Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my Type Shiny got punched in the face today =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
my Type Shiny got punched in the face today =(

I got into my first car accident today after having been with it for about 1 year 4 months now.

The other driver was such a complete asshole I can't even describe it with words. The entire time he said 3 things to me...

How you want to do this?
You sure you want to do that?
You know you are gonna lose?

I called the cops and told them my side of the story. He repeated the "you know you are gonna lose" line like 5 times to me.

Luckily for you guys I had my camera with me, so I took pictures.

I take very good care of my car and wash it myself all the time. I even nicknamed my car the Type Shiny. Here is one pic of it after I finished cleaning and waxing it.

This is how it went down. In this picture you can see my car in the left lane. I am driving minding my own business, and there is NO TRAFFIC in front of me. Then this guy decides to come into my lane since there is no traffic which makes sense. Problem is the guy in front of him did the same thing which made the driver in front of me brake to like 0 mph.

I am probably driving at like a steady 25-30 mph before this happened and I was expecting the other driver to actually accelerate when he came into my lane because maybes hes in a rush? Nope, he butts into my lane and BRAKES RIGHT AWAY. WTF?! That threw me off, but I was forced to brake and ABS kicked in because I tried to match the way the other guy braked in front of me and then I ran right into him. Il admit the roads were wet but at no point in time was I tailgating anyone at any point in time before this happened.

The first thing he said to me is how you want to do this? I told him I was calling the cops and asked for his insurance info. He told me lets wait for the cops then. Fine with me, I got his plates already.

Then he tells me I am going to lose. Ok.. when did I say I was worried about winning or losing? I am doing what I have been told to do, which is to call the cops and get a police report written. What an asshole... he told me MULTIPLE times I am going to lose.

His car on the bridge

My car on the bridge

Another angle of my car after the cops made us get off the bridge

So we are off the bridge now.. and this guy is still telling me I am going to lose. What a douchebag.

The hood is not aligned properly, the bumper is not aligned properly, there are stretch mark lookin things all over the paint in the bumper, there is a hole in the bumper, the acura grille is pushed in towards the engine. I dont think there is any damage to the fenders.

I plan on going through insurance. How much $$$ in damages does this look like to you guys?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Shit that sucks. That guy does sound like an ass, probably jealous of your car.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to say it dude but they may not cover it fully, in any rear end accident there is a (i believe) 90-10 fault rate. Its considered the person who rear ended someones fault every time, because you should have been back further (not saying ur story dosnt make sense, just stating the laws.)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn, that sucks because you rear-ended him. And even though it's not your fault they will most likely find you at fault if you claim insurance. Sucks, his car barely has any damage and yours got it bad. Damn NY drivers, I wouldv'e smacked the shit out of him if I were you. What a punk ass. Where in Queens are you from btw? Good luck with the fix.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Future TL Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear man.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
that is about 4k worth of damage, new, if nothing internally is wrong. I am leaning toward a new radiator, but thats not too much $. Your headlight looks to be bent as well. You can fix it yourself and buy the parts from a junk yard and such. Replacing the bumper, headlight, grille and hood are no biggies. I would get everything checked out first by a mechanic to make sure everything else is sound. Or you can buy duct tape, there is nothing duct tape wont fix, hahahah.

For a side note, the laws do suck. I would get the cops to write him a wreck-less driving ticket at-least. I feel bad for people that get in the situation that you are in, because its just wrong how it works.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
Sorry to say it dude but they may not cover it fully, in any rear end accident there is a (i believe) 90-10 fault rate. Its considered the person who rear ended someones fault every time, because you should have been back further (not saying ur story dosnt make sense, just stating the laws.)
wrong, if the driver makes an unsafe lane change, it could be the front cars fault. Insurance companies are well aware of these types of accidents and will look into it.

Did you get cited?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I told the police officer he came into my lane and braked.

I won't know how this will turn out until I see the police report. The entire time it was raining so there wasn't much exchanging of words.

