Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

To Navi or Not to Navi

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 AM
GregS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 04TLmayB
I bet GSTAIS would take the navi if it were free- and probably in time grow to love it and tell his friends about the great features it has. The only real stumbling block to people not getting the navi is the money. The whole car is a toy to be enjoyed. If I wanted transportation I would get a cheapo Toyota.
If the Navi were free, of course I would take it - wouldn't you? But it's not and that is not the issue here. You are right, the option to buy the Navi is about money. But it is not an affordability issue. Rather, the simple fact is whether you can justify the additional cost to satisfy your needs or wants. If you can, then great! You should get the Navi.

I consciously chose not to get the Navi because as I have stated, "ad nauseum" that I just don't need or want it. I had it in my '01 TL and hardly used it, and therefore decided this time to forego the option and spend the additional money elsewhere.

I dare say that my rationale is far too logical and prudent for you to understand. So, if that's not reason enough, then there is nothing more to say.

Have a nice day!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Some of you pro Navi guys are really narrow minded. Not everyone lives in large cities and travels often. Some of us have no need for NAVI. Try thinking outside your world. To say it's a money issue and nothing else is ridiculous. Hell I don't even think it looks high tech. What is so high tech looking about the low resolution graphics display? It looks like Nintendo 8 bit graphics to me.

Navi is very useful for certain people but not all. Can you grasp that?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:51 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low res graphics? What did you expect? 3D rendered terrain? Heck, I don't even look at the screen anymore. I do everything by voice commands these days.

The one time you'll be going to that large city and you get lost is when you'll say: "Wish I had the Navi".

One thing you have to consider about the navi is that it's more than just the Navigation system. It's all the other things you get with it: Bluetooth cell phone link, voice activated climate control, audio system and of course, navigation system.

All of this helps you keep you eyes pointed in the right direction: on the road!

While I agree that it's not as usefull for people in rural areas, in urban areas it's a godsend!
Old 04-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeuser
Low res graphics? What did you expect? 3D rendered terrain? Heck, I don't even look at the screen anymore. I do everything by voice commands these days.

The one time you'll be going to that large city and you get lost is when you'll say: "Wish I had the Navi".

One thing you have to consider about the navi is that it's more than just the Navigation system. It's all the other things you get with it: Bluetooth cell phone link, voice activated climate control, audio system and of course, navigation system.

All of this helps you keep you eyes pointed in the right direction: on the road!

While I agree that it's not as usefull for people in rural areas, in urban areas it's a godsend!
For $2000 plus I expect a higher resolution display.

Non Navi TL's have blue tooth cell phone link also. I use the auto feature on my climate control system so I never hardly have to change the setting. I assume you have to push one button on the the steering wheel to change audio settings with a voice command. Then you have to give the command. It's easier and quicker to just press one of the preset channels. I use those channels 95% of the time.

And about that one time being lost in a large city. It's not going to happen because I will have a .50 cent map.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steveb

Non Navi TL's have blue tooth cell phone link also. I use the auto feature on my climate control system so I never hardly have to change the setting. I assume you have to push one button on the the steering wheel to change audio settings with a voice command. Then you have to give the command. It's easier and quicker to just press one of the preset channels. I use those channels 95% of the time.

And about that one time being lost in a large city. It's not going to happen because I will have a .50 cent map.
hahahaha... don't be jealous cuz our interior is nicer There's a lot more you can do with the navi, such as find the nearest restuarant, find phone numbers, banks, ATM's. It just comes in handy... And $2000 isn't that expensive for a navi with an 8 inch screen. By what i've seen most navi's on the market, especially ones from other brands of cars are more expensive. I consider Acura navigation the best one out right now, and one of the cheapest.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EulisCool
hahahaha... don't be jealous cuz our interior is nicer There's a lot more you can do with the navi, such as find the nearest restuarant, find phone numbers, banks, ATM's. It just comes in handy... And $2000 isn't that expensive for a navi with an 8 inch screen. By what i've seen most navi's on the market, especially ones from other brands of cars are more expensive. I consider Acura navigation the best one out right now, and one of the cheapest.
hahahaha, don't feel like you have to justify your purchase. Just enjoy it. Seems to me it's always some of the Navi owners on here that have to criticize non nav TL's to help justify their purchase and the non Navi owners are just defending themselves.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:50 PM
GregS

Cool

Hey EulisCool,

Last time I looked, I could swear the interiors of the Navi vs. Non-Navi TL's were exactly the same, except you have the Navi screen, and I have the split Non-Navi screen in exactly the same configuration (unlike the 2nd generation TL).

