3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to buy extended warranty, who else has?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need to buy extended warranty, who else has?

my 07 tls is almost at 50,000 miles and i'm looking at buying the extended warranty. what kind of deals have you guys gotten? the local dealer told me a price of $1868 for another 4yrs/48,000miles.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For some reason I've been thinking my warranty was 3yr/36,000 miles... I looked it up after reading this thread and it is 50,000 miles. Holy shit thanks nuttcase! I am also interseted in an answer for nuttcase's question.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
I got one from carchex for $2000- it lasts until about 150K miles and I had 91K when I bought it. I think its 4 or 5 years too. Im not really happy with them cause they denied my transmission claim, but I think it had a lot to do with the shop I took it to. My tranny works, it just acts a little weird sometimes and shifts irregularly. The shop told me the guy carchex sent out to inspect the car was drunk and he smelled like beer. I wasnt happy about that.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Third party warranties are worthless IMO especially for the TL. Once you keep up with the regular maintenance schedule you should be fine. If you are the original owner of the car, you know how well it has been maintained and an extended warranty in that case is not really necessary. For the OP, are you getting an Acura extended warranty? If so, I'd consider it just for peace of mind but not for $1800.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
this may be way after the fact...if you have geico insurance they have mechanical breakdown insurance as part of their coverage. only catch is you have to get it within 15 months or 15K miles of owning the car and be the first owner. its fairly inexpensive (~$70/yr x 7yrs = $490, add a $250 deduct(if repair needed) = $740) so one major repair and it pays for itself. the coverage (they claim) is better than the extended warranty the manufacturer offers. i have it and didn't know it. good thing my service advisor asked me. my front axle is wearing (at 50K, 05 MT) and are going to try and get it covered. he told me if i had the acura EW, it would be covered. coverage is the same as acura EW. 7yr/100K (from initial date). hoping this might hlp a few others out there if you have geico.

be careful of the 3rd party EW places...a lot of them are scams. you'll have coverage, but they can deny anything and claim anything while you're left with the bill. avoid the assholes at stoprepairbills.com. its a total scam and totally overpriced. do the research and you'll see that many of the 3rd party EW companies are in it to scam your money. IMO if your car hits of 100K, most components of the car would be considered "normal wear and tear" and not really covered under EW. granted that is what the warranty company may claim. we all own acuras/hondas and they are pretty reliable cars if maintained. in the end its up to you to decide whether its worth it or not. most of the time for any car (except maybe domestic vehicles and few foreign makes) the EW isn't worth the money. good luck.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=nuttcase21;12472545]my 07 tls is almost at 50,000 miles and i'm looking at buying the extended warranty. what kind of deals have you guys gotten? the local dealer told me a price of $1868 for another 4yrs/48,000miles.[/QUOTE

That price is ridiculous. I paid $1600 for the 4year 48000 mile extended warranty for my car almost 4 years ago and regret doing it. Reason being. I have not had to use that warranty 1 single time. That $1600 would have bought a nice exhaust system. I could have upgraded the sound system a bit which is weak in our cars. Do what you want, but you have a good car, and its the third year of the 3gen TL so nearly all of the annoying issues (There weren't many) were already addressed by that point.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
with the 1800, you should keep it in savings and use it only if a something goes wrong, otherwise if u dont have to use it your out nothing. rather than getting a warranty and dumping 1800 into it and never having to use the warranty ... its what i would do
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Extended warranty is good insurance. See my "80,000 mile" thread.

I bought out 2 leases the SAME day - 2004 MDX and 2005 TL. Both were almost out of factory warranty. Both extended warranties were around $1800 each, and both have paid for themselves within 2 years.

Maybe if I didn't have car payments it would be a different issue, but I wanted that insurance that if something broke, I wouldn't be paying repairs AND car payment, other than regular maintenance.

Insurance, warranties etc are a pain, until you need to use them.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
I had an extended warranty (aftermarket) on my old Silverado SS and I got well over my money out of it. That had a lot to do with me being the mechanic at the shop that was working on it so I could claim anything I wanted... haha
Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
What about certified preowned Acura warranty

7yr 100k miles powertrain warranty
5 yr 62k miles bumper to bumper warranty

So i guess its a better deal buying a Acura CPO rather than a brand new ?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Intermediate

I bought my Acura Care 8 yrs, 120,000 miles, zero ded, for just under $1300 from my dealer for my 2007 type S when it was new about 3 1/2 yrs ago. Have not had to use it yet as car is till under 4yr/50K original factory warranty, But I believe it is the Best piece of mind. I would suggest to call several Acura dealers in your area and talk to the Finance Manager and ask them how much they would be willing to sell you the Acura Care. Don't setlle for third party warranties. Just look at Warranty Gold, they sold thousands of policies then went belly up. They were huge.