$4k.... GG

Last edited by Yvuru; 03-22-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The thing is how can he prove that the guy made a lane change....
Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 PM
University of Tennessee

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, the pics look like it would help you out. Since it's his left rear and your right front (from what I can see). So that to me would corroborate your story of that guy cutting in front of you. But I've always heard that in a rear end accident, it's always the person from behinds fault, even if he rolls back into you. Which doesn't make since to me, but any how... Good luck to you getting your baby back to normal Type Shiny condition.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Pro

make sure you keep your story right when your insurance calls. do you have full coverage? expect to have % increase on your policy.... good luck.

does not look as bad as you think it is. you're better off paying out of pocket...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
damage to his left side of rear bumper and to your front bumper's right side? looks totally like he was changing lanes, didn't check his blind spot and hit you while he was gettin into your lane...no other way to get that kind of damage IMO.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Points of impact show he didn't clearly have his lane of travel established before impact occurred. The action he took resulted in the accident, b/c it's a rear end accident doesn't mean you're automatically at fault with this type of scenario. If I were your adjuster I would more than likely find him at fault, but unfortuantely for you I'm not. Any witnesses? Be sure you send the photos to your adjuster when one is assigned.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it sucks that it is that way. I hope all goes your way.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That's exactly why I don't even allow an inch for another car to get in front of me. If they're trying to get over I match their speed or get ahead of them if there is room. Especially in merge lane situations going slow, traffic like. I don't mean highway merge lanes. I always move over for those.

I'll be the first to admit it. Sometimes to avoid the assholes on the road you have to be a bigger asshole. If they try to get over, f them, match their speed and refuse to let them in. Let them know they belong behind you so you will never rear end anyone. Guaranteed.

Also, if you witness an accident. Just drive away. You'll end up getting sued eventually. This is what is happening with my folks. An accident we were never involved in happened 4 years ago. Our car was never touched. Now after all this time my folks are getting sued because the other people think my dad caused them to slam into another car. They are just out for money since their car was totaled and they had to pay to fix the other persons car they ran into. That's why I will never stay at the scene of an accident, and definitley why no one is going to get my info. Sorry for the rant...but seeing accidents like this with dumbass drivers pulling dumbass manuevers just pisses me off. I am referring to the Accord guy.

OP IMO there was nothing you could have done. You were right to wait for the police to arrive. I hope everything works out.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 AM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
sorry to hear man... now you get to put a CF hood and a new bumper.. good luck with the fix
Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NCTL05
That's exactly why I don't even allow an inch for another car to get in front of me. If they're trying to get over I match their speed or get ahead of them if there is room. Especially in merge lane situations going slow, traffic like. I don't mean highway merge lanes. I always move over for those.

I'll be the first to admit it. Sometimes to avoid the assholes on the road you have to be a bigger asshole. If they try to get over, f them, match their speed and refuse to let them in. Let them know they belong behind you so you will never rear end anyone. Guaranteed.

Also, if you witness an accident. Just drive away. You'll end up getting sued eventually. This is what is happening with my folks. An accident we were never involved in happened 4 years ago. Our car was never touched. Now after all this time my folks are getting sued because the other people think my dad caused them to slam into another car. They are just out for money since their car was totaled and they had to pay to fix the other persons car they ran into. That's why I will never stay at the scene of an accident, and definitley why no one is going to get my info. Sorry for the rant...but seeing accidents like this with dumbass drivers pulling dumbass manuevers just pisses me off. I am referring to the Accord guy.

OP IMO there was nothing you could have done. You were right to wait for the police to arrive. I hope everything works out.
Hahaha, I like the way you think. But I was just chillin at the moment, it happened so fast I was wondering if I just stopped really hard or if I actually hit the guy. =(
Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boomersooner02000
Points of impact show he didn't clearly have his lane of travel established before impact occurred. The action he took resulted in the accident, b/c it's a rear end accident doesn't mean you're automatically at fault with this type of scenario. If I were your adjuster I would more than likely find him at fault, but unfortuantely for you I'm not. Any witnesses? Be sure you send the photos to your adjuster when one is assigned.
Thanks for your input.

There were multiple cops who stopped by and asked if anyone was hurt, but no real witnesses.

The second cop who stopped by told me that he would write me a police report but it wasn't in his jurisdiction, and that the cops who had to write my report had to go on the bridge and then come back around towards me. It must have sucked seeing the traffic they had to sit through while driving by in the opposite direction.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Instructor

This is a common scheme to get a check out of an insurance company, its happening a lot more with the recession too.
Luckily insurance companies know this, good luck
Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NCTL05
So to prevent someone from merging in front of you, you speed up and tailgate the person who's already in front of you. And you piss off the guy trying to merge, which makes him drive less safely too.

Exactly how is this a good idea?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me on my old car, they changed lanes as i was speeding up and couldn't stop, so i rear ended them.

