Sponsored by:

My NBP got hit from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My NBP got hit from the rear

B4 I starts with my long tragic story, I got two questions

First, I did not go to dealer for Service B because they quoted me $200 for the maintenance. Instead I go to firestone which I previously service my honda civic for the past 8 yrs and they did an execellent job on it. And I use Castrol SYNTEC Oil 5w-20, does anyone else tried it other than me? for me it works great and I can feel the difference as the engine was much smoother. What is ppl's choice brand for synthetic oil?

Second, I found my center concole (below the arm rest) like a freezer! after air condition is on for 10 mins it is extremely code in there. and the quaters take out from the coin holder will easily form drew, so I always give the drive through cashier with WET coins, does anyone else also experience this problem? I just took my car to the dealer today to fix the headliner and also ask them to check my AC and they said everything was connected and it is normal that way, are they telling me the truth or they just try to send me away?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sept 07 i was on my way back to the dealer for a Service B, while I stopped at a traffic light waiting for a green light, someone driving a 96 white mitsubishi galant hit my 7month old 04 NBP TL. The worst part is not yet over. The galant was totally wrecked and not drivable at all. The engine oil start to leak and the guy came out from his car and ask me to call the police. Then he ran way ON FOOT 30 mins later police finally came and found out the car owner's car insurance had expired last yr Nov! So the fix charges will have to come out my own insurance under the uninsured motorist policy which has a $200 deductible and my next premium will increase for $122 for the next 6 month even though I am not at fault. According to insurance company logic, although I am not at fault but they believe I am kind of driver would put my car in a dangerous situation which makes other driver easier to make mistake! WTF is that kind of logic? My car is complete stop waiting for the green light. There were two cars in front of me. How on earth did I put my car in harms way?

p.s. the car hit me from behind roughly @ 30 mph and the road was wet and slippery on that day. so my car was hit hard and back of my car was lifted and push to the left. Amazingly I didn't hit the car in front of me but I was sure that when the car was hit due to impact, i did let go the break pedal for a second or so! I think the car's sensor sense that and Automatically locks all my wheels for me! I have to say this car is really damn safe!

Anyway Here is the pics

here is the ESTIMATE from Geico
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   NO.       OP.          DESCRIPTION           QTY EXT. PRICE LABOR   PAINT   
    1               REAR BUMPER                                                
    2            O/H REAR BUMPER                                 1.5           
N   3       REPL BUMPER COVER                    1   275.22    INCL.     2.8   
    4            ADD FOR CLEAR COAT                                      1.1   
    5*      REPL BUMPER COVER CLIP              10    23.30    INCL.*          
    6*      REPL RT BUMPER COVER SCREW           1     0.38    INCL.*          
    7*      REPL LT BUMPER COVER SCREW           1     0.38    INCL.*          
    8*      REPL RT BUMPER COVER BRACKET         1     3.45    INCL.*          
    9*      REPL LT BUMPER COVER BRACKET         1     3.45    INCL.*          
   10*      REPL RT BUMPER COVER BOLT            1     2.63    INCL.*          
   11*      REPL LT BUMPER COVER BOLT            1     2.63    INCL.*          
   12*      REPL RT TRIM RING                    1    42.33    INCL.*          
   13*      REPL LT TRIM RING                    1    42.33    INCL.*          
   14       REPL ENERGY ABSORBER                 1    55.98    INCL.           
   15       R&I  REINF BEAM                                    INCL.           
   16               REAR LAMPS                                                 
N  17       REPL RT TAIL LAMP                    1   147.62    INCL.           
N  18       R&I  LT TAIL LAMP                                  INCL.           
   19       R&I  RT SIDE MARKER LAMP                             0.3           
   20       R&I  LT SIDE MARKER LAMP                             0.3           
   21       R&I  REFLECTOR PANEL                                 0.4           
   22               TRUNK LID                                                  
   23*      RPR  TRUNK LID                                       5.0*    2.3   
   24            OVERLAP MAJOR ADJ. PANEL                               -0.4   
   25            ADD FOR CLEAR COAT                                      0.4   
   26       REPL EMBLEM "A"                      1    21.43      0.2           
   27       REPL NAMEPLATE "ACURA"               1    16.33      0.2           
   28       REPL NAMEPLATE "TL"                  1    14.13      0.2           
   29               REAR BODY & FLOOR                                          
   30       REPL REAR BODY PANEL                 1   123.33      6.5     1.2   
   31            OVERLAP MAJOR ADJ. PANEL                               -0.4   
   32            ADD FOR CLEAR COAT                                      0.2   
   33            ADD FOR INSIDE                                          0.6   
N  34*      RPR  REAR FLOOR PAN                                 10.0*    1.5   
   35               QUARTER PANEL                                              
N  36*      RPR  RT QUARTER PANEL                                1.0*    2.8   
   37            OVERLAP MAJOR ADJ. PANEL                               -0.4   
   38            ADD FOR CLEAR COAT                                      0.5   
N  39       BLND LT QUARTER PANEL                                        1.4   
   40               EXHAUST SYSTEM                                             
N  41       REPL MUFFLER & PIPE                  1   525.00   M  1.0           
   42*      REPL RT HEAT SHIELD REAR MUFFLER     1     5.68      0.3*          
   43*      REPL REAR MOUNT                      1     6.37      0.3*          
N  44#      SUBL FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT            1    59.95  X                 
N  45#      SUBL SETUP, MEASURE & ALIGN          1   228.00  X        F        
N  46#      SUBL TOWING                          1   136.00  X                 
   47#           HAZ. WASTE REMOVAL              1              12.0  1        
                                SUBTOTALS ==>       1735.92     39.2    13.6 