Manufacturers's backed warranties or nothing else...Just my 2 cents.

h.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Instructor

The price of the warranty goes up every year as time goes by.
My 2006 TL is 2 weeks away from exactly 4 years after service date (Nov. 27, 2006) and 5000km away from the 80,000km limit.

If I had known the price would go up, I would have considered bargaining for the extended warranty alot earlier.

I managed to get 7 yr / 130,000km extended warranty for $1588.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was a believer in extended warranties, but I lost out big time on my TL. I purchased a car from the first “large production run” of 2004 6MTs back in the fall of 2003 so I thought the extended warranty was a good idea. Now at 105,000 miles I had ZERO repairs on the extended warranty.

In my 95 Legend 6-speed coupe I had several repairs on the extended warranty and was glad I purchased it.

In my 98 RL I broke even on the extended warranty as I had a few repairs under the extended warranty.

Bottom line is that the cars today are much more reliable and I would not recommend purchasing an extended warranty.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nuttcase21
my 07 tls is almost at 50,000 miles and i'm looking at buying the extended warranty. what kind of deals have you guys gotten? the local dealer told me a price of $1868 for another 4yrs/48,000miles.
I purchased an extended warranty online from here:

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/

When I tried to give the local dealer the opportunity to price match, they said it was a great deal and it was BELOW their cost.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Extended warranties are a scam! My friends dad is a lawyer that defends these guys....basically their business is to deny almost every claim until you fight it out with them in small claims court. Most people dont bother. Seriously, it is a form of insurance but the rules for payout are much more grey.

People, this is an acura. If you take good care of it and do most preventative work, you should be fine. Think about it- are you going to pay 3K for major repairs on this car? Probably not.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an extended warranty with Mercury. I would highly recommend them.

I paid about $1300 and they have already put out almost $6000 In claims including my transmission and didnt ask any questions. All the work was done at the Crown Acura Dealer of Clearwater.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 AM
6th Gear

I got my Acura from a Ford Dealer and got a 7yr/125k miles Ford Extended Service Plan backed by Ford Motors for $1950.

As I understand it you can get a Ford ESP for most cars as long as you are still under the original manufacturers warranty.

More info on the Ford ESP.
http://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Cont...r/Page/ESPPage
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Most extended warranties are a joke. Bankroll your own and you will be ahead over time. Companies wouldn't be selling them if they didn't come out ahead.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duffduffxx
Extended warranties are a scam! My friends dad is a lawyer that defends these guys....basically their business is to deny almost every claim until you fight it out with them in small claims court. Most people dont bother. Seriously, it is a form of insurance but the rules for payout are much more grey.

People, this is an acura. If you take good care of it and do most preventative work, you should be fine. Think about it- are you going to pay 3K for major repairs on this car? Probably not.
This would be true if the car was purchased new but when buying a used car like in my case I was glad that i got one... I did my research before purchasing the EW and wouldn't you know I ended up using it... After $6000 they paid to fix my car I would say that Mercury is a legit. company.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
i got my acuracare warranty for peace of mind. will i ever need it? i hope not. if i do need it, am i glad i got it? yup.

it's only an extra $20 a month on top of my payments. these cars are pretty bulletproof if maintained properly, but you never know what could go wrong. electrical shit is expensive, my buddy has a tsx and his nav unit fried randomly, he's shit out of luck and ended up paying out of pocket. if that happens to me, i'm good. plus i got mine at a pretty fair price. jmo.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
TLtrigirl,

how long have you had the MBI with Geico? Probably not long, because you would know that the cost rises every six months when your premium renews. I had it for my 03 MDX and by the time the 7 years ran out, I had two deductibles totaling $500.00, adding that to the cost over the 7 years and the total I paid was more than what it would have cost me to get an Acuracare warranty when I bought the MDX new. If MBI premiums stayed level, then it would be a hell of a deal, but they don't, and Geico will not tell you that they rise over time. IMHO, MBI is not what it is cracked up to be cost wise, and if you don't follow the rules, i.e., call them before your dealer works on a warranty related item on your car, Geico will not pay for it. And sometimes Geico demands that the car be inspected by an authorized agent to insure the work is a warranty item, so you have to wait on them to do that before you can fix the problem.

