Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

navi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
navi?

can u watch dvds with stock navi? if not is there a way to mod it so u can?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:19 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No you cannot watch DVD videos with the stock nav. Look for adapters and tuners on this site;

http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm
Old 02-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Racer

Please don't watch DVD on your navi. All your road neighbors asks, pleads with you to pay attention to the road.

It's not like there aren't enough drivers with a cell phone glued to their ears already.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by casooner90
Please don't watch DVD on your navi. All your road neighbors asks, pleads with you to pay attention to the road.

It's not like there aren't enough drivers with a cell phone glued to their ears already.
thank you officer casooner. who cares if you watch dvd's in your car?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:36 PM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the navi even good quality
Old 02-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tlxlr8s
is the navi even good quality
good quality in regards to what?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by adam209
who cares if you watch dvd's in your car?
I do! I don't want people watching DVDs when they should be driving. I have heard that there are laws (which probably vary from state to state) that make it illegal for a TV / DVD / Video Game display to be viewable by the driver. Too distracting, even if you have good intentions ...
Old 02-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Racer

Ditto....keep your eyes on the road, not a movie. If you wanna watch a dvd - stay home or buy a minivan and sit in the back seat.

Originally posted by ¿GotJazz?
I do! I don't want people watching DVDs when they should be driving. I have heard that there are laws (which probably vary from state to state) that make it illegal for a TV / DVD / Video Game display to be viewable by the driver. Too distracting, even if you have good intentions ...
Old 02-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro

If someone wants to see a movie in a car, go and buy a minivan and let your woman drive you around. Cars are for driving, not mobile entertainment centers
Old 02-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

b.s. if i want to play Grand Theft Auto while at a stop light, i should be entitled to do so. if i want to have a movie playing while i'm driving, it shouldn't concern you. and actually, yes, some cars are mobile entertainment systems.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:33 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if i want to have a movie playing while i'm driving, it shouldn't concern you.
I agree with you Adam, as long as it never impacts the quality of your driving. Remember - you're not the only one on the road.

Even if your intentions are good, it's too easy to get distracted. Scientists have found that the human instincts are honed to catch motion out of the corner of our eyes and respond to it. If I had a DVD system installed and there was a movie playing with my favorite hot actress on the screen, I know that I would have a tough time not getting drawn to the screen.

Maybe a entertainment system that wouldn't allow you to play movies or games while the car is moving? I wouldn't have a problem with that. That's why a lot of Navi systems aren't changable when the car is moving. That's also why I bought the 04TL Navi. I don't have to physically interract with the screen to use the system - the voice commands work extremely well so far. I can focus on my driving and keep the roads safer.

Many laws that restrict our so-called "freedom" usually are there because somebody abused that freedom in the past, which affected another person's life negatively. Such laws are enacted to reduce the chance of future occurrances. If it happened once, it can happen again. We learn from our mistakes.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
b.s. if i want to play Grand Theft Auto while at a stop light, i should be entitled to do so. if i want to have a movie playing while i'm driving, it shouldn't concern you. and actually, yes, some cars are mobile entertainment systems.
And hell is paved with good intentions. There are laws out there that apply to everyone simply because 90% need them. I'm sure there are drivers who COULD drive just fine with DVD's or TV going on. But lets face it, drivers with cell phones are dangerous. Driving drunk is dangerous.

The fewer distractions, the better. You can get ticketed if the officer feels your music was distracting you from the road.

No one has the "right" to imperil others simply because they want a rolling entertainment center.

While you might think, yeah you guys are a bunch of old farts, when you have loved ones in the car with you, you start changing your driving habits and are concerned with other drivers.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Instructor

You are the same guy that tries to defend street racing all the time. You are the same guy that has "CRONIC" as your user symbol. I am guessing/hoping that you are a 17 year old kid whose Daddy has a lot of money and has decided that rather than teaching you values and morals, he'll buy you a new car. Someday, you will grow up and have a family, and understand the inportance of safety on the road. Until then, I urge the parents in your town to keep their kids inside.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Racer

Sorry, I disagree with you 100%. Watching a movie while driving makes you a threat to the safety of every car around you, as well as your own. Other drivers sharing the road with you are carrying their families while you may or may not be paying full attention to what you are doing behind the wheel. To say that it is no one else's concern what you do in your car is shortsighted at best, selfish and arrogant in general, possibly criminally negligent, and potentially homicidal at worst. Please look at the larger picture beyond your video screen.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Racer

This isn't an age thing. It's the smart thing.

Many of us want to drive for pleasure or for busines, but that's it. They also want to go home to their loved ones and live another day. Driving shouldn't a game - take it serious.

I have been stuck behind so many drivers with cell phones glued their ears and all their thoughts revolving around the conversations. They stop, accelerate, turn without any warning because their driving tasks catch up to their conversation. Can you imagine if the driver's eyes were distracted from the road as well as their brain?

