3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav/Homelink robberies

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL that is the exact reason why you should get a home alarm system. Somone try to jack your house'll have to respond to alarm system. With any luck you might just get not only the car, but the thief as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peterpan_991
Well, that is why NRA recommends you to get a weapon to protect youself and your property.
damn right. i'll be spending my weekend installing the new gun rack for the rear window....
Old 11-16-2005, 11:37 PM
kuj
10th Gear

Originally Posted by trancemission
another one raised from the dead. Hey peter, was it necessary to resurrect this one? just wondering why you needed to comment in a thread thats over a year old....
Just wondering but isn't it better this way than to open up another thread rather than have someone else say "this topic has been discussed before...do a search next time" ?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Racer

Hah gun rack for when i'm home and...........

http://www.thesentrygun.com/ Gotta build me one of these mofos for when im away =D
Old 11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
Hah, that's funny.

Is it legal to keep a COPY of the auto registration and insurance vs that of the originals? I thought you had to keep the originals.
You don't have to leave any of that stuff in the car in any state or province—you just have to carry it with you when the car is in use. Obviously most people leave it in the car all the time because it's easier, but there is nothing mandating this and if you are worried about thefts/security it makes more sense to store it in your wallet or briefcase if possible.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:06 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acura_driver
I carry a photocopy of the auto registration without my address in the glove box, and a photocopy with my address in my wallet. For the NAVI "home address" I use an address that is about a block away and don't use a PIN. That way I don't need to enter a PIN whenever I want to say "go home". I do use a PIN on the address book.

-r
I do exactly the same thing, except for carrying the copy in my wallet. I have a photocopy of my registration in the glove box and it only has my name on it. My navi thinks I live about a quarter-mile away at the nearest larger intersection.

I use my Go Home all the time just to get me on my way to my home area again. Once I'm out of the unfamiliar areas, I just cancel the route. I often get into areas with the navi and then run errands and such. Once I'm ready to head home, I don't want to simply backtrack over the route that got me there. I want the direct route. Also, I use it to tell me how far I am from home and how long it's going to take to get there. I may already know the route, but not the actual distance.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoganJani
Hey! Just got an Idea. How about saving a Police Station address in GO HOME location?
The police station is too obvious from the outside. How about setting it to the home address of a cop who lives in your area.

Can you imagine some scumbag car thief using the navi to find "your" house, when he knows you have no car and can't get home, then trying to break into the house, only to discover that a cop lives there, and he *is* home.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by shockwave
The police station is too obvious from the outside. How about setting it to the home address of a cop who lives in your area.

Can you imagine some scumbag car thief using the navi to find "your" house, when he knows you have no car and can't get home, then trying to break into the house, only to discover that a cop lives there, and he *is* home.
And if he isn't home, but his wife and/or kids are, what happens then?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:40 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
i skimmed the posts so yell if this was already said. a lot of the new garage door openers (i know because our old one broke and we had to buy a new one) have a safety feature to protect against opening the garage door from the car...im not sure exactly how it works, but if a thief broke into your car they would not be able to use the homelink to open the garage door. it has something to do with how you program the signal into the car or something. i actually wasnt really paying attention when the guy was explaining this to me. but they do safeguard against this now....

this is a problem, and was for us before we got a new garage door opener, however...so i dont think this applies to everyone else
Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
i skimmed the posts so yell if this was already said. a lot of the new garage door openers (i know because our old one broke and we had to buy a new one) have a safety feature to protect against opening the garage door from the car...im not sure exactly how it works, but if a thief broke into your car they would not be able to use the homelink to open the garage door. it has something to do with how you program the signal into the car or something. i actually wasnt really paying attention when the guy was explaining this to me. but they do safeguard against this now....

this is a problem, and was for us before we got a new garage door opener, however...so i dont think this applies to everyone else
So what "programming" would prevent a thief from opening the garage door yet not prevent the owner at the same time..?? Something would have to differentiate between owner and theif...?? Maybe you enter a pin once you're in the car to identify you/owner as the "good" guy.

Interesting - but definitely an issue. I worry about this when ever either of our vehicles are parked outside. Due to both having "built-in" garage openers/homelink, not only could someone break into our cars but also gain access to the garage...

Then again, break into the car - take it... Step foot into my garage/house and remotely "resemble" a threat to the family,,,,,, prepare to meet Mr. "S&W" and ultimately, Jesus....

Wife and I's motto: "Warning shots aren't required".
Old 11-18-2005, 09:29 PM
A-SPEC TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if a thief jacks my navi and homelink.....i would first go to my garage and pull the power out so that the doors dont open.....then i would change the codes