PARTS                                        1311.97
                           BODY LABOR            27.2 HRS  @$ 38.00/HR  1033.60
                           PAINT LABOR           13.6 HRS  @$ 38.00/HR   516.80
                           HAZ WASTE             12.0 HRS  @$  0.25/HR     3.00
                           PAINT SUPPLIES        13.6 HRS  @$ 22.00/HR   299.20
                           SUBLET/MISC.                                  423.95
                           ----------------------------------------------------
                           SUBTOTAL                                   $ 3588.52
                           SALES TAX               $ 1311.97  @ 5.0000%   65.60
                           TOTAL COST OF REPAIRS                      $ 3654.12

ADJUSTMENTS:                                        
                             DEDUCTIBLE                                 200.00
                           TOTAL ADJUSTMENTS                          $ 200.00
                           NET COST OF REPAIRS                        $ 3454.12
Later the body shop found out more damage to the trunk link and the total cost went to $3958
Old 10-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Yanks in '08!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch. sorry to hear about your accident. my car got hit from the behind also last week. same like you. stopped at a red light and this lady bumps me at 5-10 mph. only minor scratches towards the bottom of the bumper but my car is only over a month old...
Old 10-07-2004, 11:57 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
damn thats bad bro

to hear about this.... i need to replace my cars rear bumper too
Old 10-08-2004, 12:52 AM
registered !!

Originally Posted by EluSiOn
Second, I found my center concole (below the arm rest) like a freezer! after air condition is on for 10 mins it is extremely code in there. and the quaters take out from the coin holder will easily form drew, so I always give the drive through cashier with WET coins, does anyone else also experience this problem?
Yeah and did u notice the metallic lines near the center console turn really really cold too. I think its because the rear a/c ducts are running right close/underneath the center console and those metallic line areas.
And yeah i have the same issue too, not really a problem for me.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Fuck Geico. I hope State Farm won't give me that kinda bullshit if it ever happens. Goes to show that cute commercials does not exempt you from getting screwd when you need the insurance most.

BTW who has had good experience when dealing with insurance? and what company?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Ah.. I feel for you. I understand how you feel. Sorry to hear about that bro. I really know how you feel..

I JUST GOT HIT LAST THURSDAY!!! Ederly 65 year old man was coming out a side street and making a right. I was going straight on the very far left lane. There are 3 lanes.. He had two open.. Not sure but he kept on coming into my lane!! Clipped me on the rear passenger side. Have to get the whole rear right quarterpanel replaced. About 3400 bucks and not to mention they are replacing one of my 19" racing Hart CR rims. Those go for about 500-600 bucks a rim.

I only Had 2024 miles on it. NBP also.

Best of luck on your repairs and hope all is well when done.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Advanced

Sorry to hear your accident, guys. I feel the pain. I've been hit from behind when I had my RSX-S 2 years ago, and it was only 3 months old!! The driver said she was talking on her cell phone and didn't pay attention. Ugh. I hate these careless drivers.
I hope you get it fixed properly, at least.

Dan
Old 10-08-2004, 03:52 AM
9th Gear

yeah..I also got into an accident a couple of months back when some guy backs out right into my passenger door denting it and cracking the mirror. Total cost came out to about $1800 bucks. The guy gave me some bogus info and took off but I took down his plates--didn't know if that did any good. But my Insurance company asked me to take some pictures and send it to them. They paid me my deductible back plus the cost to fix the car and didn't raise my rates b/c they said that it's not my fault. Try American Express Insurance--it's quite cheap.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about your car -- accidents suck.

