3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On my way to the tint shop, I ended up with this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
On my way to the tint shop, I ended up with this...

I was headed to TintMax in Queens this morning and while I was on the highway I switched into the left lane and I see a SUV start to gain on me, next thing I know he's in the shoulder right beside me. As I saw him in my side-view mirror I was like "oh sh*t, here it comes" and bam. Fortunately for me, it was his tire that hit my car and not the body of the car because it would have turned out a lot worse if he hit me harder. Not to hate on all NY drivers, but wtf, why would you to try to pass me in the shoulder?

Steve cleaned most of it off for me with compound, but there are still some scratches and the dent.

/rant
Old 10-11-2008, 06:44 PM
usc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh?

I guess this just seems odd to me. So you switched into the inside (left lane). Then you see him gain on you in your rearview. Then the SUV cuts to the inside to possibly pass you, but decides to side swipe you with his front right tire instead? If he's already in the shoulder, why not just pass you completely then cut you off.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
people do stupid things around here.... it never ceases to amaze me.. last night, i had a freaking Civic DX or LX or whatever, riding my ass to intimidate me, flashing lights, then cut me off on the wrong side of the road.... trying to get me to race him ? i just laughed and let him by

i'm no "saint" behind the wheel, but alot of people have no respect for human deceny or safety, and just think its all fun and games.... passing on the shoulder, tailgating, doing donuts in a residential area... all this stupid shit, is why I now have road rage... dealing with dmb fcks all day

lol.. theres my "rant"
Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro

sorry for the confusion..

So its a 3 lane highway, I was in the middle lane and then switched to the far left. When I switched into the left lane I noticed the SUV about 500 ft or so behind me, but he was getting close pretty fast. (I couldn't move out of the left lane as there was a car in the middle lane) I figured he would slow down as he got closer, but nope he decided to pass me from the left shoulder - IIRC it wasnt a very wide shoulder so i think he was trying to avoid hitting me and the wall, but he ended up hitting me.

yeah after today's little experience I can def say I like driving in suburbs a lot better haha
Old 10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You couldn't fathom how badly I would have beaten that guy if that were me.

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
I hate hearing/seeing things like this. Hence Why I Barely F around anymore.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you get his plate # or anything? That's a little ridiculous.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Sorry to hear that bud, I think its something in the water that makes people in the tri-state area act like goons. I was on LIE this morning when this lady in a minivan tailgated me for about a mile before I pulled into the middle lane and let her pass. A few miles down the road I saw her being pulled over by an unmarked patrol car
Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so what happend after he hit you? so its his fault right? tryin to pass you on the shoulder like that?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Sorry to hear your mishap. I drive the LIE everyday to work and there is a handful of times that I could have been clipped. All I can say is have plenty of space between cars and take it easy. If some ass wants to speed in front of me, I let them pass. It is not worth the trouble to get into a stupid accident. By the way, how's the tint job at tintmax? I am thinking of heading over there in a couple weeks.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Racer

Just be thankful no one got hurt (except the TL)...she could be fixed though and looking sexy again. Take it easy playa4real!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
that sux man ... doesn't look too bad though should be fixed up and lookin great in no time
Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Registered Nutsack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say, after driving around Jersey and PA, the Parkway, Expressway, etc. I have come to the following conclusions:
Most people are douche nozzles. They speed, tailgate, and bob-and-weave through lanes, cutting off other vehicles on the road. As Blackura said, they lack any decency or regard for other people on the road. Everyone is always in a rush to get nowhere. When I'm driving, especially @ high speeds or in heavily trafficked(sp?) areas, I drive w/ the a little thought in the back of mind that every person on the road has completely no idea what they are doing. It's that kind of mentality that has kept me from ever having an accident to date (knock on wood) Except for one time, when some lady ran a stop sign and plowed into my old Wrangler I used to have.
A cop was sitting @ the corner talking to his friend @ the time when that happened. It was a beautiful thing, haha.

I remember I always used to want to buy an old military Humvee that still had the roof mounted machine gun or something on it. If ever you wanted someone to get off your ass just have a passenger climb up on to that thing and aim it @ the person behind you. After they crap their pants I'm sure they would back off
Old 10-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
That sux, I've been driving in the city (Manhattan) for a long time, so I'm use to cars popping out of the sky, cutting you off, pedestrians performing acrobatic moves around you..lol... What I learned from all of this? I always, religiously, watch all of my mirrors, I always know who is around me... If you think this is bad? I work in Jersey, where you have 18-wheelers cutting you off without care, you'll learn to anticipate and avoid the "oh shit!"
Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ecliptics
so what happend after he hit you? so its his fault right? tryin to pass you on the shoulder like that?
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Did you get his plate # or anything? That's a little ridiculous.
So yeah I went to pull over and he slowed down..I was like you better be pulling over with me.. In any case he pulled over and he started arguing with me saying it was my fault. I told him to exchange information, but he wasn't having it so I said let's call the cops and they can take care of everything. He decided not to and got in his car and left. Before he could drive off, I wrote down his plate, called the cops, and told them what happened. We'll see what they write up in the report.