I am not a cop. Just another driver on the road that wants to get home. I don't need you or anyone else to be stupid with a DVD in front of me. Wake the hell up and get your driving right - it's a privilage!
Old 02-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Pro

No, cars are methods of transporation first, however people choose to make them mobile entertainment centers and that's fine as long as it is for the passengers. I have no problem with that, except that now children are watching TV in the car instead of reading a book or doing something else more productive. If the car is stopped completely, you should be able to do whatever you want as long as it affects no one else around you. I have been in an accident where some idiot was watching TV on his dashboard in his Lexus. He actually said he didn't see me because he was watching TV. Luckily it wasn't a bad accident, but hey, he was supposed to be driving not watching the Matrix or playing a video game where his EYES ARE OFF THE ROAD!!
Old 02-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Racer

apwalsh, you seem to equate watching something on tv with always being a bad thing. There are plenty of "productive", educational and worthwhile things to watch on the tube. It's a matter of choice, and that's up to the parents as to what they put in front of their children to help them pass the time in the car. But the benefits of having something available for the kids in the back help to keep the driver more focused on what he should be doing in the first place....driving.

If the tube in the front could be made to ONLY play while the car was at a COMPLETE stop, perhaps with some sort of settable delay to when it switched on once the car come to rest, and there was no way to override it, then would I even begin to think about it being an acceptable accessory.

I sure hope that guy in the Lexus learned a lesson from all this and that you were in no way assigned any fault. What an idiot. Glad to hear it wasn't serious.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally posted by marquis
apwalsh, you seem to equate watching something on tv with always being a bad thing. There are plenty of "productive", educational and worthwhile things to watch on the tube. It's a matter of choice, and that's up to the parents as to what they put in front of their children to help them pass the time in the car. But the benefits of having something available for the kids in the back help to keep the driver more focused on what he should be doing in the first place....driving.

If the tube in the front could be made to ONLY play while the car was at a COMPLETE stop, perhaps with some sort of settable delay to when it switched on once the car come to rest, and there was no way to override it, then would I even begin to think about it being an acceptable accessory.

I sure hope that guy in the Lexus learned a lesson from all this and that you were in no way assigned any fault. What an idiot. Glad to hear it wasn't serious.
While I don't speak for him, people really should look out the window and see the world. Why stare at a screen when you can look at the real world with its beauty, vastness, its problems etc etc.

People are often too fascinated with their own little "worlds" when they should live in the REAL world (no not that crap on MTV).
Old 02-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Racer

I don't disagree with you at all, but little kids quickly lose interest in that sort of stuff....just a fact of life.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Pro

Originally posted by marquis

I see what you mean, however I still feel that alot of kids are allowed to spend too much time in front of the tube as it is. I never watched TV in the back seat and my parents had no problems driving the car. Then again, we would be in deep sh*t if we were jerking around in the car. Alot of kids get away with alot more than we did growing up. Times have changed
Old 02-22-2004, 11:41 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be scared of those who will be watching movies, speaking on cell with one hand and eating with the other checking themselves every now and then in the vanity mirros.

Just a question, why do they give vanity mirror on the driver side? I am so scared, when stopped at a light cheking my rear view mirror, and see those dumb women making up and approaching behind me.

People, come on, use your brain. Driving is a previledge not a right. Use it wisely.

While driving;

- DO NOT WATCH MOVIES
- DO NOT TALK ON PHONE WITHOUT HANDSFREE
- DO NOT APPLY MAKE UP
- DO NOT EAT

and last but not least;

- DO NOT READ (except for road signs)
Old 02-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by joganjani
I'll be scared of those who will be watching movies, speaking on cell with one hand and eating with the other checking themselves every now and then in the vanity mirros.

Just a question, why do they give vanity mirror on the driver side? I am so scared, when stopped at a light cheking my rear view mirror, and see those dumb women making up and approaching behind me.

People, come on, use your brain. Driving is a previledge not a right. Use it wisely.

While driving;

- DO NOT WATCH MOVIES
- DO NOT TALK ON PHONE WITHOUT HANDSFREE
- DO NOT APPLY MAKE UP
- DO NOT EAT

and last but not least;

- DO NOT READ (except for road signs)
:lol1:

You have to love the lady that thinks she can drive while applying mascara or the guy with the newspaper spread out over the steering wheel.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Instructor

i didnt mean to start an uproar. i am talkin bout if i am like in a parking lot or something. or somewhere where my car is parked without a tv. i think it would be nice to be able to watch dvds, BUT NOT WHILE DRIVING!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Instructor

understand wut im saying?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Instructor

I do know that there is a receiver that can be hooked up to watch DVD/TV, but any reputable dealer will only install to work with the e-brake oon or in park. It also is FM modulated so you will not get 5.1 surround sound.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

i have an alpine lcd system in my current car that the stereo dudes installed that allows me to watch dvd video. when the car is in motion the video signal goes off (only sound). but there is a very easy way around that. i agree you should not watch dvd videos while driving, how enjoyable is it really when you are driving? however i think it is pretty cool if you can use it while you are parked. BTW anyone know if you can hookup satellite tv to the car??? i was looking for a while and all i can find are mobile home dishes which are huge.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:10 PM
Lurker

Since you're in Cali...the CHP and local police do. Starting this year it is illegal in California to have non-Navi related video in view of the driver.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

What about guys getting hummers while driving? They usually keep their eyes on the road but close them momentarily at the end!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by vtechbrain
What about guys getting hummers while driving? They usually keep their eyes on the road but close them momentarily at the end!
hahahahaha...there is nothing wrong with that at least they are wide awake.