Acuracare overall is better.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by ayanomich
TLtrigirl,

how long have you had the MBI with Geico? Probably not long, because you would know that the cost rises every six months when your premium renews. I had it for my 03 MDX and by the time the 7 years ran out, I had two deductibles totaling $500.00, adding that to the cost over the 7 years and the total I paid was more than what it would have cost me to get an Acuracare warranty when I bought the MDX new. If MBI premiums stayed level, then it would be a hell of a deal, but they don't, and Geico will not tell you that they rise over time. IMHO, MBI is not what it is cracked up to be cost wise, and if you don't follow the rules, i.e., call them before your dealer works on a warranty related item on your car, Geico will not pay for it. And sometimes Geico demands that the car be inspected by an authorized agent to insure the work is a warranty item, so you have to wait on them to do that before you can fix the problem.

Acuracare overall is better.
well i've had MBI since '05. not sure how the premium has risen...though i know my payments every 6 mos have not gone up or down any substantial amount over the last 5 years. as far as the "rules" i took my car into the dealer today and they took care of the rest. my SA called geico and submitted my claim. geico called me to verify the claim and then spoke with my SA directly to take care of all the details. geico authorized the repair immediately without inspection (since its not really something that can be inspected for wear considering it was more of a feel and hear thing). geico called me to tell me what was going to happen ie they pay their part and i pay my deductible. that's it. done. my SA told me what was going to happen before geico called me back. i understand i was told that a geico guy may have to go inspect the car if they so choose just like any claim (for MBI or collision). if you get the work done at the dealer then the upside is that geico may trust (i use the term loosely) the dealer, but you also get a loaner while you wait for the car to be fixed. so waiting isn't in issue if you have a loaner i'd rather they get it right than have them rush. i'll be getting my ride back tomorrow (the work was finished this afternoon, but my SA wanted to make sure the shop foreman did a road test in the morning (during non-rush hour) to make sure everything is ok, i told them to do what they had to do to make sure everything is right). i have a loaner, so its not that big of an inconvenience. this is my first experience with geico MBI so i'm just sharing to give others options.

depending on the price of acuracare, then yes it might be a better deal. you also avoid the hassle of going through a 3rd party payor. but like others have said....EW on a honda/acura...might be a waste b/c typically these cars don't really break.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 11-15-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CG's 3GTL
This would be true if the car was purchased new but when buying a used car like in my case I was glad that i got one... I did my research before purchasing the EW and wouldn't you know I ended up using it... After $6000 they paid to fix my car I would say that Mercury is a legit. company.
Good to know....maybe it would be good to keep a running list of good an bad warranty companies.

BAD: Zurich

GOOD: Mercury
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my TL in July with an extended warranty for 5K. Is that too much? It lasst through 80,000 miles/3 yrs. Warranty came with LoJack, bumper to bumper coverage of every part. Paint and wheels are covered.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Suprstar
I bought my TL in July with an extended warranty for 5K. Is that too much? It lasst through 80,000 miles/3 yrs. Warranty came with LoJack, bumper to bumper coverage of every part. Paint and wheels are covered.
I'm not an insurance expert, but $5,000 for only 3 years? I'm gonna say you got taken advantage of. The extended warranty for my '05 was quoted at around $1600 for 3 years.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts

please tell me that's a typo...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Bought my tl in dec 08. Had the 3rd party ext wrnty offered to me at a discount since i was buying 2 cars from them. $50 deduct, bumper to bumper covg, 5 yr, 60k miles for $1100. So far its been used to replace both my front lower control arms 2 weeks ago ($1k worth of work for $50, plus i had to pay for align another $60) at my local acura dealer. Also my auto belt tensioner went bad a few months ago. This was also covered under my wrnty. just a $50 deduct and that was around $250 i believe. So at this point its paid for itself. Best luck ive ever had with a 3rd party wrnty, have had them b4 and they were absolute crap!

