Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My TL slipped on wet road

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TL slipped on wet road

I am almost on 25K miles..does that tell me I need new tires?

also something blinked in the tachometer when it happened...couldn't figure out what it was...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
The blinking thing was the VSA/Traction Control.

Your tire wear pattern and treadlife indicators tell you if you need new tires. Slipping a wet road tells you that you should slow down.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
you saw the vsa trying to assist you. the tl is good but not a miracle worker. where are you located?you sure it wasn't black ice?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

just be careful how fast you step on the gas. TL is very powerful with a good amount of torque!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Now can a TL Blend?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clavodulce16
just be careful how fast you step on the gas. TL is very powerful with a good amount of torque!
fixed
Old 02-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i dont know if its your tire, but i have 5k miles on my type s, and the other day i was driving down the highway at 65mph in the rain when all of a sudden my car started to cross up on me and hydroplane...there was a truck right next to me and i was like holy shit...somehow the car corrected itself(vsa) and i went about my business, changing my shorts when i got home ofcourse...i just think the oem michelin tires suck, as did the oem michelins on my last car...dont know what it is about oem michelins, they hydroplane alot...i usually go to aftermarket bridgestones when tires are needed....
Old 02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree about the Michelins being poor in the wet and snow. Last year I couldn't get out of my driveway (06 auto w/Michelins). Had to dig a lot more snow. My previous car had Goodyear Eagles and was great in the snow and rain. My car two cars prior had Michelins and it was poor in the rain and snow also (it didn't have any traction controls then). I think Michelin blends their rubber compound to give long treadwear vs wet ability. I have 32,000 on my tires and they still look new. I remember however that I easily got over 60,000 out of my Goodyears.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Racer

hi...yeah I was probably hitting the gas pedal too hard....but even my accord before never slipped, but again may be because TL has more power....

hmmm, VSA...I thought that thing was pretty useless..still not sure if it really helped me from further slipping..
Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by handy911
hi...yeah I was probably hitting the gas pedal too hard....but even my accord before never slipped, but again may be because TL has more power....

hmmm, VSA...I thought that thing was pretty useless..still not sure if it really helped me from further slipping..
why would you think vsa is useless...have you read the technical info on what the system does...maybe you should read up on their website about vsa, i think this might help you understand what the system does....
Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I find the VSA to be incredible. I will never buy another car without it. Or at least something similar.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whatever you do, never put Cruise Control in rainy weather, that's just asking for trouble. I almost killed myself doing that, well not really, but it's funny when the car is trying to maintain speed and yet at the same time trying to keep you from dying. I quickly turned cruise control off and tried to get myself out of the puddle as gently as possible.

By the way remember, never apply the brakes if you're slipping, VSA manages the brakes to the ensure stability, when you apply the brakes you'll end up going in a ditch, I believe someone was practicing taking aggressive corners in the rain with the TL. He tried it with VSA on and off and with it on he applied the brakes as if VSA was off and ended up into a bush.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Eoanou
Whatever you do, never put Cruise Control in rainy weather, that's just asking for trouble. I almost killed myself doing that, well not really, but it's funny when the car is trying to maintain speed and yet at the same time trying to keep you from dying. I quickly turned cruise control off and tried to get myself out of the puddle as gently as possible.

By the way remember, never apply the brakes if you're slipping, VSA manages the brakes to the ensure stability, when you apply the brakes you'll end up going in a ditch, I believe someone was practicing taking aggressive corners in the rain with the TL. He tried it with VSA on and off and with it on he applied the brakes as if VSA was off and ended up into a bush.
When VSA kicks in, it automatically turns off cruise control.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
When VSA kicks in, it automatically turns off cruise control.
That's good to know, because I always use cruise control when I go on a trip. I always leave VSA on also. Smart car - smart engineers.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
07 tl-s... a couple of weeks ago i was making a left turn and it was a little slick outside; i guess i accelerated a little during the turn bit but not much and well i started hydroplaning a little and it freaked me out. maybe im not used to the power of this car considering my previous was a civic so i really take it easy in the rain for now... until i get better tires
Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I am almost on 25K miles..does that tell me I need new tires?

also something blinked in the tachometer when it happened...couldn't figure out what it was...
It tells me you should read the manual.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Racer

For my own advice, and probably others in here, what are tires that are meant to handle well in poor conditions, and if they are specifically designed for poor weather, is there some sort of trade-off in good conditions? This is for an 07 TL-S - everything stock.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by nyclio
For my own advice, and probably others in here, what are tires that are meant to handle well in poor conditions, and if they are specifically designed for poor weather, is there some sort of trade-off in good conditions? This is for an 07 TL-S - everything stock.
Basically All Season (AS) or M+S (Mud and Snow) are designed for a variety of weather conditions.

