Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Necessary Materials for Brembo Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Necessary Materials for Brembo Swap

First post here so I'll start with a simple hey. I just purchased a '04 WDP base a few months ago and have since spent my time lurking on these forums gathering as much information as I can.

I've done the 3x3 and pressure switches and a couple other things all from what I've learned here - it's been very helpful.

I've come across a set of Brembo calipers for sale that come with the caliper (freshly powder coated in white with black ACURA lettering), pads, rotors, brake lines, and the knuckle required for the caliper.

Aside from brake fluid is there anything else I would need for this swap? The price is somewhat within reach for me and while I have small plans for small mods to this car I want to keep it within reason (i.e. mods include tint, TEIN SA coils, XXR 530's, and this brake upgrade). I also want to ensure that the price for this brake swap won't exceed what the price for this 'kit' is.

If I'm missing anything for this swap please let me know!

PS - Yes I've searched and didn't really come up with much on this topic so I figured it was time to make a post.

PSS - Yes, this thread is worthless without pics but I'm at work so I'll post some when I get home.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
thats all you need man your good to go, maybe the abs sensor but I doubt it
Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
But why?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
hi whalecome

By searching in google utilizing the "site:acurazine.com" query added to your question, you can find basically everything your heart desires:
https://www.google.com/search?q=brem...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Like so:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...s-list-716463/
Old 12-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by polobunny
But why?
bbk bro. You know, cuz it LOOKS GOOD.

But you can do RL calipers and just buy a bracket for them to mount onto the rotor instead of swapping knuckles and shit

And judging by that parts list its easier and less money to do the RL retro
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
bbk bro. You know, cuz it LOOKS GOOD.

But you can do RL calipers and just buy a bracket for them to mount onto the rotor instead of swapping knuckles and shit

And judging by that parts list its easier and less money to do the RL retro
But then also why? Never had brake fade with the TL.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Jeff

lol its for looks dude
Old 12-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
hi whalecome

By searching in google utilizing the "site:acurazine.com" query added to your question, you can find basically everything your heart desires:
https://www.google.com/search?q=brem...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Like so:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...s-list-716463/
I've searched this site many times using that method, sadly that was the ONLY thread that came up on the topic and for it being as old as it was it wasn't very indepth.

Glad to hear this is all I'll need though!

Looks is some part of it but I also came from a car with Brembos on it and would like to have them again if I can.

I'm able to have this entire kit for $600 shipped, all things considered I think it's a good deal. As the RL calipers route when I priced it out was more expensive than that.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Jeff

even if your old car had brembos, by putting brembos on the TL that did not have brembos isn't going to feel like your old car that had OE brembos.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Instructor

even if your old car had brembos, by putting brembos on the TL that did not have brembos isn't going to feel like your old car that had OE brembos.
I'm aware of this, I have no expectations of turning the TL into a race car, I have a second vehicle for that.

Am I to assume that this swap kit is over priced and/or not worth the cost and effort?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Jeff

Im in the process of doing the RL stuff myself. Should I be doing it? probably not as theres no real advantage or upgrade but when its done its gonna look
Old 12-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Still looking for confirmation on the pricing, as I'm new to the TL world.

Is this price a good price for this swap kit?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by exiLe
I'm aware of this, I have no expectations of turning the TL into a race car, I have a second vehicle for that.

Am I to assume that this swap kit is over priced and/or not worth the cost and effort?
If you're doing it for looks alone, spend the money you want on it.
If you're doing it for performance reason, skip this mod. Don't buy into the marketing.

I have absolutely no brake fade on the TL (no track) and if you can make your tires screech when braking then your brakes are doing their job just fine. Once you lose traction, it means your brakes are doing a better job than your tires are, and I have yet to see someone who has an issue with the TL brakes (who once again, doesn't track it).
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Jeff

if thats for everything you need then yes thats not a bad deal. I think I paid 3 for just the calipers
Old 12-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Instructor

If you're doing it for performance reason, skip this mod. Don't buy into the marketing.

