Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Headliner Is The Devil!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Better known as "Skoopie"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Headliner Is The Devil!

I had a WHOLE NEW HEADLINER installed by a Automotive Trim business...Long story short it fell down again. I'm fixing it myself this time. POOR POOR POOR Design on Acura's part w/ the headliner. :banghead: My grandparents f'in KIA ...their Headliner doesn't fall down..... ...I'm ticked off
Old 04-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I hereby nominate XBrian as CFO of "Team Headliner". Maybe we should have a seperate forum for the headliner folks? Ooh. Yesterday, I found a pebble in my front left tire. A pebble! Can you believe it? Let's blame Acura for that too.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:25 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boltjames
I hereby nominate XBrian as CFO of "Team Headliner". Maybe we should have a seperate forum for the headliner folks? Ooh. Yesterday, I found a pebble in my front left tire. A pebble! Can you believe it? Let's blame Acura for that too.
Yes, the tred is poorly designed, non-self expeling j/k
Old 04-09-2004, 08:16 AM
VTEC HoooA

Since this car is based on the Accord platform, and uses the exact same headliner material, is this issue inherent to the headliner (i.e. it is present on all cars with this type of headliner) or is this inherent to the TL??

If it is the latter they need better quality control. The headliner in my 1984 VW rabbit held up better!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 AM
VTEC HoooA

I nominate Boltjames as president and CEO of the "Derogatory posts that have nothing to do with the original post" club.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Thanks Nodoze. I'm tired of the bitching, that's all. Let me get this straight: Honda has made millions of vehicles with cutting-edge technology but the headliner on the 2004 TL is a 'big' problem? Please. That's like saying Boeing has an issue with seat-recline buttons on it's 747-500's. McDonald's french fry containers are shoddy. Coca-Cola pull-tabs are not functioning.

I'll be the first to vote for a forum specific to Quality Issues. I'm tired of reading about these supposed problems that affect a very few buyers. When I read that a few people that were going to make a purchase who just came in here for a little info and reassurance and then abandon the car simply because of all the negative posts by a few people with lemons, it's sort of scary.

To the headliner, I don't believe it at all. It's an April Fools joke that's gone on a week longer than expected methinks.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:23 AM
VTEC HoooA

BoltJames

I understand what you are saying, but honestly the frequency of the headliner complaint is increasing. Also there was another user who recently took a pic of his headliner, and it most definitely was coming down!

I don't like the bitch sessions either (some of the issues users are complaining about are silly) but this one seems to be on target!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I think a problem with the car, however minor it may seem to others, if it bothers the person complaining about it, it isn't silly to him/her.

I find it funny people complain about the complaining.....kinda the same thing, itsn't it.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Instructor

To the headliner, I don't believe it at all. It's an April Fools joke that's gone on a week longer than expected methinks.

Just a comment......the headliner issue is real. Mine was repaired by the dealer and 3 weeks later it is falling down again. The dealer commented that there were several others with the same problems. I think the warmer weather in the east will loosen some of the adhesive and the issue will become worse.

I do not think you would call the tire issue an April Fools joke if you do not have tire problems. The purpose of this forum is to learn (I agree, there is way too much whining) and the headliner issue is one to learn from. And, I am not whining about it.........it will be taken care of. End of story. :facelick:
Old 04-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Norse396
I think a problem with the car, however minor it may seem to others, if it bothers the person complaining about it, it isn't silly to him/her.

I find it funny people complain about the complaining.....kinda the same thing, itsn't it.
Well said!
Old 04-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by mspence3
Well said!
I second that.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Can Epoxy fix this - you know the two tube kind - mix it together, its like concrete. Or does the headliner need to be able to shift a little with the car - thus the Velcro stuff?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TBone - Ron A has posted some great info in the other headliner threads - do a search. The epoxy is not in place of the velcro, but rather is used to hold one half of the velcro in place (the top half).
Old 04-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76475
Old 04-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?p=749259
Old 04-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks rets!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Better known as "Skoopie"

Today I took some time and attempted to fix the problem myself. I asked my trim shop what they used glue the velcro to the roof of the car and they said they used an epoxy. I went to NAPA and they recommended Contact Cement. I scored the roof of the car with some fine sandpaper and cleaned all the surfaces with Laquer Thinner. I have the 3 pieces of Velcro in place but figured I would let it bond correctly overnight before I stuck the headliner to the pieces of velcro. I will let you know how the Contact Cement works out!

And to all the people complaining about me commenting about my car... Jam It..... I spent 35 grand any way you look at it and I don't expect the headliner to fall down. I know other people have the same problem so I am trying to comment on what I am trying which is what I thought this forum is all about. If you don't like what I say... :thefinger
Old 04-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Thanks for the finger Skoopie, but you aren't fooling me.

