Navi System. Q's about DVD Player & TV Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003 | 09:35 AM
Need More HP!!!

Question Navi System. Q's about DVD Player & TV Tuners

I am taking delivery of my '04 Silver/Ebony 6MT w/Navi next week. My first upgrade is going to be adding DVD/TV capability to the Navi screen. There are so many questions that I don't know the answers to:

Right now There are two companies that do the work:

1. AVElectronic.com
2. NavTV.com

NavTv you send your unit to and they modify and return for install.
AVElectronic actually sends you a converter which is almost plug and play.

Questions:

1. The AVelec system seems to only work through a remote while the nav tv system actually runs through the nav screen/button controls. is this right?

2. With either system, does the bluetooth technology/phone handsfreelink still work while using either system?

3. Each time you listen to TV/DVD, do you have to switch to a specific FM radio station for audio?

4.Has anyone actually installed either on their TL?

5. Has anyone ever had problems with either companies products?

6. Last but not least, Is this something worth getting installed..

Any input from fellow TL owners is much appreciated.
Old 11-08-2003 | 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Is this legal in the States? It's not legal in Canada. I do see people reading the paper while driving which amazes me every time.
Old 11-08-2003 | 04:30 PM
8th Gear

Hate to burst your bubble, in the U.S. it is actually illegal to have any type of video screen that plays movies viewable from either front seat. The only allowable video feed allowed in a dash unit is a rear-view camera for use when in Reverse. In Michigan, you can receive a $450 ticket if police catch you watching a movie while driving (i.e. in dash, laptop, portable DVD player, etc.).

Thus, the stock Navi does not plays video of any kind. I am sure there is some sort of a hack to splice a portable DVD player into the Navi screen, but it would void your warranty and wreak havoc on your stock system. In the TL, the Bluetooth would no longer work, and the voice command control would also likely be interrupted.
Old 11-08-2003 | 08:02 PM
Need More HP!!!

Poe, you should be careful when you post. This is an incorrect response. It is only illegal while the car is in MOTION. Secondly, how do you know the bluetooth tech and handsfreelink would be disabled??

I know for a fact that your are incorrect. Would like to know where you get your facts on this topic..