Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first drive with my TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first drive with my TL

2006 NBP TL, bought it in Georgia off my pops. He's never had a single problem with it and hasn't even taken it above 95 yet. So I leave Wednesday around 2100 hours, and around 1200 miles in the middle of nowhere in Texas...I lose throttle. Cruise control was set at 86 and all of sudden everything was on except for the throttle. Pull over off an exit (amazingly I was right next to one). Hillbillies galore, no import shop, just a guy who was nice enough to run diagnostics and give me the engine code. U0107. I call up georgia and they tell me its the throttle actuator or something like that. they tell me the nearest acura dealer ship from my location is 6 hours back east....over a thousand dollars tow...but my buddy hooked me up with a 50 mile tow and we found a honda dealer in Midland texas. I bring the TL around, they have no idea what to do seeing as only one mechanic even knows about Acura....he plays with it for four hours, I am forced into a crackhead motel, and the next afternoon I walk over and he says a relay is burnt out behind the dashboard. He replaces it two hours to closing time (Friday 1400 hours). I pull out, seems good, go to the gas station, fill up....start her up....engine light is back on again and I got no throttle. I get her back to the shop....he pulls the dash out again, and starts to try to ghetto rig the relay and the prongs...acura tells him to tighten up the relay as much as possible...he takes it on a 20 minute test drive with the dash off and shaking the relay...brings her back and i am off. 300 miles down the 20 W, middle of nowhere, check engine light starts blinking and my heart drops. But, I have power and can accelerate. Six hours later, the engine light shuts off and I get the hell outta dodge without incident. 14 hours later its 0400 hours and I am washin my TL in the driveway scrubbin the thousands of bugs I destroyed along the way.

Sorry if i built the story up but I just thought it was hilarious my first trip out with her and she gave me problems. I think she isn't happy about leaving 93 octane and having to put up with 91. I'll be taking her to Acura and having them see what's up with the engine light and why it shut off.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm lost..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CriminalKillJoy
2006 NBP TL, bought it in Georgia off my pops. He's never had a single problem with it and hasn't even taken it above 95 yet. So I leave Wednesday around 2100 hours, and around 1200 miles in the middle of nowhere in Texas...I lose throttle. Cruise control was set at 86 and all of sudden everything was on except for the throttle. Pull over off an exit (amazingly I was right next to one). Hillbillies galore, no import shop, just a guy who was nice enough to run diagnostics and give me the engine code. U0107. I call up georgia and they tell me its the throttle actuator or something like that. they tell me the nearest acura dealer ship from my location is 6 hours back east....over a thousand dollars tow...but my buddy hooked me up with a 50 mile tow and we found a honda dealer in Midland texas. I bring the TL around, they have no idea what to do seeing as only one mechanic even knows about Acura....he plays with it for four hours, I am forced into a crackhead motel, and the next afternoon I walk over and he says a relay is burnt out behind the dashboard. He replaces it two hours to closing time (Friday 1400 hours). I pull out, seems good, go to the gas station, fill up....start her up....engine light is back on again and I got no throttle. I get her back to the shop....he pulls the dash out again, and starts to try to ghetto rig the relay and the prongs...acura tells him to tighten up the relay as much as possible...he takes it on a 20 minute test drive with the dash off and shaking the relay...brings her back and i am off. 300 miles down the 20 W, middle of nowhere, check engine light starts blinking and my heart drops. But, I have power and can accelerate. Six hours later, the engine light shuts off and I get the hell outta dodge without incident. 14 hours later its 0400 hours and I am washin my TL in the driveway scrubbin the thousands of bugs I destroyed along the way.

Sorry if i built the story up but I just thought it was hilarious my first trip out with her and she gave me problems. I think she isn't happy about leaving 93 octane and having to put up with 91. I'll be taking her to Acura and having them see what's up with the engine light and why it shut off.
In that entire story, the one line that stuck out like a sore thumb was this one

"I think she isn't happy about leaving 93 octane and having to put up with 91"

I hope you are joking.

Anyways, this is weird. It's good it didn't turn into a worse situation. Definitely let Acura take care of it. Is it still under warranty?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ray-ban
In that entire story, the one line that stuck out like a sore thumb was this one

"I think she isn't happy about leaving 93 octane and having to put up with 91"

I hope you are joking.

Anyways, this is weird. It's good it didn't turn into a worse situation. Definitely let Acura take care of it. Is it still under warranty?
lol 93 isnt available everywhere 91 is still super
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I think he's joking guys, haha

Definetely get it checked out at Acura. Either your dad screwed you over or it's just some bad timing.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Hopefully it was bad timing.... It would suck if his own dad screwed him over!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 PM
8th Gear

Lol...no my dad has never steered me wrong, especially with cars.

I went to Acura and made an appointment and they offered me a "Loaner" car.... a very nice perk indeed.

Out here in Cali we don't have 93 octane....91 is the highest we go.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow! What an experience. Glad you made it though. I'm sure the dealership there will take care of the problem. Enjoy your new ride....... And welcome to AZ