Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Transmission Fluid!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Transmission Fluid!!

Backstory, I have a 2006 TL w/ 73,XXX on the clock. Since I have over 60K on it I planned on introducing the Redline D4 and Type F over the next two months.

This past weekend I did the 3rd and 4th pressure switches and had planned on doing this first of the 3X3. But in checking my fluid, I noticed it's looking dirty, so I planned on doing a D4 drain and fill followed by a Racing F drain and fill. But when I checked on the fluid I ordered, I quickly realized I forgot to order the D4, I only ordered the Racing F.

Being the the fluid is looking dirty (not burnt, still red, but dirty), I want to do at least the two drain and fills now, but I don't have the D4.

I know the Z1 is not the best, but I figured it would do in a pinch as I'd like to take the car on a trip this weekend for the holiday. But being there's not Acura dealer around me, I called some local Amsoil dealers to get some of their ATF Synthetic fluid, but no luck there eithers, so I called the local Honda dealership to see if they carried Z1.

They have ATF DW-1 and told me I could use that. So my question (finally), Can I use this? If so, it would be short term- what would be the drawback other than lesser quality than Redline?

Again, I don't plan on it being in the vehicle long. I have already ordered more D4 and Racing Type F and will do the first drain and fill as soon as the fluid arrives. I figure the DW-1, if compatible, would be better than the dirty fluid. And I have even driven the car since I saw the dirty fluid- It's literally sitting in the garage.

If this were any other vehicle, I'd feel confident driving it with the slightly dirty fluid, but given potential issues with the transmission and fluid, I'd rather not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by bkwill; 11-22-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
you have a long holiday trip coming up and that's why you want to replace the fluid beforehand? is the fluid real dirty?

if that's the case, go for it. replace it with the DW-1 and then when you get your redline gear in...go ahead and do the 3x3.
The following users liked this post:
bkwill (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
this topic has been discussed at least 1.5 billion times on here. you can either use the search button and do some research, or you can just put the DW-1 in.

it's not gonna destroy your car, it's the factory fluid after-all. put the DW-1 in as your 1X3, order some D4, voila problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
bkwill (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
The tranny problems were with the old Z1 formula. I'm using the new DW-1 atf, and it works just fine. I would say use DW1 if you are conservative and want to stick with the acura/honda tested formula. Go with d4/F if you want to try the theoretically better stuff.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
bkwill,

Please see this thread linked below.

The Optimal Percentage of Racing ATF (click here)

For your first two refills, it is recommended (by me) that you use just Type F (not D4). So if I understand your situation, you should be ok to do the first drain having just the Type F on-hand. You will not need the D4 until you do Refill #3.

Refill #1 = 3 quarts Racing ATF
Refill #2 = 3 quarts Racing ATF
Refill #3 = 2 quarts Racing ATF + 1 quart D4

The above will produce a 65% Racing mixture.

For any subsequent refills (If you choose to do any additional refills in the future), you should use 2 quarts Racing ATF and 1 quart D4. This will maintain a 65% Racing mixture indefinitely.

Additionally, please be aware that the Racing ATF is not for the faint-hearted. The Racing ATF does it's magic by making the clutches grab with authority. Thus, there will be clunk sounds and jerks coming from the trans at times.

Are you willing to sacrifice the smooth oem shifts and live with shifts that can sometimes be a bit rough in return for a trans that will live much longer? The Racing fluid will make your trans live the longest but the shifts can be harsh sometimes. Also please be aware that the Racing fluid is not a recommend fluid for our TL. Not even Redline (the manufacturer) will recommend it for our TL. This is an unapproved and a renegade/maverick approach to making our trans to live as long as possible. I love the Racing fluid in my car because it makes the shifts to be phenomenally quick (racing purposes). I use the Racing fluid in my wife's 2003 RL to make the trans last as long as possible. But, If a person is not willing to sacrifice a butter smooth shift, then that person should not use Racing ATF in my opinion.

If you are not aiming for the ultimate trans life and don't want rough shifts, the Redline D4 would be a great choice. The Redline D4 is recommended by Redline to be used in our TL. In my opinion, the trans will live much longer on D4 than on Z1 or DW-1. You will still be benefiting from the superiority of the Redline brand quality, but without the harshness of the Racing (Type F) fluid.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

Inaccurate, believe me, I have read that thread, twice.

Which is what lead (led?) me to order to D4 (or so I thought-turns out I forgot to order that) along with the Racing Type F fluid.
I had planned on starting the car on a a steady diet of D4, adding in the Racing Type F fluid slowly over the course of several drain and fills and see how the car does with that.
But as you can read from my post, I got in a "pickle" with some dirty fluid and not having access to quality fluid(D4 or Amsoil), I wanted something short term, which led (lead?) me to the DW1.

As for harder/firmer shifts, that doesn't bother me as long as I have longevity. I had a 12 second vehicle that the shift would hurt a little, so I'm okay with it. Only difference, those shifts weren't for longevity..

I plan on keeping this car for a while and I've been trying to keep up on possible transmission issues (I don't get on here a lot), so I do appreciate everyone's efforts in trying to find a fix.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by bkwill
I had a 12 second vehicle that the shift would hurt a little, so I'm okay with it. Only difference, those shifts weren't for longevity..
what car was that?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Cruisin'

04 Silverado Regular Cab Short bed with a 6.0L swap and a few other mods.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by bkwill
Inaccurate, believe me, I have read that thread, twice.

Which is what lead (led?) me to order to D4 (or so I thought-turns out I forgot to order that) along with the Racing Type F fluid.
I had planned on starting the car on a a steady diet of D4, adding in the Racing Type F fluid slowly over the course of several drain and fills and see how the car does with that.
But as you can read from my post, I got in a "pickle" with some dirty fluid and not having access to quality fluid(D4 or Amsoil), I wanted something short term, which led (lead?) me to the DW1.

As for harder/firmer shifts, that doesn't bother me as long as I have longevity. I had a 12 second vehicle that the shift would hurt a little, so I'm okay with it. Only difference, those shifts weren't for longevity..

I plan on keeping this car for a while and I've been trying to keep up on possible transmission issues (I don't get on here a lot), so I do appreciate everyone's efforts in trying to find a fix.
Acura engineers have likely studied the existing tranny issues and spent thousands of miles of engine testing for their newly reformulated DW1, I wouldnt worry too much about using it for the 'short term'...