys. Last question, does the mud flap kit come with all the brackets and screws I need or do I need to buy them separately??

This seems really easy, can't wait to get em.
Old 07-27-2011 | 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Thank you guys. Last question, does the mud flap kit come with all the brackets and screws I need or do I need to buy them separately??

This seems really easy, can't wait to get em.
The kit comes with everything you need. I believe the kit re-uses the screws that are on the car, then comes with additional ones that you need for the rear gaurds. Only other thing I can think of and this is also self explanatory, but make sure you clean the painted surface on the car before you install the gaurds. They do butt up against the paint. Not that you would ever take them off or anything, but just a smart thing to do either way.
Old 07-27-2011 | 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
, but make sure you clean the painted surface on the car before you install the gaurds. They do butt up against the paint. Not that you would ever take them off or anything, but just a smart thing to do either way.
They will/can eventually wear a line in the paint .... what I did was install them then draw a pencil line outlining them then removed them and put 1 strip of electrical tape covering the line by 1/16" then reinstall. It won't be noticable on a dark coler and barely on a light one .. looks like a shadow. This will save the paint. More applicable if you put them on for winter etc.

Clear paint protection film will also work and won't be noticable if you have a light colored car.