Riddle me this? How many times have you had to ask "Mr. Navi" (or maybe it's Mrs? - this would explain quite a lot!) for directions to the nearest bank or restaurant, or look up a phone number. One would think once you find your bank for the first time you would know where it is and how to get there. As for restaurants, did you ever think you could look it up before you leave, and print out a MapQuest map? As for the phone numbers, you can store them in your phonebook. Unless you are constantly calling new numbers, this also is a lame excuse for spending an additional $2K+ for an "extravagant toy".

Unless you are constantly travelling to new places or are in real estate or sales (for example), I still cannot justify the additional cost, no matter how "cool" the Navi is.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gstais
Hey EulisCool,

Last time I looked, I could swear the interiors of the Navi vs. Non-Navi TL's were exactly the same, except you have the Navi screen, and I have the split Non-Navi screen in exactly the same configuration (unlike the 2nd generation TL).

Riddle me this? How many times have you had to ask "Mr. Navi" (or maybe it's Mrs? - this would explain quite a lot!) for directions to the nearest bank or restaurant, or look up a phone number. One would think once you find your bank for the first time you would know where it is and how to get there. As for restaurants, did you ever think you could look it up before you leave, and print out a MapQuest map? As for the phone numbers, you can store them in your phonebook. Unless you are constantly calling new numbers, this also is a lame excuse for spending an additional $2K+ for an "extravagant toy".

Unless you are constantly travelling to new places or are in real estate or sales (for example), I still cannot justify the additional cost, no matter how "cool" the Navi is.
Yes, it is the same if your car is off, but when you have the AC on with those huge numbers and the radio on, dont think they look quite the same. My friend has a non-navi TL, and i gotta say it look pretty tacky to me and i'm sure a lot would agree that the interior looks much better with the navi displaying instead of the huge ugly "72 degrees" and watever else is on there.
Also when i tell anyone that i got myself a 2004 TL the VERY first thing they ask me is "did you get the navigation system?"

Secondly, i use my navi almost everyday. When i go out to lunch during work, i look for certain types of restuarants, i put in client addresses, yesterday i wanted to buy a california duster so i put in pepboys. Yes you can use mapquest, you can call from home and save it in your phone book, but i dont use them. You know why? Cuz i have a navigation system... hahaha

I'm 23 and i think its the coolest thing in the world, so let me be, you old fogies!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:21 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by Steveb

Non navi TLs don't get bluetooth in Canada. Well... except the dynamic package (6MT).

It might be quicker to change by pressing a button but that means you're taking your eyes off the road for a second or two. I don't! Same goes with the climate control. And while I still have mine set to auto I can also voice command the rear defrost.

Point is: It IS useful and probably much safer if you use the voice commands properly. Is it worth the premium? To some, yes. To others, no. Considering the price of the car (I could've bought and Accord V6), I wasn't going to let a mere $2000 option get in the way of having the coolest "geek car" on the market. Yes... I'm a techno-geek (Software Engineer). So I just had to have all the gadgets.

Besides, I got my TL Navi for almost the same price as a base model. Gotta love CarCostCanada.com !!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Racer

If one bases the decision to buy Navi purely on need, few would buy it based on the $2k cost. I'd expect that realtors could easily justify the cost though. Navi is a useful tool, when driving to a new destination, detouring around a accident on unknown roads, or simply exploring a new area. The directory is also handy every now and then for locating a nearby store or restaurant. But for people that mostly stick to an area they are familiar with, Navi might be hard to justify based on the cost.

BTW, one could say the same about buying a 270 HP car, we don't need that kind of power, but it is certainly nice.

-r
Old 04-15-2004, 05:33 PM
TL hacker

Hey EulisCool,

How often? Very often!

- Find nearest gas station
- Find nearest Acura dealership
- Find nearest ATM
- Find nearest fast food
etc.

I use them very often. Why? Because the '04 TL is such a blast to drive that I've been driving around the Province just trying different roads etc. Just enjoying the drive. You know how that is? These cars are a joy to drive.

So when I'm in "unknown territory" I just ask the Navi to find what I'm looking for. I don't have to plan ahead of schedule, print maps or directions etc. Did you read my little story about my friend wanting to see an MDX "tech package"?