Sadly for me i was speeding and I'm 17, so of course i'm going to be a fault, but the cop said if i wasn't speeding it would have been their fault. Good luck with fighting with that asshole, if all else fails he could possibly wake up with a mysterious smashed windshield? Good luck!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
x2 sorry it happened man but in NY if you rear-end someone your automatically at fault unless you can prove it was a unsafe lane change.....let insurance take care of it and chalk it up to bad luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Yvuru
....The second cop who stopped by told me that he would write me a police report but it wasn't in his jurisdiction....
Did he witness the actions of the other driver? If so and you have the officer's contact info/badge#, you're golden...

You could also fork out some $$$ and place a classified ad asking for witnesses to contact you. Long shot, but it might be fruitful...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately for me everyone was too busy to stop and say anything except the few police officers. But they were just wondering if anyone was hurt.

The entire time I was on the bridge leading up to the incident not once did I or any other driver around me make a FULL stop, except this asshole in the Accord. Not once have I ever been in a car accident and now I have to deal with this BS.

I will pickup my police report tomorrow.

So how much $$ in damages does it look to everyone?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but this would be classified as an at fault loss. your insurance company will look at the points of impact, if your point of impact were on your passenger side front bumper then that would change things. but with the points of impact directly in your center bumper this is going to be at fault...sorry
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
You live in a "no-fault" state so your insurance company will be paying for his damages.

Here's more info:

http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/a...-accidents.htm
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shellready
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but this would be classified as an at fault loss. your insurance company will look at the points of impact, if your point of impact were on your passenger side front bumper then that would change things. but with the points of impact directly in your center bumper this is going to be at fault...sorry
The damage isn't really in the center of my bumper, I will try and post up more pictures. If you were standing by the driver side of the front fender you wouldn't be able to tell there was damage.

He butt in real good into my lane =(
AND MY LANE WAS CLEAR!!!! WTF

Last edited by Yvuru; 03-23-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

ahh that suks bro, my car got kicked in the ass the other day while standing still in heavy trafic =(

this was the idiot

Old 03-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Acuras Only in

Sorry to see your pics & hear your story .... hard to predict what the insurance is gonna say but my guess will be like 49 -51 or 40-60, pitting both of you at fault so that rate might go up in both sides ?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
ahh that suks bro, my car got kicked in the ass the other day while standing still in heavy trafic =(

this was the idiot

At least the other guy hit you
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

i think since its NY, we have no fault laws here , so both insurance go up and i think they always split the blame
Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Too hard to give an estimate on what your likely damages are going to be, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is above 5k.

Sounds like you are going to have to deal with some shit given how the other guy reacted. Too bad no witnesses to corroborate what your side. These things can get quite messy.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:30 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Originally Posted by Yvuru
At least the other guy hit you
bro its ok things happens, 1 day i ran into a minivan and had to pay $1200 + 1 i had to get a new bumper and grill for my car too out my own pocket to fix it, just cuz i droped my phone and i bent to pick it up, i learn from my mistakes and im sure u will too

good luck with everything man
Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subinf
Too hard to give an estimate on what your likely damages are going to be, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is above 5k.

Sounds like you are going to have to deal with some shit given how the other guy reacted. Too bad no witnesses to corroborate what your side. These things can get quite messy.
First 4k, now 5k

This gonna suck cuz I am gonna want OEM replacement parts.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Racer

Don't feel bad guys. I just traded my TL in for a 550 and I had an ignorant accident in that one too after only 2 days of owning it (driver hit me while stopped). Her insurance isn't even able to contact her so they can't even determine liability yet. Sometimes, things just suck.

Good luck with everyone's repairs though.

Just fyi, my car is at Martino Auto Concepts for repair again. Impeccable work and very nice/professional to deal with. If insurance is paying, I highly recommend it.

http://www.martinoautoconcepts.com/
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

^ i always herd good things about them , but they are very pricy
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
for you to fight that he cut you off, the damages would need to be on the corner of your passenger side bumper and your passenger front fender...based off the pictures this won't be a percentage case
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

You will def need a new front bumper, the headlight seems to be ok, but i think you will need to replace the hood too if you cant get it to sit flush again. some guy hit me in the parking lot and i needed my front bumper replaced, it cost him less than 2k, ill see if i can find the actual reciept for the repair
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
isnt there some sort of black box or computer that details ur driving so it should tell you when u braked and how fast and such?

Quick Reply: my Type Shiny got punched in the face today =(