3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help. dealership scratched my fender but deny's it.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
'07 NBP TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help. dealership scratched my fender but deny's it.

Here's the story. Dropped off the car at the dealership to have some work done. When I picked it up i briefly went around it and everything looked ok. Then I was at the gas station and I found this scratch on the fender. Went back to the dealer and they just deny that they did it and refused to do anything about it.
Earlier when we were going over the car(when i brought the car in), he asked about how the surface looks off and I mentioned about the clear film I installed. Later when I went back and pointed out the scratch on the film, he just tells me that I said its suppose to look like that when we first went over it. Even if it was the case, he couldn't explain the chip on the edge. At first he said it must be dirty and when they washed the car, it showed up. But I told them not to wash my car (other guy acknowledged that they didn't wash the car). He also insisted that he went over the car carefully. Then how can he miss that section where the paint is completely chipped away. He found this small piece of paint that got chipped away near my back and this chip is a lot bigger than that. Also he said that the mark on the film doesn't look fresh and looks like there's wax in there. But if you run something over the film, unless its hard, you will only leave a small indentation. If it wasn't for the film, I know the scratch will be very visible and they'll have to take care of it.
I wash and wax my car almost every week and quick detail it very often. I know where there are imprefection and I'm positive the scratch wasn't there in the first place. what can I do now?
I was at the Sierra dealership in Alhambra, CA.
I've attached some pictures.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
usc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's quite simple.

Service manager/agent usually does a visual on the car before they pull it into the back. They have you sign a piece of paper noting the damages/defects. This is to protect themselves.

Just dig up that piece of paper and show them, "See, you guys didn't mark down scratches on my fender during inspections." And that should be good enough.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
'07 NBP TL

he did bring out the sheet and my whole bumper was circled but not the fender. He just push the problem away saying that I somehow acknowledge it verbally that he did mention the problem but he did not put it on paper. If there was a problem, he should've marked it.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:50 PM
usc
Racer

There you have it. That piece of paper is your proof. You acknowledge there are problems with the bumper and the fender is fine. Dealer circling the bumper shows whatever's on the bumper was there prior to you handing the keys over to the dealer. But he didn't indicate anything was wrong w/ the fender.

If you had to take this to small claims court, you would win.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That stinks.

They should have used a mat

I always wash my car and then take pictures of areas where a shop is going to work on my car for this very reason.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM
usc
Racer

I say just keep pursuing this (but don't get all hostile on them). Ask to speak to the service manager. If that doesn't work, then the owner of the dealership. And then file a complaint with Acura HQ. While doing all this, document what you did and the date/time you've spent on pursuing this matter.

Because if need be, when you've exhausted all your options, you can then tell them, "I'll see you guys in court." That way, you have your piece of paper documenting specific days and times you've had to spend trying to get this issue resolved. So that in court, you can ask not only for the fender to be repaired, but also time lost from work, part of your phone bill, and additional compensation for them screwing with you in the first place.

That piece of paper is key, however. So DO NOT lose your copy and do not alter it in any way, shape, or form. As long as only the bumper is marked and nothing on the fender was checked, then the truth shall set you free.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 PM
'07 NBP TL

It was the service manager who went over my car and then he handed the paper work over to some other guys. When I went back he came out to talk to me and he was the one saying that the scratch was already there and stuff. The whole conversation was with him. The guy who helped me with the paper work was just standing next to us listening.
I think i'll have to contact acura but one problem is that they have the sheet with the markings. they never gave me a copy. I don't want to go back just to ask for it. I have to bring the car back again for another service and i'm scared.

jayunsplanet-i'll remember that next time. such a hassle.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
usc
Racer

Which dealer did you go to?

I know when I brought the car into Cerritos Acura to get my headlamp changed, they checked the car, marked up what they saw, I signed it and was handed the customer copy immediately.

Well, you're SoL'd if you don't get that paper before someone alters it.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Racer

take it to the general manager
Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 PM
TL SL ML :)

THIS is the problem with buying an Acura, too many (myself included) have issues with their local Acura dealers regarding a whole variety of issues...its PATHETIC, it seems to be the only "luxury" car brand across the board having these type of customer service issues
Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM
'07 NBP TL

I went to Sierra Acura in Alhambra, CA
I have to go in next week again to have my sunroof fixed so I'll see if I can talk to the general manager then.
I'll also file a complaint to Acura.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
'07 NBP TL

Also if I were to file a complaint to Acura, is there a e-mail or number I should use? Do I call their Acura Client Service ((800) 382-2238)?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Intermediate

I am really sorry about the drama and the scratch. It can probably be buffed out with some scratch x. Try it on your own and if you cant get it out try a local body shop. I will be honest. service department treatment is why I purchased 2 G35's and a GS350. acura service is deffinetelly in the bottom. Dont get me wrong the TL is a solid car but you dont get a loaner for any visit and the dealer tends to argue with you when it comes to what is "normal", or they tend to check things instead of replacing parts. Lexus will give you a choice of 3 loaners at any time for anything needed, including an oil change. THere is no arguing. I had a local infinti dealership scratch my g sedan twice and both times they took care of it.No arguing or denial. I got home ,saw the scratch, called the manager, and the next day they brought a loaner to my office and took mine away. Thats service. I wish acura would raise the level of service at the dealerships. They make world class cars, but sometimes I feel liek I am servicing a econobox when I take it in.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
did you look at that scratch, that isnt getting buffed out, and scratch out is a joke, unless we are talking about a clearcoat spiderweb or swirl mark...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by blazinginder
THIS is the problem with buying an Acura, too many (myself included) have issues with their local Acura dealers regarding a whole variety of issues...its PATHETIC, it seems to be the only "luxury" car brand across the board having these type of customer service issues
I have had nothing but stellar service from my local Acura dealership. I doubt I'm the exception. Are there bad service departments out there? Sure, but I doubt that bad service is only associated with Acura across the board.

Edit- no, I don't own shares....
Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Before I got my acura I asked them about complimentary car rentals when they service my car... the guy said they don't do rentals, they have loaners...
Old 09-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Porkipine
I went to Sierra Acura in Alhambra, CA
I have to go in next week again to have my sunroof fixed so I'll see if I can talk to the general manager then.
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your experience. I took my car into Sierra Acura to have the PS hose and wiper motor recalls done- the service writer and a couple of the other staff seemed pretty professional.

However, a local body shop's truck backed into my TL's bumper at Sierra while I was waiting to get checked in. Fortunately no damage, but the service writer was as surprised as much as I was when we watched it happen- he had just finished doing the walk-around...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
'07 NBP TL

The staff was pretty professional and nice. They treated me well last time (first time there) when I got my car serviced that's why I decided to have my recall done there. Because of this, I'm actually afraid to go back to have my sunroof fixed.
Now I noticed that my aftermarket alarm doesn't work anymore (no audio, just lights flashing). Also one of tab that clips the plastic piece in the engine bay above the strut bar is broken/gone. I'm goin to call them regarding these two issues now but i kno they won't do anything about it.