Originally Posted by VQPower37
that sux man ... doesn't look too bad though should be fixed up and lookin great in no time
Yeah it's definitely not as bad as it looks. After washing it off and some compound, the only thing that remains is the dent, a long thin scratch from the wheel to about 8 inches into the door, and a scratched area on the bottom from the tire.

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
By the way, how's the tint job at tintmax? I am thinking of heading over there in a couple weeks.
He's a great guy, work is excellent; I have no complaints. I was actually headed back there because the 30% I got on my rear windshield was just too light, so I had it changed to 20% and the felt on one of my wipers came off so I had to get that fixed. Just make an appt before you go.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Race Director

If the cops did the right thing, that's hit and run, as the guy left the scene... So by tomorrow he should have a warrant out for his arrest. Cool
Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Safety Car

I give everyone right of way... Ive had it with stupid kids in NY always messin around n trying to get somewhere fast...or trying to egg you on because you have a fast car...stupid things have happened to me too.... usually the ones who dont care for their cars like we do; are the donkeys who drive like morons... and yes NY drivers do suck.... not all of them.... but a majority of them suck. I just cruise now n say fuck all... I dont need or want those and other junk boxes within 10 feet of my car. ThAnkS.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Advanced

I loathe driving through NYC and NJ. Sometime I wish they'd let me drive the humvee between duty stations. I'd introduce those idiots to my armored plates.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:09 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
just so you know that is $4k in damage so I sure hope you saw his plate # and state clearly so you can get at that asshole

I would've gotten in my car and went afterhim, but I am insane in the membrane
Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Damn dude! you didnt get his plate number? NYC drivers are the worse
Old 10-12-2008, 10:47 PM
steeez

Originally Posted by playa4real
So yeah I went to pull over and he slowed down..I was like you better be pulling over with me.. In any case he pulled over and he started arguing with me saying it was my fault. I told him to exchange information, but he wasn't having it so I said let's call the cops and they can take care of everything. He decided not to and got in his car and left. Before he could drive off, I wrote down his plate, called the cops, and told them what happened. We'll see what they write up in the report.
thats basically a hit and run. good thing you got his plates, thats pretty much all u had to do.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Drifting

my friend was driving her 11 day brand new nissan altima when some guy decided to speed till he was right behind her then he cut to the left lane(she was in the right lane, 2 lane road) then he swerved back infront of her and clipped her front driver fender with his rear passenger and then sent her spinning into 2 parked cars then spun again and landed on its side against a tree and he kept going... dumb freakin people, it really bothers me... and the car was totaled back in july and just got a new car from insurance on this past thursday
Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
You couldn't fathom how badly I would have beaten that guy if that were me.

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Same here although a couple court cases calmed me down a bit even though they were totally justified.

I had a car full of 20yr olds recently go to pass me on the left shoulder. I told the girlfriend if they throw up any debris and it hits my car, I'm beating them. I had barely finished the sentence before my car got hit with crap thrown up by their car. I caught them at the light and they were laughing so I rolled down the window and let them know they hit my car. The driver said something about "oh you want money or something" and I told him I wanted him to pull behind the shopping center around the corner so we could talk about it. The car full of idiots ended up running and getting dangerous so I quit chasing them and reported the license plate.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yeah that is technically a hit and run. You got him. Regardless of the circumstance it will be his fault. Don't be nice man, NAIL HIM for that.

BTW my biggest pet peeve driving in NY? NOBODY freakin uses their signals on the highway!!! Why is that? They weave lanes erratically and spontaneously. They just jump lane to lane whenever the freak they want to, without looking. Most drivers don't understand what a blind spot is! I have to always look 360 degrees before I do a lane change because you never know who will pop out of where in dense traffic.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Racer