"Summer" tires are designed for warm weather and many are good in Wet and Dry, BUT not in cold or snow.

There are ALWAYS trade-offs. Softer compound Summer Tires grip better, but get hard and slick in colder weather. All Seasons offer better multi-weather use, but usually trade off some dry weather handling. OTOH, Summer Tires wear faster than AS.

There is also a lot of variation in Ride Comfort, Noise Comfort and Wear/Tread-Life.

I've bought low cost tires before (many times) and I have come to believe that you get what you pay for - up to a point. In a given category (Max Performance Summer or Ultra High Performance All Season or Grand Touring All Season, etc, etc) I'd say the top 1/3 in price are probably the best tires, overall, in that category. Again, there are exceptions, but as a rule of thumb, it probably holds up pretty well.

Tire Rack Survey's like this one are a great resource: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

So are their Tests: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp
Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adobeman
It tells me you should read the manual.
x2 to that.

VSA is most definitely NOT useless.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by clavodulce16
Now can a TL Blend?

HAHA i get it. But I don't know of a blender that big.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vinnier6
why would you think vsa is useless...have you read the technical info on what the system does...maybe you should read up on their website about vsa, i think this might help you understand what the system does....
I'd like to read more about VSA than Acura provides....what's the website you mentioned??
Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 PM
AZ Community Team

This is good place to start:

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/4213

VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST™ (VSA®)

The TL is equipped with 4-channel Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) that helps the driver retain control of the car in the event that the vehicle reaches its traction limits. For example, this may occur during aggressive cornering, encountering ice or dirt on the road, or entering a decreasing-radius corner too fast.

In the event of understeer, the system can apply the inside front and rear brakes to increase yaw, slowing the vehicle and enabling it to complete the turn. Engine power may be reduced by coordination of the Drive-by-Wire Throttle System™ and powertrain control module.

The 4-channel VSA® system controls all four brakes independently. In the event of oversteer (a condition where the rear tires lose grip), the system can apply the outside front and rear brakes to decrease yaw, slowing the vehicle and enabling it to stay on its intended path.

An indicator light on the instrument panel alerts the driver whenever the VSA system is actively enhancing the vehicle's stability.

The traction control component of VSA uses sensors that monitor each of the wheels and a computer-controlled modulation of engine power and front brakes to help prevent wheel spin when starting out or briskly accelerating. If the sensors detect wheel spin, traction control reduces engine power and applies brake force to the affected wheels. This helps the TL maintain traction during acceleration and helps the driver retain steering control, even when accelerating on slippery surfaces.

A cockpit-mounted switch is provided to disable the vehicle stability and traction control aspects of the system while retaining a fully functional ABS system.

If you have Navi and use the <MAP><MENU><CANCEL> buttons to get to the diagnostics screen. From there you can find the screen with the Yaw sensor readouts. You can actually drive and watch the vehicle measure/report change in Yaw dynamically.

Further there is a setting there that I *guess* allows a change in the VSA activation point (differential between steering angle and yaw). Without some kind of manual, this is just a Wild Ass Guess on my part though.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Early Description of VSA (2000 RL)

NEW VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST (VSA) SYSTEM

Building on Acura's long history of advancing the science of automotive handling stability and control, the 2000 3.5RL now comes standard with a state-of-the-art Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system. Developed in cooperation with Bosch, this four-channel system orchestrates the throttle and each of the RL's four disc brakes independently to seamlessly integrate traction control, anti-lock braking and stability enhancement processes under widely divergent road and driving conditions.

By monitoring input from six vehicle sensors, the VSA can calculate a predicted range of vehicle response while constantly monitoring the vehicle's actual response and the driver's control inputs. If the actual response is outside of the predicted response range-as when cornering forces exceed the tire's performance, for example, VSA automatically intervenes with corrective action. In the case of oversteer during hard cornering (which might lead to spin), VSA applies braking to the outside front wheel to counter the unintended yawing tendency. On the other hand, if understeer becomes pronounced, VSA applies braking to the inside front wheel to turn the RL back onto the intended course.

Unlike some vehicle stability systems which can seem intrusive to enthusiast drivers, the Acura VSA is calibrated to add to stability and predictability, without stifling the driving enjoyment of the RL's carefully engineered chassis and double wishbone suspension. An indicator light flashes on the instrument panel while the system is actively stabilizing the vehicle. A cockpit switch is provided to disable the vehicle stability and traction control aspects of the system while leaving the antilock braking system fully functional.
http://www.hondanews.com/search/rele...?q=VSA&s=acura