I got rear ended by an uninsured motorist, I have Geico.

They didn't raise my rates. There must me some other "factor"

Tickets? Other Accidents? Something?

I've been with them for 4 years. They were a little slow to pay for the damages and they undercut my estimate just like they did yours. All insurance co's do that.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
ouch man, hope everything works out and your car is like new once again, good luck
Old 10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Racer

Geico is some of the cheapest insurance you can get. It is cheap becuase they dont offer you much, people that get it dont usually depend on it much for accidents, just get it so they can legally drive by having insurance coverage. Other option is to provide a bond for yourself and have to pay NO INS! But the bond usually has to be a large amount of money, and all expenses would be out of pocket.

-BTW, real sorry about your car, what a shame. That man deserves to get his legs broken and feet cut off.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro

Damn..sorry to hear that!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:41 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NBP brother feels a pain

Ouch! Sorry to see all this. That is bad. I think you need to get the insurance lawyer. I do not think this should increase your insurance premium. I thought Geico is a good company.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I feel your pain--I got rear-ended on August 11 when I was stopped at the end of a line of cars waiting for a red light. An 18-year-old girl driving her mom's Volvo 240 wagon slammed into the back of me at 25 mph. My Accord was totaled as a result because the estimate was a bit over $7000 and the value of the car was somewhat less than that. Thank God I had stopped short of blocking the intersection (traffic was backed up to the next intersection before the light)--if I hadn't, I would have been slammed right into the car in front of me.

The insurance carriers' rationale on premiums has nothing to do with whether you "put your car in harm's way." The rationale is simple--are they paying out money for which they are not being reimbursed? In other words--in my accident, I reported my claim to my own carrier (State Farm) and they paid me within a week and are seeking subrogation from the other driver's carrier (the Hartford). Subrogation is a term in insurance law--essentially, the idea is this--if I get paid by my insurance carrier and then I go sue this girl, and I win a verdict and her insurance carrier pays me, my insurance carrier is entitled to whatever portion of the verdict is equal to the amount that they paid out--the reason is that (1) they paid money that the other insurance carrier was obligated to pay, and (2) it is against public policy for me to get a double recovery (i.e., once from insurance and again from the other party). Anything I recover in excess of what the insurance carrier paid out would still be mine.

So anyway, under the circumstances I just described where the carrier seeks subrogation, your premium shouldn't go up because your carrier isn't ultimately paying out money--it gets back what it paid. When your carrier pays you under your UIM coverage, however, they are not getting reimbursed. Odds are that if you sue the loser who hit you, you'd find he has no money to satisfy the judgment. So your insurance company winds up out-of-pocket as a result of your claim and they raise your rates.

Stinks, doesn't it?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Really PISSES you off what these insurance companies do!!!!! You pay them a fortune (at least here in Jersey you do) then you get f'd up the A in the long run. I'm paying $2,200/yr on a 99 integra w/110K on it, that's w/a clean licence. Can't wait to see what my insurance is going to be when a get a TL. ELUSION, I wonder if you parked your car and it got stolen if the insurance company would tell you that it's your fault because you didn't park it in a better area.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Racer

Let me clearify about Geico.... they are super fast in respond to my claim... they file the claim under collision policy first and send me the check in 5 days. After they received the police report, it takes them like 2 weeks to send out the difference in deductible.

Geico suppose to reduce my insurance rate for the next premium from $1534 every 6 month to $1412 (called and asked b4 the accident as my insurance gonna expired within 30 days), now my premium is going to remain the same. That is where the insurance increase came from! I also shop for other insurance as well... and I ask state farm agent becoz of accident, they said IT DOES affect my insurance rate because I am more likely NOT to get reduction after each 6 month period. I also checked progressive.com and confirmed this.

