Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Fender Bender Story

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Fender Bender Story

So I was going about 20 mph on a very busy freeway almost bumper to bumper(60fwy) when a sebring slams on his breaks and rear ends me... Im ok but started freaking out and thinking the worst thing that could happen to my car. We pull over and it turns out his front license plate hit my ASpec kit (the greyish piece) which left couple scuff marks.

He was really nice and we exchanged information. He's staying here in So Cali. for a week...what do you guys think.. I should do? Pics coming soon..
Old 02-11-2006, 12:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Talk about de ja vu. Virtually the same thing happened to me recently, only it was someone who tried to parallel park behind me who did the exact same thing with his/her front license plate.

So depressing...
Old 02-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Yeah looking at it today it doesnt look too bad.. Im still debating if i should make him pay
Old 02-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I were you, I would definitely go get a quote and give it to him and if it's not too much he might want to just pay you out of his pocket and if you feel the damage isn't too bad and you can live with it then you have some extra cash.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by TL'n IT UP
Yeah looking at it today it doesnt look too bad.. Im still debating if i should make him pay
If you're a perfectionist, I guess you'd probably need to get that part sanded down, filled (possibly), and repainted. Parts and labour will run you close to $200 (I think). Why wouldn't you get him to pay it? He caused it, no?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Columbia Univ. c/o 2004

A similar incident happen to me as well (about 3 weeks ago). Almost identical.

I was on the 55 North freeway (just north of the 405 by John Wayne's airport - if your familar with that region), and a student from UCI rear ended me. I was on my way to have dinner and the freeway was heavily congested. So it was stop and go, much like yours. At some point I came to a full stop and a several seconds later I felt my car nudge forward. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw this kid slapping himself and yanking on his hair (literally). It turns out (his story/excuse) was that he was juggling with his CD player and his foot slipped off the brake pedal and went into my bumper. Like you his license plate hit the rear of my Aspec lip. There's a small faint scratch/indention on the kit; its not really noticeable unless you run your fingers across the trim, or if you intentionally look for it! Coming out of the car, the kid (well not so much a kid, he's 21) was completely unprepared and nervous. I had to literally tell him to get all of his info out and what information/documents we needed to exchange. The whole time he was apologizing, which he should be.

It doesn't end there, believe it or not! That next day, I got a flat tire and had to dish out more cash to replace it. And that night of the flat tire, my girlfriend was trying to parallel park and backed up into my car (she hit the front license plate, so I can't even see a mark - thank god!).

Anyways, I took the car to a couple of body shops for inspection. I doubt that theres frame damage, but I wanted to be safe. The inspector said that the collision was likely to be too gentle to have caused any internal damage besides the minor scratch on the surface. The inspector then proceeded to tell me that if I wanted to know for sure whether or not there was frame damage, he would have to take off the bumper and I would be charged for that (unless I go through insurance or have the kid pay for it). So I placed a report with my insurance company and notified his insurance agency as well regarding the situation. At this point, I'm still waiting on their call. To fix the scratch, the inspector quoted me $250 (I took it to Browning at Cerritos Acura and also to Honda World of Westminister) to look at. The kid said he would reimburse me for the fix for the scratch if I liked.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the long write up. I ended up taking the $250 from the kid and up till this point I still have the scratch. I never had the bumper taken off for them to inspect if there was any frame bending. I used the $250+extra to have the custom magnaflow exhaust installed last week.

Things happen, and unfortunately it happen to the both of us. Sorry to hear, but believe me I know how you feel. Just go to the body shop and request a qoute on the scratch (get it in writing) and forward it to the other party. Take his money and do what you want with it.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Columbia Univ. c/o 2004

By the way, I was looking at your signature. I'm thinking that the parts you listed in black are what you are planning to mod with the car, yes? The items in red is what you've already done to it!

Well if your still looking for the AEM CAI, I know of a vendor in SoCal that can sell the intake for cheaper than any of the ebay listings or advertise prices on any website. His only demands is that it must be picked up (he will not ship) and must be paid for in cash. Hence, no taxes or shipping cost! PM for details.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Yeah you guys are right, the bump on the aspec kit isnt that bad after looking at it several times. I will take your advice and go get and estimate and get some money from this guy. He can fund my exhaust ::
Old 02-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
pics first, then post ;x
Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Instructor

going through the 60 everyday, random crazy drivers swerving left and right during rush hour, that freeway is so dangerous and yet its unavoidable. at least it isnt a huge accident. just get some pocket change from him to fix the damage and let it slide
Old 02-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Instructor

My sister, of all people, tapped my ass at a stop light, put a damn crease in my bumper. Man, if we were still in our teens, I likely woulda smacked her down!