I have absolutely no brake fade on the TL (no track) and if you can make your tires screech when braking then your brakes are doing their job just fine. Once you lose traction, it means your brakes are doing a better job than your tires are, and I have yet to see someone who has an issue with the TL brakes (who once again, doesn't track it).
It's a mix of both reasons, I'll have to give it some serious thought. I figured a simple pad/rotor/fluid change would allow me better braking than stock if I REALLY wanted it. But, maybe the want of Brembos will win out in the end, not sure.

if thats for everything you need then yes thats not a bad deal. I think I paid 3 for just the calipers
Good to hear, just don't wanna get raked over the coals since I'm not quite up to speed on going rates for TL parts.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Hope you're aware of the aluminum-steel galvanic corrosion that plagues brembo calipers. Factory torque spec on Acura brembo bolts is 125 ft/lbs and with time and heat cycling you may want to buy a Time-Sert kit(#1415 M14 x 1.5) to have on hand. The best solution is to drill out and tap threaded steel sleeves(Time-Sert) so your steel caliper bolts will be contacting steel, not aluminum and reducing the chance of your bolts welding themselves to the aluminum threads in the caliper and ending up like this guy: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...d-pics-890815/
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by srg818
Hope you're aware of the aluminum-steel galvanic corrosion that plagues brembo calipers. Factory torque spec on Acura brembo bolts is 125 ft/lbs and with time and heat cycling you may want to buy a Time-Sert kit(#1415 M14 x 1.5) to have on hand. The best solution is to drill out and tap threaded steel sleeves(Time-Sert) so your steel caliper bolts will be contacting steel, not aluminum and reducing the chance of your bolts welding themselves to the aluminum threads in the caliper and ending up like this guy: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...d-pics-890815/
I am aware of the issue, wasn't aware that they made a Time-Sert kit for them. How hard is the Time-Sert install?
Old 12-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts

That because you drive a Base AT TL seriously this time, the TL brembo actually have some clamp power to them. I almost flew out my seat if wasn't for the seat belt hold me back when I tried a doing a hard braking.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Instructor

As promised here's some pictures of the car. She's nothing pretty (yet) but it's a good base to start on. She's had her paint sealed and a few layers of wax tossed on along with removal of some nasty scratches around the door handles.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Here's the pictures I can offer of the second, non-daily.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Jeff

Old 12-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 179 Posts

aside from brake fade, it sure DOES look good when driving.
also, the rotors and pads are alot bigger so i imagine they will last longer and dissapate heat better before warping. They last longer than regular calipers but if they do give you trouble, it's not so easy to replace/rebuild.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 179 Posts
As promised here's some pictures of the car. She's nothing pretty (yet) but it's a good base to start on. She's had her paint sealed and a few layers of wax tossed on along with removal of some nasty scratches around the door handles.
Did someone destroy your paint with an orbital polisher? ouch
Old 12-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I think he just let the wax dry. OP I hate detailing silver/ white car, I always miss some spot.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WDPanda
Did someone destroy your paint with an orbital polisher? ouch
Originally Posted by truonghthe
I think he just let the wax dry. OP I hate detailing silver/ white car, I always miss some spot.
Truong is right - I was letting my wax/sealant cure on the paint.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
I am aware of the issue, wasn't aware that they made a Time-Sert kit for them. How hard is the Time-Sert install?
I did all 4 bolts on my front brembo calipers and taking my time it took about 3 hours from removal, installation of Time-Sert, re-assembly and bleeding brakes. The hardest part of the whole job is drilling the caliper hole straight. If you can trust yourself to do that, the job is relatively simple, otherwise it may be worth it to take the calipers to a shop and have them install the Time-Sert kit.

It is a huge relief not having to worry if your next brake job is going to strip out your brembo calipers and shit all over the rest of your weekend afternoon(learned the hard way).