BLACKACURA I thought your car was pretty much a goner. You got it all fixed already?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 AM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
yea people are ignorant sometimes....last month an 18 wheeler didnt see me to his right and switched lane and his big tires hit my outside mirror and bent it outwards....and we were going 70 mph on interstate. I honked my horn and he didn't hear and he still kept switching lanes...and I couldn't do anything cuz to my right is a cement block....only thing i had left was slam on my brakes. Lucky I brake hard enough that only his back tires hit my mirror and bent it outwards...slight minor scuffs but barely noticeable. My initial reaction was to veer to my right and once i almost did, i notice the cement blocks and came literally inches to hitting it. I was pretty much sandwiched in a tight squeeze.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Encountered a similar situation today in San Francisco. Got on 280S, saw a NBP TL-S tailing me. Passing me out, changing like 4 lanes no signals. Speeding, braking head, etc etc. I drove perfectly normal, still caught up to her. She was Caucasian female estimated around 20 years old. I was seriously pissed off at the fact she was treating her TL like that. Disgusted and angered.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I won't lie a switch lanes without signaling, I am guilty of that

But yo seriously, #1 yellow cabs, #2 lincoln town car cabs

Ps. Female drivers and old people
Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Pro

yeah..hopefully he has his insurance and they cover it, i'm not trying to pay for someone elses stupidity.

but you guys are right, def a bunch of idiots driving around in ny
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
Damn dude! you didn't get his plate number? NYC drivers are the worse
NYC drivers are the worse? Stupid general statement, we are actually the most experienced, excluding teenagers, females and old people. New Jersey by the last census is regarded as the worst state.
And of course we have a much higher probability for an accident, our pool of drivers is huge, millions of cars...the city registers over 100K cars a day crossing the bridges to Manhattan....and this is the smallest borough.

And he did get his plate number, people don't read threads no more?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
NOBODY freakin uses their signals on the highway!!! Why is that?
Dude, it's freaken hard to flip that switch man, our hands can't reach... Now picture an 18 wheeler do that to you? I've had many hair raising experiences like that

I wish all drivers, especially in NY, must be retested every 3-5 years, not just a renewal fee.... Review of basis rules, road test...etc...etc...
Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
from d.c. to tennessee

the worst drivers are here in tennessee. we still have first generation drivers!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM
3GTLS

That's definitely a hit and run but there might have been a good reason why the SUV did it.
As you said in your post, when you switched lanes you saw the SUV 500 feet behind you quickly catching up. If he was that close you shouldn't have switched lanes at all after seeing him in the side view mirror.
This leads me to two conclusions: 1. you didn't even check your side view mirror (something that is very common) or 2. you did check it, you did see him but you either couldn't estimate how far he was or didn't care.

I am not saying this was your fault. But there is a possibility it could be. There are several things that really upset me about US drivers and this incident could easily involve two of them:
1. You'll never run out of blinker fluid so don't be affraid to use your blinkers
2. Side view mirror are not there just for decoration. Use them!!
3. SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Pro

^^ Before switching lanes, I checked my rear view and my side view, turned on my signal and switched. The left lane was clear. When I switched into the far left lane he was quite a distance away (500ft is just an estimate), but he was gaining on me pretty fast. As for my speed, I was keeping up with traffic in the fast lane, not driving slowly. The slower traffic was to the right. I figured he would slow down as he approached my car but no way did I think he was going to pass me from the shoulder (that's when I saw him in my side view mirror).

You shouldn't jump to conclusions
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by stillhere153
just so you know that is $4k in damage so I sure hope you saw his plate # and state clearly so you can get at that asshole

I would've gotten in my car and went afterhim, but I am insane in the membrane
4K?!? That's insane. It definitely looks a lot worse in that pic than it does after using some rubbing compound and washing the car.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by playa4real
^^ Before switching lanes, I checked my rear view and my side view, turned on my signal and switched. The left lane was clear. When I switched into the far left lane he was quite a distance away (500ft is just an estimate), but he was gaining on me pretty fast. As for my speed, I was keeping up with traffic in the fast lane, not driving slowly. The slower traffic was to the right. I figured he would slow down as he approached my car but no way did I think he was going to pass me from the shoulder (that's when I saw him in my side view mirror).

You shouldn't jump to conclusions
Sorry, I didn't mean to throw the blame on you or to attack you in any way! Since I wasn't there, I am just using the infromation that I have from your posts.
I was merely trying to illustrate how easy it could be for the SUV driver to be in a situation where the shoulder is the only way to avoid rear-ending you. I don't know how far he really was but 500 feet is not a long way especially when you have to slow an SUV down from excessive speeds.
I can describe many times when I've had to slam on you brakes because some ass-hat decided that (s)he wanted to be in the left lame and didn't bother to check the side view mirror (or didn't care that I was coming down at 90mph).
Using the mirrors in a car is a very big pet-peeve of mine and it might have affected my response to you
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Pro

^ its all good man.

you're right, 500ft isnt much esp. at high speeds. It was probably more than that - there was more than adequate room to slow down without having to slam on the brakes