Headliner problem? He he he. Nice try. Of the 24,000 or so parts on a modern vehicle, the headliner is one of 5 that has gone virtually unchanged since Henry Ford rolled his first Model T off the line, and you're going to tell me that skilled workers trained by Japanese engineers who have been making millions of cars since 1970 have somehow neglected to stretch a piece of fabric across the roof of the cockpit?

Even if what you say is true, don't you think this is more indicative of a batch of bad glue and/or a dose of bad luck rather than a "first class quality issue that is plaguing the new TL" as your posts on the subject project?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:35 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Headliner problem? He he he. Nice try. Of the 24,000 or so parts on a modern vehicle, the headliner is one of 5 that has gone virtually unchanged since Henry Ford rolled his first Model T off the line, and you're going to tell me that skilled workers trained by Japanese engineers who have been making millions of cars since 1970 have somehow neglected to stretch a piece of fabric across the roof of the cockpit?

Even if what you say is true, don't you think this is more indicative of a batch of bad glue and/or a dose of bad luck rather than a "first class quality issue that is plaguing the new TL" as your posts on the subject project?
Your initial statement is pretty much entirely false, excluding possibly the 24K stat. I've been working on cars for over 28 years and one thing that has changed dramatically is interior parts, pieces, and application methods. The headliner in the TL is no exception, nor is the method of adhering it to the roof structure.

Read the short post above by Norse396, it applies to you. The shear amount of rattles found in the 2004 TL that many are complaining about is definitely a sign of poor quality and/or lack of manufacturing foresight. This and the headliner coming down time after time is an indication that "something" could have been designed better. Be happy your car meets or exceeds your personal expectations and allow those sharing less than satisfying experiences to inform the masses...... One day, heaven forbid, it could be you.

Happy Easter all

As always, just my personal opinion
Old 04-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Respecting everybody's personal opinions is definitely cool.

But keep in mind, we're not talking about the headliner "drooping" or "falling" the way it sometimes did on older cars - ya know, where the cloth can drop so low it actually impairs your vision! Those were horrible!

This is a relatively minor separation of the headliner from the roof - many people have had it and not even noticed until they read about it here! Yes, it still shouldn't happen, and yes, Acura should come up with a good fix and be done with it. But that doesn't make the problem anything major or indicative of major quality problems with the car. I respect differing opinions but I just don't buy that theory.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

So what are the updates on the epoxy fix? I was suppose to go in for a headliner fix for the second time this past weekend, but decided i'm gonna wait because obviously they are gonna do the exact same thing they did before.

I actually noticed that when i leave my car in the sun, the headliner comes off more because of the heat.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:11 PM

Thumb tacks may help
Old 04-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Burning Brakes

What planet are you from? There's no excuse for Honda/Acura selecting a headliner bonding method and not testing it in multiple climates and simulating its wear over time. If some car's are experiencing this problem now, can you imagine how many will experience it after a few climate cycles? We'll see how your naivety turns around if you're on the receiving end of one of the multiple "dose of bad luck" problems.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

BarryH:

Look, I understand that some people have this problem, okay?

It's just that the issue's been raised and the resolution is "go to your dealer and he'll fix it". What is the point of continuing to discuss it as if it's some big / earth-shattering problem? It isn't.

If my radio knob fell off I wouldn't come in here screaming "Ahhhhh! My Radio Knob Is The Devil!". I'd instead say (to myself only) "Oops.....this happens sometimes. I'll take it to my friendly Acura dealer and get it fixed in about 30 seconds and that'll be that".

It's getting boring, that's all. It's an act of nature. The headliner "expert" that got 33,000 headliners right called in sick for two days. His replacement didn't dab enough glue on the 300 headliners that are making 4 of you in here all 'outraged'. BFD. Don't cry "fire" in a crowded theater amongst a bunch of jumpy moviegoers if it's just a smoldering matchstick, that's all.

News flash: It's a first generation vehicle. The first batch is going to have a few glitches that'll be fixed along the way. You (we) knew what we were getting into. Honda has a fabulous reputation for quality and didn't just get stupid overnight; it was a brand new model car that has a few (I repeat, a FEW) minor issues as to be expected with a brand new model.

Flatspotting almost drove me away from Acura to another brand until I took a test drive and remembered that 33,500 owners who aren't posting here probably are just as happy with their Bridgestone's as I am. Ten posts on the headliner "issue" that isn't an issue isn't right because, in some cases, it's creating a perception that isn't real.

BJ
Old 04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Instructor

oops... wrong post. :smackhead
Old 04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Life is good.

...32 attempts later (in other words after getting owned by the headliner 32 times), I'm using epoxy! :thefinger
Old 04-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Instructor

My headliner is fine but the thin film over the third brake light cover starts bubbling and falling slowly. I think Acura definitely needs to do something about it.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Instructor

What film are you guys talkin about? i'm confused as to what your exactly talkin about.