Got the same wrnty on my wifes 02 mdx, few month ago the egr valve went bad... wrnty company paid for it as well and the acura dlr replaced it.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

After your factory warrenty

Every aftermarket warrenty is different. Even different Acura dealers sell different warrenties. I can tell you this. The Acura dealership I work at uses the only AAA Better Business Bureau rated warrenty company. You do not get this but denying claims. First thing you should do is reseach the company and how many complaints they have, this is probably just as important if not more important then the price. Wouldn't you rather buy a warrenty that will acually fix the problem without a hastle and you are sure it will fix the problem. If you are interested in an extended warrenty you can email me at rhensley@drivehubler.com and I can give you quotes for our warrenty which we can sell to anyone. We just Fed-Ex the paperwork and the prices range from $1600 to $2200.00 and what is really nice is if you sell the car with the warrenty we sell you can even get money back if it is still under the extened warrenty.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan000
For some reason I've been thinking my warranty was 3yr/36,000 miles... I looked it up after reading this thread and it is 50,000 miles. Holy shit thanks nuttcase! I am also interseted in an answer for nuttcase's question.
They told me mine was 5/or 70k which ever came first.... :/ do different dealers give different warranties?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Stealerships... and then they want to know why people hate car shopping.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought mine from my dealership and had them beat the price I got from Curry Acura Care.

http://www.curryacuracare.com/

I think I was quoted 1800+ and ended up at 1300 something. Mine came with TLC and a $50 deductible if I had to use it at any other shop other than my dealer. So far, I've been able to use the towing service once, the extended warranty twice. My last claim was for my sun roof motor dying. Would've cost about $650, but I guess I'm glad I paid $1300 for it. Oh and the other item was a leak somewhere that came out to maybe $200. My main concern was the electrical systems.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

As you see... many folks here have different opinions about extended warranties. I'm with the crowd who are believers of extended warranties. I like having the peace of mind, especially with the pricey electronic items.

If you decided to take the plunge, I'd defnitely stay away from the aftermarket warranties and go for the AcuraCare. Shop around now as dealerships set their own prices. Also, keep in mind that some dealerships will try to steer you toward an aftermarket warranty. When I was shopping for HondaCare for my wife's CR-V, one dealer told me that it wasn't available after 2 years and that the aftermarket warranty was "so much better".

I paid $1300 for my AcuraCare in Sept 2009 that added 4 years/48000 miles. At the time my car had 49,800 miles.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath

please tell me that's a typo...
Not a typo dude. I paid more like $4200. From the responses I saw in this thread I decided to cancel it effective immediately. Was it the right decision?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Instructor

I had a dealership also beat curry acura last december 2009.I have a 2006 tl with 34k miles. I purchased a Acura care 5/60k with 0 ded for 1200 and 0 financing for 12 months. Peace of
mind.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Not a typo dude. I paid more like $4200. From the responses I saw in this thread I decided to cancel it effective immediately. Was it the right decision?
YES. While it seems like a lot of people have had positive experiences with warranties on here, I reverberate that most people will not have the same success. From my own experience and from lawyers that work with these companies, they are in the business of making money, not paying out every claim you make.

And again, this is an Acura, not a German car. From my experience, you shouldn't need to spend 4K in repairs in the first 100,000 miles. Sure, some get unlucky, but keep your machine well oiled and you should be OK.

Even if you end up paying 4K in repairs, it is the same as getting the warranty.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I think the safest extended warranty to get is the Acura one. I paid $1200 for it and covered till 105k. I'm gonna make sure I make use of it well.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

hmm after having my geico warranty work done...another thought on the EW is that if you modify your car that is not factory spec, the likelihood of your EW covering certain parts, may be nullified. so be forewarned.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
thanks, TLtrigirl for your experience with Geico. I remember calling them and asking why the MBI premium kept rising, was told as the car gets older, more things happen, yada, yada,.......that's the way it goes, but it's all good now. GEICO for me is still the best insurance company around, always been there and responsive when I needed them. Just don't want the MBI anymore.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Question...

How does Acura's standard warranty and extended warranty affect/work with mods?

Does it void anything?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skplex
Question...

How does Acura's standard warranty and extended warranty affect/work with mods?

Does it void anything?

Thanks.
Oh it sure as shit can... Just before my acura wrnty went out i took in for some minor repairs, turns out that since i installed a CAI, accord fogs, removed engine covers, changed interior lights to LED, added the 07+ navi, type s front brakes etc... the Service MGR noticed all this and denied any future repairs for wrnty and even took pics and sent to ACURA corp and the guy there red flagged my VIN so that no dealer in the country would honor the wrnty on my car. Glad it only had about 1200 miles left on it. Now i have a 3rd party extended wrnty so i can and have had a couple things fixed by the same acura dlr. IE, both fron lower control arms about 2-3 weeks ago, and the auto belt tensioner 2 months ago and i have gotten a loaner of my choice every time!

Quick Reply: need to buy extended warranty, who else has?