Not that this is aimed at anyone but I don't diss the non-navis out there. You guys still have the same basic '04 TL as us Navi guys do. A really fantastic car even without the Navi. But I will try to explain why for some people, like myself, the Navi is worth it.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:42 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by acura_driver
If one bases the decision to buy Navi purely on need, few would buy it based on the $2k cost. I'd expect that realtors could easily justify the cost though. Navi is a useful tool, when driving to a new destination, detouring around a accident on unknown roads, or simply exploring a new area. The directory is also handy every now and then for locating a nearby store or restaurant. But for people that mostly stick to an area they are familiar with, Navi might be hard to justify based on the cost.

BTW, one could say the same about buying a 270 HP car, we don't need that kind of power, but it is certainly nice.

-r
Exactly! We don't really NEED all the stuff the TL has (even the non-navis). But it sure is nice to have. We paid a lot more to get this privilege so you can't really use the entire "cost justified?" argument when talking about the navi. If I was really concerned about costs I would've gotten a fully loaded Accord V6 instead. BTW... Canadian Accords don't have a Navi option.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:28 PM
GregS

Cool

Originally Posted by acura_driver

-r
But then the 270 HP engine is not a $2,000 option. And yes it is nice and one of the reasons I bought the car.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:35 PM
GregS

Red face

I'm 23 and i think its the coolest thing in the world, so let me be, you old fogies!
HaHaHa to You!

The closing statement in your response says it all! Maybe some day when you are a "big boy", and can think outside the box, you will comprehend alternative viewpoints!

If all that is important to you is the "bling bling" factor, and what your friends think, then you have a lot of growing up to do (I hope you have enough money left for retirement!).

Regards from a Not-So-Old Fogey (but older and wiser than you!).

Have a NICE day!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Instructor

HaHaHa to You!

The closing statement in your response says it all! Maybe some day when you are a "big boy", and can think outside the box, you will comprehend alternative viewpoints!

If all that is important to you is the "bling bling" factor, and what your friends think, then you have a lot of growing up to do (I hope you have enough money left for retirement!).

Regards from a Not-So-Old Fogey (but older and wiser than you!).

Have a NICE day!
well by your profile, your old enough to be my dad, but in any case... i'm sure your happy with your car and i'm with my car. And dont worry about my retirement... i have that covered.

As for the bling bling factor, the TL aint exactly the Bling BLing-iest car. For 35k i would of got a 350z or a g35 and put some doobies on it. (rims if you dont understand).

I'm tired of arguing with a 51 year old. Have a great day and i live in Westwood... right next to you. If you see an anthracite TL, honk. Maybe i can show you how great my navi is hahahaha
Old 04-15-2004, 07:12 PM
GregS

Wink

well by your profile, your old enough to be my dad, but in any case... i'm sure your happy with your car and i'm with my car. And dont worry about my retirement... i have that covered.

As for the bling bling factor, the TL aint exactly the Bling BLing-iest car. For 35k i would of got a 350z or a g35 and put some doobies on it. (rims if you dont understand).

I'm tired of arguing with a 51 year old. Have a great day and i live in Westwood... right next to you. If you see an anthracite TL, honk. Maybe i can show you how great my navi is hahahaha
EulisCool,

Now I feel much better! I see you can actually add and subtract. Very clever, you figured out my age!

Or maybe you consulted your Navi? That must be it. If I am not mistaken, the command is something like "Computer - How old is GregS? I bet it answered, "51, Master"!

As for your Geography skills, you need to bone up. If you checked my profile, and looked at the Zip Code, you would immediately realize that my Brentwood IS NOT in L.A. County.

So while you are cruisin' and playin with your Navi (make sure you keep your eyes on the road), why don't you stop by and say hi to O.J. for me. Maybe HE will be impressed (or maybe not!). HaHaHa......HaHaHa to you!

Regards,
Old 04-16-2004, 01:20 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

at this point the older and wiser person should retire the subject,
otherwise you are playing at the same level... you're showing immaturity which is not very wise.

be happy with your NAV or money in the bank (they are both cool).
Old 04-16-2004, 02:13 PM
GregS

Cool

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
at this point the older and wiser person should retire the subject,
otherwise you are playing at the same level... you're showing immaturity which is not very wise.

be happy with your NAV or money in the bank (they are both cool).
Nox3.2,

Come on - lighten up! I was just trying to have a little fun. Although for me, the Navi is not a must have, I do agree that the technology is pretty amazing. For those that love your Navi's, that's all that matters, right?

The way I see it, we all made the right decision buying one of the most awesome cars on the road!

Regards,
Old 04-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Instructor

The way I see it, we all made the right decision buying one of the most awesome cars on the road!
Too true .
Old 04-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeuser
Low res graphics? What did you expect? 3D rendered terrain? Heck,
Yes, take a look:

http://www.dottocomu.com/b/archives/001252.html