3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Accident *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chill out... he is an asshole because he did not successfully cut someone off so you would not hit him....? lol yeah ok... And at 17 I drove a W30 442, so I am not jealous of a 17 year old with a tl. Oh yeah and I got superior honors in school and bought my own car..lol..

It happens all your life through. Few years back with a CL S a coworker said it must be nice to be single with no kids. Nope I got kids. Well must be nice to have two incomes, nope I am divorced. Well must be mortgaged to the hilt on that thing. Nope paid cash...

Get the car repaired take your licks and go about your business. I am sure some of the school buds are laughing because they thought you thought you were so cool with the nice ride and now the thing does not look perfect going down the street.

Best advice.. take it in stride you will be better for it...
Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just got an estimate...the actual damage and cost to repair everything....the a-spec front lip...the bumper....light re-alignment all the labor....the viewed estimate is 1100 thats not TERRIBLE because he said hes gonna sand down the a-spec lip and just re-paint it so im happy that i don't have to replace it, and were deciding not to do things through insurance so thats also good.....

Mickey3c....i don't think a TL could look bad going down the street no matter how messed up they.....they are just that gorgeous :-)
Old 02-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about the damage to the other car? Your insurance is not paying for it????

Well if it does not look bad, drive it as is...lol.

And the viewed estimate and actual may vary. I am not saying that the guy is trying to put one over on you. The damage looks minor... Plastic that has been deformed should be replaced, so make sure it is ok as is...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
It happens all your life through. Few years back with a CL S a coworker said it must be nice to be single with no kids. Nope I got kids. Well must be nice to have two incomes, nope I am divorced. Well must be mortgaged to the hilt on that thing. Nope paid cash...
You are my new hero.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:29 AM
321 whp SAE

beginners stupidity.. that's what you get when mommy and daddy buy you a car.. you drive like an idiot..
Old 03-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Grumpy

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
beginners stupidity.. that's what you get when mommy and daddy buy you a car.. you drive like an idiot..
Hey pan man...

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed? Burn the toast? Step on the cat?

Cut the kid some slack. He's traumatized.

This is an all-too-common accident. It happens when we assume the situation and then drive where we are not looking based on that assumption. (i.e.: the car will continue his forward momentum so I can now occupy that space).

Bad mistake.

I also see people look behind them, see no obstructions, then back up fifty feet or so while looking forward. They fail to consider that cars or pedestrians could come into that space when you're not looking.

It's simplistic advice but new drivers never seem to heed it: Look where you're going.

We weren't much different when we were 17.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Happened to me too, when I was 17, thought the car went and shifted my attention. fortuneatly, I learned my lesson and i am more careful, but yeah, experience is playing as role in the accident.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Team WD Photographer

I finally deleted the pics I had online, but dude...your car is fine. Just get a front cap and be done with it.

I had a car pull out in front of me (a search should bring up the thread) when I was doing 50+. It ripped the front right wheel and suspension out of my car. Their POS Sebring was totalled. I had about 16000 in damage and the wouldn't total mine. It is a unibody BTW...no old school frame. Mine was F'ed up so bad I sold it for salvage. There was NO WAY I was going to take it back. I took a big hit in the pocket book, but oh well.

Cars these days can't hit shit without getting mangled.

Sucks though. I can feel your pain. Shoot...the TL is my wife's car
Old 03-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Instructor

the same thing happened to me when i was 18 so its no big deal, you live and you learn. the funny thing is the fool didnt even stop after io hit him he just kept on driving.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:37 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the same shit happend to me a few months back and it looked like somethin baddd had happened because of the impact. I hit the rear of an RSX but luckily nothing happened to his but myy bumper had a little paint chip. and it was his moms car too reall cool guy. But damn shit like this happens, and when u just drivin u dont expect it to happen. Just don't try to predict that the driver is gonna go. No real way to avoid it
Old 03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i know i was at fault, but the moron in front of me, stepped on the gas and tried to make the turn fast but then the front of his car was blocking half of the road and he didn't make it so he stopped short and im inching up thinking that he went and then i rolled right into him, i know im at fault, i rear ended him, but really the thought that there are assholes like that, and he gets angry about a broken tail light where the front of my car is fucked up. the light works, just the cover broke....ERRRRRR

I agree with you about him flipping out about the Broken taillight thing...

But...

If you are saying he's an asshole because he tried to just jump out in the street instead of waiting for an opening, then wouldn't you have been doing the same thing? Shouldn't you have been looking at the back of his car, instead of looking on the street for an opening to jump in yourself? If you had your head turned you were most likely trying to cut someone off as well, or possibly follow the subaru in cutting off someone. But I dunno, just my
Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Cruisin'

I did the same thing a few years back in a moded Dodge Dakota R/T. We were stopped at a red light, traffic started to move, not paying attention I nail it, not realizing the guy in front of me has stopped again. With over 350lbs of torque my truck caved the Malibu's trunk in.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The TL got the second worst bumper performance rating from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety... [Marginal]. In fact most cars in its class got Poor ratings, only 1 car got Acceptable which was the Lexus ES. Other cars in other categories that were rated Good, were the A4, Passat, and the last gen Maxima.

It's a shame no one pays attention to bumbers anymore. I guess it's cheaper to treat them like an expendable commodity.

John

Quote from IIHS:

"Bumpers should protect car bodies from damage in low-speed collisions, the kind that frequently occur in congested urban traffic. But many don't. The Institute conducts four 5 mph crash tests to assess bumper performance: front-into-flat-barrier, rear-into-flat-barrier, front-into-angle-barrier, and rear-into-pole."

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/...eed_midlux.htm
"Models listed together are identical except for minor styling and trim differences. Therefore, the bumpers ratings apply to each model listed. "
Old 03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
the idiot stopped short because he tried to cut off someone when he was making the turn but his timing was bad so he stopped short halfway in the road, and both cars stopped and im inching up because i thought he went....

This is a classic follow-on accident. It's happened to me twice . . . Guy in front moves you move looking left (or right depending on the turn) to see any new traffic moving toward you. The fellow in front stops short and you ram him. It is simply a caution object lesson. Never 'assume' what the other guy is doing. Always assume the worse and be prepared to react. I've noticed how sensitive the TL to quick lurches. Gotta feather that gas pedal . . .I rammed the back of a high bed truck couple years ago in my new Acura RL! I was stopped at a light behind him (too close) he moved I moved he stopped I couldn't. Crumpled the hood - radiator and hood mount bracket - knocked out the left light assembly and crunched the bumper - $5,0000 damage. Had to repaint the entire front of car to get the new hood to match in. DWP is a bitch to match. Car was good as new a couple weeks later - but I knew it was not new!! I traded it for my '05 TL and never looked back.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
$5,0000 damage. Had to repaint the entire front of car to get the new hood to match in. DWP is a bitch to match. Car was good as new a couple weeks later - but I knew it was not new!! I traded it for my '05 TL and never looked back.
$50K worth of damage... wow!

Just kidding, we know what you meant...
Same thing also happened to me in an old Nissan Sentra (my beater at the time). Foggy day in Omaha NE - Lady in front pulls out, I delay then go while looking left, bamb! I run into her.... She was literally stopped in the middle of the street.. Said she thought she saw someone coming... I said: "OK, that was me Lady!!!!"
My insurance premium increased for the next three years due to her billiance...
--Yes, I know it was ultimately my fault,, but I still blame it on her.........

All part of the driving learning experience. I just thank God all of my "leaning experiences" took place without injury to me or anyone else....