Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navi into Multimedia Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:49 PM
The stickiest of the icky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi into Multimedia Display

hey i was watching fast and the furious the other day and i saw they guy before the race scene playing ps2 in his car...that got me thinking. it would be SICK if I could play ps2 in my car!!! i looked at avelectronic.com and saw that the price is pretty dam high...i duno ive saved up some money but considering the 500+ for the switcher and then install...anyway, has anybody put a ps2 or at least used the AVelectronic switcher, or any other switcher for that matter? which one did you use, theres a "TV Tuner" and a "Video Switcher"??? what did it cost for install? has anybody tried putting a dvd player or ps2 underneath the front passenger seat? i think thats where a ps2 would have to be, either there or inside the glove box. im thinking i could use the ps2 as a dvd player and for playing games, and the added bonus that i wouldnt have to switch inputs for dvds and games. thanks a lot in advance!!!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:51 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I'm not sure, but you might lose your Nav's functionality completely if you use it as a TV. I remember when I was looking at threads about this on another forum, people had to use a "car-puter" with navigation software because the navi no longer worked with the car's navigation.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:05 PM

i dunno, it looks from the site that they make it so that you can still have full functionality of everything else, the navi just works in the background. if anybody has any other information about this...or pics...
Old 05-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

no, the navi will still work, you switch between the two with a selection switch that's installed somewhere. someone had an install of it somewhere... lemme see...

http://discoball.com/acuratl/

i think that's it (not mine). looks like you could easily have another input for PS2.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:38 PM

hmm does anybody know anywhere reputable in miami i could get this installed and/or see a sample of the avelectronic products?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Team Anthracite

put an xbox and gamecube in instead
Old 05-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Racer

watching fast and the furious... got you thinking. hahahah what, that its one of the stupidest movies of all time unless you like tacky looking cars?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digital_b
watching fast and the furious... got you thinking. hahahah what, that its one of the stupidest movies of all time unless you like tacky looking cars?
Hey man, we all know that a ton of vinyl stickers = monstah horsepowah.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:31 PM

anyone from miami wanna help me out here?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the PS2 under my front passenger seat, tight fit but it works. You do not lose any functionality of the NAVI, with the simple flip of a rocker switch, you can toggle back and forth between NAVI and TV/DVD/PS2 or whatever u want to hook up. The NAV voice directions and all voice commands work even when watching a movie..its a SCHWEEEET setup. I wanna order the 8" MYron & Davis replacement headrests with 16:9 monitors already built in, but it looks like almost 1500 bucks so I will pass for now. Only thing I dont like about the AVelectronics tuner box is only way i could do the sound was to fm modulate it, until Blitzsafe comes out with their adaptor...which should be in the next coming weeks!!! I did the install myself with a buddy. Took me about 6 hours total. Totally worth the 550 bucks for this little toy....the looks on peoples faces is priceless when they see movies thru the factory NAV screen. :worship:
Old 05-10-2004, 06:04 PM

hmmm...is it easy to self install or do you need very extensive knowledge? im guna assume that i have no means to install it myself, i know a lot about home theater setup and multimedia equipment but nothing about wiring it up in a car. does anybody know a good place to get something like this done, i assume the install is pretty simple to do and wont cost THAT much. also Vegas- did you order the avelectronics stuff online or did you go to a dealer?
Old 05-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i would rate it as a 7 on a scale of 1-10. YOu have to take out the entire back seat, the entire trunk lining on the passenger side to access the DVD-nav drive, remove the entire center console behind the shifter, run wiring, tap into 12VDC power (i tapped mine from the 12V power socket in the console storage area), and then run the FM modulation cables and plug them into the back of the ELS deck, run all the rca's, run the toggle swtich and IR signal for the remote, run power back to the trunk for the tuner box, mount the box in the trunk area (in hindsight I prolly couldve mounted it under the passenger seat), then i also had to install a 12V to 110VAC inverter under the seat to power the PS2. Plus, you have to lift up the carpeting in the back seat footwells to run all the wires neatly. I had never done car stereo work before, so I had a buddy on-hand to assist me with tapping into the 12V power in the vehicle. I did everything but splicing into the 12V connection for power. If i did it again, I could do it on half of the time because now I know where EVERYTHING is!! My advice is to purchase the Acura TL 2004 Service manual which explains how to remove/install every part of the entire car. it is 80 bucks from www.helm.com , but well worth it IMHO. I bought the system directly from avelectronic through their paypal account. avelectronic can recommend an installer in your area familiar with the install of their products. The place they recommended me to in vegas does alot of high end work, and I knew they would charge a fortune. So i decided to have at it and try it myself, and we were successful!!!

good luck!