I have to say that the highway protrol sucks. Due to I have to file the claim under uninsured motorist, I need an official police report. It was a high way protrol police sent by the 911 dispatch. It is impossible to reach him and I left like 5 voice mail over a period of a week, he never respond, only until I ask a friend who work in the FBI (she is the database analyst there) to help me out, then that state trooper finally respond and send me the official police after 3 day. She also did a record check up on the car owner, and told me that I am much better off NOT to sue the other party according to their record, she hints me that they don't have $$$. Also now this car accident has become a criminal investigation because the driver hit me and ran away ON FOOT. It's a hit and run case and the case was transfer to a local country sheriff department and I have to go the court as a witness. They found out driver drove the car under a suspended license result of previous conviction of DUI. Now the dude is going to jail for hit and run.

my car was fixed last week and the body shop did a superb job on it. Still, this accident (not my fault) has cost me $322
Old 10-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Papaman677
Really PISSES you off what these insurance companies do!!!!! You pay them a fortune (at least here in Jersey you do) then you get f'd up the A in the long run. I'm paying $2,200/yr on a 99 integra w/110K on it, that's w/a clean licence. Can't wait to see what my insurance is going to be when a get a TL. ELUSION, I wonder if you parked your car and it got stolen if the insurance company would tell you that it's your fault because you didn't park it in a better area.
You are paying less insurance than I do, I had 3 speeding ticket <---- my bad. Anyway, for insurance, they don't really care who is at fault! What they really care is the risk involves. If you park your car in a bad neighborhood, it is partially your fault if someone steal your car or break into your car!

Something interesting let you know, if I was in my 1996 Honda civic, my insurance is higher than my 2004 TL! It is because Civic is rated most likely involved in an accident! Also each TL accident either at faulty or not, it will also affect every TL owner's insurance rating regardless which insurance company u used. In the end, all those is in a central big database where they try to calculate the risk of that car! My gf's insurance went up, she is 25, got a perfect clean record and never involved in any accident. It just that her 2003 Acura RSX got rated more dangerous than previous year (I guess too many reckless RSX driver out there)

Try to find out your integra insurance rating score (different from crash test score). Drive a safer car and it should reduce your insurance. BTW, camry and accord are not in the safe zone due to most car got stolen in US is Camry and most car got break in is Accord! In the end, insurance company always win. When is the last time you see an insurance company go south and even after Sept 11, it was only the Airlines bankrupt but all the insurance company got chance to increase everyone's premium.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Drifting

EluSiOn....seeing your car almost made me cry!! I'm so sorry about your accident because I know how much it must hurt having your new car damaged. Glad to hear you got it fixed and the body shop did it right the first time. Thanks for all the information about insurance companies, this thread was very informative and got me thinking about the whole insurance racket.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

Anyone acctually know a bodyshop that only charges 35 an hour and do quality work? I'd get another quote, sorry to hear about your troubles. good luck
Old 10-09-2004, 10:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EluSiOn
Second, I found my center concole (below the arm rest) like a freezer! after air condition is on for 10 mins it is extremely code in there.
The ducts to the rear seat vents run through the center console, so yes, there is some residual effect.

Think of it as a nifty beverage chiller.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Your insurance company is charging you for the loss???! What a crock!!!
Old 10-10-2004, 11:22 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
labor is cheap out there, not to mention low sales tax. 38 dollars an hour? is that a good shop, most body shops charge around 80, well at least in california.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Go USC Gamecocks!

Elusion,

A shout out from another NBP owner here in Cola town. I happened to get mine from McDaniels too. I saw your pics from the wreck and noticed the McDaniels plate on the back. I'm assuming you got hit on Two Notch?
Old 10-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by subinf
labor is cheap out there, not to mention low sales tax. 38 dollars an hour? is that a good shop, most body shops charge around 80, well at least in california.

it was john harris body shop... the best in town and they did a superb job on it. the living expensive is only 1/2 here in SC compare to CA..... (i grow up in LA Temple city)
Old 10-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chipplaysdrums
Elusion,

A shout out from another NBP owner here in Cola town. I happened to get mine from McDaniels too. I saw your pics from the wreck and noticed the McDaniels plate on the back. I'm assuming you got hit on Two Notch?
Yes I got my TL from McDaniels .... and I got hit @ two notch rd & o'neil court intersection... right across the road was the Shell Gas station.

By the way... don't go back to McDaniels for services... they are way too expensive and has a history of doing a lousy job. My GF also has an Accura, but it was RSX and she went back to the dealer to do the Service B, they forgot to put one of the wheel lock back! and she drove the car for a week with only 4 nuts on the wheel until when we find out washing the car! And we have made a form complain to the dealership and also Accura Corp. They in the end replace entire set of the wheel lock but never apologize and think it was not a big deal as if it was alright with just 4 nuts on the wheel.

here is the pic

here is the thread

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77690

Also McDaniels try to charge me to fix the "headliner" problem! They are wicked!
Old 10-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Banned

it's all about the benjamins. Don't take it to heart
Old 10-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Racer

i need more benjamins in my wallet.... i just got rob by my insurance and a dude in 96 mitsubishi galant. not to mention the dealer also trying to scam $$$ of me for a warranty fix